Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Dub13 wrote: »
    Cheers, it was also on the back of doing 3 15k runs. So the legs were feeling it but still grand. I was just looking at my times for those 3 15k lunch runs as I uploaded them today, seems I did my fastest one on the last day. Not sure what to make of that.

Tue 1:23:48 @ 9:00 min/mi
    Wen 1:26:11 @ 9:15 min/mi
    Thu 1:21:49 @ 8:47 min/mi

Totally agree with the other comments. Your Howth summit run is far less impressive if it's off the back of a tough week. Too fast for sure if you'd done 3x15k at that pace - which is a recipe for a difficult marathon.

Good to know you have the chops though. Bank it, and slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sgal

Hi,
    Only came across this forum yoke now but is really impressive. Just looking for some advice really to help decide whether I can acually push on a do a marathon this year.

•Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    - Only one official race: 05 may 14 25k 2h 22m (very, very tough wind on the day!)
    ahlf marathon in traing of around 1:52
    •Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? No
    •How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    - Very mixed bag I'm afraid, hence my doubts about doing a marathon this year, since starting consistently running since January after a year or two of a month running four times a week to a month of no running, this year has probably been on average three times a week, sometimes worse occasionly better, usually maube 20 miles a wwek or so, fitness wise i I was going well up to 13 miles which I found very straight foward but under trained and under prepared for my 25k race and reallly struggled and have only doing a few hady runs in the month since
    •What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    - In reality just to finish it but would be great to venture near the 4 hour mark
    •How many days a week can you train?
    - thats the big question, max 4 days
    •Why are you running this marathon? Always admired distance runnners and always told myself one day I'd do one, after getting up to 25k I'd love to build on that and push on to marathon distance.

Big question I have for myself is I got found out a bit going from 13 miles to 25k. I had'nt really put in the miles, sometimes only went out once a week! and realised that once the distance goes up you really can't bluff it. Just wondering has anyone else been in the same boat and maybe found a schedule that moves the lsr run around a bit, I work shift, so alot of nights/weekends etc. and mind my 2 smallies on my days off.

Any advice appreciated and keep up the great work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

sgal wrote: »
    Hi,
    Only came across this forum yoke now but is really impressive. Just looking for some advice really to help decide whether I can acually push on a do a marathon this year.

•Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    - Only one official race: 05 may 14 25k 2h 22m (very, very tough wind on the day!)
    ahlf marathon in traing of around 1:52
    •Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? No
    •How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    - Very mixed bag I'm afraid, hence my doubts about doing a marathon this year, since starting consistently running since January after a year or two of a month running four times a week to a month of no running, this year has probably been on average three times a week, sometimes worse occasionly better, usually maube 20 miles a wwek or so, fitness wise i I was going well up to 13 miles which I found very straight foward but under trained and under prepared for my 25k race and reallly struggled and have only doing a few hady runs in the month since
    •What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    - In reality just to finish it but would be great to venture near the 4 hour mark
    e•How many days a week can you train?
    - thats the big question, max 4 days
    •Why are you running this marathon? Always admired distance runnners and always told myself one day I'd do one, after getting up to 25k I'd love to build on that and push on to marathon distance.

Big question I have for myself is I got found out a bit going from 13 miles to 25k. I had'nt really put in the miles, sometimes only went out once a week! and realised that once the distance goes up you really can't bluff it. Just wondering has anyone else been in the same boat and maybe found a schedule that moves the lsr run around a bit, I work shift, so alot of nights/weekends etc. and mind my 2 smallies on my days off.

Any advice appreciated and keep up the great work

A HM of 1:52 done in training is nothing to be sniffed at. Alot of novices who will complete the marathon probably wouldn't do 13.1 in an actual race in that time at this point. Or how recently was that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

^^^^^
    Hi sgal. Course you could do it but as you know already, consistency is the most important thing in your training so you need to commit to the 4-5 days a week training or it's going to be another disappointing race experience for you. There is absolutely no way to bluff your way through the training.
    Any plan can be rejigged to do the lsr on any day you like. As long as you have an easy day before it and after it. Same goes for any pace work you may have in the plan you pick so just get out the calendar and a pen along with a plan and get planning!
    Any other questions give us a shout!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

5 days, no running, 1 run, 10 days no running, another run.

