Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

How are all the legs today?
    Some great reports btw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

Ososlo wrote: »
    Some great reports btw!

Feeling stiff in general, but nothing too bad. Cycled home on Monday and in/out of work yesterday. The worst thing was I was just so tired last night..not in a "I could sleep all week" way but just real weary and lethargic. Felt A LOT brighter this morning. Legs still stiff but healing. Might go for a GENTLE jog Thurs/Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

Ososlo wrote: »
    Some great reports btw!

Legs are better than yesterday but still rough, got off at Pearse Station this morning and the escalator was out of order, disaster. Might go for a swim later in the week but also still really sluggish, still buzzed after it all. Love reading all the reports guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭jonny99

Hi all. I was one of the 5hr pacers on monday, a huge congrats to all who finished, and if you didnt hit your time, remember that finishing is a huge achievement in itself.Theres always another day.We saw lots of examples of bravery, some people who 'couldnt' at mile 22, yet passed us before the finish, others who went from a walk to a jog for the last mile to finish with us, and one girl in particular who made a solemn promise at the start line that she would cross the finsh line with us.and did.a great day for the soul :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭jonny99

Hi all. I was one of the 5hr pacers on monday, a huge congrats to all who finished, and if you didnt hit your time, remember that finishing is a huge achievement in itself.Theres always another day.We saw lots of examples of bravery, some people who 'couldnt' at mile 22, yet passed us before the finish, others who went from a walk to a jog for the last mile to finish with us, and one girl in particular who made a solemn promise at the start line that she would cross the finsh line with us.and did.a great day for the soul :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Sore today. A different kind of sore to yesterday tho.
    Praying that the fire alarm doesn't go off in work today leaving me having to hobble down 6 flights of stairs :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

How are people recovering?

I feel fine today, a few aches and what not but the same as after a long run really. No issues with stairs thankfully!

People say to take a solid 2 weeks off with no running, is this a hard and fast rule or could some easy miles be done next week at some point?

I've been catching up on all the things I was avoiding in the last few weeks. Pints mainly. Ended up going for a drink yesterday evening as a friend just home from SF and another getting married on Saturday. Was supposed to be a quiet night but turned into a late one finishing in Zaytoon. Win win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

adrian522 wrote: »
    How are people recovering?

I feel fine today, a few aches and what not but the same as after a long run really. No issues with stairs thankfully!

People say to take a solid 2 weeks off with no running, is this a hard and fast rule or could some easy miles be done next week at some point?

I've been catching up on all the things I was avoiding in the last few weeks. Pints mainly. Ended up going for a drink yesterday evening as a friend just home from SF and another getting married on Saturday. Was supposed to be a quiet night but turned into a late one finishing in Zaytoon. Win win.

I remember last year that my real soreness didn't set in for a few days after the marathon. My calfs got really sore about 3/4 day afterwards and I was really surprised by that as I'd run the whole thing at an easy effort.
    I thought the first day or two afterwards that I would be fine to run again in a few days but no way could I run when the calfs seized up. I'd be very careful. It's different for the guys who've done a few marathon I'd say or someone like AMK who was doing it at recovery pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Tester46 wrote: »
    and the man running barefoot near the front of Wave 2 ie near the 3:50 pacers? How did they get on - did they finish?

He was Italian afaik. I met him and his running buddies on the way to the startline, and they asked me to take their picture. He was pointing at his feet, but I presumed he was going to put runners on. He tore past us in the phoenix park, barefoot. Mad stuff :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

Ososlo,

I have possibly been the worst contributor to this thread but I just want to say thank you so much for all the time and effort you have put into this over the last number of months.

I wouldn't have been able to get around on Monday had it not been for reading this thread religiously despite not getting involved in the discussion.

I'm proud to say I'm a marathon runner!

Many thanks.

• Advertisement

Guys I hope you don't mind me posting this here. On Monday after I finished the marathon, I had a quick hug with the Mrs. a sambo and coffee and then made my way back onto the course to find my best friend, he was carrying 57 pounds on his back and despite all advice before and throughout the event by medics to not continue, he did.

