Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

frash wrote: »
    Just in from 5 mile lunchtime run @ just under 10 min per mile (a comfortable pace)

Still have some stiffness in the muscles around my ankle & it seems to be spreading into my calf too. Seeing someone on Thursday about it but in the meantime are those 'Deep Heat' sprays any good? or maybe the cooling ones?

p.s. off to update the spreadsheet

Ice is best after a run (cooling gel if that's all you have will do) and "Deep Heat" the days after or before a run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

Hey Guys,
    Can someone post a link to the Spreadsheet... Thanks.

Did 5km this morning at 5:30am,,,, beautiful time of the day to run!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Dow99 wrote: »
    Hey Guys,
    Can someone post a link to the Spreadsheet... Thanks.

Did 5km this morning at 5:30am,,,, beautiful time of the day to run!
    Here you go

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgZJb81V05sKdDVtWmFhbXoyRG9TdU9lTXB5S05PZlE&usp=drive_web#gid=35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Nicsx wrote: »
    Just in from my LSR with Yourpaceormine - 16.2 miles at 10.17. Had enough left in the legs to up the pace a bit for the last mile - a mixture of time constraints & practising the sprint finish!! (I use the term sprint very loosely)

As you can imagine it's a warm day, we were glowing when we came in. Should we be drinking something to replace electrolytes etc or am I overthinking things. I just had water on the way round, Yourpaceormine had Lucozade sport. Thanks

Depends on how you felt afterwards really. Were you wiped? If so then maybe consider taking a drink with you. I used to take diluted Lucozade Sport on a run of 13 miles or over or a nuun tablet in my water bottle. I'd tend to sweat a lot so would need to replace as I'd go especially in very hot weather (which it was last summer).
    Yes intake some carbs and protein soon after your run also to aid muscle recovery. Some people like chocolate milk. A banana and a drink of milk would be good either and try and have it within 20 mins of finishing your run. Have a decent meal an hour or so after that too. And lots of water of course!
    Well done, that's some run to have under the belt at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Vico1612 wrote: »

Even though I posted on the spreadsheet last night, I didn't really look at it too closely. Just realised that it's a daily log of what you ran rather than a weekly one! :eek:

Well if anything is going to get me out of the house on a rainy evening, that will...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

Ososlo wrote: »
    Well done, that's some run to have under the belt at this point.

Did a HM in April & was determined not to lose the fitness so have been plodding away. I'm also trying to 'bank' a couple of long runs to allow for unforeseen circumstances over the summer.

The legs felt ok as I was finishing, it was 5 mins after I stopped that I found it hard to get going again. I may have had 1 or 2 miles left in them but 10- I think not! What have I got myself into?!?!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The legs felt ok as I was finishing, it was 5 mins after I stopped that I found it hard to get going again. I may have had 1 or 2 miles left in them but 10- I think not! What have I got myself into?!?!

It's very hard to get going alright after stopping, I found this out the hard way twice. Near the end of my LSR route I cross a dart crossing it's about 2 mile from my house, a couple of weeks ago at mile 17 of a 19 mile LSR I had to stop at the crossing for maybe 3/4 min, I was grand till then very very difficult to get going again and the last couple of miles were not enjoyable.

The next time I will double back on myself to avoide stopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Depends on how you felt afterwards really. Were you wiped? I used to take diluted Lucozade Sport on a run of 13 miles or over or a nuun tablet in my water bottle. I'd tend to sweat a lot so would need to replace as I'd go especially in very hot weather (which it was last summer).
    Yes intake some carbs and protein soon after your run also to aid muscle recovery. Some people like chocolate milk. A banana and a drink of milk would be good either .

Where would I get a nuun tablet as like you, I glow a lot during my runs! I'm a diabetic and can't even look at a bottle of lucozade - a fellow diabetic could tell you why :rolleyes: Also, as my lsr gets longer I'm going to try the Gels but where do I get them. Sports shops (elverys, lifestyle) or health shops. I normally run first thing on empty but need to practice running with say breakfast and then use a gel just to see what all the fuss is about!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 YourPaceOrMine

Just in from my LSR with Yourpaceormine - 16.2 miles at 10.17. Had enough left in the legs to up the pace a bit for the last mile - a mixture of time constraints & practising the sprint finish!! (I use the term sprint very loosely)

As you can imagine it's a warm day, we were glowing when we came in. Should we be drinking something to replace electrolytes etc or am I overthinking things. I just had water on the way round, Yourpaceormine had Lucozade sport. Thanks

Was buzzing after my 16 miles this morning! I iced my legs the minute I got home and it really helped. Had a whopper of a headache and after my buzz left I was wiped out. But some water and a little food and I felt better. I feel better now than after my 15 miles last week!! Dare I say this is getting easier :)

AK333 wrote: »
    Where would I get a nuun tablet as like you, I glow a lot during my runs! I'm a diabetic and can't even look at a bottle of lucozade - a fellow diabetic could tell you why :rolleyes: Also, as my lsr gets longer I'm going to try the Gels but where do I get them. Sports shops (elverys, lifestyle) or health shops. I normally run first thing on empty but need to practice running with say breakfast and then use a gel just to see what all the fuss is about!