Back running today. 5 Mile in 3 weeks, if I'm close to the fitness I had 2 and a half weeks ago I'll be over the moon.

6 Miles this morning. Nice to be back, I'll try not to do too much too soon but really need to get back into some sort of routine, I guess nothing but easy runs for a week or so, what do you think?

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    5 days, no running, 1 run, 10 days no running, another run.

Back running today. 5 Mile in 3 weeks, if I'm close to the fitness I had 2 and a half weeks ago I'll be over the moon.

6 Miles this morning. Nice to be back, I'll try not to do too much too soon but really need to get back into some sort of routine, I guess nothing but easy runs for a week or so, what do you think?
    Recovery effort levels for the moment and I wouldn't do more than 3 or 4 miles for a few days and every second day.
    Be very cautious so you're not back where you were again and build back up very slowly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So, you are saying I shouldn't do 15 miles at marathon pace tomorrow? Interesting :D

adrian522 wrote: »
    So, you are saying I shouldn't do 15 miles at marathon pace tomorrow? Interesting :D

ha ha no. Do that and I'll get the chop:D
    Great to see you back at it though. You just can't be too careful for the next few days to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

hadnt run since Tues to quieten a niggle so today did a 6 mile LSR plus 1 after a yap with a friend. Never did an LSR before, the weather was lovely and it felt reeeeallllly good, feels like you could keep goin for another hour if you really wanted but throw in wind, and a quicker pace and that'd feeling wud soon be knocked outta me :D

JMSE wrote: »
    hadnt run since Tues to quieten a niggle so today did a 6 mile LSR plus 1 after a yap with a friend. Never did an LSR before, the weather was lovely and it felt reeeeallllly good, feels like you could keep goin for another hour if you really wanted but throw in wind, and a quicker pace and that'd feeling wud soon be knocked outta me :D

That's exactly how it should feel:D Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

Week 3 was done and dusted on Monday which put another 11 miles in my legs for the week which took 124 mins.

I'm happy with this build up so far which I know may seem very short compared to what some have already trained each week.

Just as a reminder, in the first week I ran 65mins, the 2nd 92 mins, so I am roughly putting in about a extra 30mins running each week into it which i am happy with.

This week i've had two recovery runs and a middle run totalling 52mins, with my two longest runs due on Sunday and Monday. If all goes well with training next week, i'm planning on my first 5k in about 20years with the aim of between 29 and 32 mins on Saturday in the Malahide Park Run.

This should put me bang on to be able to start the plan i'm using on starting in 11 days.

Still filling very bloated after two or three pints of lager when drinking once a week, may need to change to spirits :(

12 mile LSR @ 10:19 per mile

That's my longest ever LSR....longest run other than a pretty awful experience in a Half Marathon almost exactly one year ago.
    Right leg felt fine....but as usual with me, it may feel different in the morning.

Fairly happy with the above average but not that happy with the consistency of my pace.

Conditions were difficult. Hot. And that wind was stronger than I thought it was.

I tried something different.....tried to hit a 9 minute mile on mile 11....just to see. And.....FAIL!!!! 9:36. Actually felt very slightly nauseous for a minute during that mile. I've missed a lot of weekday runs over the last 3 weeks or so and I'm a bit behind on where I'd like to be because of that. I'm also not used to carrying, or taking on water during a run either - never needed it in my usual distances (up to 8 miles or so usually) or in the usual weather conditions. I'm not sure if that's playing havoc with me a bit.:confused:

Also happening a lot to me lately is people stopping me asking for directions. It really throws you off. I think my face is too friendly. I'll have to scowl more when running. =>> :mad:

And don't you just hate it when you're out running (or anytime) and someone says hello to you by name and you haven't a bog who they are. Happened today and spent the last 5 miles trying to figure out who the feck was she. Still none the wiser! She was hot too! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Cried off 14m lsr today with the excuse of watching the NZ v Eng rugby game. 4 rugby matches later and a short beak to bring the kids swimming and I'm pretty glued to the seat :)

