Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

GOOSEPAUL wrote: »
    Another week done and dusted

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/521803723
    Plan was to do 14km but I felt sick at 11 and decided to stop.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/521803718
    Really enjoyed this one. Comfortable pace and enjoyed run

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/521803713
    It was really hot yesterday. Comfortable again but stopped to talk to a friend. Forgot to start up watch again when I continued. :P Reckon its closer to 19!!

I have been testing my runs pace wise and I have decided that come the Marathon the plan will be to run 5 minute km.

Will 3 runs a week be enough to prepare me?

My plan is 2 x 14 km runs and 1 run gradually increasing to 30km

Some good times and distances covered again guys. Keep up the good work

Most plan have at least 5 days if you look around at them. Personally I feel 3 days running is very little for marathon training. I think it'd be better to pad the week out a bit and if you can add a few days of shorter runs between the longer ones, it'll serve you better. Maybe if you're doing other sports a few days a week you might get away with it. Even the basic Hal Higeon Novice plan has 5 days training a week. You want your legs to get used to doing shorter runs when they're fatigued from the previous day's training but doing 2 x 14 runs on consecutive days might be a bit too much and lead to injury.
    Is there any way you can add in 2 short runs of no more than 3-4 miles on the other days and cut back a bit on one of the 14km runs?
    You might be better off following an actual plan.
    Also, you need to slow down your runs unless you're doing them as specific tempo runs. You did 2 runs there 4:51 and 5 min/km and if you think your marathon pace will be 5min/km (hard to determine this so early on in the year to be honest), you need to run these a lot slower. Normal advice here is to run them 45-90 seconds(per mile) slower than goal pace. Have a read of Post 2 on this thread about paces for different runs and explanations about why you need to run most of your runs slowly. You probably felt a bit sick on that first run because you were running too fast. Slow it down a lot more and you'll enjoy it a lot more. Anything you're not sure about just ask and one of us should be able to help you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Ahh, the old race vrs training debate.

Racing is a great fitness booster, and mostly, racing will give you more benefit than training. Mostly.
    For the week of the 5 mile race, I'd start the BAA training and run the midweek session at a slower pace.
    I'd then replace the long run with the 5 mile race.
    For the week of the clontarf half, it's a question of priorities.
    Is your training more important than the race? What is your main thing? Keep your main thing, the main thing (can't believe I said that :) )

The HM race will give u a huge, huge fitness boost, don't under estimate the benefit you get from it. It will trump all all that week's training.

The hard part is the following week. You'll need the full week to recover from the HM, do be careful about the sessions you do. Feel free to do them slightly slower as well. Recovery is key the week after a HM.

My main advice is particularly about the HM as it has the potential to mess up 2 weeks training.
    The benefit u get from racing the HM hard outweighs the training plan. Do the race, taper a few days beforehand. Recover well after it, don't worry about the BAA Training plan too much.
    If you can do the Tues session on the Monday before the HM it would help.

If you want to propose something for that block of weeks, I can offer advice.

Cheers, some great advice there. I think the fact that the half is right at the start of the plan means its just about workable to race it. I would be a little bit ahead of the first week of this plan so even with having a handy week after Clontarf should not have to much difficulty in getting back on plan.

I will propose something for the 2/3 weeks later once I get advice on a maybe silly question below.

Looking for advice on moving my LSR this week, I think I know the answer this is a silly idea but will ask anyway. I have a mad hectic weekend coming up, will have very little time on Sat for a run. I also maybe having a few drinks Sat night as the kids are away and the wife is already planning something, so not looking forward to doing my LSR on Sun.

Now the question, I happen to be off work on Wen and its meant to be a lovely day. Would it be madness to move my LSR to Wen...? My last one was Sat (30k), it will not be as long as that this week anyway.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Now the question, I happen to be off work on Wen and its meant to be a lovely day. Would it be madness to move my LSR to Wen...? My last one was Sat (30k), it will not be as long as that this week anyway.

