Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The plan for me was to head out with the 3:50 pace group and stay with them till about mile 20/21 and re evaluate things then, to either kick on or hold onto them. The second time coming back into the park (about mile 9) I found myself a bit ahead of the 3:50 group, there was a lot more space just in front of the group so I decided to stay out in front. Then for some mad reason as I felt good I decided to kick on a bit. Looks like this was way to early.

I came through the half way point at 1:52:xx which is well on course for a 3:50 finish, had some time in the 'bank' or so I thought. Nearly all my splits up to 31km were on target (5:25 per km), I did not make one on target for the last 11k. Looks like I kicked on way to early and at about the 34k/35k mark the 3:50 group past me out. I just did not have the legs to stay with them, this is nearly the same experience I had at my first half that time with the 1:50 pace group. I learned from that mistake, and I will learn from this.

Anyway I loved the race and it will not be my last. I finished up with a time of 3:56:50.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/621799455

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I've noticed quite frequently that women are both more conservative with their goal setting and more likely to hit their targets.

Completely agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I've noticed quite frequently that women are both more conservative with their goal setting and more likely to hit their targets.

I think that is often said and is probably true!

Ososlo wrote: »
    Major congratulations to you all EX Novices - now marathoners :D
    Loving the reports. Keep em coming!

as for the gift... well I'm still stunned. I truly am. Wonderful meeting so many of you yesterday.
    Thanks so much :)

Sorry I could not make it in but I had the Mrs and 4 kids at the finish line and they were out in on the course aswell so had to get grub with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

yaboya1 wrote: »
    So you're admitting that women are more likely to sandbag than men? :)

Well you're talking to someone who printed a 4:45 and 5:00 pace band for her first... and finished in 4:24 with a 90 second positive split :pac:

Novice men seem to be more likely to take a chance - "Oh I had a good run at the Dublin half, I'll shift my goal by 20 minutes", "I've done a half-ironman but haven't run more than 21.1km in training, the bike fitness will get me through" etc. They also seem to risk more in terms of pacing strategies - start fast and fall off badly after 30km-ish. Novice women tend to be more conservative in their preparation - we see very few female chancers entering late on little preparation and many of them are surprisingly well organised in terms of how they plan their race. Pacing seems to be more sensible too - the goal is far more often "finish in whatever time", they do not go for a half marathon PB en route, and they are still running relatively strongly past 20 miles unless they have a planned (Galloway) run-walk strategy.

Probably a slightly unfair generalisation, but it's based on what I've observed over the last few years of reading the DCM threads here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Dub13 wrote: »
    Sorry I could not make it in but I had the Mrs and 4 kids at the finish line and they were out in on the course aswell so had to get grub with them.

For next year take note. McGrattans is great for families and the grub is top notch!
    Well done :)great time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I just looked at the tracker there. Like others I did not get a 10km split.
    My half split was 1.39.12.
    30km was 2.20.41.
    Finish 3.18.20
    So my pace worked out very evenly even though certain miles would have been faster or slower due to the terrain. Some had mentioned before that pacing to every 5k/5 miles is a better indicator.

Ososlo wrote: »
    For next year take note. McGrattans is great for families and the grub is top notch!
    Well done :)great time!

Everywhere just seamed packed around the finish so we just decided to move away. As for the race, I am a little annoyed with myself as the amount of times we read not to set out to fast and I was saying to myself no that will not be me I will be disciplined. But I wanted to enjoy the experience that's part of the reason why I let the 3:50 lads go, I could have stayed with them for a bit longer but not sure how I would have felt for the last few miles then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Well you're talking to someone who printed a 4:45 and 5:00 pace band for her first... and finished in 4:24 with a 90 second positive split :pac:

Novice men seem to be more likely to take a chance - "Oh I had a good run at the Dublin half, I'll shift my goal by 20 minutes", "I've done a half-ironman but haven't run more than 21.1km in training, the bike fitness will get me through" etc. They also seem to risk more in terms of pacing strategies - start fast and fall off badly after 30km-ish. Novice women tend to be more conservative in their preparation - we see very few female chancers entering late on little preparation and many of them are surprisingly well organised in terms of how they plan their race. Pacing seems to be more sensible too - the goal is far more often "finish in whatever time", they do not go for a half marathon PB en route, and they are still running relatively strongly past 20 miles unless they have a planned (Galloway) run-walk strategy.

