Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Hello! 4:52:53 for me today, that was honestly the hardest thing I have EVER done! Went out with the 4:40 pacers (who were really lovely by the way!), but should have realised that the speed was just a little bit too fast for me today. Was with them until about 14/15 miles and fell back. Mile 15, 16, 17 really hurt, and was really really struggling, was wondering would I finish at all to be honest! Then the most lovely girl feel in beside me and started chatting, just chit chat but it really took my mind off things, got up Roebuck hill with her which I will be eternally grateful for, and was with her until about 23 miles where I had to have a stretch and was really suffering. Wish I could have stuck with her, but did the last few miles on my own and they were really really tough, took a bit of a walk break once or twice for a minute or two, and just kept going after that, very slowly. Was so happy to see the 26 mile mark, and actually enjoyed that last 800 metres, the crowds were amazing!

All in all I had a great day, up to 15 I really enjoyed, from 16 to 18 were horrible, 18 to 23 grand again, then 23 to 26 very tough, and enjoyed the end! Really is the hardest thing I have ever done, but feel great now (although REALLY sore!). Found it a very very warm day which def affected me, and the wind was tough at times too. My original target was 4:40 so wasnt too far off at all, and it was a seriously great day, the crowds are just amazing, really keep you going, and it was such an amazing experience, so proud to say I was part of it!!

Well done to all, great to here that everyone got through it and enjoying reading all the reports as people check in!!

Sorry didnt make it to the pub, headed out to my sisters straight after for prob the most lovely shower I have ever had & headed home after for FOOD!!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

It was so hot on the crumlin road (although I wasn't sure what road i was at the time). I have tan lines from today! And probably wind burn. Turning into the shade near bushy park was a welcome relief. Loved "the wall" we went under at the top of Roebuck. And the paint on the ground saying you beat the wall. I thought mile 20-22 was the toughest and loneliest. Didn't expect to see so few people there. Everywhere else was packed. Great support. Only had my headphones in 1 ear and wasn't even listening. The wind up the last 800metres was Gail force when I did it. Had to push so hard. So glad to be on my sofa now with a glass of vino. Well done everyone. You should all feel so proud even If you didn't reach your desires target. X

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

Instead of everyone's marathon times, could a table be made showing everyone's excuse for not going to McGrattan's?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Best and most painful experience of my life......think I will have to do it all again some day!
    Race report: Had the flu all week so was wary of doing the DCM in the first place. Felt terrible for the first 10k (57 mins), HM at 2:02 ish..not too bad. Mr man flu jumped on my back on the Crumlin Road, couldn't see me finishing at that stage as I had to walk and was sweating profusely, but not out of breath.
    Dug deep to get to 17 miles then got a massive blister on my little toe and started to run like a penguin! Ended up in the First Aid hut with two lads on stretchers (with IV's, poor devils), got patched up and ran off in pain.
    Plan 'C'... Just get home kicked in and eventually made it in 4:48 thanks to Lucozade and jelly babies........Shattered but delighted that I got home in the end, now I am a 'Marathon Runner'....nice to finally meet the gang in McGrattans.

Well done to all you guys too you should be very proud of what you did today!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Looking for advice 2013

Instead of everyone's marathon times, could a table be made showing everyone's excuse for not going to McGrattan's?

I had two very tired children and a very tired hubby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well done to you all folks for starting this morning. It was a cruel day due to the warmth (17 degrees), wind and hilly first half so big claps on back to you all for sticking at it.

Hope those that had to DNF are ok. Never heard a marathon where so many people were in trouble or needed first aid along the way and saw three runners wandering like drunks in the last .2 miles as they were dehydrated. The conditions and course were bloody tough so don't be too hard on yourself. Rest up and take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

By the way, big 'bualadh bos' to the residents of Castleknock. You made a serious case (to us runners anyway) to have race return to the area again, yiz were very loud!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Really interesting to read all the reports of 'carnage' here and on the marathon thread, even at much faster paces than I was attempting. My daughters were at Mile 25 in Ballsbridge for about an hour and said they saw lots of people in trouble... delirious, dehydrated, throwing up, etc. and the ambulances were busy. Hopefully all the runners were ok in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

annapr wrote: »
    Really interesting to read all the reports of 'carnage' here and on the marathon thread, even at much faster paces than I was attempting. My daughters were at Mile 25 in Ballsbridge for about an hour and said they saw lots of people in trouble... delirious, dehydrated, throwing up, etc. and the ambulances were busy. Hopefully all the runners were ok in the end.

I'm in the same boat. Was way off target and needed support from first aiders at the finish line as my legs had gone. I knew things were bad around me out on course but didnt realise the same was happening up the field too.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I'm in the same boat. Was way off target and needed support from first aiders at the finish line as my legs had gone. I knew things were bad around me out on course but didnt realise the same was happening up the field too.

