Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Afraid so. Stubbornly focusing on running it anyway but starting to consider the non stubborn withdrawal. Giving myself every chance with home remedies, chemist and doctor remedies and not being stupid and running this evening remedy ;) But honestly if I feel as bad as I did this morning on Monday I will have to bow out.

You'll have a pretty good idea by tomorrow morning I guess. Really hope you wake up feeling 100%. Crossing everything for you!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Just drove by the 3 mile & 5k signs on the quays. Getting very real now!
    Although they have the wrong date on the course route warning sign on Parkgate Street :P

Same here. When I saw the 25 mile marker outside the RDS this afternoon, I had to take a pic. When you don't live or work in Dublin, and you're not used to seeing them, it gives you a dose of the giddies

signpost.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

What time is wave one actually going off at? Some places say 9.00 and others 9.10. Both on official sites as far as I can tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

skittles11 wrote: »
    What time is wave one actually going off at? Some places say 9.00 and others 9.10. Both on official sites as far as I can tell.
    The first wave is at 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Ososlo wrote: »
    Sean Puddin/Maggot Brain suggested 3pm in the pub as a time for people to meet up. Around the pool table in McGrattan's.

And just how long are people planning on staying ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Good luck to everyone running on Monday. Hope everything goes to plan and you all achieve your goals. I remember well the mixed feelings in the few days prior to race day, don't worry if you are nervous, it's expected and is healthy!

Stick to your plans and remind yourselves of all the hard work you have put in. Enjoy the day and the atmosphere, it's unbeatable. Will be there at the sidelines this year cheering you all on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Here is a link if people want to make up their own pace band.

http://www.marathonguide.com/fitnesscalcs/pacebandcreator.cfm

To join the ends I just cut one end indented so it would fit through the other end and fasten.

Edit. The pdf doesn't open for me on GS5 but it worked fine on a PC. There seems to be an issue with new Acrobat opening files.

Very good question!

Wonder why so many people are getting sick this year. This thread and main DCM thread. I don't remember this other years. There are always one or two but seem to be an awful lot this year. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Probably a mix of people making a sprint stop and people taking on a second endurance challenge in a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

skittles11 wrote: »
    Don't think I'm as sick as you but feel like in getting a cold so sitting tight tonight. Have done very little running this week but feeling bursts of confidance through the nervousness!! Hopefully I'll see a few of you in the pub. What sort of time will people start arriving?

Hi Pacing Mule and Skittles, sorry to hear u are both struggling, know how u feel as I was very bad with Man Flu all week. Took Solphasinus,Kelkin effervescent tablets 'with zinc' (chemists advice) and a few spoons of 'Exputex' to clear the nose and chest. Although still not 100%, I am a lot better now and I am going to give it a lash anyway!

Get to a late night pharmacy and get some of that stuff or similar in to you. Suggest that if you feel in anyway better on Monday, to start the DCM and give it a go, bring a bit of money to get a taxi home if the worst happens.....might be worth the risk if you feel up to it....u both are in good shape with all the training that you have done to this point and hopefully it will stand to you on the day. Best of luck with whatever u decide!

Met Auld Man King at the expo....good crack and bit more banter thrown in......off now to watch Rocky 1,2,3 and 4.......
    :-) :-)

Wonder why so many people are getting sick this year. This thread and main DCM thread. I don't remember this other years. There are always one or two but seem to be an awful lot this year. :(
    Seems to be a lot of bugs around atm. Know a few people with flu's etc. Bad timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Quick one for anyone that's has been to the expo? Is there a stand selling high 5 iso gels? They are my gel of choice and of course I went to buy some today and the shop didn't have any!

Yes, box of 25 citrus+ for €17.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I'm alternating between nerves and excitement frequently.

I've broken the course down into segments: start to the park, to chapelizod, to halfway, to mile 16, to Milltown, to mile 25 and to the finish. It tallies with where I should have support and most of the segments are reasonably spread out. A new target to focus on after each one.

