Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Public service announcement - LM sore leg update

Miles done: 5

Leg pain: Present

Other news: Tomorrow is Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

@BtB

Regarding nutrition the best advice that can be given without specifics is to make a concious decision about everything you eat. 90% of the time we eat it is convenience and habit that are the biggest culprits.

When making a sandwich or dinner ask yourself what is the alternative to this? Is this meal healthy? Could it be healthier?

As long as you do this you will be making positive steps. Sometimes it is no harm to treat ourselves to the takeaway etc but make sure it is actively thought about, this way the treats will be actual treats and the majority of times it will make positive in roads with regards overall nutrition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

ecoli wrote: »
    @BtB

Regarding nutrition the best advice that can be given without specifics is to make a concious decision about everything you eat. 90% of the time we eat it is convenience and habit that are the biggest culprits.

When making a sandwich or dinner ask yourself what is the alternative to this? Is this meal healthy? Could it be healthier?

As long as you do this you will be making positive steps. Sometimes it is no harm to treat ourselves to the takeaway etc but make sure it is actively thought about, this way the treats will be actual treats and the majority of times it will make positive in roads with regards overall nutrition

Fine advice for all of us, the only thing I would add is to be prepared, know what you will eat and when. Plan your meals and snacks and shop accordingly. The decisions ecoli talks about are much easier when you know what you have in the house.
    It sounds basic but sit down work out 7 days of meals, breakfasts, Lunch, snacks etc (or 4 or 3 whatever) and buy according to that list, you'll save money, save on waste and transform your eating patterns.

6miles done, started out at 5pm and the thermometer was at 28C, finished and it was at 33C! Had a camelbak on me so had loads of water. no real ill effects with the ankle so far, so all in all a decent first holiday run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭BuilderBob

Hi all
    Great advice Ecoli, KillianByrne and Ososlo - not just for training, for life! either :) Genuinely grateful to you all
    Was keen that I wasn't to overlook anything obvious and then discover in a few months time that I should have added Ground Warthog Testicle or somesuch wonder food, that all runners should know about, to the diet :D

@Tiegan
    Not sure if it's a help but I had similar issues in the toe department and wwas recommended to Amphibian King in Ashtown. Was a bit morto showing the guy my battered feet but he insisted and was able to advise on best shoes to combat. New runners havn't given any issues thus far (I say touching wood!). Also mentioned that our feet swell by up to half a size when running for more than 45mins and you need to factor that in for longer distance running.
    Previous I'd tried special socks and all kinds of plasters etc.
    Just a thought

@KillianByrne
    Sounds more like the type of warm weather acclimatisation that some of the footballers would have done before heading to Brazil but would you recommend the camelpack type set up over bottles - either handheld or belt?

BuilderBob wrote: »

@KillianByrne
    Sounds more like the type of warm weather acclimatisation that some of the footballers would have done before heading to Brazil but would you recommend the camelpack type set up over bottles - either handheld or belt?

I only use the camelbak because of the volume of water required and I don't like running with things in my hands. I mainly use it on the bike & it works fine for running too. If I'm out for a 3hr LSR I'll need it with me.

Another option is to bring a bottle or two with you on a run and leave it somewhere you will be passing in a loop. Just put it somewhere no one will nick it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Copy and paste from my own log

20/06/2014

I just rested my self since the last club session on Tuesday in preparation for the clubs 5k race today.
    Got up early for the race had to register late for it and just warmed up. Got talking to another club member and told me that the route has been changed.

Lined up at the start and off we went, a nice long straight for the first 1k started off a bit quick and slowed a little just tried to keep the pace even as possible. Got over the first hill slowed me a bit but got back on the pace as soon as possible. The last few 100 meters was hard I could see the finish line then had a club member shout at me 50 meters to go pass him in front so I sped up and just finished before him.

Previous Pb 22.48
    New Pb 21:57

Delighted with this race gives me a great boost for Clontarf Half in two weeks.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/524767795

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Copy and paste from my own log

20/06/2014

I just rested my self since the last club session on Tuesday in preparation for the clubs 5k race today.
    Got up early for the race had to register late for it and just warmed up. Got talking to another club member and told me that the route has been changed.

Lined up at the start and off we went, a nice long straight for the first 1k started off a bit quick and slowed a little just tried to keep the pace even as possible. Got over the first hill slowed me a bit but got back on the pace as soon as possible. The last few 100 meters was hard I could see the finish line then had a club member shout at me 50 meters to go pass him in front so I sped up and just finished before him.

Previous Pb 22.48
    New Pb 21:57

Delighted with this race gives me a great boost for Clontarf Half in two weeks.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/524767795

Wow! That is a superb result and pb Darren! Major congratulations! You must be over the moon. Great things on the horizon for you:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Ososlo wrote: »
    Wow! That is a superb result and pb Darren! Major congratulations! You must be over the moon. Great things on the horizon for you:D

Hope so, the same for yourself with the sessions you are putting in you will smash you're 5k time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Quick question, just looking at the Boards plan, again!