He came across the finish line with not a person in sight bar his girlfriend and some race officials and I thought it'd be nice for him to get some recognition for the utterly incredible effort he put in. Please share this in any way you can, I made efforts to have this covered by all the news outlets but nobody paid a word of attention (except for Balls.ie) and I thought it was a shame for him. He did it in just under 8 hours. :)http://goo.gl/xNXMsH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Recovery wise my legs are wrecked. Not so much my calves but my quads are shredded. I have to come down the stairs putting one leg first and dragging the other after me.
    On the otherhand my head and general self feel quite good. Normally after lsrs my mood could be a bit down but I feel fresh. After the race I took an omega 3 tablet and a sports multivitamin plus water with an electrolyte tablet. I drank a lot of water afterwards but still only had a few short toilet trips so the body needed all the hydration. I think I will take a multivitamin for the rest of the week. My mouth has a good few ulcers. I always get these when I get rundown. I have read people can pick up a lot of sicknesses in the month afterwards so want to take care of the body. I am not an avid fan of supplements but will take them on for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Fair play to him that sounds like torture. Any pics?

I feel surprisingly ok today. Legs a bit stiff but not much at all. Stairs are fine and I'm on the 2nd floor in work! I'm gonna rest for a full week then go out for a jog and see how I feel. Parkrun is coming to my local park this sat for the first time. Raging I cant start yet!

I'm happy to say my constant hunger is gone. I'm still on a complete high from the marathon. Cant stop thinking about it. I need to write a proper report instead of just posting bits of waffle here and there. I should really type it out while its fresh in my head.

Has anyone come across photos of the finish line. I thought there would be photos of everyone going over the line. There are lots of amateur photos out there but you could be trawling through hundreds and not find yourself.

Joleigh wrote: »
    Fair play to him that sounds like torture. Any pics?

I feel surprisingly ok today. Legs a bit stiff but not much at all. Stairs are fine and I'm on the 2nd floor in work! I'm gonna rest for a full week then go out for a jog and see how I feel. Parkrun is coming to my local park this sat for the first time. Raging I cant start yet!

I'm happy to say my constant hunger is gone. I'm still on a complete high from the marathon. Cant stop thinking about it. I need to write a proper report instead of just posting bits of waffle here and there. I should really type it out while its fresh in my head.

If you click on the balls.ie link the story is there with some pics, I was going to add pics of his feel and shoulders but thought against it in case anyone is squeamish haha. He's still in bed the poor lad.

Has anyone come across photos of the finish line. I thought there would be photos of everyone going over the line. There are lots of amateur photos out there but you could be trawling through hundreds and not find yourself.

you'll get them here: http://www.finisherpix.com/home.html
    Just pop in your bib number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Legs are worse today, quads are mangled. Downstairs is reducing me to tears!
    Left calf, feels like there's something alive in there, like a worm or something, really strange sensation but not painful. I can actually see my left calf muscle moving in waves :eek (Anyone know what this is? I don't think I have worms :) )
    Slept well since, and cold/flu is completely gone now, must have scared the ****e out of the bug.
    Can't stop eating junk.

Found myself in the DCM 2nd video on Facebook, @1:50 mark, I pushed on in last 400m to beat the guy in the kilt, but it seems he crawled me back and pipped me at the post!

Planning my 10K St Stephen's Day race. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

http://www.finisherpix.com/events/single-view/dublin-marathon-2014.html

tiger if you click here then put in your name it should show you all your photos, there's loads of me going over finish line so assume likewise for everyone?

legs not too bad today either, a little sore coming down stairs but survivable!

Firedance wrote: »
    http://www.finisherpix.com/events/single-view/dublin-marathon-2014.html

tiger if you click here then put in your name it should show you all your photos, there's loads of me going over finish line so assume likewise for everyone?

legs not too bad today either, a little sore coming down stairs but survivable!

I only have the finishing line pics; seems the cameras at the other locations missed me!

crisco10 wrote: »
    I only have the finishing line pics; seems the cameras at the other locations missed me!

same here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Well, here goes with the race report. It has taken me two days to process it and think it through. Apologies in advance if it’s too long and rambling, a bit like the race!