I saw a lot of poor souls taken away in ambulances from 16-25 miles, lots of fit young men in particular that looked like they crashed and hit the wall. Felt really sorry for one girl at 24 miles being lead away in tears and two other girls at 25 miles being taken away in an ambulance, so close to the finish line, made me slow down a bit if I am honest for the last 2 miles when I thought about pushing it a bit.

The heat played a huge part today, no doubt. Hopefully these people along with any Boardies that DNF will bounce back and do another one marathon soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

There was a couple of people who looked in some distress. Hope everyone is OK. No reports of anything serious so far thankfully

Did anyone else see the girl who tripped over a cone on the middle of Castlenick Road....slapped her face off the road. She was just being helped up as I was passing. Felt very sorry for her. Dunno why there was cones down the middle of that road in the first pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

MAJOR Congrats to everybody - even the DNFs, its a thousand times better to be a DNF than a DNS.

Went in and cheered you all on. As 14.5miles is the furthest I got in training I felt it apt to go there and support around the 14.5 mile mark, at the bend at the Halfway House pub headin for Walkinstown Roundabout. I cant believe how fresh people can look having just done that distance and still looking at another 12.

Had told the wife I'd nip in and see the leaders, then wait another half hour or so and cheer my cousin on and then slip away but the more people passed, the more they deserved support and 'props'. In the end I split after 2 hours when my hands were starting to hurt.

Next year I hope.....as a novice of course :cool:

CONGRATS AGAIN, jealous here of your aching limbs and pounding senses of achievement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Cones were there to keep runners to one side of the road. That would keep the other side open for emergency vehicles but also busses.

Saw a good few people with twisted ankles, who looked in pain! Awful. Jumped over a few potholes myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

It was very worrying to see so many participants requiring first aid even quite early on- I'm thinking in particular of a lad in Dolphins Barn who seemed to be unconscious. I hope he, and all the others, are ok.

For me, Plan A was 4.20, Plan B 4.30. I realised relatively early on that Plan A was a touch ambitious today but I'm very happy to say that I beat Plan B by coming home in 4:27:04. I'm a marathoner! :) I found it very tough but my feet have barely touched the ground since I finished I'm so happy (just as well, seeing as I'm doing a mean impersonation of the John Wayne walk at present).

It was great to meet a few of my fellow 2014 graduates :D in McGrattans - SoundoftheSea, Laura, Annapr & Aquinn and, of course, the mentor of the moment, Ososlo. Sorry I couldn't stay any longer.

I hope everyone has enjoyed the rest of their day and hopefully their rest! (And celebrations!) :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Without a doubt the hardest thing I have ever done.
    Finished in 4:59 but that doesn't even being to tell the story of the day. Started cramping at mile 16 and ran/walk the rest. I've never felt so much pain but i finished and if I had to crawl on my hands and knees I was getting to that finish line no matter what.
    I feel a bit embarrassed thinking I'd do it in 4:10 but sure you live and learn. I finished it and I'm delighted about that.
    I saw my son at the finish line and I burst in to tears as I was doing it all for him.

Casey78 wrote: »
    Without a doubt the hardest thing I have ever done.
    Finished in 4:59 but that doesn't even being to tell the story of the day. Started cramping at mile 16 and ran/walk the rest. I've never felt so much pain but i finished and if I had to crawl on my hands and knees I was getting to that finish line no matter what.
    I feel a bit embarrassed thinking I'd do it in 4:10 but sure you live and learn. I finished it and I'm delighted about that.
    I saw my son at the finish line and I burst in to tears as I was doing it all for him.

Well done Casey. You did it for Eoghan, you should be so proud of yourself. It was a very tough day, hot and windy, the worst combination. Everyone would like to finish quicker than they did but there's just no telling how anyone will feel in those last 10 miles. It's over now and you have the tshirt!! And the medal. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Watching from afar at the moment but well done to all the novices who finished. If you were well off your goal time then welcome to a very large club! Interesting that I'm reading alot about all the medical attention required, I know it was warm (but we've had a warm few months to train in) and it was windy (same last year) What concerns me is that this year I heard alot more stories of people (men) giving the marathon a go without any real specific training. Guys that are fit from GAA or soccer etc. thinking they could rock up and do the 26.2...... Would be interested to hear the thoughts of first timers who did follow a plan?

Obviously the above is far from scientific and I hope anyone who needed help is okay!

Well done again all!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 YourPaceOrMine

Laois_Man wrote: »
    There was a couple of people who looked in some distress. Hope everyone is OK. No reports of anything serious so far thankfully

Did anyone else see the girl who tripped over a cone on the middle of Castlenick Road....slapped her face off the road. She was just being helped up as I was passing. Felt very sorry for her. Dunno why there was cones down the middle of that road in the first pace.

