Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Hands up who has got injured so far - and I believe Ososlo still has you in the base training phase?

Any learnings from the 1st few weeks of training?

What things will you do different in the coming weeks based on the 1st few weeks?

lots of niggles but luckily no injury as such, have physio session next week so hoping to iron these out. As mileage increases my legs are way more tired but some new issues arising are muscle in shoulder/chest area aggravated by longer runs and pins and needles in my arm - am thinking possible pinched nerve, hopefully nothing too serious...
    I'm learning to foam roll regularly and spend time on warm ups/dynamic stretches and cool downs/static stretches.
    To do differently? drink way more water & allocate sufficient time for stretching. Nervous about how the training proper is going to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Hands up who has got injured so far - and I believe Ososlo still has you in the base training phase?

What things will you do different in the coming weeks based on the 1st few weeks?

Fingers crossed saying this, no injuries so far & hope to keep it that way!! Following a training plan for half in July, so my mileage isn't as high as some posters, but what I've learnt from it so far is to keep the lsr's sloooowwwwww,! It's hard to do but so worth it, I'm not as fecked after it the next day.

As another poster said, I'm a bit anxious & nervous about how the real training is going to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

No injuries so far, but I'm generally injury free anyway, which considering I don't have a good stretching regime is surprising! I have had a minor enough issue with discomfort in the centre of the sole of my foot in the mornings after a medium to long run, but no pain while running which has caused me not getting it seen to yet, but if it continues I will. I presume its arch related.

I also have the holiday issue (2 weeks in late July) which I'm hoping to try and get around by starting the plan 2 weeks early with a view to repeating those weeks on my return depending how well the running while on holiday plan goes. Not so sure about plotting routes for long runs in areas I'm not totally familiar with though. At the very least I'll be able to do the short to medium runs early in the AM before everyone else gets up, just like normal!

Regarding the pins and needles, I used to get that, particularly around the time I was trying to fall asleep, which was quite uncomfortable. I think it was due to having a very stiff arm style in terms of not having much rotation of the elbow. I found that if I make a conscious effort to shake out the arms for 5-10 seconds every mile (normally at each mile beep to help me remember) it cleared up the issue. Might be no harm to get it checked out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Don't neglect your stretching and core work folks, it is one of the key ways to avoid injury and should be treated nearly as important as actually getting out running.

Remember, core work isn't just sit ups either!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Not so sure about plotting routes for long runs in areas I'm not totally familiar with though.
    When I get lost or take a route I didn't intend to it's almost always on a route I actually know well when I'm paying attention - familiarity breeds contempt and I don't look where I'm going when I'm only in the woods behind my house. When I run on waymarked trails further away I'm much more focussed. I take a look at a map before heading out, keep an eye on the waymarkings, double back to the last one if I think I've missed one, and sometimes carry a map in case some are missing. And maybe water, a snack and some cash.

If you don't want to bother with maps or marked trails, just follow rivers, canals or other obvious linear features. (I've been caught out with rivers, though - when there is a bit of space and foliage between a riverside path and a river, it's possible to think you are still following the river when you have actually left it and started following a tributary - so maybe a glance at a map beforehand is still always a good idea.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

That's a great question AMK as it's very important to be careful at this stage as the mileage steadily increases. I know this only too well myself as you are familiar with my own injury chronicles.

One thing I'd recommend to all novices is to book yourself in for a rub down (sports massage)once every 4-6 weeks when the mileage gets heavy. It's good maintenance for the legs and makes it easier to deal with the extra miles.

Also review if you are training at the right paces and slow down if necessary even if you think you are coping well now with the current pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Listen to the Wise Old Men people! They know what they're talking about ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Don't neglect your stretching and core work folks, it is one of the key ways to avoid injury and should be treated nearly as important as actually getting out running.

Remember, core work isn't just sit ups either!

What core exercises are good to do? I tend to be fairly haphazard about them and I guess now is a good time to work out (pun not intended) a proper plan for core strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Touch wood, no injuries yet, but I'm usually pretty injury free. Having said that, I'm not up to the mileage of some and I am very very very slow - not just on LSR's either :o

I am doing the pre-marathon plan that Ososlo posted but still haven't got up to the required miles per week, but have upped the miles I had been doing.