I used to get my nuun tabs from Amphibian King shop or online from Wiggle . Not sure where else you could get them.
    Most sports shops sell gels and a lot of health food shops. Try your local ones.
    Good idea to practice running with the breakfast and trying a gel but there's no rush with this at all until the runs get a bit longer.
    Great to read in your earlier post that your coach is on board with helping out fitting your sessions around the marathon plan. That'll be so helpful for you going forward to have that support and professional help.

• Advertisement

Was buzzing after my 16 miles this morning! I iced my legs the minute I got home and it really helped. Had a whopper of a headache and after my buzz left I was wiped out. But some water and a little food and I felt better. I feel better now than after my 15 miles last week!! Dare I say this is getting easier :)

The headache is probably a sign of dehydration. Make sure you're drinking lots of water in the days before the run and plenty during the run if you need it. You could do loops back to your car or if on foot, then stash an extra bottle of water/sports drink somewhere in the bushes or take some money and stop in a shop, and make sure you hydrate well when you finish the run too. Great running! You guys must be very well matched pace wise!

Hal Plan - FYI:
    Hi guys, someone has changed the whole Hal plan on the spreadsheet:confused:
    I don't have time to fix it tonight but please note that the next 3 days have runs of 3 miles here's a link to the plan

The Hal Plan is now fixed on the spreadsheet:)
    I'm trying to get it locked(am not original creator of doc) but in the meantime can we leave it alone? The only thing to be edited/added to by anyone is your own mileage/kilomometerage? on the Weekly Sheet.
    Thank you kindly :)
    Yours
    Ososlo

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jelly Legs

5 miles done this evening. Feels great to have finally started the plan. Hope the enthusiasm continues :) Ossoslo you'll have your work cut out over the next 18 weeks - can't believe how much the thread is growing. Roll on 27 Oct

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

Apologies if this has been asked already but what do you guys think about water/fuel belts?
    Up to now, for my LSR, I've been carrying my phone on my arm, a water bottle in my hand and keys, banana, tissues (for the runny nose and sweaty face, such a glamorous sport!) in my jacket pocket tied around my waist. Needless to say with the great weather, the jacket is no longer needed.
    I got a belt and tried it out yesterday and found it a bit annoying. Also, checking it out online, nothing makes you look more like a running newbie than wearing one of these!
    Has anyone else used one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I've used Nuun tablets and also High 5 which you can get these or a version of these in Elveries or Amp King as Ososlo has stated.

You can also try Dioralyte - it may be more easily accessible in any chemist - it is just as good, some would say better? Not too much of a price difference.

I use dioralyte before a session or long run - I also use Salt tablets if its a very warm day.

Some more info on Electrolytes here:

gingersnap wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked already but what do you guys think about water/fuel belts?
    Up to now, for my LSR, I've been carrying my phone on my arm, a water bottle in my hand and keys, banana, tissues (for the runny nose and sweaty face, such a glamorous sport!) in my jacket pocket tied around my waist. Needless to say with the great weather, the jacket is no longer needed.
    I got a belt and tried it out yesterday and found it a bit annoying. Also, checking it out online, nothing makes you look more like a running newbie than wearing one of these!

I was never a fan of water belts so just telling you what I did.
    I carried one of these for all my training runs and for the marathon itself. Your hand slips into the side strap so you don't have to 'grasp' the bottle so your hand is relaxed when running. It fits the standard 500ml bottles of lucozade sport or water etc. It has a little pocket too so you can put your keys and tissues in it. You could consider a wrist sweat-band for the nose and face issues. I've the same issues as yourself!
    You can put your gels into your pockets if you wear these shorts. You can fit up to 8 gels in them and other stuff. Best thing I ever bought.
    Someone else might tell you about the belts as I never wore one properly.

I used one for my 1st 2 Marathons - it had 3x 175m bottles, so it was a perfect size but I lost it on holidays.
    I searched everywhere for something similar but most were the larger bottle size.
    But I found one again in Direct Sports (Heatons in Blanch) and bought it for €11.
    I've no problem using it and dont really care if someone thinks I'm a newbie :)

Plus the t-shirt covers it as the bottles are small but sufficient..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Day 1!!!

Just in from my 3 mile run. First run since the Tuam 5K race 3 weeks ago. Some eejit I know, but I changed my watch to miles so now it's on like Donkey Kong.

Seems like I've 60 pages of catching up to do but fear not, I'm back. Hopefully I haven't missed too much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Did 3 miles tonight too. Having been resting my injury since Thursday, I was hoping to blow off the cobwebs

AIS before I went out

Then the run itself and I was suffering with some pain during it.. Run averaged 10:12.

