Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Grand, I'll cycle over in that case!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lbucko

adrian522 wrote: »
    Would doing 3 or so slow miles as a warm up have any negative impact on performance on the 5 mile this weekend?

As mentioned I think it depends how easy you do them and give yourself enough time before the race to do a bit of stretching. I got a PB in a 5k after running the 5k course slow as a warmup. I know you're doing 5 mile so you'd want to take it very easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

adrian522 wrote: »
    Would doing 3 or so slow miles as a warm up have any negative impact on performance on the 5 mile this weekend?

For most races in PP I jog the 3-4 miles from home to them. Don't think it's affected me too bad. Getting home after the race is another matter, I'm usually banjaxed, so I keep leap & dublin bike cards on me just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

Just in from 6.4 miles with strides. It was my first time doing strides so I'm not totally sure if I did them correctly but I enjoyed the change in pace - maybe that means I wasn't trying hard enough though...... :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Best of luck to everyone running the Race Series 5 mile in the morning.
    Weather is looking kind so go out there and tear up the roads of the park and bring home some great pbs. A lot of you won't have raced a 5 mile before so plenty of pbs guaranteed:D I loved this race last year. It's a classic:D Have fun and remember to keep some energy in reserve for the hillier sections towards the end.
    I look forward to reading all the reports.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

5 Mile today in the park. Went nearly 2 mins slower than the Terenure 5 mile 1 month ago, I guess you can't tip around with only easy runs and expect to maintain that level of fitness.

Garmin time 40:22. I kind of knew going in I wasn't going to PB but was hoping for sub 40. I reckon if I really pushed myself I could have gone 39:xx, anyway not too bothered as I have already achieved my 5 mile target for the year.

Now to get stuck into marathon training.

By the way the bag collection afterwards was a complete mess, was left standing in the rain for at least 15 mins waiting to get my bag back. The rest of the organisation was top class as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mr kr0nik

Well did it in 42.19 (according to my Garmin). Well done to all those who took part and volunteered on the day.

Had a great time.

The baggage collection afterwards was a bit of a emss all right, especially when it starting really raining. I started getting cold quickly afterwards. However the two mitigating factors were:

1. They were scouts (former member myself)
    2. They volunteered

Never ran a 5M before (or indeed in the park at all), I actually run 10Ks when I train so i maybe went off a bit too slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Well the rain held for about 5k of the race today then it came down.. it was lashing by the end but it didnt deter me.
    Felt good all the way around and had plenty in the tank for military road. Sprinted out the last 100 too..

time was 37.16 on my watch. 2.30 quicker than terenure so something is working!!
    hope everyone else had a good one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Pleased to have started the 5M race considering I was with my physio last night due to an ongoing niggle which got worse yesterday ... He worked his magic and I was able to get around in 39'16 so happy with that.
    Now back to slow runs :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

41.01 so about a minute over my PB. Was on track for sub-40 up until the last mile, then got a knot in my stomach that slowed me down a lot.

Overall though, I enjoyed it. Neither hill was as bad as I'd expected and the weather suited me. Well, up until the heavens opened after the end.

Need to work on core strength and hills - this isn't the first time I've had that knot or stitch or whatever it was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This was my first time racing over 5 mile, I have to say I enjoyed it. I went out with the 'elite' sub 40 min wave 1 lads. I think I went out a tad fast and paid for it a bit on the hills. Anyway got around in 37:30 that's the first time in year's bar maybe the bedroom I have been classed as elite...:)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/529980549

1 4:17.5 0.62 6:54
    2 4:06.9 0.62 6:37
    3 4:27.4 0.62 7:10
    4 4:25.6 0.62 7:07
    5 4:56.4 0.62 7:57
    6 4:37.3 0.62 7:26
    7 5:06.0 0.62 8:12
    8 4:45.3 0.62 7:39
    9 :47.4 0.11 6:59

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Well done to everyone who did the 5 mile today

I haven't done anything all week due to various ailments so was a bit concerned about the LSR today

It turns out that was probably to my advantage, I set out at a nice comfortable pace whereas I would normally go out too fast and then end up have to walk a bit, did the 8 mils today with only stops for lights/junctions/little old ladies

Chuffed

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/529879677 (not sure if people can see that but I can change settings if necessary)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SoundoftheSea

Hi everyone, would love to join you all on the road to the DCM 2014.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!) I have done 3/4 half marathons over the last few years PB 2:20
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do) Not really.
    How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. 3/4 days running a week about 10/12 miles. Some gym. Not enough core training so need to improve on that.
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? Dream 4;30 realistic 5;20
    How many days a week can you train? 5
    Why are you running this marathon? I feel its something I can achieve. I need to keep healthy as I have osteoporosis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Some great 5 mile results coming in there! Obviously hard work being done all around... Well done everyone, impressive! Bring on October I say!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

5 miles completed. I have not run all week due to a niggle to my left knee. Started in wave 2 and felt in great shape. Never struggled and was comfortable tackling those hils. Wexford half good training for hill running. Ran the distance in 35.38. Really happy with that time as my goal time was around 38 minutes. Really well organised and fruit and goodie bag went down well. Did not have to shower as the heavens opened up was like a drowned rat getting to the car. Great start to the race series. Looking forward to Frank 10 mile next. Congratulations to all runners who took part and some great times achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Alan30

I know it's a bit early but could anyone recommend a hotel within walking distance of the starting area for the night before the marathon. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭rob w

Alan30 wrote: »
    I know it's a bit early but could anyone recommend a hotel within walking distance of the starting area for the night before the marathon. Thanks.

I stayed in the o'callaghan davenport last year! Right at the finish line and close to the start too! Got a good price too, cant remember how much it was but I remember it being pretty decently priced! Will prob book it again this year!