Probably a slightly unfair generalisation, but it's based on what I've observed over the last few years of reading the DCM threads here.
    sh1t ...Wat have i started...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I was half joking with my comment, but I do agree with you in relation to novice marathon runners. Maybe it's a macho thing?
    However, I think once you've run a few marathons you should be aggressive with your goals. What's the point in doing all that training and then going out on the day hitting a soft target?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I was half joking with my comment, but I do agree with you in relation to novice marathon runners. Maybe it's a macho thing?
    However, I think once you've run a few marathons you should be aggressive with your goals. What's the point in doing all that training and then going out on the day hitting a soft target?

I agree with you regarding being aggressive in subsequent races - I set a 24 minute PB in my third by basically saying "Sub 4 or die trying". For a first-timer though this isn't ideal, particularly if the number of training runs >30km is limited, the goal should be finishing and to enjoy as much of the race as possible.

My wife and kids were at the barrier maybe 600 meters form the end and seen a lad in fully running gear jump over the barrier and try to run the last bit. Lucky the official's were onto him and got him before he was gone. People do mad stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

Dub13 wrote: »
    My wife and kids were at the barrier maybe 600 meters form the end and seen a lad in fully running gear jump over the barrier and try to run the last bit. Lucky the official's were onto him and got him before he was gone. People do mad stuff.

saw a chap as we came over the bridge at Ballsbridge, just as we turned right down Shelbourne Rd. go dead ahead and jump a barrier, not sure where he was headed, straight on to rejoin after beggars bush? Hardly... was a strange sight though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Haven't finished reading up to date here but from what I've read already my experience was similar to a lot of you. I was doing fine until 12 miles, apart from a twinge in the arch of my left foot which started on the quays and never let up. I was level with the 5 hour pacers until I stopped at the portaloos in the park (should have gone before the start but the queues were insane) and kept pace about 4 minutes behind them till Inchicore. Castleknock was great with the crowds and a band playing Molly Malone. Next was the nicest part of the race, still feeling great, fresh and in control, downhill through the back of the park with the trees and the beautiful scenery. And in Inchicore there was a guy with a guitar playing Proud Mary, I couldn't help but join in!

12.09, 11.04, 11.24, 11.23, 13.45, 10.51, 11.11, 10.25, 10.43, 11.12, 11.51, 11.07

Met up with MKDTH (did I spell that right) around that point, compared notes and crossed the halfway point together in 2:32 which was comfortably in line with my race plan. I felt fine at that stage, but not long afterwards the heat and the aches in both feet now, and OMG where did that wind come from? I had to slow down a lot and ended up walk/running some sections. The drill sergeant in my head wanted me to tough it out and try to catch those pacers, but after seeing other runners lying on the path surrounded by medics I thought to myself - don't be that guy. At this point the crowds were handling out jellies to beat the band, which was exactly the right thing at the right time.

13.03, 12.33, 12.01, 13.43, 14.16, 15.34, 12.18

Next was Heartbreak Hill and I could see why it was so named. As people have said it wouldn't be that big a deal if you weren't already after running 20 miles. In training I was running up similar hills after 15-18 miles and I managed to keep a relatively decent pace up these hills too. Then downhill on Fosters Avenue where I saw a guy with a finisher's medal already. Someone shouted out "There's one of those waiting for you" and that gave me a boost.

12.39, 13.33, 13.59, 12.58

Then up the flyover, along Nutley Lane were my Mam and Dad were waiting exactly at the point I needed moral support. Mam gave me a hug and Dad took my picture with a beetroot head on me. I was physically really struggling but kept plugging away, and at the RDS my better half jogged up and ran beside me for a bit which was brilliant. She's in a lot of pain so it meant a huge amount that she could be there and do that. Turned the corner into Sherlbourne Rd and saw the 25 mile sign, and as people were cheering "1 mile to go" I felt like I couldn't run another inch. Managed to drag it out, still with walking breaks but from the last half mile I ran all the way to the finish. When I saw the finish arch in front of me I got pretty emotional, just concentrating on putting one foot in front of the other till I got there. I didn't believe I could do it until I crossed the line.