No I don't think it's complete madness. I wouldn't say do it very often but once as an exception would be ok in my opinion. As long as you feel fully recovered from Saturday. Don't force it if you're not. Run very easy tomorrow if at all and I presume you were running very easy Sunday (recovery effort) and today;)
    Maybe keep the pace a tad slower even under the circumstances. I would have done similar last year (once or twice only in 4 months) and it was fine but we're all different of course. If you're feeling extra tired during the run then cut it short. If anyone else thinks it is complete madness feel free to put me straight:)

If you want to propose something for that block of weeks, I can offer advice.

Here is something I whipped up. As I said before I have never followed a plan so not very experienced with this so open to all suggestions.

Week 1 June 16th

Monday 12k Done.
    Tuesday 5k Slow
    Wednesday LSR Maybe 20k
    Thursday 5k recovery
    Friday 10k Slow
    Saturday Rest.
    Sunday Rest or maybe 5k slow.

Week 2 June 23th

Monday Distance - 3 to 5 miles
    Tuesday Tempo - 6 to 8, with 1 x 5,000m in the middle at marathon pace
    Wednesday Distance - 3 to 6 miles
    Thursday Tempo - 6 to 8 with 3 x 1,000m in the middle at marathon pace, 4 minutes recovery.
    Friday Distance - 3 to 6 miles
    Saturday 5 Mile Race
    Sunday 2 to 5 miles (recovery)

Week 3 June 30th

Monday 7 to 9 total. 3 x (800m-600m-600m) at 5K pace, 90 seconds recovery, 4 minutes between sets.
    Tuesday 3 m run + strength
    Wednesday 3 m run + strength
    Thursday Gym Work
    Friday Gym Work
    Saturday Clontarf Half.
    Sunday 3 m recovery or rest.

Week 4 July 7th

Monday Rest
    Tuesday 3 to 5 miles
    Wednesday 3 to 6 miles
    Thursday Tempo - 6 to 8 with 3 x 1,000m in the middle at marathon pace, 4 minutes recovery.
    Saturday Distance - 2 to 5 miles
    Sunday MLR - 10 to 12 miles, easy pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Ososlo wrote: »
    Personally I feel 3 days running is very little for marathon training

This is what I think too - But it hurts me so to see someone else say it.

At the moment, with my gammy feet, it's taking me feckin ages to recover from my LSRs. Did 13.1 miles on Saturday....felt OK after it. Leg gradually got painful throughout the day. Was more painful on Sunday - I dared not even consider a recovery run. A good bit better today (going overboard on the AIS) but still thinking I shouldn't run on it. Hoping to get out for a few miles tomorrow morning. But when it's taking me 3 (or possibly more) days to recover from an LSR, I'm really at nothing....not a hope of getting 5 days running in.

I'm such a depressing crock!! :o

• Advertisement

Laois_Man wrote: »

At the moment, with my gammy feet, it's taking me feckin ages to recover from my LSRs. Did 13.1 miles on Saturday....felt OK after it. Leg gradually got painful throughout the day. Was more painful on Sunday - I dared not even consider a recovery run. A good bit better today (going overboard on the AIS) but still thinking I shouldn't run on it. Hoping to get out for a few miles tomorrow morning. But when it's taking me 3 (or possibly more) days to recover from an LSR, I'm really at nothing....not a hope of getting 5 days running in.

Ah no. Really sorry to hear that. It's the flat-foot problem?
    Did you try seeing someone different (physio etc) to seek another opinion? So it's the feet affecting the legs?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jelly Legs

Hi all,

Been following the thread since it started and finally taking the plunge by posting.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

5k - 27:05 (Remembrance Run, November 2013)
    10k - 54:34 (Fields of Athenry, December 2013)
    Half Marathon - 2:05:07 (Rock N Roll, August 2013)

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)

No.

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Currently about 30 miles a week over four days.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

I would be happy to finish around 4:30. If I could get closer to 4:15 or 4:20 that would be amazing but the main thing is I want to enjoy it.

How many days a week can you train?

Five. Will follow the Boards plan but am not sure if I should try to keep up my mileage at my current level for the first couple of weeks or whether I should take advantage of some easier weeks and take it as an opportunity to add in some strength training (which is woefully lacking at the moment).

Why are you running this marathon?