The Background
    For context, I grew up with absolutely no athletic or sporting talent of any kind… always picked last for teams at school. My early cross-country running career climaxed with coming 39 out of 40 in an u-12 race. The humiliation still stings. As someone who is naturally very competitive but lacking any physical ability, the only rational thing to do was turn my nose up at participation in any sport after that (other than playing second mixed doubles on the school U-15 badminton team, where we finished last in the league two years in a row).

I started running casually in 2012 and did some training in 2013 for the Dublin race series. The 2013 half marathon was nightmarish, the hardest thing I ever did but I finished it.

Anyhow, this is all to say that I am not someone who believes in physical pain as the path to redemption. I prefer to avoid it if possible. :eek:

In the meantime, my OH, Murph, had been bitten by the marathon bug and I was really enjoying being a spectator!

The Training
    Because the 2013 half was so excruciating, I decided I was going to train properly for the 2014 Dublin Half and try to do it right. I downloaded a Hal Higdon Half training program, then on a whim looked at the Marathon program and thought, well, I can follow the Marathon program until the half and see how I get on, make a decision then.

The training was all too easy… I enjoyed it all, even the first long runs when I could hardly walk afterwards. I did a fair bit of training in Donegal, hills and wind didn’t faze me. I didn’t have a niggle or an injury and felt pretty invincible after nailing the Half Marathon in 2:01:xx (compared to 2:19 last year). Ah, the smugness and complacency that set in.:cool:

I did notice from Boards that almost everyone seemed to be doing more than HH1 Novice, and I wondered whether it was too easy, not enough mileage.

The only hiccup in training was in the first week of taper (right after the only 20 miler in HH1), when I came down with a pretty bad chest infection, needing antibotics. October 12 was the first long run I couldn’t finish (did 8 miles instead of the 12 in the plan) and probably shouldn’t have started. I missed about 10 days of running because of being wiped out and a little doubt set in as to whether DCM would be on at all.

But I was feeling better last week and got out for a few easy runs and decided I was feeling well enough to give it a go.

Pre-Race
    Nutrition and hydration were good. Murph and I did the breakfast run on Sunday morning because it was very local for us. It was great fun, but at the time I thought I shouldn’t really do this, I should be resting, but I got sucked in and who could resist the battle of Clontarf ‘re-enactment’?

I had been feeling very calm until Sunday when I started getting very buzzy and excited (i.e., nervous). I didn’t sleep much Sunday night, but that was ok.

Had the usual breakfast of porridge, with apple, nuts, seeds and honey. Lots of complex carbs to help later in the day. Murph had to quit his 5:00 hr pacing gig earlier in the week because he caught the same chest infection, but felt well enough to run on Monday morning so decided to run with me.

We are lucky to live close to town, so ordered a cab at about 7:50 and got to Merrion Square at 8, in plenty of time for bag drop, etc.

Watching the big screen as the first and second waves took off was a thrill. It was already warm, we didn’t need the layers we brought. We chatted to a parkrunner we know who had a bad experience in Berlin and was hoping to finish DCM (we heard later that she did, fair play to her).

We lined up behind the 4:30 pacers (a new experience for Murph to be so far back in the field). I spotted Laois Man and his friend by their charity singlets, but decided not to say hello at this point as he had posted that he probably wouldn’t be able to speak at the beginning.

The Race

And then we were off… it was crowded but enjoyable running through Leeson St and across the Green, then down through the Liberties. Mrs FBOT, supporter of the day, gave us her first shout out (of 3 or maybe 4) somewhere around Kevin St, I think. A bit more space when we got on to the quays and the first water station. Coming in to the park we spotted some family members, which was a nice boost.

The drag up Chesterfield was fine, the park looked lovely. We had a brief chat with Laois Man about half way through. He seemed relaxed and confident.

I don’t remember the wind here, but I do remember starting to feel very hot. My head felt hot and this was before the sun came out at all.

We came out around Castleknock and as everyone has said, great support here. But only 7 miles gone, and negative thoughts started to creep in… I don’t know if I can do this. Some big guy clipped me from behind turning the corner into College Rd, but luckily no harm done. The downhill back into the park didn’t feel as much of a relief as it should have. At this stage we were just ahead of the 4:30 pacers, mainly to get out of the congestion.