13.29, 13.53, 14.57, 6.40.

My official time was 5:30:00 which was half an hour off my goal pace but I'm not bothered about that at all. I can revise the race strategy another time. I ran a feckin MARATHON!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Finished in 4hr 2mins... Would hav loved to have gotten under 4 but still very happy with my time - and I hit my main goal of running the whole thing so that's the main thing.

First 6-10m seemed to fly by, but things started to drag in the 2nd half. Managed to stay on the 4hr pacers' backs until the last 6m or so, but made the decision not to try to catch them and just maintain a comfortable speed to the end. Managed to find some extra juice for the last 800m, probably thanks to the fantasic support around.

Interesting to see talk of so many drop outs - was talking myself around after a tough bit (at Dolphin's Barn I think) and the sun had come out too, when suddenly I see loads of people pulling up or stopping to walk.

Felt awful for the folks who had to stop in the 20s too, and according to my girlfriend there were a lot of people crossing the line in a really bad way.

Thanks again to everyone for their support on here - Ososlo in particular - and to the 4hr pacers who kept me on an even keel for the duration (even if you did slip away at the end!)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Dublin City Marathon Race Report

Well I started out way too fast, struggled in the middle and just about hung on for the finish. But enough about the pub, what about the race?

Very similar to Dub13 above actually. I started in the second wave, ended up being quite a few mins behind the 3:50 pacers as it was quite congested as we lined up. I wasn't bothered by that though as I was thinking I'll run at my planned pace and catch them slowly.

Almost a mini disaster at the start line as my Garmin wouldn't start up, just stuck at the loading screen. This hasn't happened since February and it worked fine earlier that morning. A bit of panic but it was good to go by the time we were off, but I'd missed any chance of moving up to the pacers.

Miles 1-5(8:57,8:11,8:28,9:02,8:47) :

The first mile or so went by in a bit of a blur. It was all very congested, the pace was set by the group as a whole and not much to do but go at that pace. After that the congestion eased a bit, I could see the pacers off in the distance, just settled in to a comfortable pace and was happy enough with were I was. I eased off a bit once we hit parkgate street and into the park as I knew it was going to be a tough section. There was a tough cross wind at this stage and I found it hard to find protection in the wide open spaces of the Phoenix Park.

Miles 6-10(8:36,8:31,8:06,8:26,8:16)

Once we exited the park I started to really enjoy the race and feel like the marathon was truly on and this was what all the training had been about. The crowds around Castleknock were fantastic. I was closing on the 3:50 Pace group at this stage and the downhill section here seemed quite busy with not much room.

When we went back into the park there was literally no room as I was now in the 3:50 Pace group, I absolutely hate running in crowds like this so decided to get past them as best I could. I realize now that this may have been a mistake but I would not have enjoyed this run at all in those crowds. After passing the pacers the congestion eased and I settled down again. In retrospect these miles were too fast and probably caused problems later on.

Miles 11-15(8:47,8:19,8:28,9:08,8:45)

After the park and heading towards Chapelizod I slowed it down for the hill up towards Inchicore. This was preplanned, and it was a good move I think. I really enjoyed the section just after this from Inchicore down towards Dolphins Barn. Once we went over the bridge though things started to get tougher.

Up through Crumlin the wind was very much a factor, again it was difficult to find a group to shelter behind and it was a long hard slog, just a section to get through without doing too much damage, I slowed the pace considerably there and this probably helped in the last few miles. Turning left towards Walkinstown was even worse and that road seemed longer than anytime I've ever ran it. As expected the crowds around here were amazing and it helped immensely.