It'll have to happen tomorrow.

is there any rugby on tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

My second ever Half marathon in Monivea yesterday, lots of local club singlets in evidence. I ignored what everyone else was doing, went at my own pace and came in next to last place with a time of 2.37. That's 21 minutes sliced off my PB :)

I've only been out running twice in the last 10 days and it showed, as I lost a lot of pace after 17k. I was on track for 2.30 before that. Still happy with the outcome but I've a lot of distance ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

I had a good week this week.

6.2 miles easy on Monday, LSR 14.4m on Wednesday, 3.5m recovery on Thursday & I tried a tempo run today of 6.3m at 8.49 pace.

I would have been the type of runner who always tried to beat my previous effort up until a month ago or so :-) & I'm making a concerted effort to slow down the LSR & the recovery run but the 8.49 felt quite good.

I know my PMP would be nowhere near that pace, in fact it's probably quite close to 10K pace for me. I only recently went sub2 for the HM. My question is if I do any more tempo runs what pace should I go for? Sorry if it's been asked before & thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Nicsx wrote: »
    I had a good week this week.

6.2 miles easy on Monday, LSR 14.4m on Wednesday, 3.5m recovery on Thursday & I tried a tempo run today of 6.3m at 8.49 pace.

I would have been the type of runner who always tried to beat my previous effort up until a month ago or so :-) & I'm making a concerted effort to slow down the LSR & the recovery run but the 8.49 felt quite good.

I know my PMP would be nowhere near that pace, in fact it's probably quite close to 10K pace for me. I only recently went sub2 for the HM. My question is if I do any more tempo runs what pace should I go for? Sorry if it's been asked before & thanks in advance.

Good question.

Tempo is a broad umbrella term that can mean 10 different things to 10 different people.

Looking at your pace I would say that it is spot on for a short tempo as the general rule of thumb is roughly the pace you can hold for about an hour (which in this case is your 10k pace there or there abouts). This is what is referred to as you Anaerobic Threshold however given the duration of your tempo I would probably advise to slow this to slightly slower than HMP or even closer to MP.

I would say around 9.30-9.40 ish would be suitable for this length of tempo for you however if you are relatively new to the sport your fitness will increase dramaticially quick so 9.20-9.30 ish would be a decent scope in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Alan30

Hi Folks,
    I have decided to have a go and see if i can keep up the motivation to have a crack at DCM. I started run in April 2013 after a few years of not doing much sport (occasional game of football). I haven't done many races just one 5k, a couple of 10ks and a HM. I actually ran the HM injured and was out for a month after it and felt like i lost nearly all my fitness as a result and it is only now i am starting to feel comfortable running an distance again. I have signed up to do the Athlone HM in September.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5k May 2013 28:27
    10k Sept 2013 52:40
    HM March 2014 1:58:09
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)
    No not up to 14 miles anyway.
    How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    I do 2 or 3 short runs a week 3 or 4 mile and i am currently up to 10 miles on the weekend lsr.
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    I would be happy to finish somewhere between 4-4.5 hrs.
    How many days a week can you train?
    It will vary between 3-5 days a week due to working shift (12 hour days/nights and weekend).
    Why are you running this marathon?
    On the back of the adrenaline of finishing the DUNE HM I decided it was now or never.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    12 mile LSR @ 10:19 per mile

That's my longest ever LSR....longest run other than a pretty awful experience in a Half Marathon almost exactly one year ago.
    Right leg felt fine....but as usual with me, it may feel different in the morning.

Fairly happy with the above average but not that happy with the consistency of my pace.

Conditions were difficult. Hot. And that wind was stronger than I thought it was.