Started running in May 2012 using C25K. Back then I wouldn't have dreamed that I would be capable of running a marathon. I went out to watch some of DCM 2012 and I thought it was amazing. I knew it was something I wanted to do and said to myself that that would be in 2014 so here I am :)

Jelly Legs wrote: »
    How many days a week can you train?

Five. Will follow the Boards plan but am not sure if I should try to keep up my mileage at my current level for the first couple of weeks or whether I should take advantage of some easier weeks and take it as an opportunity to add in some strength training (which is woefully lacking at the moment).

hey there and welcome aboard.
    If I was you I would keep my current level of mileage. The more miles in the legs the better come October so I don't see any reason to decrease mileage if you're currently handling what you're doing well. In saying that, if you feel the need for a step-back week, by all means take one but build it back up to where you were.
    Best of luck. Sounds like you have a good committed attitude there and a nice base behind you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Been to the physio again, went to a sort of running clinic where they video you on a threadmill and then slow it right down and try and identify what is causing the issues and if it is to do with your running style. In my case he recommends I make some changes to how I run, so a lot of work to do before I can really get stuck into a marathon plan.

Hopefully I will end up being a much better runner at the end of it.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Been to the physio again, went to a sort of running clinic where they video you on a threadmill and then slow it right down and try and identify what is causing the issues and if it is to do with your running style. In my case he recommends I make some changes to how I run, so a lot of work to do before I can really get stuck into a marathon plan.

Hopefully I will end up being a much better runner at the end of it.

How's the shin/calf at the moment? Have you been able to run since the Parkrun? Does the physio think you'll be ok for DCM training?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

How's the shin/calf at the moment? Have you been able to run since the Parkrun? Does the physio think you'll be ok for DCM training?

Yeah it's all fine at the moment. Yeah I think I'll be fine but he still wants me to run on alternate days for the moment rather than every day.

I'm starting to question whether I'll be ready to jump into the marathon program on time, but I guess time will tell there. I'm going to just follow his instructions for now and complement the running with some cycling (I'm cycling in and out of work now). Just need to be careful I don't increase the mileage too rapidly at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Here is something I whipped up. As I said before I have never followed a plan so not very experienced with this so open to all suggestions.

Week 1 June 16th

Monday 12k Done.
    Tuesday 5k Slow
    Wednesday LSR Maybe 20k
    Thursday 5k recovery
    Friday 10k Slow
    Saturday Rest.
    Sunday Rest or maybe 5k slow.

Week 2 June 23th

Monday Distance - 3 to 5 miles
    Tuesday Tempo - 6 to 8, with 1 x 5,000m in the middle at marathon pace
    Wednesday Distance - 3 to 6 miles
    Thursday Tempo - 6 to 8 with 3 x 1,000m in the middle at marathon pace, 4 minutes recovery. (Dont do this session - The 5m race should replace this session - take a rest day to prepare for the race)
    Saturday 5 Mile Race (This now becomes your 2nd sesion of the week - providing you race it)
    Sunday 2 to 5 miles (recovery)

Week 3 June 30th

Monday 7 to 9 total. 3 x (800m-600m-600m) at 5K pace, 90 seconds recovery, 4 minutes between sets.
    Tuesday 3 m run + strength
    Wednesday 3 m run + strength
    Thursday Gym Work
    Friday Gym Work (Lay off 2 days of gym work before a HM - I'd not do any gym the week of a HM - especially with 'strength' on Tues & Wed)
    Saturday Clontarf Half.
    Sunday 3 m recovery or rest.

Week 4 July 7th

Monday Rest
    Tuesday 3 to 5 miles
    Wednesday 3 to 6 miles
    Saturday Distance - 2 to 5 miles
    Sunday MLR - 10 to 12 miles, easy pace

See my comments in bold above.

Let the 5m race be your 2nd session of the week - don't try to fit in the other session and do a race - If you ever have a race at the weekend, drop one of your sessions.

Be careful with too much strength & gym work on the week of the HM.
    These can leave you very fatigued - its a tough HM, especially on the sand.

TRR used to always tell me that these races are 'monster sessions' and we should treat then like that, both in the week leading up to the race and in the week after the race.

Dont worry at this stage about missing a couple of sessions, especially when you'll be getting in 2 good races.
    The 5m race will test your vo2 capability - it'll provide a better workout than any speed session.
    The HM race is one long tempo run and will help you gain strength and aerobic capability.

