Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Best of luck, all you debut marathoners.

Like some other things in life, the first time is rarely your greatest performance, but it's often the most memorable. :)

Trust the training, grab the reward, enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

With the predicted (relatively) high temperatures, don't overdress for tomorrow. Dress as light as possible and don't forget to get plenty of water and salts on board during the race. Ideally take the Lucozade Sport when it is on offer and sip on it, but only if you are used to it and confident it won't turn your stomach.

The wind looks quite strong too but it should be with us for most of the 2nd half, so tuck in behind a nice big group for most of the first half and if feeling good, push on from mile 15/16 onwards.

Best of luck everyone and hope to see a lot of you in McGrattans afterwards.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Anyone care to throw up some cheesy youtube videos?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Dear Ososlo and her superb team of advisers,
    Thanks to all for your help, support and patience over the last few months. I am incredibly grateful.
    For the Boards plan you created, which I mostly followed. I'll be honest I only realised last Friday after Adrian posted that he'd done his 5 miles, 3 at MP that I finally worked out what the yellow meant on the spreadsheet. Ah 3 at Marathon Pace, I always had 3 Mile pace, what's that like :eek:. So this is why it was mostly followed.
    For my training I have to be confident that I've only had one really awful run, my one lost toenail too so that's not bad going.
    For all my fellow novices who have also helped me along this journey I thank you all and wish you a great run tomorrow.
    Gutted now I didn't get out of bed and do the breakfast run, most for the free t-shirt! :p
    I did my last pre-marathon jog, 2 miles. Legs heavy so foam rolled. It's a bit bloody windy out there today! Slight neck pain today which better ease today. I SWEAR I've a sore toe for no reason either.
    I really enjoyed the expo yesterday and wasn't as wound up as I thought I would be. I re-introduced myself to marthastew as she was my 1.50 pacer and she has me so looking forward to the day as she is so positive.
    I really hope I make the pub to thank you all.
    Last night wasn't such a super nights rest as a lot of fluids were taken on board yesterday so a lot of toilet breaks.
    Different race number so will update the spreadsheet now to be stalked and hope not to break it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Best of luck all you marathon virgins. You have got some great guidance here over the last few months, use it tomorrow.
    Soak in he atmosphere before the start, it's great. Race smart and try and enjoy the race. Remember you only run your first marathon once.
    Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I cant update my bib no on the spreadsheet on my phone, its 14433 though for anyone out supporting! I'll have a white club singlet on.

Its very very windy out there :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Bib number 13947. Now where are those safety pins!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Good luck and happy running tomorrow everyone!!!

Does anyone have a link to that spreadsheet that works out what time I will be at Mile 18 given my pace (3hrs 50), wave 2? Thanks! And good luck again everyone!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

The very best to all first timers tomorrow. Your about to do something extraordinary, you will never forget your first marathon.
    My advice for what its worth:
    Don't do or eat anything unusual today. Put your feet up this evening and relax, you've done all the work.
    Lay out your gear this evening and look over it a few times to make sure you've forgotten nothing. You don't want to be stressing out in the morning looking for stuff.
    Its OK to be nervous.
    Don't get carried away over the first half of the race, your legs will feel good after your taper, but hold back and stick to your plan, you will need all the extra energy later.
    The last few miles will hurt, accept it and if you get into real trouble concentrate on one step at a time. Let the support carry you to the finish.
    Try smile when you cross the finish line, you will look back on that photo for years to come.
    You may be in a state of shock when you finish, not really be able to take it all in, don't worry it will soon pass and enjoy the great feeling of your achievement over the next week. Despite the sore legs you will feel your walking on air.
    A few months ago you embarked on a personal journey, and times its been tough, maybe at times you doubted if you would get this far, but you have and tomorrow is your day.
    You will find out things about yourself you never knew tomorrow and the person who starts their first marathon will not be the same person who finishes ever again.
    Good luck and enjoy. You're awesome;).

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

Can't post number onto spreadsheet on my phone. If anyone can help out it's 3704. Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Tester46 wrote: »
    Good luck and happy running tomorrow everyone!!!

Does anyone have a link to that spreadsheet that works out what time I will be at Mile 18 given my pace (3hrs 50), wave 2? Thanks! And good luck again everyone!!!

It's in the mileage tracker linked in the first post. Unfortunately someone has messed it about and it's not working. Will fix it later on. Am on phone at moment so can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

It's in the mileage tracker linked in the first post. Unfortunately someone has messed it about and it's not working. Will fix it later on. Am on phone at moment so can't.

Thanks! I figured it out from the pacing band. It's 2hrs 38mins from the 9.10am start from wave 2 - 11.48-ish

...and again GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I just wanted to say thanks to Ososlo for her guidance, help, time and enthusiasm and all the other people who've been popping in with extra advice and support over the last few months.

Best of luck to all lining up tomorrow and let's hope for an enjoyable day.

Now where's that bagel for lunch.....