Back into my favourite part of the park, from Knockmaroon to Chapelizod Gate, the Glen Pond shining below us, the trees magnificent. But again, I was starting to feel tired, and that there was a very long way to go.

Through Chapelizod, friends of ours were just across the bridge and gave us a great enthusiastic shout. Murph went over to hug them, I decided not to add any extra steps. As Murph caught back up with me, a runner quipped: you got great energy out of that cuddle! :D

Up the hill into Inchicore was fine, a challenging hill but didn’t really bother me. I enjoyed the guy with the guitar and then it was great to see the imposing gates of the Royal Hospital up ahead, and the iconic Kilmainham Gaol. I took the opportunity for a portaloo stop there (seems disrespectful somehow), no more than about 30 seconds, poor Murph had to wait outside, watching the 4:30 pacers pass us. We were never ahead of them again.

The tumult and hubbub of Kilmainham (loved the disco dancing fancy dress guys on the pillars!) was followed by an almost eerie quiet on the first stretch of SCR. I began to feel like I would never see the canal. The crowds at Dolphins Barn were a blur, although I think Mrs FBOT popped up here again.

I was starting to tell myself, just get to half way. By then, I didn’t care about the pace or time. On the Crumlin Road, I had to walk. I’m not even sure if it was before or after the halfway mark. This took Murph by surprise as I hadn’t warned him. I didn’t have any pain or discomfort, just no energy whatsoever. None. I felt completely drained. Bearing in mind that we arrived at the halfway point in 2:14 and I had done the Dublin Half in 2:01 and felt great at the end, I couldn’t understand what was going on. I had taken a gel as planned at 5 miles and again at 10 miles, I was well hydrated, I just had no energy.

Apocalyptic thoughts started then – I’m a complete failure, I’m not going to make it, this is awful, worst thing I’ve ever done, etc. I don’t know how long we walked (poor Murph, again a new experience for him) but eventually started a slow shuffling ‘run’ again. I think from Crumlin to KCR, we probably walked as much as we ran. I will not call this a run/walk ‘strategy’ because there was no strategy involved!

Murph was being really supportive but I could tell he was wondering what the best motivation tactic was. Finally, he said to me, as we were walking, ‘there’s 10 miles to go, what do you want to do?’ F**k, I thought, it will take forever to walk 10 miles, but I’m going to finish this even if I do have to walk. On the other hand, I was also fantasizing about where I could get a bus home or sneak off to the Luas.

So we started the shuffling run again. There was a girl in a Donegal jersey ahead of us on Kimmage rd and all the ‘come on Donegal’ shouts felt like they were for me too. Going around KCR, my future sister in law bellowed at us, that gave me a boost and I was relieved I was actually running when she saw me.

Murph was wearing his Crusaders singlet, so he got lots of ‘come on Crusaders’. He admitted afterwards that he was a bit embarrassed to be walking! I was wearing a Barnardos charity t-shirt but got no shouts for it, so either I was looking too grim or it wasn’t very legible! I apologized a few times on behalf of Crusaders, pointing out that it was my fault he was walking.

Through the Bushy Park stretch I was only barely aware of the crowds. I had my head down, repeating a phrase a friend had given me: rhythm and will. I didn’t have much of either but the phrase worked very well as a mantra, over and over, step by step. I hadn’t the energy to say it out loud, just in my head.

Terenure and Orwell Road went by in a blur, I was happy to see the downhill by the Dodder and then the uphill at Milltown… I ran up it, stopped only by an idiot in a car who pulled out of a side road into the race… really dangerous at that stage. 04 C… if I had seen the rest of his number plate I would name and shame him.

And finally around Clonskeagh and into the long drag up to Roebuck. By this stage, we were with or just behind the 4:40 pacers, who were chatting to Killian Byrne (we had last seen him and exchanged a few words on Parkgate st with the 4:30 pacers). A friend of Killian’s ran out to hug him and nearly collided with me on her way back. She was very apologetic, it wasn’t her fault, just that I was in a zombie shuffle at that stage and couldn’t take any evasive action.

I said to hell with this, I am running up that damn hill no matter what, I’m from Donegal, it’s not a real hill. I put the head down, focused on a bum in front of me (is that wrong?) and nailed Roebuck hill. I even had enough energy to point out the typo on the sign on the ‘wall’ at the top: ‘YOUR nearly there’. I was completely oblivious to the supporters here.

