Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

Sticky going out there! Plenty of fluids needed!

Did my LSR yesterday evening...Started from Leeson St and up to Marlay and back home...nice hilly route. But it was so close and humid, I was sweating buckets! Basically been drinking water non-stop since (bar sleeping of course) and still feel thirsty. I also feel a little bit more drained than usual. I had slowed the run right down; but threw in 5km at MP(-ish!) at end; maybe that threw me over the edge. lol

Recovery run this morning was helpful though; it started crazy slow and finished very slow. But felt much much better afterward.

Won't get any running in over the weekend as I'm in London Friday to Tuesday at Wimbledon so don't mind having a hard week now. Bank a few days training so to speak!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Alan30

Very warm out this morning even with no sun out. 5 miles done with 5* 100mts strides. Nearly got knocked down by a car as I was running on a cycle lane he pulled out right in front of me and I hit the side of the car. No damage to me luckily. I wouldn't mind but he stopped and looked so he should have seen me as I was wearing a bright red top.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Murph_D wrote: »
    Maybe so, but who cares? This crowd are a bunch of money grabbing opportunists who have made a point of not investing in the sport. **** 'em.

Fair enough. I'm suddenly feeling dirty for having entered the race now:o

The timing just suited me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

RedRunner wrote: »
    Fair enough. I'm suddenly feeling dirty for having entered the race now:o

The timing just suited me.

Ditto. Entered because it suited me! In Dublin, 8.30am start on a Bank Holiday. Hard pressed to find a more convenient half for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

gingersnap wrote: »
    Thanks Ososlo. Does the water holder make your hand sweaty?

No not more than usual anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

Murph_D wrote: »
    Maybe so, but who cares? This crowd are a bunch of money grabbing opportunists who have made a point of not investing in the sport. **** 'em.

and they used the date already used by the DLR 10k!

AK333 wrote: »
    Great info, thx. Where do you get the Salt tablets and do you take the dioralyte directly before a long run - I think I could benefit from these

I only ever took dioralyte after a run (available in any chemist) but found it really good if I felt bad after a long run (dehydrated or a bit sick in the very hot weather). It's good for revival so handy to have a pack in the house for emergencies.

Alan30 wrote: »
    Very warm out this morning even with no sun out. 5 miles done with 5* 100mts strides. Nearly got knocked down by a car as I was running on a cycle lane he pulled out right in front of me and I hit the side of the car. No damage to me luckily. I wouldn't mind but he stopped and looked so he should have seen me as I was wearing a bright red top.

That's awful. Thank the running gods you're ok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

Ososlo wrote: »
    I only ever took dioralyte after a run (available in any chemist) but found it really good if I felt bad after a long run (dehydrated or a bit sick in the very hot weather). It's good for revival so handy to have a pack in the house for emergencies.

(off topic)
    Great for hangovers too!

frash wrote: »
    (off topic)
    Great for hangovers too!

ahem.. yes I have used it for such purposes too:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

Week 6 was finished on Monday with 15 miles run, and my longest run to date, doing 5 miles on Monday in 55mins. It was very hot, so i took it nice and steady, just making sure i got the miles into my legs.

Happy with that and on target for Clontarf 5 mile race in two weeks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

frash wrote: »
    (off topic)
    Great for hangovers too!

for maximum benefit take the dioryalite BEFORE going to bed after a night out. Can be hard to achieve if you are goosed. I leave it beside my bedside lock to remind me. :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

So who is doing the 5 mile in the Park on Saturday...? Looking forward to it, never raced over 5 mile so a PB on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Dub13 wrote: »
    So who is doing the 5 mile in the Park on Saturday...? Looking forward to it, never raced over 5 mile so a PB on the way.

Yep will be doing it myself and looking forward to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

How many days are people running each week.
    As for salt loss I sometimes just put some table salt in a glass of water.
    I see people mentioning strides. Is this running at 3/4 pace?

How many days are people running each week.
    As for salt loss I sometimes just put some table salt in a glass of water.
    I see people mentioning strides. Is this running at 3/4 pace?

The Hal Plan has 4 days running and the Boards plan has 5 days with optional extra easy paced runs.
    Have a look at Post 2 on this thread about strides.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jelly Legs

Dub13 wrote: »

I'll be there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Just looking at the plans again there now, and notice that there is little or no mention of specific work on hills. Do people think this is something that we should or shouldn't be doing and if so, should it be specific in the plan, or is it a case of planning a percentage of your runs to take in not so flat routes? If the latter, is it better to do them as part of marathon pace runs or as part of the LSR? Sorry for the multiple questions.

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Just looking at the plans again there now, and notice that there is little or no mention of specific work on hills. Do people think this is something that we should or shouldn't be doing and if so, should it be specific in the plan, or is it a case of planning a percentage of your runs to take in not so flat routes? If the latter, is it better to do them as part of marathon pace runs or as part of the LSR? Sorry for the multiple questions.