Went to the expo today. Didn't see the tanned figure of AMK at the pacer stand but think marthastew was one of the pacers helping. Stopped off in town on the way home and grabbed some clothes to wear Monday morning. Came back home and hit the couch for a couple of hours before going for a very very easy 2 miles. 12 minute pace. Did my Garmin upload and deleted history - thanks for the tip. I've clocked up 485 miles over the training.

No running tomorrow, will relax with tv, book and watching football. Probably go for a 20/30 min gentle walk. What's making me extra nervous I think is a bit of tightness/tiredness in a calf. Only appeared this week - not sure how much of it is just extra paranoia and worry. Not sore or anything but just seems a bit "something". Hopefully it's nothing serious and will be fine on the day.

If anyone else is planning on starting with the 4h 50m pacers - might be nice to recognize one or two people to perhaps pass a couple of miles with. Let me know if so - I'll be the nervous one wearing the navy 2012 half marathon t-shirt :) I will have Laura on my bib.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    I'm alternating between nerves and excitement frequently.

I've broken the course down into segments: start to the park, to chapelizod, to halfway, to mile 16, to Milltown, to mile 25 and to the finish. It tallies with where I should have support and most of the segments are reasonably spread out. A new target to focus on after each one.

Went to the expo today. Didn't see the tanned figure of AMK at the pacer stand but think marthastew was one of the pacers helping. Stopped off in town on the way home and grabbed some clothes to wear Monday morning. Came back home and hit the couch for a couple of hours before going for a very very easy 2 miles. 12 minute pace. Did my Garmin upload and deleted history - thanks for the tip. I've clocked up 485 miles over the training.

No running tomorrow, will relax with tv, book and watching football. Probably go for a 20/30 min gentle walk. What's making me extra nervous I think is a bit of tightness/tiredness in a calf. Only appeared this week - not sure how much of it is just extra paranoia and worry. Not sore or anything but just seems a bit "something". Hopefully it's nothing serious and will be fine on the day.

If anyone else is planning on starting with the 4h 50m pacers - might be nice to recognize one or two people to perhaps pass a couple of miles with. Let me know if so - I'll be the nervous one wearing the navy 2012 half marathon t-shirt :) I will have Laura on my bib.
    You seem to be well set up Laura! Great to chop the course up into segments like that. Foam roll the calf a bit tonight and tomorrow.
    It might be more 'in the head' than anything at this point though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

adrian522 wrote: »
    They are ok, they are every 10 mins. There is a sticky bit on the back to seal it onto your arm but it is just paper, so you would need to sellotape it.

I have my own printed out and covered in sellotape so I'll use that.

Didn't realise AMK was at the pacer stand, would have stopped to say hello. The guy i was talking to is pacing 3:50 which was is what I'm running.

Those pacebands at the expo are already waterproof, no need to sellotape them.
    Nice to meet you Annapr today!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Is there a need for a pace band if you are following a pacer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Casey78 wrote: »

No, but maybe for your 'plan b' pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Just dropped in to say good luck to everyone for Monday morning. I'm still not up and running at any distance, except the occasional 10metre test jog... Had been thinking the delayed recovery was a blessing in disguise, as if it had improved a week ago I'd be trying to find a way to rehab it quickly for DCM. But now it's time for the leg to sort itself for good, I have other marathons to train for now!

Am in Dublin anyhow, so will head up to Fortfield Road/Kimmage to inhale a bit of the atmosphere. Hoping to catch "my" pack (ie the sub 4hr novices), and of course give a bit of support to Ososlo's assistants in the 3:40 pacer group ....

Thanks Ososlo for all the mentoring. Was a great introduction to Long Slow Distance on the thread.