I run with my Club on Mondays. Should I just swap Monday and Tuesday or give up the Club for the summer and stick to the plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

AK333 wrote: »

I run with my Club on Mondays. Should I just swap Monday and Tuesday or give up the Club for the summer and stick to the plan.

What kind of run/session do you do on Mondays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Sunday - 80 minutes exercise bike, resistance 2/10
    Monday - 25 minute evening walk
    Tuesday - 20 minute lunchtime walk
    Wednesday -11k run in 80 minutes: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/359518806/6891640
    Thursday - 30 minute exercise bike, pyramid program
    Friday - 4k run in 26 minutes with a hill climb: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/360510065/6891640
    Saturday - maybe gardening or a short walk
    Tomorrow - Galway Simon 10 mile, goal time of 1:49. I haven't done a 10 mile race before but my best time between half marathon splits and training runs is 1:53.

My personal opinion on this is that a club session, a marathon pace run, and a long slow run is a little to much for a novice marathon runner who's relatively inexperienced.
    However, I'm no expert and I don't want to discourage anyone who's in a club to stop doing club sessions if they might be beneficial so I'd ask ecoli or someone experienced to give their opinion on this.
    If the club session is intervals, maybe it's ok to do it for the next few weeks but come July I think you'd be better off concentrating on miles and not speedwork. But I would drop the marathon pace work in the meantime and just do the club session as my 'faster' workout of the week.

vitani wrote: »
    What kind of run/session do you do on Mondays?

Mostly laps of the track.
    W/u about two laps
    Then 5 fast laps
    Then pyramid laps 4, then 3, then 2, all at pace
    5/6 x 100m sprints
    stretches
    cool down lap

I usually do 5/6 slow laps before we start

thx

Mostly laps of the track.
    W/u about two laps
    Then 5 fast laps
    Then pyramid laps 4, then 3, then 2, all at pace
    5/6 x 100m sprints
    stretches
    cool down lap

I usually do 5/6 slow laps before we start

thx

Would you be fairly wrecked by the end of that? Sounds pretty taxing. Would you consider it a 'hard' workout?

Would you be fairly wrecked by the end of that? Sounds pretty taxing. Would you consider it a 'hard' workout?

Yes I would but then I'm an auld wan with aspirations way beyond my abilities.

Seriously, yes I would be tired after it but I thought that was the whole idea? Our club winds down during the summer so missing this wouldn't be a big problem. I might miss the craic but I want to do this the best way I can

Yes I would but then I'm an auld wan with aspirations way beyond my abilities.

Seriously, yes I would be tired after it but I thought that was the whole idea? Our club winds down during the summer so missing this wouldn't be a big problem. I might miss the craic but I want to do this the best way I can

Yes of course you're supposed to be tired after it!!!!
    I'm just trying to get an idea of how much something like that would take out of you as you (or anybody!) would need a few days to recover from a session like that so to follow it with marathon pace work a day or too later might be too much (for anybody!). NOTHING to do with age:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hi AK,

My advice would be not to give up on the club sessions, this sport can be lonely enough as it is an in the middle of a training block having people who will notice your absence or even just someone to make a run mentally easier can help when the miles crank up and things get hard enough.

You have a few years under your belt of training so it's no harm to throw in the quality days with the club. You may need to alter the rest of your week however to make sure you are recovered (Either use this as a substitute to your Wed quality work or even push the Wed to Thurs to ensure you recover between the quality days)

I would say also talk to the club coach and show them the plan you are following they may be able to tailor the monday sessions to fit in or even help you make amendments to combine the two.

I would encourage everyone to use their running as a social outlet. Running with people often makes it easier as well as being a good way to multi-task. Training for a marathon is quite time consuming so why not use this time interacting with friends and new acquaintances, this will help you integrate it into a your general lifestyle as opposed to seeing it as an option that takes away from other aspects of your life as it can put a strain on both your friendships and relationships with significant other (hence the term "runners widow" which pops up)

Running with people can be the difference between training for a once off marathon and actually getting involved in running as a long term hobby.

[Running with people can be the difference between training for a once off marathon and actually getting involved in running as a long term hobby.]

Thanks for your advice Ecoli and Ososlow - I appreciate your time.

I have printed off the plan that Ososlow prepared so I will show my coach on Monday and ask her to fit it around what she has planned - she'll have no problem doing that and yes you are right, our club is very social and a good few of us run together during the week and I would consider them friends as well as running buddies. Its good to have the company.

Thanks again to you both

• Advertisement

Going on ecoli's advice you could do this:

Monday: Club
    Tuesday: Rest/Recovery run
    Wednesday: Easy run
    Thursday: Marathon pace run (if feeling extra tired run less mp miles or just run it all as an easy run)
    Friday: Rest/Recovery run
    Saturday: LSR
    Sunday: Recovery run

See how you get on but I'd just say don't push both sessions in the week. The main thing is your long run. If you're not recovered well from the lsr, consider giving the club session a miss. Good idea to print off the plan and show it to the coach too.