From there it felt like we were nearly home, walked a few more times on Fosters avenue, on the overpass and maybe even a little at the beginning of Merrion Road. I knew our daughters were going to be somewhere near Anglesea Rd and also some friends were likely to be along that stretch, so I decided I better be running when I passed them all.

Mr. Stew gave us a cheery shout with his megaphone, then for the next few blocks there was a friend at each corner and finally, a huge shout out from our girls and their friends, madly waving a Donegal flag… a hug, a laugh, and on we went down Shelbourne Rd.

I was more alert now and noticing the crowds more. I loved the Drogheda and District zone at Bath Avenue. Finally, we saw the 800m to go sign, such relief. The last stretch down Mount St, as everyone has said, was brilliant. I can hardly remember it, I didn’t see one face in the crowd, I think I just absorbed the energy and noise. I remember saying, where is the bloody finish, holding Murph’s hand, and then it was there. He pushed me across a few seconds before him.

Finishing time was 4:43:11.

As soon as I crossed the finish line, I could hardly walk, but shuffled around to get the bags. I was weirdly unemotional and flat. That, I thought, was one of the most godawful experiences of my life.

But coming out to hugs from the girls and to meet everyone in McGrattan’s cheered me up no end.

Reflections
    I’m still not sure what I make of it all. I was relieved to read all the descriptions of the ‘carnage’ out there, so it wasn’t just me. I didn’t feel like the wind bothered me, it cooled me down a bit. Going into the race, I thought miles 20-26.2 were the unknowns, but felt very confident before starting that I could do 20 miles. So to crash before halfway was a big shock. From about 14-17 miles, it was completely touch and go.

How much of it was psychological? I don’t know. I wasn’t feeling strong from the beginning and definitely not from Castleknock on. Did my negative thoughts drain my energy? Or was it the residue of the chest infection from a week before?

If I had to do it all again, I would try to do more long runs than HH1 called for, and probably should have done them slower as Ososlo pointed out to me ages ago. I also would have skipped the breakfast run and conserved energy more on Sunday.

Interesting to look at the stats – from 10k to the half I slipped 1268 places! But from the half to the finish, I gained 1,022 places. Which confirms my crash at half way, but I suppose there’s some solace to be taken from some sort of recovery towards the end. :confused:

Splits and race position:
    10k: 1:03:15 ; 8693
    Half: 2:14:03; 9961
    30k: 3:18:12; 9791
    Finish: 4:43:11; 8939

Highlights:
    My amazing OH, who gave me water, jellies, support throughout. I’d probably still be in a heap on the Crumlin road somewhere, only for Murph.

I never stopped. Walking doesn’t count as stopping, does it? :confused:

The families and kids all through Templeogue and Terenure handing out jellies, goodwill and sustenance.

The support from friends and family – every shout out got me another Km along the way.

Meeting all the Boardsies afterwards in McGrattan’s… even though I couldn’t even finish a pint!

I didn’t come last (no disrespect to whoever did, but it’s my biggest fear). I came 256th out of 490 in my category… so it’s still better than 39th out of 40!!! :cool:

No lasting ill effects that compeed (toe blister) and difene (leg pain) couldn’t take care of!

Oh, I also raised €1,100 and counting for Barnardos!

Will I do it again?
    I hope so. I now know I can cover the distance, just about. Next time, I want to do it right :D

A big thanks to everyone on here for the support, advice and companionship through this. Especially Ososlo, who is now officially a legend. :p

It works on number recognition. If your arm was across your number at that point the system won't record a number. I put my number on my chest area as it stops my hands from hitting the sides of number when running. I got lucky at the finish as I went over to about 3 photographers with a big cheesy grin. Turns out they were with finisherpix.

Look what I found from almost 6 months ago. Feels like an absolute age!! Re-reading I exceeded all expectations from then. Absolutely chuffed when I think back to what I was feeling then!

The business is well and truly finished now. :-)
    Nice one Ososlo! Some effort put into those first posts...

Okay, this is my second time doing this, having signed up last year....Damn injury.