Miles 16-20(8:20,8:37,8:23,8:22,8:40)

Hitting that roundabout was a huge confidence boost. I know this area very well and that road down towards KCR is very pleasant to run on. My prerace plan had me picking up the pace here but I was wary of doing too much here as I was now beginning to feel tired and a little concerned to be honest. I was still thinking in terms of 3:45 though so tried to keep with the plan. I had friends and famil positioned on KCR so tried to look not too wreaked at this point but I was starting too feel it a little bit at this stage.

Up past KCR towards Terenure, time to dig in. Again the crowds were fantastic and I stuck at it around here. There were a lot of people walking at this stage and it was all I could do to just keep going and keep putting one foot in front of the other. It was around here I started counting the miles to go rather than the miles gone.

Miles 21-26.2(8:57,9:17,8:41,9:00,9:17,9:15,3:48)

Really started to flag at this stage, realized that 3:45 wasn't happening. Past Milltown, big crowd there but couldn't get much going. Turned right towrds Clonskeagh, I knew this wouldn't be plesant. I was struggling badly but still passing loads and loads of people, seemd like everyone was walking on this section for what ever reason. Grabbed a bottle of lucozade sport, couldnt get the ****er open, threw it away. Got up to Roebuck, stragely looking forward to this climb, practiced it many times. I was quite strong up the hill, no thoughts of walking. Got down onto the N11, still seemed like a long way to go and really felt terrible here. People shouting "3 miles to go" or whatever, not really helpful as I know we haven't come up to 23 miles yet. Right at Nutley lane, on auto pilot at this stage and feel like I'm going backwards. Dig in now.

Along ballsbridge, utterly deflated as the 3:50 pacers go past. I have thoughts of staying with them but realise it's not happening. I try to keep them in sight, realizing I've started a good bit behind them and 3:50 is still a possibility.

Turning right onto Shelbourne road I catch sight my my brother, wasn't epxecting hom to be there, this is a big boost and only 1 mile to go. Start to get a bit emotional, thinking of all the training runs. Get through this last bit. The crowds are amazing on the home stretch but it's hard to take it all in. Realise I'm going to hit 3:49:xx, stangle that last bit of energy and finish strong. Pace is 8:00m/m for that last 0.5 miles.

Over the line. Overjoyed but barely able to move. That was tough, tougher than I thought it would be and longer that I thought it would be but thoroughly enjoyable and very rewarding. The post race atmosphere was great, I nearly collapsed at the barrier and a guy behind me taps me on the shoulder, shakes my hand and say "Well Done" and sounds like he really meant it. It was a great feeling.

I was initially disappointed to miss my "A" target but seeing how most seemed to struggle yesterday I'm delighted to have come in under 3:50.

Hit mcGrattans afterward and met a fair few boardsies. Never got around to eating anything though. It was good craic in there and was great to put faces to names.

Now time to sign up for a race, Jingle Bells anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Copied from my log:

Dublin City marathon 2014 - 4:23:06

Lead Up:
    I wasn't 100%, I had got over the cold/flu but I still had a lingering cough. I also hadn't slept properly in days with sick kids and stress. On Sunday morning I was out fencing in the cold and rain, there's no escaping work where I'm from! Had broken sleep, hit snooze until 7am and woke up in a panic, threw a breakfast into me and got down to the start line for 8am. Briefly met Martyboy and wished him luck. Down to the wave 2 starting pen and waited around 45 minutes. It was cold before we got moving again but had to laugh at the amount of clothes being thrown to the side. It was like Penney's on dole day, mad stuff.

The "Run":
    Slotted in a few rows ahead of the 4hr pacer, I would have preferred to start at 4:10 but with the crowd I couldn't get back. No worries I would run my own race. Never experienced such a crowded race it was a bit mental for the first mile or two, but once we turned onto the quays it was plain sailing. Somehow I had got ahead of the 4hr pacer, but not by much. I was angry with myself for this but my effort level was low, and breathing was fine, I was feeling good so I stuck to this effort until Phoenix Park. Reigned in the pace big time for PP, but the winds were a problem, tucked in behind groups here. Out of PP and into easily the best crowd of supporters, they were amazing, heard "It's a Long Way to Tipperary" played on a flute, brilliant stuff. I was beaming.