For the Thursday session after the HM - if your legs are tired, try doing the 3x1km MP session at a slower pace - you'll still get benefit running on tired legs.
    If you feel ok, then do the session as normal.

BTW - well done on doing the gym work, its something I've just started.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Laois_Man wrote: »

It is certainly possible to run a marathon on the back of 3 quality days of running in training. It's not ideal and you won't have an enjoyable last 6 miles but it's definitely doable.

Besides, very few runners have an enjoyable last few miles in a marathon!!

Gavlor wrote: »
    It is certainly possible to run a marathon on the back of 3 quality days of running in training. It's not ideal and you won't have an enjoyable last 6 miles but it's definitely doable.

Besides, [/B]very few runners have an enjoyable last few miles in a marathon[/I][/B]!!

that's probably because they haven't trained properly:P No reason why anyone can't enjoy the full 26 in my opinion. If you've trained properly and run a correctly paced race then the full distance is there to enjoy! Especially for your first where you're not really chasing a specific time.

See my comments in bold above.

Let the 5m race be your 2nd session of the week - don't try to fit in the other session and do a race - If you ever have a race at the weekend, drop one of your sessions.

Be careful with too much strength & gym work on the week of the HM.
    These can leave you very fatigued - its a tough HM, especially on the sand.

TRR used to always tell me that these races are 'monster sessions' and we should treat then like that, both in the week leading up to the race and in the week after the race.

Dont worry at this stage about missing a couple of sessions, especially when you'll be getting in 2 good races.
    The 5m race will test your vo2 capability - it'll provide a better workout than any speed session.
    The HM race is one long tempo run and will help you gain strength and aerobic capability.

For the Thursday session after the HM - if your legs are tired, try doing the 3x1km MP session at a slower pace - you'll still get benefit running on tired legs.
    If you feel ok, then do the session as normal.

BTW - well done on doing the gym work, its something I've just started.

Best of luck.

Thanks again, I don't know were I would be without this thread most likely well well over trained. Just one question on the 2 days before the Half, good points on the no gym work I may also drop the other bits of gym work that week. Do you recommend my doing anything on the Thursday & Friday before the half or resting completely..? We have a small gym in work with a bike, cross trainer punch bag etc..?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

Hi Everyone.

Have been following this thread for a couple of weeks, and have been reading these forums on and off for a couple of years and got lots of helpful information. so I felt like i should get involved and contribute to the discussion.

I started running about 2 years ago, and have been at it in fits and starts ever since. Running would have fallen by the wayside when work or home life got a little hectic, but I am committed to training for DCM and am planning to make it a priority for the rest of the year.

Details of running history is below.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    MSB 5K March 2014 - 22.07 (possibly short course – have a 22:27 parkrun as my next best)
    Terenure 5 mile May 2014 - 37.25
    Samsung Night Run 10K Apr 2014– 47.06
    Frank Duffy 10 Mile 2013 – 1:20.17
    Waterford Half Marathon 2012 – 1:46:xx

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do) No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Currently run 3-4 days a week, without any real structure – try to run with a friend when I can. Would typically run as far and as fast as I felt like running on a given day and have really been using running as a means of relaxing and switching off.
    I have run maybe 10-12 races over the last two years and training would have consisted gradually increasing mileage to make sure I could cover the distance a week or two ahead of the race.

In recent weeks I have been trying to increase the length of my weekend runs, longest run to date is 13 miles.

I’ve committed to playing tag rugby once a week for the next 2 months, so depending on the intensity of the games in any given week, may look to swap this out for any speed work or pace runs

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    I think I can break 4 hours based on my running history, If the training progresses well and the longer distance agrees with me maybe I can take 10-15 minutes off that
    How many days a week can you train? 4-5

Why are you running this marathon?
    Since running has become my main recreation I have found I enjoyed the longer events and runs more than the short quick events. I have also heard about what a great event DCM is and want to experience it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

that's probably because they haven't trained properly:P No reason why anyone can't enjoy the full 26 in my opinion. If you've trained properly and run a correctly paced race then the full distance is there to enjoy! Especially for your first where you're not really chasing a specific time.