I tried something different.....tried to hit a 9 minute mile on mile 11....just to see. And.....FAIL!!!! 9:36. Actually felt very slightly nauseous for a minute during that mile. I've missed a lot of weekday runs over the last 3 weeks or so and I'm a bit behind on where I'd like to be because of that. I'm also not used to carrying, or taking on water during a run either - never needed it in my usual distances (up to 8 miles or so usually) or in the usual weather conditions. I'm not sure if that's playing havoc with me a bit.:confused:

Also happening a lot to me lately is people stopping me asking for directions. It really throws you off. I think my face is too friendly. I'll have to scowl more when running. =>> :mad:

And don't you just hate it when you're out running (or anytime) and someone says hello to you by name and you haven't a bog who they are. Happened today and spent the last 5 miles trying to figure out who the feck was she. Still none the wiser! She was hot too! :P

Great stuff Laois-Man. How is the leg today? Nice to be up to that distance at this point.
    I presume you were well hydrated before the run (night before esp). Maybe try bringing water with you next time to see if it helps or bring some money to pick up some along the way if you need it. I wouldn't worry about the pace problems on that faster mile. Could have happened you for a number of reasons. Really sounds like you were a bit dehydrated.

Cried off 14m lsr today with the excuse of watching the NZ v Eng rugby game. 4 rugby matches later and a short beak to bring the kids swimming and I'm pretty glued to the seat :)

It'll have to happen tomorrow.

is there any rugby on tomorrow?

Did you do it today?

ciaranmac wrote: »
    My second ever Half marathon in Monivea yesterday, lots of local club singlets in evidence. I ignored what everyone else was doing, went at my own pace and came in next to last place with a time of 2.37. That's 21 minutes sliced off my PB :)

I've only been out running twice in the last 10 days and it showed, as I lost a lot of pace after 17k. I was on track for 2.30 before that. Still happy with the outcome but I've a lot of distance ahead.

Super pb! Well done!
    You'll really need to look at increasing the amount of days running though if you want to have a happy DCM experience but increase very gradually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Good weekend. Did 3 miles yesterday. Bit faster than I had been originally planning though, around 9.45 minute miles. Went for the lsr run today and did 8 miles. Kept the pace much slower averaging 10.45 minutes per mile. Most I've ran in a good while but really focusing on running slow meant it was fairly manageable. Knee felt pretty good, no ill effects to report in the hours since so hopefully it's getting back into it.

Happy with that week given I'd been off running for about 2 weeks. 20 miles total done. Will take a rest day tomorrow or maybe an easy 3 mile recovery run. Plan for the week is more of the same just to make sure I don't push the knee too much too soon, with a slight increase in overall mileage to build on the lsr by another mile or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Ososlo wrote: »
    Did you do it today?

Went out this morning, got a mile into it and turned home in conditions akin to some offshore sailing race in the antarctic.

Ventured out again this evening and arranged to meet a pal to give us both encouragement. Did 5miles on my own beforehand and then met up with her - discovered since we last ran together that either she got much quicker or I got much slower! cried off after a further 4 miles as the pace was too fast for my liking.

Total - 9miles, which to be fair right up to the time I was lacing up the runners could very well have been zero miles, so I'm putting that down in the win box!

For the second time, my gamin was registering very strange times in the forest in Marlay Park so I don't really trust the details...

Has that happened to anyone else? under fairly thick cover, the average pace swings wildly from very fast to slower than walking pace? I'm exaggerating, but you know what I mean.

Garmin details here, it says a 10.15 avg pace, but it was much faster than that... http://connect.garmin.com/activity/516449427#.U5SqfJKypyU.twitter

Ososlo wrote: »
    Great stuff Laois-Man. How is the leg today? Nice to be up to that distance at this point.
    I presume you were well hydrated before the run (night before esp). Maybe try bringing water with you next time to see if it helps or bring some money to pick up some along the way if you need it. I wouldn't worry about the pace problems on that faster mile. Could have happened you for a number of reasons. Really sounds like you were a bit dehydrated.

I think maybe I didn't explain it well. Sorry. I meant I brought water yesterday. Did that on last weeks 11 miler and yesterdays 12 miler which Im not used to which I think caused the slight sickie feeling.

Didn't do anything special hydration wise before the run. But I've been dehydrated before and this wasn't it.