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ice9

haven't seen a lot on here about hydration tomorrow morning (it might be there). this is something I've been learning over the last 3 years (so far mostly the hard way!). Today is very important for hydration. The race is very important to focus on as far as hydration goes - well covered. However I think a lot of people over hydrate in the morning before the race.

So drink enough today to ensure your pee is light-straw colored and you know you are well hydrated that way. Really pay attention today.

Tomorrow morning drink 400 to 500 mls only pre-race and try and have it drank before 7/7:30. Bring a little bottle with you to the start to sip as you start and then hydrate as per plan as you do the run.

If you follow that advice you will be well hydrated and you will not have to pee 32 times before the gun goes ;-)

this has been a great thread thanks to Ososlo and everyone else. Hope everyone has a very special day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Noo ! I'm on the way to Dublin and my car's broken down. No idea how soon it will be fixed.

Does anyone know if I can email the acceptance slip to someone who can print it off, or does it have to be my signature on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

The very best of luck to all tomorrow. I assume its been mentioned to death but don't go out too hard. You want to be able to enjoy your first marathon. If it's going to be blustry, tuck in and let someone else do the work. The crowd over the last few miles are electric. Enjoy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Tracker spreadsheet seems OK now

I have put in the bib numbers for Firedance, annapr and skittles11 (and myself) but not the target times.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

email it and get them to print it off and go to the expo.

I wasn't asked for ID when getting my number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

ciaranmac wrote: »
    Noo ! I'm on the way to Dublin and my car's broken down. No idea how soon it will be fixed.

Does anyone know if I can email the acceptance slip to someone who can print it off, or does it have to be my signature on it?

Where are you stuck?

It has to be your signature on that - and a signed letter of permission and a photocopy of drivers license or passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Thanks to everyone for the advice and fun over the last 6 months. Only posted a few times, but it's been great to read about people in the same boat. Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Checking the route map and I don't see any toilet stops mentioned? I'm sure they are there but anyone know where? Hopefully won't need to but just in case. Anyone know?

Yeah, there's loads, it's mentioned in the program that came with the goody bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

aquinn wrote: »
    Checking the route map and I don't see any toilet stops mentioned? I'm sure they are there but anyone know where? Hopefully won't need to but just in case. Anyone know?

There are normally Portaloos beside each water stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

aquinn wrote: »

I'd advise you to go for a pee under a tree/bush in the Phoneix Park even if you don't feel you have to. It might save you needing to go later in the race and it's easier tuck in under a bush there rather than queuing for a portaloo. The former might take 20/30secs (I hope you all practiced peeing under trees on the lsr - I did warn yiz:D) whereas queuing might take a few mins. Obviously do queue later if you need to go.
    I do remember seeing toilets at quite a few spots last year but can't remember where sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

I'm a few miles from Ballinasloe waiting for the breakdown rescue to show up. I don't have a way to send anything with a physical signature on it but I could email the acceptance slip and a photo of my ID. A running buddy of a friend of mine is on his way to the expo anyway, he's offered to help but he has no way to print it. Hopefully I get on the road because it's touch and go otherwise.

menoscemo wrote: »
    With the predicted (relatively) high temperatures, don't overdress for tomorrow. Dress as light as possible and don't forget to get plenty of water and salts on board during the race. Ideally take the Lucozade Sport when it is on offer and sip on it, but only if you are used to it and confident it won't turn your stomach.

The wind looks quite strong too but it should be with us for most of the 2nd half, so tuck in behind a nice big group for most of the first half and if feeling good, push on from mile 15/16 onwards.

Best of luck everyone and hope to see a lot of you in McGrattans afterwards.

YES YES YES to this. It might have looked like a horrible winter's morning out there this morning but even running at easy pace I was sweating a bit. The wind was actually welcoming as it was nice and cooling so embrace it:D

ciaranmac wrote: »
    I'm a few miles from Ballinasloe waiting for the breakdown rescue to show up. I don't have a way to send anything with a physical signature on it but I could email the acceptance slip and a photo of my ID. A running buddy of a friend of mine is on his way to the expo anyway, he's offered to help but he has no way to print it. Hopefully I get on the road because it's touch and go otherwise.

If he shows your email to them on his phone I'm sure they'll make allowances. It wouldn't be the first time this has happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Best of luck to everyone - keep it calm today and have fun tomorrow!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Thanks for everything Ososlo. And to the rest of the backroom team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

Big shout out to Ososlo and her helpers for this amazing thread.
    It's got the vast majority of us novices through the last few months of training and the constant support and advice has been amazing.

Also to the other novices, thanks for sharing your experiences along the way - the good, the bad and the painful (home treatment of loose toe nails and bloody nipples come to mind!) It was great reading the long run reports and hear about everyone's mileage increasing week after week.

After a very slow week, today seems to be flying so I'm off to get everything ready for tomorrow now.

Best of luck to everyone running tomorrow, hope all goes well!

Advertisement