Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

First injury today... Wasn't even a long run!!! I was wondering why people were staring at me as i approached them!!

308br7d.jpg

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/520679419

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

First injury today... Wasn't even a long run!!! I was wondering why people were staring at me as i approached them!!

308br7d.jpg

Jaysus neil that's a very disturbing image to wake up to :(
    Hope it heals up soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

308br7d.jpg

Oh there are memories there lol

Similar top from the samsung night run. Did the race series half and finished with both nipples looking like that. Again didn't realise until the end how bad it was. :D

Lessons learned. Have never forgotten to lube up on a long run since !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Had a good week this week, just over 20 miles done, over 5 days. It was a bit of a step up from last weeks mileage so I'm going to stay around 20 miles for this week coming and then hopefully I'll be ready to start the plan Monday week. Legs are a bit tired, and I don't like the heat, but not overwhelmed, yet, so onwards and upwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Good week too for meself, did 18 miles total from last sat to fri, and yesterday an lsr of 9.5miles at 8mins30 p/m. Tis all good today, no mad stiffness, resting till 2moro.......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What's your target for the marathon jsme? Your slow run pace should be 60-90 secs slower than your marathon pace. So if you are aiming for 4 hours, LSR pace should be around 10 mins per mile.

Oh there are memories there lol

Similar top from the samsung night run. Did the race series half and finished with both nipples looking like that. Again didn't realise until the end how bad it was. :D

Lessons learned. Have never forgotten to lube up on a long run since !!

I did however not learn the lesson of making sure cash was in running belt and just had a very uncomfortable last 3 miles of a 10 mile LSR

Posting this whilst staggering home !

Some good tips in this thread about running in the warmer weather folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Long run 70mins, run as 30mins E pace, 2x10mins @ T pace with 5min E pace in between, finish with 15mins E pace

Had this to do today couldn't get out early as had a big fathers day fry up, first part went went well second the heat got to me.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/521316317

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Long run 70mins, run as 30mins E pace, 2x10mins @ T pace with 5min E pace in between, finish with 15mins E pace

Had this to do today couldn't get out early as had a big fathers day fry up, first part went went well second the heat got to me.

Nice one! I used to do that session last year running the 2 x 10 mins at 10k pace. Tough enough in the heat today I'd imagine.
    Well done.

• Advertisement

As I have started the clubs plan I don't know should I still go for Clontarf Half or just scrap it longest run on the 8 week block is 110 mins?

Darren 83 wrote: »
    As I have started the clubs plan I don't know should I still go for Clontarf Half or just scrap it longest run on the 8 week block is 110 mins?

How much do you want to do it? If you've your heart set on it sure why not do it? Just do it instead of that week's lsr of course and taper before it and don't do too much for a few days after it. It will impinge on the club's training plan the days before and after it so consider that too.
    If you're not that bothered then maybe just stick to the plan.
    Do you do those longer runs (like today) with club members or on your own? Just interested.. nosey;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Looking for advise on my next 3 weeks training. I have decided to do the BAA Intermediate 16 Week Program. So by my reckoning that starts on July 7th. In the meantime I have 2 races, the Irish runner 5 mile on June 28th and the Clontarf half the following Sat.

For more background I will include my last 2 weeks training & pace.

Last week
    Monday Rest
    Tuesday 15k (9.32 mi) @ 9:00 min/mi
    Wednesday 15k (9.32 mi) @ 9:15 min/mi
    Thursday 15k (9.32 mi) @ 8:47 min/mi
    Friday 19k Hills Elevation Gain: 555 ft (11.80 mi) @ 9:42 min/mi
    Saturday Rest
    Sunday 5k (3.11 mi) @ 7:51 min/mi

Week Total = 69KM (43M)

This week

Monday 11.5k (7.15 mi) @ 9:08 min/mi
    Tuesday 10.5k (6.52 mi) @ 9:06 min/mi
    Wednesday 10.5k (6.52 mi) @ 8:57 min/mi
    Thursday 10.5k (6.52 mi) @ 8:44 min/mi
    Friday Gym session
    Saturday 30k (18.64 mi) @ 9:50 min/mi
    Sunday 5k (3.11 mi) Recovery run @ 10:34 min/mi

Week Total = 78KM (48M)

Week 1

Monday
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday
    Friday
    Saturday
    Sunday

Week 2

Monday
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday
    Friday
    Saturday 5 Mile Race
    Sunday

Week 3

Monday
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday
    Friday
    Saturday Clontarf Half.
    Sunday

First week of BAA Plan.
    Monday Distance - 3 to 5 miles
    Tuesday Tempo - 6 to 8, with 1 x 5,000m in the middle at marathon pace
    Wednesday Distance - 3 to 6 miles
    Thursday Tempo - 6 to 8 with 3 x 1,000m in the middle at marathon pace, 4 minutes recovery.
    Friday Distance - 3 to 6 miles
    Saturday Distance - 2 to 5 miles
    Sunday MLR - 10 to 12 miles, easy pace

Dub13 wrote: »
    Looking for advise on my next 3 weeks training. I have decided to do the BAA Intermediate 16 Week Program. So by my reckoning that starts on July 7th. In the meantime I have 2 races, the Irish runner 5 mile on June 28th and the Clontarf half the following Sat.

hey Dub13.
    As AuldManKing is the BAA expert I'll let him answer this one for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Another race yesterday, Milltown 10k "Run for Ollie". Really well organised and stewarded. I managed to pace myself a bit better than previously and came home in 64:31 which is a PB for a race. (I did 61:29 in a training run two years ago but didn't get around to racing 10k at the time).