You must have been right beside me! She was getting to her feet as I passed. 3 people had stopped to help her, easy thing to happen you couldn't see those cones with the people running in front of you and the pacer group was quite tightly packed at that stage. Congrats on your time! Crowds in Castleknock were amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

You must have been right beside me! She was getting to her feet as I passed. 3 people had stopped to help her, easy thing to happen you couldn't see those cones with the people running in front of you and the pacer group was quite tightly packed at that stage. Congrats on your time! Crowds in Castleknock were amazing

I was right there lads, helped her up with Olwen the pacer. Also just have to say, Olwen (hope I'm spelling that right) was incredible, her encouragement throughout was unreal. My plan was to go out with the 4hr pacers till the end and if I had it in me kick on and get in under 4:00. My plan worked, at 24 miles I thanked Olwen for everything, got a little bit emotional as it was my first marathon, and made it in under the clock at 3:58. It was one of the best experiences of my life. Support throughout the course was just out of this world, great to see family and friends at crucial points when aches and pains kicked in. However, nobody told me to take the day off work today.... lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Cross post from my own log ...

Preparation:
    Preparation had gone well but maybe not well enough. Getting sick two weeks out and not recovering fully was not ideal nor was the niggles and calves that needed managing or resting along the way. That said I felt and indeed still do feel I had trained to be in 4:15 / 4:20 shape. I had hit all the LSR's on the HHN2 program, one particularly tough one along the way but took the character building aspect of that as a positive.

Start to Castleknock (7 miles):
    Got there nice and early and was in position just behind the 4:10 pacers. Plan was to head off at 4:15 pace towards the park then drop back a bit under 4:20 for the duration of the park to arrive out of the first hilly section still on 4:20 overall. Small bit of congestion at start but nothing too bad. The drag up the park was tougher than expected. Swirling wind didn't help matters at all but I knew my family were just outside of the Phoenix Park gates so had that to look forward to. Came out of the park feeling very good - even stopped briefly to hug and kiss the kids before heading off again. The wall of sound and people at Myos pub in Castleknock was incredible. What a buzz to run through that feeling on top of the world at this point.

Splits 1-7:
    9:55, 9:26, 9:27, 9:47, 9:53, 9:40, 9:40

7-Halfway:
    After Castleknock the descent back down towards the park and Chapleizod was a welcome relief. Mindful of advice given here I didn't tear off down this and tried to take it a bit easy. Despite that though my breathing started to become quite laboured and I could feel my heart rate rising - heart was thumping like you do when you are scared and you can feel it beating fast. Got a little bit worried at this stage but soldiered on dropping the pace back a little more. Out through Chapleizod and the second big hill of the day under the flyover up to Sarsfield Road. Again took that nice and easy - I was about 1 minute up on 4:20 pace at that stage and allowed myself to lose a bit of this on this section. Out across the SCR and then the right hand turn over the canal and up to Crumlin. OMFG where did that wind come from ! Combination of the steep incline over the canal and up to the shopping centre and the wind billowing down meant the pace slowed dramatically here for the last quarter of this mile dragging that split down a bit. That said went over half way bang on where I wanted to be.

Splits 8-13
    9:32, 9:41, 9:48, 10:03, 9:43, 10:15
    Halfway at 2:09:53.

13 - 17
    Then ladies and gentlemen the wheels came off. Just after halfway my right quad went bang. Every step was like someone was punching me giving me a dead leg. Had to stop to try stretch it out. Would run a bit more - it would go again. Going uphill into the wind stopping and starting was not fun at all. Eventually got to the top of Walkinstown hoping that the flat ground thereafter would help things. It didn't but I was still managing a relatively decent pace - all be that 4:20 was out the window. Then just before Terenure the left leg went exactly the same way. Now I could hardly move and after a few more burst of running before being hit with the snipers shot I mentally wrote off the entire race. Posted here I was as good as DNFing and was walking back in the hope of beating the 2012 time of 5:36. Thought about turning left at Terenure and heading straight back to town but decided not to.