AIS again afterwards and it feels OK now. But I'm not particularly happy.

I have a 5 Mile pace run on the agenda for tomorrow. Dunno if it'll go ahead or not at this stage.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Did 3 miles tonight too. Having been resting my injury since Thursday, I was hoping to blow off the cobwebs

AIS before I went out

Then the run itself and I was suffering with some pain during it.. Run averaged 10:12.

AIS again afterwards and it feels OK now. But I'm not particularly happy.

I have a 5 Mile pace run on the agenda for tomorrow. Dunno if it'll go ahead or not at this stage.

If you have 'pain' then dont do it.
    If its a 'niggle' then do it slower & shorten it to 3 miles.

• Advertisement

I used one for my 1st 2 Marathons - it had 3x 175m bottles, so it was a perfect size but I lost it on holidays.
    I searched everywhere for something similar but most were the larger bottle size.
    But I found one again in Direct Sports (Heatons in Blanch) and bought it for €11.
    I've no problem using it and dont really care if someone thinks I'm a newbie :)

Plus the t-shirt covers it as the bottles are small but sufficient..........

Maybe I'll give it another go as I like the idea of having my hands free. Couldn't figure out which way to wear it though (at the front, back, side, on hips or waist) and spent half the time re-adjusting it :)

I was never a fan of water belts so just telling you what I did.
    I carried one of these for all my training runs and for the marathon itself. Your hand slips into the side strap so you don't have to 'grasp' the bottle so your hand is relaxed when running. It fits the standard 500ml bottles of lucozade sport or water etc. It has a little pocket too so you can put your keys and tissues in it. You could consider a wrist sweat-band for the nose and face issues. I've the same issues as yourself!
    You can put your gels into your pockets if you wear shorts. You can fit up to 8 gels in them and other stuff. Best thing I ever bought.
    Someone else might tell you about the belts as I never wore one properly.

Thanks Ososlo. Does the water holder make your hand sweaty?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

menoscemo wrote: »
    You are right, it is totally overpriced and the course is ridiculously difficult.
    You start down by the port and finish up at the highest point in phoenix park, so it's a very uphill course.
    I reckon you would run several minutes faster on a normal course, so running the R&R half might not give you an idea of what kind of shape you are actually in...
    There is not a lot of choice for Half's in August. Maybe the longford half on the 24th? It's a pretty good course though again possibly a bit dear (but at least your money is going to local charities).

Agree with this re price ( unless you are in A club and entering via aai)but do you not think this would be good practice with change in DCM course...long drag up Chesterfield? Don't need to have a fast HM time that far out from DCM so some benefit in doing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Only newbies worry about looking like a newbie. ;) I wear a belt with 2 small bottles, which is more than enough for the longest run. Do what feels right for you. You've already discovered how hard it is to carry a lot of stuff. This is an important discovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

RedRunner wrote: »
    Agree with this re price ( unless you are in A club and entering via aai)but do you not think this would be good practice with change in DCM course...long drag up Chesterfield? Don't need to have a fast HM time that far out from DCM so some benefit in doing it?

Maybe so, but who cares? This crowd are a bunch of money grabbing opportunists who have made a point of not investing in the sport. **** 'em.

I used a belt for the first time last Saturday on my lsr - it wasn't very long but the heat's a killer. Its an Ultimate Performance belt, two 10oz bottles and a pouch, not big enough for a banana but good for keys, tissues, etc. I wear my phone on my arm, but I always have, so I'm used to it. I didn't know the brand before I bought it. It was great, very stable and I didn't feel the water "jiggling" about. I couldn't wear a jacket running, even in the winter. Hope you get something that suits you.

I've used Nuun tablets and also High 5 which you can get these or a version of these in Elveries or Amp King as Ososlo has stated.

You can also try Dioralyte - it may be more easily accessible in any chemist - it is just as good, some would say better? Not too much of a price difference.

I use dioralyte before a session or long run - I also use Salt tablets if its a very warm day.

Some more info on Electrolytes here:

Great info, thx. Where do you get the Salt tablets and do you take the dioralyte directly before a long run - I think I could benefit from these

AK333 wrote: »
    Great info, thx. Where do you get the Salt tablets and do you take the dioralyte directly before a long run - I think I could benefit from these

I bought them online - from Wiggle I think.

I have taken the dioralyte before & after long runs (at different times) - I've even mixed in into my water during some long runs in the past.

Generally I take it afterwards, but that's just because I forget to take it before.

Also - note that if you are taking a lot of water during the week, that you are diluting your salt/electrolyte levels as well - so I take them at adhoc times during the week too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

7 miles done this morning, never really a fan of early morning running before, or early morning anything really but I can see that not having to show up until 10:30 is going to have its benefits.

Have a new pair of Saucony kinvara which I took for a test drive, very nice, I like the lower drop on them.

Hopefully get some Core work or weights done this evening and I will be happy with my day.

Advertisement