Have you raced before?If so what are your PBs? Did a few races recently, most recent was Parkrun in 20:10. Longest race was last summer, where I did the Frank Duffy 10 miler in 70minutes even.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? No.

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Currently doing about 40km a week, with a LSR of 20km. (Pace is 5:15/km) I try to get one other run of about 8km in that has some sort of pace work. Then the balance of the mileage spread across 2 or 3 easy/recovery runs. Try and stretch every day, pilates once a week.
    This might change a bit in June/Early July as I am playing Tag Rugby on Thursdays, but that will be finished on 17th July so I can refocus training then.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? Firstly, I just want to be in the starting pen on the 27th having had injury free summer. Then I will see where it takes me. Wouldn't dare put a time down now, recipe for injury as I try to chase the goal time.

How many days a week can you train? 4-5 days.

Why are you running this marathon? 2 words. Unfinished Business.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well done annapr, great running and a great report!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sca21

Another long one!!
    Oh where do I start? First of all, I must confess, I was not strictly a novice going into Monday’s race as I had ran the Kildare Marathon in 2012 in a time of 4:15. Yet, this thread was tailor made for me as it answered a lot of questions with LSR’s, training schedules etc. Hence, I followed, didn’t post that often but lurked!
    Prior to Monday I was on the back of a good 14 weeks training with no injury and just 1 missed run. My peak mileage was 44 and on average I say I was doing 35 miles a week. My longest lsr was 22 miles. Over the past 14 weeks, I managed to get my 10k pb down to 46 minutes and my half down to 1.45. All the indicators that training was going well and that a sub 4 was a realistic goal. Game on. I can do this.
    My race strategy was to run 8.45 minute miles. I contemplated going with the sub 4 hour pacers but I have tried even splits before and I just can’t do them for some reason. So I was running my own race and by myself. All my training was on my own so that was fine.
    So the big day arrived, up nice and early, got my list and ticked things off. Nipples, garmin, race number, gels. I had my porridge and did some light stretches and off I went. Arrived into the starting area and lined up behind the 3.50 pacers, wasn’t going to follow them just somehow ended up behind them. Met a woman from work, we were both raising funds for the autistic unit in our school. It was nice to see her and a gentle reminder of the good cause I was doing this for. Then the national anthem blared and I felt like I was in Croke Park. Amazing atmosphere, a sign of things to come!

Miles 1-6 (8.32, 8.47, 8.46, 8.48, 8.46, 8.44)
    Nothing major here. A fast first mile due to excitement but pulled in the reigns at mile two. I was looking forward to the Phoenix Park section as I had done most my training here and I was expecting support along the way. Castleknock was truly unforgettable. The noise was something else. I heard an American girl shout “you guys rock”. I had a little chuckle and on I went past Myo’s. Oh the many a pint that was drank in there.

Miles 7-13.1 (8:48, 8.45, 8.42, 8.46, 8.53, 8.38, 8.46) Halfway 1.56.16
    On I go. Passed the 10k 55.17. I took my first gel shortly before mile 7 and stopped for a wee. Back in the park and I’m feeling fine at this stage. More support from a girl at work. Out of the park and the first real challenge, that hill not sure where exactly. I had to work a little bit more than I would have liked. Took on water and everything that was on over but I forgot to take my second gel. Big mistake. Passed the halfway mark. Happy with my progress, I knew deep down that this was where it really started.

Miles 14-20 (8.55, 9.01, 8.54, 9.13, 9.12, 9.28, 9.55) 30k split 2.47
    At mile 14, I realized that I didn’t take my second gel and had to wait for the next station which I think was mile 16. I think it was here I really noticed the heat. Things were starting to get very uncomfortable. Pace was dropping, but I wasn’t panicking. I knew it was going to get tough. But boy not this tough. This was something I never experienced before. Every step became heavy. People were walking and I wanted to walk too. At mile 18 I began to walk, but counted to 20 in my head and off I went again. I knew that if I could keep the legs moving I would be ok. From 19 miles onwards, it was all negative thoughts. I kept saying in my head ‘I hate this’. Seeing people being carried away in ambulances was horrendous. I knew something was up.