Splits 14-20
    11:41, 11:10, 11:47, 13:23, 13:12, 14:46, 13:17

20-Finish
    I was getting really fed up with being passed out by pace group after pace group and it kind of invoked my stubborn side. I had been hobbling along at this point for 4 miles. Heartbreak hill was upon me and I decided that I was running up it without stopping no matter what. Passed out a lot of people on this very short section and I was telling myself that once I was up there the last 6 home were the easiest terrain wise. At that point it started to enter in my head that perhaps I could make it home sub 5. Having a 4 in the hour column sounded much better than 5 and wouldn't be a total write off for the day. So I sped up a bit. Except every time I tried to run fast the legs would go. I was reduced to a slow shuffle trying to balance off the pace I needed to get sub 5 versus what the legs could handle. Got it wrong every few hundred metres stopping in agony on the side of the road each time. Got to 40k sign - only 2 to go! Garmin at this stage was .4 of a mile out and I was trying to work out the maths of what I needed to hit time wise. I thought I was worse off than I was and sub 5 was slipping past too. At this stage the 4:50 pace group caught me - bearing in mind I started off a 10 minute wave ahead of them I knew I was toast if I couldn't pull away from them. So I decided with 1k to go that I simply wasn't stopping until the finish line no matter what. Highly highly stupid of me to be honest. Ignored the pain, was close to crying from it, then ignored feeling light headed, focus on that finish line which seemed an eternity away and not getting any closer. Copped then that I was maybe a minute under 5 hour but knew if I slowed or stopped I mightn't make it so kept going.

Splits 20-Finish
    12:15, 12:48, 11:37, 12:29, 12:30, 11:51, 10:18 (pace for last half mile on garmin)
    Finish time 4:58:34

The Finish
    Hit the finish line and I wasn't in good shape. Wobbled a bit tried to walk through but was like I had 10 pints on me. Started to lean left and one of the marshalls caught me. Was trying to insist I was fine but a couple of first aiders got to me then and insisted I wasn't. They were right of course. Had to be helped to the barrier. Spent a bit of time there and thought I was ok enough to walk on. Got a few more metres and had a repeat peformance outside the first aid tent itself. When I eventually got out and got back to the family I was in tears. Emotionally and physically shattered. Mortified at the time but in hindsight gave it absolutely everything I had to get home under the 5 and I am proud of that - but I do know it wasn't smart.

Reflections:
    Made it into Mcgrattans late in the day - was in no shape immediately afterwards. From talking to people there, reading on boards and the amount of people I saw in deep trouble over the course it's clear that yesterday was a tough tough day. The course, wind and sun knocked the stuffing out of most people it seems. I don't know how much the sickness effected me - only running once in the two weeks up to the race could have had a toll on the legs influencing the injuries. I know in my heart and soul I had trained for a better result than I got but it was a PB by nearly 40 minutes so I'm not too dissapointed. I will be back for a better time. smile.png

I hope that all those I saw in worse shape than I was at the finish line but still out on the course are ok. A scary amount of ambulances required yesterday. Something horrific about passing people being worked on on the ground The support on the course was unreal - a huge thank you to anyone reading this who was out there supporting or marshalling. Special shout out to the woman at mile 1 with the sign "I'm proud of you random stranger" The best sign of the day for me - and I'm proud of you too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Pm1e wrote: »
    I was right there lads, helped her up with Olwen the pacer.

That's Olwyn, the famous and fabulous Marthastew :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

For all the talk about the weather yesterday I'm glad we didn't get today's weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

RayCun wrote: »
    That's Olwyn, the famous and fabulous Marthastew :)

thanks, she was like an angel fluttering in front of me for 3 and a half hours. I clung on for dear life. She was wonderful and I could stop thanking her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Major congratulations to you all EX Novices - now marathoners :D
    Loving the reports. Keep em coming!

as for the gift... well I'm still stunned. I truly am. Wonderful meeting so many of you yesterday.
    Thanks so much :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Pm1e wrote: »
    I was right there lads, helped her up with Olwen the pacer. Also just have to say, Olwen (hope I'm spelling that right) was incredible, her encouragement throughout was unreal. My plan was to go out with the 4hr pacers till the end and if I had it in me kick on and get in under 4:00. My plan worked, at 24 miles I thanked Olwen for everything, got a little bit emotional as it was my first marathon, and made it in under the clock at 3:58. It was one of the best experiences of my life. Support throughout the course was just out of this world, great to see family and friends at crucial points when aches and pains kicked in. However, nobody told me to take the day off work today.... lol

You're talking about some other incident

I was with the 4:30 pace group.

Congrats on your time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

My thighs are smashed today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Watching from afar at the moment but well done to all the novices who finished. If you were well off your goal time then welcome to a very large club! Interesting that I'm reading alot about all the medical attention required, I know it was warm (but we've had a warm few months to train in) and it was windy (same last year) What concerns me is that this year I heard alot more stories of people (men) giving the marathon a go without any real specific training. Guys that are fit from GAA or soccer etc. thinking they could rock up and do the 26.2...... Would be interested to hear the thoughts of first timers who did follow a plan?

Obviously the above is far from scientific and I hope anyone who needed help is okay!

Well done again all!
    I noticed us passin nuthing but men from bout 17 Miles in,on the 4:30 pace group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've noticed quite frequently that women are both more conservative with their goal setting and more likely to hit their targets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I've noticed quite frequently that women are both more conservative with their goal setting and more likely to hit their targets.

So you're admitting that women are more likely to sandbag than men? :)

Advertisement