Surely not being able to commit 100% to a training plan is reason enough as to why someone may not enjoy the full 26 (lets not forget the extra .5!!)

My point was that Laois man shouldn't throw in the towel just because he can currently only manage 3-4 days per week

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

very few runners have an enjoyable last few miles in a marathon!!

put me down for that in even my 5k :D

On a different issue, I've been tryin to get a few of my runs done on my breaks or evenings away from home, down country boreens after a quick look at the map - generally a white knuckle ride as every second house has a dog with an open gate. Can someone invent an app that paralyses a dog from 20 feet and flings him back over the hedge??? :pac:

Surely not being able to commit 100% to a training plan is reason enough as to why someone may not enjoy the full 26 (lets not forget the extra .5!!)

My point was that Laois man shouldn't throw in the towel just because he can currently only manage 3-4 days per week

It sounds like he's having a lot of pain/discomfort between runs though and that would worry me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Thanks again, I don't know were I would be without this thread most likely well well over trained. Just one question on the 2 days before the Half, good points on the no gym work I may also drop the other bits of gym work that week. Do you recommend my doing anything on the Thursday & Friday before the half or resting completely..? We have a small gym in work with a bike, cross trainer punch bag etc..?

My typical routine on race week is to rest 2 days before the race and do 4 miles with some strides the day before.
    The gym work would be ok before the 5 miler, but not before the HM.

A bit on the bike would not hurt, but I wouldn't use the punch bag etc.
    With the exception of some strides, nothing you do in the 2-3 days before a race will benefit you for the race itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Just a quick question if anyone's around. I ran at the club tonight, nothing hectic cos it was very warm. Normally I rest tomorrow but because Thursdays hectic this week, was thinking of doing 5 mile in the morning, 7am ish. Question is, how long do you leave btw runs or does it matter. I'll have about a 12 hour gap but have run the last 3 days (I don't normally), thx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

Well done all! Flicking thru the thread; most seem to be going well! :-)

Had a mixed week myself, was going well but then my achilles started to hurt so had to hop on the bike for the 2nd half of the week.

Tueaday: 20.1km @ 5.20/km
    Wednesday: 6km Easy
    Thursday: Tag Rugby
    Friday: 8km Easy
    Saturday; 28km (trying to keep heart rate fairly high) on bike; was out for about an hour and a quarter
    Sunday: 15km relaxed commuting on the bike.
    Monday: 45km on the bike. (This was equivalent of my LSR this week, was out for 2 hours with a heart rate average of 136BPM)
    Tuesday: 5km easy - no achilles pain. wahoo!!

Hopefully be fully back on track this week now. This weather is great training weather; as long as you have water with ya!

AK333 wrote: »
    Just a quick question if anyone's around. I ran at the club tonight, nothing hectic cos it was very warm. Normally I rest tomorrow but because Thursdays hectic this week, was thinking of doing 5 mile in the morning, 7am ish. Question is, how long do you leave btw runs or does it matter. I'll have about a 12 hour gap but have run the last 3 days (I don't normally), thx

Sorry we didn't get to you in time! Did you do it? I'd say you'd have been fine. Nice and cool at 7 anyway!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Enjoyed 4/5ths of my lunchtime run. Did 4 miles at a nice easy pace paying due heed to the heat accompanied by a young buck from work who decided to come running with me. He also then decided at the start of mile 5 that we had ran way too slow for the last 4 miles and challenged me to a final mile duel... I couldn't really refuse! These young feckers and their need for speed...

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Enjoyed 4/5ths of my lunchtime run. Did 4 miles at a nice easy pace paying due heed to the heat accompanied by a young buck from work who decided to come running with me. He also then decided at the start of mile 5 that we had ran way too slow for the last 4 miles and challenged me to a final mile duel... I couldn't really refuse! These young feckers and their need for speed...

Yeah but the important questions is did you win?:D

Also a query, does anyone know much about heart rate while training it racing? Only been monitoring it for a month or so. I got my zones from a couple of different websites, including strava. I have two queries... One is when a range is given, say 135 to 153bpm, what is the optimal point in that range you should aim for? Is it mid point? Or if it's an easy run is the lower in the range you can achieve the best?