I'm planning to do the Galway Simon 10 miler next Sunday and the Bray film trail run the following weekend. After that I'll be only running races where the plan calls for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Greetings from a hot & sunny France! Really weird thing happened to me, packed the car up yesterday, all fine and dandy. Drove to Rosslare and couldn't get out of the car with a sore ankle. Now, it's black & blue, swollen and really sore ligaments.

No recollection of any injury, trauma or whatever, but the injury is there. Taking a week off and will recuperate by the pool. I'll send yiz a postcard!

Greetings from a hot & sunny France! Really weird thing happened to me, packed the car up yesterday, all fine and dandy. Drove to Rosslare and couldn't get out of the car with a sore ankle. Now, it's black & blue, swollen and really sore ligaments.

No recollection of any injury, trauma or whatever, but the injury is there. Taking a week off and will recuperate by the pool. I'll send yiz a postcard!

Ouchies. That sounds bad !
    Mind yourself mate.

Jammy bastard:cool: Sorry to hear about the ankle though. That's a bit odd! Maybe it's your legs' way of protesting that they want a holiday too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Ososlo wrote: »
    Jammy bastard:cool: Sorry to hear about the ankle though. That's a bit odd! Maybe it's your legs' way of protesting that they want a holiday too:D

Possibly, I'm not hugely pushed on it, it'll get better & there's loads of time to go to the big one. Now, where's my wine...

Ososlo wrote: »
    How much do you want to do it? If you've your heart set on it sure why not do it? Just do it instead of that week's lsr of course and taper before it and don't do too much for a few days after it. It will impinge on the club's training plan the days before and after it so consider that too.
    If you're not that bothered then maybe just stick to the plan.
    Do you do those longer runs (like today) with club members or on your own? Just interested.. nosey;)

I'd like to do it but Fingal is two weeks away after it and want to improve my 10k time. Might have an effect on Fingal if I did it.

I did that run on my own today, marathon groups are a bit scattered at the moment so hoping to do these sessions with the group.

The club is having a 5k race on Friday so hopping to get sub 22 on it

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    What's your target for the marathon jsme? Your slow run pace should be 60-90 secs slower than your marathon pace. So if you are aiming for 4 hours, LSR pace should be around 10 mins per mile.

I've not been scientific enough about it yet Adrian and thats been honest, I didnt know that. Without a good watch I can only use the mobile as a stopwatch for my total time, and then divide back when I know the total distance.

Theres no way I could have done over 9mls for the first time ever without takin it handy, so until I have the proper equipment, handy is gonna have to do. If that points at hittin a better target then I'll wish for that but presumption is the mother of all f**ckups as they say.

How are other people measuring their times/distances??

JMSE wrote: »
    I've not been scientific enough about it yet Adrian and thats been honest, I didnt know that. Without a good watch I can only use the mobile as a stopwatch for my total time, and then divide back when I know the total distance.

Theres no way I could have done over 9mls for the first time ever without takin it handy, so until I have the proper equipment, handy is gonna have to do. If that points at hittin a better target then I'll wish for that but presumption is the mother of all f**ckups as they say.

Hi JMSE
    I guess most people seem to have gps watches to measure times and distances. Some probably use the same method as yourself.
    You don't have to be super accurate with measuring pace. You can run by feel just as effectively. You should basically be running at a 'conversational' pace - so you should feel you could chat easily enough if you were training with a friend. If you run on your own then test yourself every now and again by singing a song or just saying a poem or something to yourself (yes people will think you're mad chatting away to yourself but apparently all runners are mad anyway so you'll get away with it ;))
    Have a read of post 2 on the thread again about pacing.
    You don't have to have a gps watch. Just keep it very comfortable for the long runs. What plan are you/will you be following?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

If I can just add to what Osofast said, if you have a smartphone, there's a few apps that will measure time, distance, average pace etc.

I have a GPS watch now but before that I tried out 3 or 4 of those apps and I found Endomondo to be the best one personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Dub13 wrote: »

For more background I will include my last 2 weeks training & pace.