Miles 21-to finish (10.17, 11.14, 9.14, 9.53, 10.15, 10.29, 8.40 the .4
    9 part) Finish 4.03.54
    Torture, torture, torture. No other words can describe the last 10k. I remember thinking that this wasn’t like this during my last marathon. I also took my last two gels during this section, but they made little difference. From mile 20 onwards, the pace skydived. Walked small intervals but not a lot. The only glimmer of hope was somewhere shortly after mile 22 the 4 hour pacers came along like a steam train. I said to myself I’ll tuck in behind them for a mile or two, I knew I hadn’t enough energy for sub 4 now. It was all about just finishing the thing. It all became a bit of a blur from mile 23. Can’t recall Roebuck hill after all the talk! The last two mile went on and on. The crowd definitely carried me over the line. I remember going up the finishing straight and I couldn’t see the finishing line. Then I got a glimpse of it and said ****, thats too far away I won’t make it. Somehow dug in deep again and struggled over the line. Just under four minutes off my target time but a new P.B by 11 minutes.

I was absolutely shattered after it all. Really gruelling experience. But I suppose that’s what the marathon is all about. I definitely pushed my body to the limit. I couldn’t have done anymore. Looking back, I am surprised with my splits for the last 10k. I thought I was running much slower than that. It is very hard to describe mile 20 to the finish. The atmosphere was immense, but I was in a heap, it really wasn’t pretty.
    Two post-race pints with the auld lad and brother who came up for the day without telling me. The brother was roaring at me near the finish but I was completely out of it at that stage to hear him.
    All in all, a great day. Truly amazing. I’m happy that I’m closer to a sub 4 now than I was before the race. Will I go again, for third time lucky? Who knows?
    To the Novice thread, Ososlo and her recruits. Well done. We made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Great report Annapr, I'm sorry about Claire, she is very enthusiastic and saw I wasn't as fresh as I'd hope to be. She knows that while I'm only too happy to dish out the advice, sometimes I'm not so good at taking other people's advice onboard so she ran alongside for a minute.

Good to meet you and Murph, we were all going strong when we first met!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great report Annapr, I'm sorry about Claire, she is very enthusiastic and saw I wasn't as fresh as I'd hope to be. She knows that while I'm only too happy to dish out the advice, sometimes I'm not so good at taking other people's advice onboard so she ran alongside for a minute.

Good to meet you and Murph, we were all going strong when we first met!

We were! No apology necessary. Hope it didn't come across that way, her enthusiasm was great, I just wasn't nimble at that stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

How do people know how many places they gained at certain points?

I've already seen one video of someone near my finish time who obviously paid for it. Never realised how many people were around me at the finish line. it was so busy!

http://www.tdl.ltd.uk/race-results.php?year=2014&event_prefill=1806

Search for your name there and it gives positions at various points in the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Belgo

Hi folks, like others I was much more of a lurker rather than an active participant on this thread, but I would like to greatly thank everyone who was on hand to dispense the wisdom of their experience - as a first time marathon runner, it helped me enormously with my preparations. In the end I exceeded my ambitious hope of 3:30 and was over the moon to manage a 3:27 finish. More than the time though, I will take away the memories of the incredible support everywhere, the kids looking for a high-five, the families with jellies and sweets, the street parties and that 10am BBQ!! That said, my particular favourite was looking up at the local wag in Castleknock with his sign "congratulations, you're the slowest runner...so far" :D

As the pain slowly begins to dissipate from my limbs, and the euphoria which stuck with me all through Monday and Tuesday also begins to disappear, I've been struck by a numb and empty feeling - I was just wondering if this is common to any other novices? I've really noticed today that I've been feeling down - something which provided me with a focus and which seized me with such excitement and nervousness in the weeks beforehand has now gone, and I feel at somewhat of a loss... Traditionally I'd been a keen GAA and soccer player, but having completed my first marathon, I'm really hungry to take running a lot more seriously! But at the same time I'm frustrated that it'll be months before I'll have another big event to focus on!

Sorry if this is somewhat of a stream of consciousness, but until I meet the two friends I ran the DCM with tomorrow, I feel like I'm going a bit crazy and that nobody else outside the first-time marathon community will understand! :)

Advertisement