DCM isn't particularly hilly but there are some inclines here and there. I would include them on some of the lsrs for sure. They're great to toughen you up and strengthen up the legs. I did plenty of my lsrs on hills in the Phoneix Park and felt it stood to me on the day. When you're faced with a bit of a hill like Roebuck Hill you have the confidence to tackle it without panicking. Yes definitely do some of the lsr on hills. I wouldn't worry about doing the mp sections on the hills though for the moment anyways. You have enough to cope with with the lsr getting longer and longer and the pace work in itself. You don't want to over-tax the body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

If you have 'pain' then dont do it.
    If its a 'niggle' then do it slower & shorten it to 3 miles.

I'm in the category of "Don't do it" then.

Which led me to think...... I'll show that AMK fecker. So I did 5 miles at VO2 Max :P

Only messin.

I didn't do it.

I'm a bore! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

6 miles done in the sunshine along the river here with the smell of fresh baguettes coming out of the oven and the cacophony of irate French people driving their Renault 2cv through morning traffic on the way to market. Fresh squeezed orange juice, chocolate milk, porridge and 2 poached eggs waiting for me in the campsite as I returned.

Only joking, it's actually a bit cloudy. The rest is true though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Hi found this thread yesterday, love it, lot's of great advice, just a bit of advice needed. Usually run three to four times a week with no real plan, usually 10k runs @5kmin pace. Want to start upping the distance hopefully to do a half marathon in August and hopefully DCM in October. When I do my lsr at the weekend what pace should I look to be doing, I was thinking of 5.30km pace, need to start thinking seriously about upping the distance, but know I will struggle if I don't do my runs slower. I did a half marathon in training six months ago, but that was on the flat, and where I usually run can be quite hilly, any advice on the lsr would be appreciated

avfc1874 wrote: »
    Hi found this thread yesterday, love it, lot's of great advice, just a bit of advice needed. Usually run three to four times a week with no real plan, usually 10k runs @5kmin pace. Want to start upping the distance hopefully to do a half marathon in August and hopefully DCM in October. When I do my lsr at the weekend what pace should I look to be doing, I was thinking of 5.30km pace, need to start thinking seriously about upping the distance, but know I will struggle if I don't do my runs slower. I did a half marathon in training six months ago, but that was on the flat, and where I usually run can be quite hilly, any advice on the lsr would be appreciated
    Hi
    have a look at the second post on this thread about pacing the lsr and if you have further specific questions get back to us. It's all explained there in detail.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Would doing 3 or so slow miles as a warm up have any negative impact on performance on the 5 mile this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

Injury Update Folks.

Visited the physio the other night. He confirmed a hamstring tear, did some dry needling and gave me a program of rehab to follow. I should be able to run at recovery pace for 20 minutes or so early next week and gradually build it up(providing I have no discomfort when walking). He said I could be back to doing easy runs in another 7-10 days after that.

He said definitely no sprinting for a couple of months. I had decided I was finished with tag for the summer anyway, so I don’t think it’ll be a problem for me. I had decided to follow the boards plan so am going to bring a copy with me for a follow up appointment next week and run it by him. Hopefully he can advise how I can slot back into it safely. He is used to seeing me with rugby injuries and I was thinking after the appointment, i’m not sure he realised how much running I was planning to do and the paces involved, but i’ll get that clarified next week.

I had a headstart of about 3 weeks on the plan, which I was hoping to use as a buffer for holidays etc but it looks like i’ll have to work around that now. Not a great start to the plan but i’m hopeful I can get back on track.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Would doing 3 or so slow miles as a warm up have any negative impact on performance on the 5 mile this weekend?

Depends on how slowly you do them. I'd always do 2 very slow miles at recovery pace before a race and find it good. 3 might be a bit too much but maybe not if you take it very handy. You could do a few extra miles cooldown after race if you need to get the miles in.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Ososlo wrote: »
    Depends on how slowly you do them. I'd always do 2 very slow miles at recovery pace before a race and find it good. 3 might be a bit too much but maybe not if you take it very handy. You could do a few extra miles cooldown after race if you need to get the miles in.

Don't really need to get the miles in just love about 3 miles away so thinking about running there and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

No work from me so far this week (aside from weights on Monday)
    I have been feeling very under the weather this week, a combination of hayfever and Sinus trouble

I think it will just be the LSR this week that will get done

I will tack on a few extra miles next week to try and make up for it, not an ideal start to the plan but hopefully that is the last of the health woes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

No work from me so far this week (aside from weights on Monday)
    I have been feeling very under the weather this week, a combination of hayfever and Sinus trouble

I think it will just be the LSR this week that will get done

I will tack on a few extra miles next week to try and make up for it, not an ideal start to the plan but hopefully that is the last of the health woes

Unless you were already well used to running more miles than in the plan don't chase the lost miles / runs. Let them go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

adrian522 wrote: »

I'd never do 3 as a warm up, 2 at a max but always do some strides.

To answer your Q, in my opinion, yes 3 miles would have a negative impact.

Advertisement