Last week
    Monday Rest
    Tuesday 15k (9.32 mi) @ 9:00 min/mi
    Wednesday 15k (9.32 mi) @ 9:15 min/mi
    Thursday 15k (9.32 mi) @ 8:47 min/mi
    Friday 19k Hills Elevation Gain: 555 ft (11.80 mi) @ 9:42 min/mi
    Saturday Rest
    Sunday 5k (3.11 mi) @ 7:51 min/mi

Week Total = 69KM (43M)

This week

Monday 11.5k (7.15 mi) @ 9:08 min/mi
    Tuesday 10.5k (6.52 mi) @ 9:06 min/mi
    Wednesday 10.5k (6.52 mi) @ 8:57 min/mi
    Thursday 10.5k (6.52 mi) @ 8:44 min/mi
    Friday Gym session
    Saturday 30k (18.64 mi) @ 9:50 min/mi
    Sunday 5k (3.11 mi) Recovery run @ 10:34 min/mi

Week Total = 78KM (48M)

Week 1

Monday
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday
    Friday
    Saturday
    Sunday

Week 2

Monday
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday
    Friday
    Saturday 5 Mile Race
    Sunday

Week 3

Monday
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday
    Friday
    Saturday Clontarf Half.
    Sunday

First week of BAA Plan.
    Monday Distance - 3 to 5 miles
    Tuesday Tempo - 6 to 8, with 1 x 5,000m in the middle at marathon pace
    Wednesday Distance - 3 to 6 miles
    Thursday Tempo - 6 to 8 with 3 x 1,000m in the middle at marathon pace, 4 minutes recovery.
    Friday Distance - 3 to 6 miles
    Saturday Distance - 2 to 5 miles
    Sunday MLR - 10 to 12 miles, easy pace

Ahh, the old race vrs training debate.

Racing is a great fitness booster, and mostly, racing will give you more benefit than training. Mostly.
    For the week of the 5 mile race, I'd start the BAA training and run the midweek session at a slower pace.
    I'd then replace the long run with the 5 mile race.
    For the week of the clontarf half, it's a question of priorities.
    Is your training more important than the race? What is your main thing? Keep your main thing, the main thing (can't believe I said that :) )

The HM race will give u a huge, huge fitness boost, don't under estimate the benefit you get from it. It will trump all all that week's training.

The hard part is the following week. You'll need the full week to recover from the HM, do be careful about the sessions you do. Feel free to do them slightly slower as well. Recovery is key the week after a HM.

My main advice is particularly about the HM as it has the potential to mess up 2 weeks training.
    The benefit u get from racing the HM hard outweighs the training plan. Do the race, taper a few days beforehand. Recover well after it, don't worry about the BAA Training plan too much.
    If you can do the Tues session on the Monday before the HM it would help.

If you want to propose something for that block of weeks, I can offer advice.

not sure ososlo, having looked at the halhigdon one here and at david carries beginners and advanced plans in the Irish Runner mag, I've just been vaguely goin along with whats expected for the midweek work for this stage i.e. 3 to 4 mile runs 3 days in a row (and trying to top those figures), and then up the mileage on a Saturday with a long run. I've been able to throw a cycle in as well for a 5th day, but really thats it. Am aware that the programs are about to start so better do my research......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

I'm using Endomondo on my phone as it gives nice stats and feedback to look back on. It can also give you an audible readout of your pace every km or mile, which is great for a training run. I tried all the apps and it's the one I found best.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a watch though, because I have a habit of going off too fast in races and if you don't know your pace until you run a whole km it's not ideal. Also it's fiddly to unlock the phone, start the app and stash the phone in my pocket/armband, so I do this a few minutes before the start, and then it includes this extra few minutes in the pace for the first km, which means I don't know my actual pace until the second km...

I suppose if I knew my pace without a gadget that wouldn't be a problem. Still another gadget may be the solution. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

Did 2 * 5 mile lunchtime runs in during the week (I know I should have done 3 but it didn't work out)
    Did a 13 mile LSR then on Saturday - pacing was better at between 10:30 - 11 min per mile.

Gone & injured the ball of my foot again though - after reading up on it I think it's a metatarsal injury.
    Gonna have to take next week off I reckon. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

Another week done and dusted

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/521803723
    Plan was to do 14km but I felt sick at 11 and decided to stop.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/521803718
    Really enjoyed this one. Comfortable pace and enjoyed run

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/521803713
    It was really hot yesterday. Comfortable again but stopped to talk to a friend. Forgot to start up watch again when I continued. :P Reckon its closer to 19!!

I have been testing my runs pace wise and I have decided that come the Marathon the plan will be to run 5 minute km.

Will 3 runs a week be enough to prepare me?

My plan is 2 x 14 km runs and 1 run gradually increasing to 30km

Some good times and distances covered again guys. Keep up the good work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

frash wrote: »
    Did 2 * 5 mile lunchtime runs in during the week (I know I should have done 3 but it didn't work out)
    Did a 13 mile LSR then on Saturday - pacing was better at between 10:30 - 11 min per mile.

Gone & injured the ball of my foot again though - after reading up on it I think it's a metatarsal injury.
    Gonna have to take next week off I reckon. :(

Don't take Dr. Google as gospel - it'll be worth a few quid to get a physio or sports therapist to look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

Don't take Dr. Google as gospel - it'll be worth a few quid to get a physio or sports therapist to look at it.

Took a few days off a couple of weeks ago & that improved it but last week it flared up again. Don't think I gave it enough time.

Will take the week out & see how it is then before going to see someone.

Advertisement