I don't know Dublin at all, so everything was a bit of a blur until half way. I was absolutely fine up to this point, effort was perfect, I was controlled. My legs were a little tired but nothing to worry about. The minute I passed the halfway line, the 4hr pacers passed me, it was a bit of a knock but thought I would let them off and stick to my own effort. Hit the halfway point at 2:00:30 on the Crumlin Rd and my legs all of a sudden set to concrete, I was bollixed with the click of a finger. I kept running for another 10 minutes, keeping the effort way down, but after this I was reduced to a walk.

From Mile 14 on it was absolute carnage. It was hard to stay positive with so many real casualties. Thankfully they were all being seen to and hope nothing serious occured. I was determined to finish but it wouldn't be pretty. I ran/walked the remainder, wondering what the hell I did to deserve this!

Around Mile 18, I distinctly remember I was walking in a group of all men, there was absolutely nobody running, so I set off in a jog to show them all I came to Roebuck Hill and remembered all the talk and decided to get to the top without walking. It was the hardest part of the marathon but I got up having to push throngs of walkers out of the way. People were pissed off when I asked them to move but there were literally a full row of walkers with nowhere to get through. I was grumpy too so I understood!

Ran/walked to the Mile 24 mark and from there I ran to the finish. It was horrendous, I was in so much pain and just wanted it to end. 1k, 800m, 400m. That was the longest 400m of my life.

Across the line at 4:23:06. Thank ****.

The Aftermath:
    Straight to McGrattan's, and met up with a few boardsies. Great mix of novices and pro's alike, heard tales from the 3:40 pacers group and all the novices experiences. Great to meet you all. After 4 or 5 pots my legs were actually feeling 100% so I thought it would be a good time to checkout and get on the road. Good thing as I lost the ability to walk shortly after.

Synopsis:
    I didn't follow the plan to the letter.
    I didn't do a LSR beyond 19 miles.
    My training in the final month was hit and miss to put it mildly.

I will not run another marathon unless:
    I know the route, this really disheartened me towards the end, I had no bearings.
    I am 100% prepared, and to be honest I can't see even another year of running preparing me for that. I want a solid two years from now if I was to ever put myself through that again.

Then again I have a short memory! In all fairness I enjoyed it, and hated it in equal measures. Dublin is an amazing place with amazing people and glad I experienced the friendly race, the support was unbelievable. Also sounds like I have to get to the Christmas beers, sounds like craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Can anybody spot themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

Okay so here is my Race Report....

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/621338092

Preparation
    Was at a 30th in Galway from Friday evening to Sunday lunchtime, but took it very handy, heading to bed early every night and avoiding booze and crisps! Even had porridge for breakfast when all else were having a fry. (This was the hardest part of training for me!) Back early sunday so plenty of time to make my list and check it multiple times! Got down to the start line at 08:10 as advised by Ososlo last week. Just about enough time to drop bag in and go for a pee etc. Took my position right beside the 03:30 pacers as planned.

0 to 5km Split: 23:59

Found this quite tough going; had a lot of "WTF am I doing" here moments in the first 2 or 3km. Really struggled in the crowded pack as well; weaving between bollards etc. I actually was slipping off the 03:30 pacers already and the pace felt relentless. So that was worrying. Was actually getting a bit stressed by it all. Then once we got to the quays I just said to myself to relax, look up and around and enjoy the race. No point in stressing. Started to feel better once I made that call. Saw the 5km and thought "1 out of 8.5 parkruns" down.

5 to 10km Split: 24:15
    Hide in the crowd, and steady up Chesterfield here. At this point, I was closing down the 3:30 pacers and actually overtook them on the last roundabout in the Phoenix park. Crowds out the other side were great. Took my first gel around here at the water station. Felt a bit of a stitch after, but I had that on my LSR so was expecting that to pass which it did, thank god. Also a few really nice houses! I was feeling a lot more comfortable at this stage and concentrating on breathing and keeping my HR down. Still felt like a long way to go!