Onwards and upwards, but I need to focus more, and my mantra is, more miles in the legs, more miles in the legs .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

I would also like to hear some advise on core work! i have no weights or access to gym.. So at the moment i'm doing situps, planks and push ups in or around the week.

Last week was easy enough with a total of 10 miles running. Skipped the LSR due to study and a long cycle up to sally gap.

This week i'm going good. 2 x 5 miles in so far, short 3 mile planned Friday and 10 mile for Saturday. Miles are coming by easier and pacing is getting a lot better too.

Keeping the mileage above the base training phase ATM as i want to get a bit more weight off before plan start 23rd June..

So all in all going well and enjoying reading everyone's input!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

For me I tend to "Try" and do some of the following about 2-3 times per week. No more than about 20min at a time though.

Planks
    Side Planks
    Squats
    Lunges
    Briidges
    Russian Twists
    Superman etc.

This kind of thing:

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/fast-abs?page=2

The whole core work issue is very subjective. I don't do any but do the AIS stretching exercises (link on post one) religiously and have never felt stronger and more niggle-free. I would have done planks and other stuff last year but found they just hurt my neck and back.
    You just have to experiment and see what works for you. Lots of physiotherapists run specific core classes for runners so that might be an option. Whatever you choose to do just ensure you're doing them correctly so seek professional advice if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Ososlo wrote: »
    The whole core work issue is very subjective. I don't do any but do the AIS stretching exercises (link on post one) religiously and have never felt stronger and more niggle-free. I would have done planks and other stuff last year but found they just hurt my neck and back.
    You just have to experiment and see what works for you. Lots of physiotherapists run specific core classes for runners so that might be an option. Whatever you choose to do just ensure you're doing them correctly so seek professional advice if possible.

^^ what she said ^^

Plus as an addition - start off easy on the core stuff if you are doing it.

It may feel easy at the time but DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) can last for a few days afterwards.

For me, core work does work - Stretching is also very important and slightly different to Core strengthening.

I'd always advocate (just not do myself ;) ) running 1 mile less and spending that 8-12 mins doing stretching.
    Its a good habit to get into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

adrian522 wrote: »

I've used this myself, but be careful with the frequency that you do them.
    A sports therapist told me that doing Bridges too frequently can weaken the hamstrings.

Some areas that I'd focus on: (apart from the Planks/lunges/squats that we all know)

Supermen are key workouts and very simple as we all neglect our lower back.

Stretching the hip flexor - for those of us who have a desk job, this is an often neglected area and any weakness here can cause a myriad of issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I also need to improve my stretching routine and make sure I work it in so it's like second nature. I find I'll be great for a while and then I get a bit lax with myself. Invariably it's the arrival of a niggle or muscle tightness that reminds me I need to be better again. Need to not let myself get to that point!

Also have the holiday in June so will miss week one of the plan. Won't get to do any running on this trip I'd say so starting the plan a couple of weeks early myself to allow for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Ososlo - the AIS exercises you do. Just wondering would you be doing them every day regardless of whether you run or only as part of your running warm up? Sorry if that's covered in the links on the first post, limited internet access at the moment.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Ososlo - the AIS exercises you do. Just wondering would you be doing them every day regardless of whether you run or only as part of your running warm up? Sorry if that's covered in the links on the first post, limited internet access at the moment.
    Yes I do them every day but I also run every day. The odd day I'd take off I'd still do them. I've grown to really enjoy doing them though as they make me feel lovely and supple so are a positive thing overall. I do them before the run and sometimes after. Before is more important though. Just the days you run is plenty to start off with. If you do it let me know how you find it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm a bit confused here.

Are you saying we should replace core work with stretching or are you saying that AIS strengthens the core also?

I would have thought strength and Stretching would both be important (albeit separate) areas to work on during training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

In an attempt at finally resolving the tightness in my shoulder I got some dry needling done today. flipping heck it hurts.

Couple of days off running possibly but well worth it if it loosens me up.

I do a yoga class 3 times a week and find that this works as both core strengthening and stretching (although I still do the usual static stretches after every run). I came across this http://www.runnersworldonline.com.au/stretch-running/ earlier on which I think shows that everyone is different and its best to find out by trial (and error!) what suits your body best.

• Advertisement

I thought hard about whether to do this after TriAthy at the weekend, but decided to HTFU and go for it - 6m tempo (4 @ 8:27).