Good luck everyone!!! Smash those targets on Monday :) And don't start out too fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

best of luck everybody for monday, am jealous of where you are all at, can feel the tension all over the net about monday, you've put in the miles, surmounted each challenge, now to add one more letter to what big jack charlton said..... "go and complete"............ :D

hope to be there to see it, used to go as a kid, into Dublin for the marathon back in the early 80s to support anyone we knew (gerry carr and mick kelly) and its now time to get a bit of that atmos again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ice9

I think if you are following a pace group and you have the equivalent pace band then it is only of use to distract you rather than to actually ensure your time. Don't underestimate that distraction though depending on your personality. It is good to keep your mind off the legs or the amount of distance left by keeping your mind occupied with checking progress on the band against where you are and seeing if you are a little ahead or a little behind. It creates a distraction that can be very useful.

If you have a gps watch you don't really need one [average pace provides constant feedback to your current projected finish time] but might be good to have in case the tech pixies scupper the watch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

You seem to be well set up Laura! Great to chop the course up into segments like that. Foam roll the calf a bit tonight and tomorrow.
    It might be more 'in the head' than anything at this point though.

Cheers ososlo. Well that was another tip I got from here ;) that's what I'm hoping alright. I just can't wait to get started at this stage :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Went to the Expo later this afternoon, no crowds at all... have the bag so feel like it's all real now... :)

Good to meet the legend that is Tommy Tiernan AKA Meno at the Pacers stand and to see Fbot looking fresh and ready to pace the 4:10 gang.

then on impulse instead of going home, we drove around the course... so at least I can say I have completed it... ;) absolutely buzzing now, can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 carmendub

Just watched the movie "Spirit of the Marathon" there!It's a must watch for everyone before Monday,so inspirational and has turned my nerves into excitement!Best of luck on Monday everyone ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

carmendub wrote: »
    Just watched the movie "Spirit of the Marathon" there!It's a must watch for everyone before Monday,so inspirational and has turned my nerves into excitement!Best of luck on Monday everyone ;-)

Great movie.
    There is a "Spirit of the Marathon 2" but I can't find it anywhere online.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 carmendub

Great movie.
    There is a "Spirit of the Marathon 2" but I can't find it anywhere online.

Ooh really,that could be on tomorrow nights agenda!if I find it

Ok Lassies and Lads, last major post before the big one. I know some of you will be signing off soon so I wanted to catch you before you go.
    I started big so I may as well end big also:D

I actually feel a bit teary eyed posting this :(
    Hosting this thread this year has been a very special experience for me. It’s been a pleasure and a privilege and I mean that very sincerely. When I was first asked to do it, my initial response was ‘no, please try and find someone else, I’m not knowledagble enough’. Then I got to thinking – hey, the mods think I can do it plus I’ll get to talk about my greatest passion - running - every day and night for 6 whole months and possibly impart some useful training and race experience to others. How bad can that be?

Firstly, some housekeeping. A very special mention to AuldManKing who has brought a few of our novices through the BAA programme and has given some fantastic advice to all the novices along the way. I don’t think I could have managed without you! I have no doubt the ladies (and lads!) will be queueing up to buy the Running Adonis a drink on Monday ;) He’ll be perfecting his super cool pose now for 3pm leaning non-chalantly against the pool table with pool cue in hand to meet his adoring public ;)

To the other Boardsies who have helped out in a big way, I tip my Nike running cap to you. Again, special mention to menoscemo, Raycun, Redrunner (my other glamourous assistant) ecoli (come back soon!) tunguska (some fantastic posts I've bookmarked for the future!) dr. quirky, Gavlor, and a big shout out to my special technical support guy ;) and anyone else who helped me and the novices out.
    Thanks guys.

So to the 2014 Novices. What fun we've all had since the thread started:D I am so impressed with the dedication you’ve shown to your training over the months. No matter what the target – sub 3:30 or 5 hours or to complete the distance, the commitment all round has been superb to watch unfold. Going out there and doing a 3-4+ hour training run in every condition possible shows true dedication, passion and love for your sport. Keep that level of commitment up post DCM and you’ll see massive improvements in your running.