Lastly, when doing 10miles or a half marathon, which zone should you be operating in? Tempo or threshold?

Yeah but the important questions is did you win?:D

Not quite!! Gallant defeat considering the 17 year age gap... No pride lost!

Also a query, does anyone know much about heart rate while training it racing? Only been monitoring it for a month or so. I got my zones from a couple of different websites, including strava. I have two queries... One is when a range is given, say 135 to 153bpm, what is the optimal point in that range you should aim for? Is it mid point? Or if it's an easy run is the lower in the range you can achieve the best?

Lastly, when doing 10miles or a half marathon, which zone should you be operating in? Tempo or threshold?

I trained by heart rate for DCM last year. In my opinion you're at nothing with heart rate zones/training unless you're very sure you have an accurate max heart rate to start with. Have you got an accurate max reading? Usually one would get it from a fitness test or near the end of a short race when you're busting a gut.
    A range of 135 to 153 is a huge difference. The lowest could be your very easy pace but the highest would be putting a lot more effort in than that. It all really depends on the individual.
    I don't think most would advise racing by heart rate.

I trained by heart rate for DCM last year. In my opinion you're at nothing with heart rate zones/training unless you're very sure you have an accurate max heart rate to start with. Have you got an accurate max reading? Usually one would get it from a fitness test or near the end of a short race when you're busting a gut.
    A range of 135 to 153 is a huge difference. The lowest could be your very easy pace but the highest would be putting a lot more effort in than that. It all really depends on the individual.
    I don't think most would advise racing by heart rate.

Fair points, I dont have an accurate max HR (although I guess my reading from about an hour ago will be close enough!). I really just spent an hour or two feeding in various data into different calculators which gave me a max HR of 190, which was the result I got back most often. From this strava has given me a range of 123 to 153 for moderate training, but I seem to end up around 148 -150 for many of my runs so I'm presuming this is not a good thing.

Sorry if I insinuated i was racing by heart rate, I dont, very much race by pace. But what I did was look back on it after and was surprised to see a significant portion of it in the threshold zone, rather than tempo. I'm thinking it cant be good for you to be operating at threshold for that long.

In saying all that, I take on board what you have said that I haven't had a max HR reading done accurately, and that probably means I should really only use it for guidance purposes and not get too caught up in it.

• Advertisement

Fair points, I dont have an accurate max HR (although I guess my reading from about an hour ago will be close enough!). I really just spent an hour or two feeding in various data into different calculators which gave me a max HR of 190, which was the result I got back most often. From this strava has given me a range of 123 to 153 for moderate training, but I seem to end up around 148 -150 for many of my runs so I'm presuming this is not a good thing.

Sorry if I insinuated i was racing by heart rate, I dont, very much race by pace. But what I did was look back on it after and was surprised to see a significant portion of it in the threshold zone, rather than tempo. I'm thinking it cant be good for you to be operating at threshold for that long.

In saying all that, I take on board what you have said that I haven't had a max HR reading done accurately, and that probably means I should really only use it for guidance purposes and not get too caught up in it.

Yes those calculators don't mean a lot really. They usually go by age and stuff which isn't accurate as max heart rates can vary so much from person to person. I do believe that getting an accurate max and working to zones based on that is a really useful thing to do as it means your working in your 'true' easy zone for the easy stuff which makes up so much of marathon training, especially the long run. It does train your body to become really good at running easy and being very familiar with what should feel 'easy'. If you're running in your correct 'easy zone' you're less likely to get injured and can run more miles.
    But you have to base the whole thing on a true 'real' max. And it takes a bit of work to get a real max. I had to do 2 fitness tests and wear the hrm for a race to get mine so that I could be sure it was correct before working out zones. I was also guided in the whole process which made it a lot easier.

50 bpm or sub 75% of max heart rate is usually the zone one would run 'easy' or 'recovery' or 'lsrs' in. For me, my max was 186 so I did most of my running sub 136 which was very easy comfortable running for me. But you might have a max of 10bpm more or less than me so my zones would mean nothing for you.
    Again, you can't really say you're running in 'tempo' or 'threshold' zones if you don't know what max you're working off.

ps I hope you beat him next time:D

Advertisement