Glad I did it now, before I went out I didn't think I could stick the pace but it wasn't bad at all.

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/513708824

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

Hey Folks,
    I'm jumping into this thread. I've 6 HM and 1 DCM under my belt, but I still consider myself very much a novice.

Ran into stomach trouble last year around mile 16 after doing the first 13miles in 2hrs.. Got home in 5.03 so this year I'll be looking to improve.
    So far my training is not going great and at the moment plan to use Hal Higdons 18 week program.

My PB's are
    26.2 = 5.03
    HM = 2.06
    10km = 54min
    5km = 26min

Which I achieved all last year, but currently I'm 10lbs heavier and no where near those times.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cause confusion with the core work comment. With regards to me, I do a mix of those runners world core exercises and some S&C rehab prescribed ones. 3 times a week for about 20minutes. But I also include a decent set in one of my S&C sessions too.

Its not just what many would consider the traditional 'core' either - basically its a range of exercises for muscles from ankle to glutes too.

Don't get too caught up in it, but don't neglect them either.

I'm a bit confused here.

Are you saying we should replace core work with stretching or are you saying that AIS strengthens the core also?

I would have thought strength and Stretching would both be important (albeit separate) areas to work on during training.
    I'm not telling you what to do as different things suit different people. All I'm saying is that for me ais currently seems to be providing me with good flexibility and I feel stronger overall for it.
    I'm not doing specific core work as such and feel better than ever. It's working for me but might not for the next person.
    If the exercises you are currently doing seem to be working for you then continue as you are.

Well, all was going great up until May 21st. I'd a bit of pain in y shin/lower calf so decided to see if a few days off would sort that out. I could feel myself even sitting at my desk that it wasn't sorted so took 5 full days rest.

Went for an easy run but still I could feel some pain, nothing major but didn't want to push it so gave it some more rest.

Today makes 8 further days without running, in the mean time I've picked up a head cold so wouldn't have been running anyway.

Back into the physio tomorrow. Wish me luck, I feel like all the fitness I've built up over the last several months is going out the window.

Hopefully back doing some easy runs later on this week and back properly next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Well, all was going great up until May 21st. I'd a bit of pain in y shin/lower calf so decided to see if a few days off would sort that out. I could feel myself even sitting at my desk that it wasn't sorted so took 5 full days rest.

Went for an easy run but still I could feel some pain, nothing major but didn't want to push it so gave it some more rest.

Today makes 8 further days without running, in the mean time I've picked up a head cold so wouldn't have been running anyway.

Back into the physio tomorrow. Wish me luck, I feel like all the fitness I've built up over the last several months is going out the window.

Hopefully back doing some easy runs later on this week and back properly next week.

I feel your pain. Im well experienced with losing fitness thru injury. Was due a session tonight but feeling a bit of pain in the right leg again. Gonna stretch the ****e out of everything now and see where I am for tomorrow

Had to take a walking break during a run on Monday. Dunno wtf that was about. Can't remember the last time I had to do that.

Look on the head cold as a positive thing! It's a good time to get it. If you were back on your feet this week and then picked up the cold then you'd have to rest for longer so this way you're getting the two things out of the way together. Every cloud and all that....::rolleyes:
    Seriously though, you won't lose your fitness that quickly. Just stay active in whatever way you can, be it walking or biking or whatever.
    Good luck with physio tomorrow and report back.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I feel your pain. Im well experienced with losing fitness thru injury. Was due a session tonight but feeling a bit of pain in the right leg again. Gonna stretch the ****e out of everything now and see where I am for tomorrow

Had to take a walking break during a run on Monday. Dunno wtf that was about. Can't remember the last time I had to do that.

Sorry to hear about the leg pain:(
    Did you have to walk cause the leg was hurting you or was it a fitness thing?
    Hope you're back in proper order asap L_M.

back into the physio tomorrow. Wish me luck,.
    good luck! Hope you get that sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Just got back from a nice 6 miles @ mp http://connect.garmin.com/activity/513904767
    Was aiming between 8:50-9:00, kept it even except had to hop on a small wall to avoid flood water so slowed me down at mile 4.

Should be doing 3 miles tomorrow but the club is holding a 1500m and 200 metre so going to do them instead.

Advertisement