Did a 3 mile recovery earlier. Other than a very occasional shot of pain it feels OK. Still worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

weekend running did not go to plan :( had planned on 5 miles yesterday and 5 again today (as part of the first few weeks of hanson plan). Yesterday was a disaster & I couln't get out at all so thought I'd do higher mileage today instead. Could barely manage to do 6 miles, didn't have a great club session on thursday and I think I'm still paying for it now, legs are very tired, hams very tight, it was very hot out there & quite windy. Also took a jelly on the run to try them out stomach wasn't impressed. I know we all have bad running experiences so I just need to put that behind me, learn something from it and move on. I'm thinking of cutting club sessions to one per week as its definitely having an impact on my road runs and I still need to get more miles in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Firedance wrote: »
    weekend running did not go to plan :( had planned on 5 miles yesterday and 5 again today (as part of the first few weeks of hanson plan). Yesterday was a disaster & I couln't get out at all so thought I'd do higher mileage today instead. Could barely manage to do 6 miles, didn't have a great club session on thursday and I think I'm still paying for it now, legs are very tired, hams very tight, it was very hot out there & quite windy. Also took a jelly on the run to try them out stomach wasn't impressed. I know we all have bad running experiences so I just need to put that behind me, learn something from it and move on. I'm thinking of cutting club sessions to one per week as its definitely having an impact on my road runs and I still need to get more miles in.

As you said, put it behind you. At least you got the 6 miles done and you may have learned something you need to change. Still plenty of time to get the miles in. Not familiar with your plan but maybe do a rest day or recovery run or light cross training tomorrow to give yourself a chance to recover if you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Philrunner83

Done 5 mile today in enniscorthy half/5 mile road race... First race since i was a young chap absolutely loved it went off way too fast and paid for it all part of the learning curve I suppose ....done 41.30 on a tough hilly course so happy enough with it .. Increase miles now for next few weeks!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Firedance wrote: »

great suggestion - listen to your body - in about 3-4 weeks, listen to it again a it may be able for the additional sessions. If not, thats ok - Marathon training is 'normally' done on 1 session per week, with aerobic running done elsewhere.

The main run for everyone doing the marathon is the Long Run - keep it sacrosanct and commit to it each week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Oohhohh, did 'run the rock' in aughrim yesterday & can hardly walk down the stairs today! Well worth the pain, fantastic run. Went out for an easy 2 mile run there this evening, stretched out well after it but still feeling the pain! Was gonna do my 10 miles tomorrow or Wednesday, would I be mad? Will I leave doing anything for a couple of days? Any words of wisdom to help with the pain???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

denis160 wrote: »
    Oohhohh, did 'run the rock' in aughrim yesterday & can hardly walk down the stairs today! Well worth the pain, fantastic run. Went out for an easy 2 mile run there this evening, stretched out well after it but still feeling the pain! Was gonna do my 10 miles tomorrow or Wednesday, would I be mad? Will I leave doing anything for a couple of days? Any words of wisdom to help with the pain???

Don't worry that is just DOMS.

My advice would be to get out for a short walk tomorrow just to aid bloodflow and help kick start the healing of the muscle micro tears (don't worry thats not as bad as it sounds)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 PaulPh

Hi

Enjoying reading the 2014 DCM tread so far!! Plenty of information and good honest straight to the point advice.

In the last few weeks I've been feeling a few dull pains in the right knee especially on the longer runs and have been down to see the local Physio. The problem seem to be to the knee patella not tracking as it should due to weak glutes and poor flexibility in the hip area.. otherwise the knee seems fine. To be honest I've neglected to work on flexibility and core strengthening for a couple of years as everything seemed fine before.
    This has caused me to reduce my running to 10km only this week but have been able to Cycle instead and do strengthening exercises with little pain.

I'm hoping to continue to keep the running miles low until i feel on top of this problem... I'm I fooling myself to think i can pick the training up a couple of weeks into the plan. I feel i'm making progress with the physio. What do people think?? Lets have it straight and honest!!!

Thanks Paul

Advertisement