Going on ecoli's advice you could do this:

Monday: Club
    Tuesday: Rest/Recovery run
    Wednesday: Easy run
    Thursday: Marathon pace run (if feeling extra tired run less mp miles or just run it all as an easy run)
    Friday: Rest/Recovery run
    Saturday: LSR
    Sunday: Recovery run

Good idea to print off the plan and show it to the coach too.

Great minds think alike. I'll definitely show her the plan, thx. Would running the pace run Thursday, with only one day between my LSR be enough? Am I right in thinking the above just changes Wednesday/Thursday

edit - just checked, you rejigged it a bit more for me thx

I hope you have loads of patience, this marathon planning stuff is complicated and we haven't even officially started yet :D

Great minds think alike. I'll definitely show her the plan, thx. Would running the pace run Thursday, with only one day between my LSR be enough? Am I right in thinking the above just changes Wednesday/Thursday

edit - just checked, you rejigged it a bit more for me thx

I hope you have loads of patience, this marathon planning stuff is complicated and we haven't even officially started yet :D

I'd play it by ear with the marathon pace run. If you feel fine on Wednesday and have the time you could do it then. If you feel you need an extra day of recovery you could do it Thursday. You know yourself already, but have at least one recovery day between harder workouts. We're all different. Some people need 2 days recovery, some are fine with one, some need more. Time will tell how you cope with it. Main thing is you get your miles in every week, you get your long slow run done and you recover well. And you have fun doing it all of course!
    Yeah I got lots of patience:D

ciaranmac wrote: »
    Sunday - 80 minutes exercise bike, resistance 2/10
    Monday - 25 minute evening walk
    Tuesday - 20 minute lunchtime walk
    Wednesday -11k run in 80 minutes: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/359518806/6891640
    Thursday - 30 minute exercise bike, pyramid program
    Friday - 4k run in 26 minutes with a hill climb: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/360510065/6891640
    Saturday - maybe gardening or a short walk
    Tomorrow - Galway Simon 10 mile, goal time of 1:49. I haven't done a 10 mile race before but my best time between half marathon splits and training runs is 1:53.

Best of luck tomorrow ciaranmac. Looking forward to the race report!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Top tip for long runs. You can never have too much vaseline. Finished my run with 5 miles of chaffing yesterday.

Walking like a cowboy today. Always fun!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

LaHaine wrote: »
    Top tip for long runs. You can never have too much vaseline.

Especially if you do them in the Phoenix Park.....:pac::pac:

http://www.sundayworld.com/top-stories/news/shameless-sex-acts-take-place-in-broad-daylight-phoenix-park-gay-sex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

yaboya1 wrote: »

Haha it was in Phoenix Park too. im walking funny from running, I swear!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Had a good week last week, ran 85.5K (53 mile), but that was because I had 2 LSRs during the week. The breakdown...

Sat 30k (lsr) 9:50 min/mi
    Sun 5k recovery 10:34 min/mi
    Mon 12.5k 8:43 min/mi
    Tue 7k 8:57 min/mi
    Wen 24k 10:02 min/mi
    Thur 7k 9:40 min/mi
    Fri No running, gym work.

I didn't have such a great week, life and the heat got in the way. Ran 10 mile yesterday which I was pleased with. I ran with a water belt yesterday for the first time. Ultimate Performance is the brand. Two 10 oz bottles with a small pouch for keys, etc. I prefer to run with free hands and I was delighted with the belt. Very stable and comfortable, I can recommend it if anyone was thinking of getting something similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Hi All

Great thread, lots of helpful and useful advise

So my answers to the questions in the OP are as follows:

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

I have done a little bit before but not much recently
    I did the Race Series Half Marathon in 2012 in 2hrs 38mins, I was aiming for 2 hours but hadn't put in enough work and my groin went after 10 miles
    I did the run in the dark 10k in november 2013 in 1 hour 8 mins with no training whatsoever and this is what spurred me on to try this

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)

I do but I think that is due to trying to match a pace, I am going to stick to the LSR principle for the plan and I should be ok

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

4 days a week currently with some weights on other days, I have a decent base to start off with I have been training consistently since March

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

I would love to do it in under 4 hours but having read other peoples expectations who are much fitter than me I will be happy to get it in under 4.5 hours

How many days a week can you train?

As many as is necessary, I will do as I am told and stick to the plan

Why are you running this marathon?

It has always been something I have wanted to do and finally gotten around to forcing myself to make the effort

I have never had a plan to work to before and am looking forward to sticking to the boards one and I appreciate all the hard work that has gone into this thread so far, it has been and will be my inspiration

Advertisement