10 to 15km Split: 23:31
    A welcome relief here, sheltered from the wind and down hill plodding. Tried to keep the pace steady and give the body a rest. By the time we re-entered the park I was feeling stronger and I enjoyed running the opposite way around here to the usual routes! On exiting the park was a little surprised to turn right, for some reason I thought we turned left. However, that confusion passed a few 100 metres!

15 to 20km Split: 23:48
    Great crowds in Chapelizod, amazing. I'd written my name in massive letters on my chest so felt like a minor celebrity turning the corner with all the name chanting! Really perked me up, The next 5km were fine running-wise plenty to distract me. Bbq at inchicore, fancy dress party in Kilmainham! I think I actually accelerated a bit here; which wasn't necessarily a good thing! Popped my second Gel around here.

20 to 25km Split: 24:29 Halfway Split: 1:42:09
    Met my mate here for a bit and he told me I was looking fresh. That wasn't go to last long; the course was going to catch up with me here! The drag from the canal to Crumlin and Walkinstown roundabout was cruel. The crowd had thinned out so there was no hiding. EVENTUALLY turned left onto Kimmage Road West but I was using a lot of energy at this point. Not much else I could but keeping breathing and taking on half a bottle of water at each station. Average Pace crept up here, not surprising really. Back started to hurt, think from tensing against the wind.

25 to 30km Split: 23:47
    Do not remember much of this section. Took 3rd Gel. Ran beside a girl from Denmark for awhile so heard a lot of "Go on Denmark!". Had a very broad grin on my face going through Terenure as I thought about all the training miles I did through those crossroads. Started to see spectators at their house gate with cups of tea on this stretch too; really wanted one randomly! Body check at this point; tired and sensing pain was imminent; quad was starting to feel tight.

30 to 35km Split: 24:15
    A downhill section with my second slowest 5km split of the race. Sums up how I felt during this period. started to nibble my energy bar as I was feeling flat and wanted to do something; Placebo or not! legs were hurting and all I said to myself was "It's less than an hour; ffs Chris, dig in. One hour more". This became a mantra for awhile. Saw my gf and her friend at our apartment near 20.5 miles. Put on brave face for them but had lost it by the time I crossed the Dodder. Was desperate for a water station and wasn't sure when it would come. Took gel anyway which only just about agreed with me. Also tapped a few walkers on shoulders and gave a thumbs up to try and encourage them. Finally the water station came, eerily quiet compared to the early water stations. At this point there was a lot of walkers and grimaces. The sun was beating down and I could feel the energy evaporating from me. No place to hide at this point; head down and keep going. LESS THAN ONE HOUR to go.

35 to 40km Split: 24:22
    Ah heartbreak hill. Had done it training a fair bit so wasn't scared of it. Plan at this point was to just keep running to the top of the hill then use Fosters Ave to recover. Great crowds and noise her, for me stopping wasn't an option. My parents and GF's parents were on Fosters Ave; so "cruised" down and my HR dropped 15BPM between top and bottom. I was desperately hoping this recharge would be enough to get me home. Got up to UCD flyover at 3:00hrs and remembered this post from Marlay Parkrun. Realised at 30 minute 5km from that point would get me sub 03:30 which was a good positive thought. Nutley was "easy" and I actually felt strong. But once I turned onto Merrion, there was a headwind from nowhere. I was counting down every 0.5km at this stage; mantra became "keep this pace, only XX to go". Spotted The Four Seasons poking out amongst the tress in the distance and focused on it; I knew once I passed that the Shelbourne Road turn was almost there and that was where I would see my GF again. I was at the stage of everything hurting but still managed to smile for the camera (pic attached!).