DCM will be a wonderful experience for you if you run it sensibly on Monday. One final piece of advice I want to give to you yet again is to ensure you do nothing on Monday that will mean you’ll put yourself out of the sport for a long time. I’ve said it before, it’s a very special race, but it’s just one race of the many many races you’ll be doing in the future. If you’re injured, don’t run. If you get injured on the course, don’t run through pain. You know your body, so listen to it very closely and if something feels like it’s torn or badly hurt or you’re doing damage that just doesn’t feel right then call it a day. Running/struggling for 26.2 miles on an injury could mean you’re not running for the next 6 months or more. It’s really not worth putting yourself out of action for a long period. Be sensible people.

I want to see you ALL back running 2/3 weeks after DCM and posting your training when you've recovered from the race. Too many people each year just join the thread and once DCM is over we never hear of them again. I want you all to stick around this year. If there's any interest I'll post up a short Post Marathon training plan in a few weeks. Then we’ll get someone more experienced to take you through some more specific training from late November. Spend your time after the race considering what you’d like your next running goal to be. Maybe a Spring marathon, DCM again next year or concentrate on 5ks and 10ks or turn your hand to sprinting.

So, for Monday morning, don’t forget to:
    - Pin on your number to your singlet/teeshirt the night before and try it on so that it’s attached firmly and comfortably. I get very nervous the day of a race and don't like fiddling with pins as I usually end up sticking them in myself!

- Make sure you have the same socks/jocks/underwear/gloves etc that you know are comfortable washed and ready to wear from Sunday night.

- Have your Bib number written onto the bag you receive at the Expo.

- Have an A plan, B plan and C plan for meeting up with your beloveds after the race. All goes to plan, arrange to meet them half an hour or so after you expect to cross the finish line. B plan, you’re a lot slower than you envisaged, have them wait somewhere where they can hang out easily to wait for you. C plan (worst case scenario, won’t happen...), something goes wrong, you should have a number of next of kin on reverse of your bib so the stewards can contact someone to come and meet you.

- If you don’t sleep the night before, try not to let it worry you. Don’t get into a panic. Deep breaths, relax and smile. Panicking won’t help you. Relaxing will.

- Try to force your breakfast down even if you’re having trouble. Give yourself LOADS of time to eat it as slowly as necessary.

- Have a list of everything you’ll be bringing with you and tick it off that morning.

- Try to avoid having to drive after the race.

- Smile crossing the finishing line no matter how you're feeling!

- Drink plenty of water after the race and try to eat something bland like a banana, croissant, breakfast bar etc very soon. Get a good meal into you as soon as possible. You mightn't feel like it but try and force yourself as it'll help with your recovery.

- When you're finished the race make it to the pub/home/wherever you’re going to relax, my advice to you is to get up and move around every so often. I think that letting the blood flow regulary will help with your recovery. It’d be easy to sit in the pub/couch and not moving for 4 hours. Not a good idea. Don't let the legs seize up. Keep 'em moving for the rest of the day for short intervals.

- Try to have a cold bath (Personally I'll never attempt an ice bath again as it was 100 times more painful than DCM!) that evening/night.

The last 2 miles or so of DCM are indescribable. I certainly don't have the words to impart to you about how amazing you'll feel but I really hope you all get to that point in the race where you are in a position to truly enjoy and appreciate it.

So that's all for now folk, but just one last thing before I go - Press play, and TURN IT UP......... LOUD!

Great post;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

Thanks Ososlo & your team for all the help & guidance over the past few months :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

thanks Ososlo for all the support!

Had a nice Marathon goodwill moment today on the way to the Expo... realised after parking in Ballsbridge that I left my acceptance slip all nicely printed out at home (blamed Murph initially but it was really my own fault). Decided to go in and see if I could still register, then popped into the Chemist across the road from the RDS to see if they knew of any printing facilities nearby. The nice girl there said no, but when she heard what it was for, she immediately said 'I'll print it for you', emailed to her from my phone and 2 minutes later off we went. She was lovely, wished us the best of luck, said she's a long-distance swimmer but couldn't imagine doing a marathon. So Irish :)

getting good vibes before it even starts.!

Advertisement