40 to 42.2km Split: 12:02 Second Half Split:01:42:40; Finish Time: 3:24:49
    Turned the corner onto Shelbourne Rd, thinking even if I started to walk here, I would probably make sub 03:30. So set my sights on <03:25. Tried to keep the pace steady and maybe add a touch. Second disappointment on the routing; I forget that we were turning at the second set of lights on Shelbourne Rd; not first! Ah well, not to worry. Head down, and keep going. Tried to encourage a few others to run the last mile. And some did break into stride which I was happy to see. Turned the last corner and saw Merrion Sq ahead. The atmosphere was so good. Those blue clappy yokes made so much noise. Loved it. Was concentrating on getting sub 03:25 but also really took the crowd in. Head up and looked around; amazing stuff. 200 yards from the line; 3:24:xx on the my watch so I let fly and got a sprint from nowhere to cross in 03:24:49. Bloody well delighted.

Aftermath
    As soon as I stopped over the line; EVERYTHING just tightened up like a vice and before I got my medal, I was walking like John Wayne! Bumped into an old school friend who was volunteering and talked to him. Had to keeping walking though, I was afraid I would get sick if I stopped too long. Longest walk ever around to the Physio tent where I got a quick rub down which helped lots!
    A friend was due to do ~4:30 so I hopped on my bike to Haddington Rd just in time to see her pass on the final corner. Enjoyed cheering people on here; I felt it was my chance to give back for all the support I got. Then up to Milanos for some grub. Yum Yum.
    I had planned on heading to McGrattans then but some family things had come up which I needed to attend to. Pretty P!ssed off...but such is life.

I have to admit to being pretty ignorant of other people's distress. It was my 1st marathon so I wasn't aware that having that number of people struggling from 20 miles on was unusual. Only when I cam on here did I realise that it was unusually tough. Makes me happier with my effort tbh.

In terms of my race, I'm delighted with the pacing. A positive split but only by 31 seconds. And the plan was followed generally. Slow first few km then steady pace for the rest. Actually delighted I didn't explode!

FINALLY, a big thank you to Ososlo. Absolute legend. Not enough can be said about how committed she was to this group. i/We are forever in your debt. Not least because my friends think I'm uber intelligent now but in reality I'm just saying what I read here!

as I said before; Congratulations all, we are now marathon runners!

Oh, and to the bastard who snuck into my room last night and replaced my hips with gravel, I hate you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Anyone have trouble sleeping? I got home after a few too many beers, got some takeaway, hit the bed early enough but by 1am I was drifting in and out and by 3am I was wide awake, ended up getting up, getting more food(hadn't eaten after the race) and going back to bed around 5, woke again at 7 and couldn't get back to sleep.

I was expecting a solid 13 hour sleep after all that but wasn't to be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

adrian522 wrote: »
    Anyone have trouble sleeping? I got home after a few too many beers, got some takeaway, hit the bed early enough but by 1am I was drifting in and out and by 3am I was wide awake, ended up getting up, getting more food(hadn't eaten after the race) and going back to bed around 5, woke again at 7 and couldn't get back to sleep.

I had 4 dinners yesterday and slept like a baby. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

Cant say I experienced, that. I know after some events my heart is still thumping away hours after its done and I have struggled in the past to sleep but last night I was dead to the world. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Went to bed very tired.
    Slept for 3 hours
    That was it! :rolleyes:

I can never sleep well after a long run!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yeah I had a fairly disturbed nights sleep! everytime I rolled over my quads woke me.. ended up getting out of bed before my alarm and coming into work early! A few surprised heads to see me in before 8.

At least I'm off today. Wandered down to Matt the Rashers for breakfast. My porridge is going to go uneaten for a few days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Can anybody spot themselves?

that's Chinguetti at 3:01

Didn't have the best of sleeps myself - mixture of the few pints (which often has that effect on me) and finding it hard to get comfortable at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Looking for advice 2013

I spotted a guy at around 15miles swapping shirts and number with someone. Not sure what's to gain there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Well done to all ye marathons :-D
    Now take a few days off and relax before regrouping and knuckling down to some hard graft again :-)

While ye are taking it easy, have a think about what ye are going to call yer training log :-D :-D

Again, I cannot stress enough how lucky ye were to have ososlo as mentor, but then again, ye know that already..

Nice to finally meet you ososlo, Adrian and whoever else I bumped into in mcgrattans....

Advertisement