EDIT: Cant find how much I paid before.....but it definitely wasnt the price they are currently quoting in their website. Keep on eye on prices/shop around!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Alan30

rob w wrote: »
    I stayed in the o'callaghan davenport last year! Right at the finish line and close to the start too! Got a good price too, cant remember how much it was but I remember it being pretty decently priced! Will prob book it again this year!

EDIT: Cant find how much I paid before.....but it definitely wasnt the price they are currently quoting in their website. Keep on eye on prices/shop around!

Thanks for the reply. I might go for jury's in Christchurch or custom house quay both about 2 km for start line. It's about €145 for a family room with breakfast.

Anyone doing the Clontarf Half? Training not going to plan, sinus problems!!!
    Also changed to Asics kayano in January and was going great but getting a lot of leg and foot cramp. I stretch before and after runs and have even resorted to drinking dioralyte to see if its dehydration. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Anyone doing the Clontarf Half? Training not going to plan, sinus problems!!!
    Also changed to Asics kayano in January and was going great but getting a lot of leg and foot cramp. I stretch before and after runs and have even resorted to drinking dioralyte to see if its dehydration. Any suggestions?

What did you run in previous to the Kayanos? Were they the same type of runner i.e neutral or stability? You properly hydrated before you go running also?

Hi tang1, it was another pair of asics cost about €70, first pair of runners and used them for about two years. I do try to drink water throughout the day, possibly not enough (two/three glasses and then 500/1000ml bottle on a good day.Two or three cups of coffee) and then go for a run when I get home from work between 6/7 pm. Got fitted in one of the sports shops for the kayanos. I think I will try one of Ososlo's suggested stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Hi tang1, it was another pair of asics cost about €70, first pair of runners and used them for about two years. I do try to drink water throughout the day, possibly not enough (two/three glasses and then 500/1000ml bottle on a good day.Two or three cups of coffee) and then go for a run when I get home from work between 6/7 pm. Got fitted in one of the sports shops for the kayanos. I think I will try one of Ososlo's suggested stores.

Yeah the shops Ososlo suggested are the best place to get your runners, you maybe running in the wrong type of runner and that could be the cause of your issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Hi all! Back from holidays and I'm sure reality will be quick to sink in. But I did enjoy getting back to running, went out this afternoon for 3 miles.

Didn't pay too much attention to the watch, just ran by feel, wanted to shake the cobwebs out after 2 weeks off. Did the 3 miles in a little over 30 mins. Slotting into week 3 of the HHN2 plan so it's a step back week which is good to help get back into it this week.

Good to see everyone getting on with their plans and some good reports from the race yesterday.

Big day for me today as well as I'm going cold turkey on the one-a-day-magnum classic addiction I developed on holidays :) It wasn't the worst holiday for excess (magnums aside) but I do need to refocus on eating right now I'm back. As other posters had said earlier in the thread I do find being organized and planning out your meals makes things much easier so back to normal with that this week!

3 Recovery miles this morning ...nothing to hectic, but enjoyable none the less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Is anyone trying to reduce shorter distance times now as well?
    I am trying to get my 5k and 10k times down at the moment but trying to keep the marathon in mind as well. As a result I am not following a plan as such for the marathon at the moment.
    Last night I did a lsr of 23km. I used my heart rate as a guide and had an average heart rate of about 150bpm.
    I might go for a 5k easy run later to shake out the legs and do some core strengthening
    I am finding it hard to get my 5k time down to under 19 mins. Perhaps I am not doing enough mileage. I normally do between 30 and 50km a week.
    I have started to do some cycling too. Are people doing cycling for cross training?

Some great racing over the weekend so delighted for those of you who pb'd and are happy with your times. For those of you who aren't, then head, up, dust yourselves down and pick it up again this week with a good positive frame of mind for the upcoming week. I had a terrible race myself this morning so understand how you might feel if it didn't go your way, but all you can do is look ahead to the next one and learn from your mistakes. You learn lots from every single race so look on the positives and each race will go towards making the next one feel easier :)

So, we have a new mileage sheet on the spreadsheet starting tomorrow. Week 2! Great mileage posted by you all last week so keep it up! Lots of people are very far ahead of where they need to be so don't be afraid to step it back a bit with the lsr and weekly mileage if you're feeling tired or maybe mentally need a break.

This week we have some Marathon Pace Miles on the Boards Plan if you're following that one.
    So use the first mile to get comfortable and start out nice and slowly and prepare your body for working a little bit harder. Your marathon pace however, shouldn't feel very hard. You should be working a bit harder than normal alright but you shouldn't be struggling. If you are then step it back a bit. If you're unsure of your marathon pace, then just run at an effort that feels like a little bit more work than your usual easy pace for your lsr but still feels comfortable enough. See Post 2 for further details on running marathon pace and what pace to run if you use a watch to measure your pace. Ask questions if you're still unsure.
    Use the last mile to wind the pace down and run at recovery effort. This gives your legs a chance to cool down gradually rather than stopping to a halt so is better for recovery purposes.
    LSR is up to 7 miles on the Hal Plan and 10 miles on the Boards plan which is a bit of a milestone. Good luck with that one. If you find it mentally hard to tackle that distance, then break it up into 2 x 5 mile runs or 5 x 2 mile runs in your head, and treat yourself to a little sip of water or sports drink at every mile/half mile or something like that.
    Good luck with the week ahead folks. Great going so far.

Is anyone trying to reduce shorter distance times now as well?
    I am trying to get my 5k and 10k times down at the moment but trying to keep the marathon in mind as well. As a result I am not following a plan as such for the marathon at the moment.
    Last night I did a lsr of 23km. I used my heart rate as a guide and had an average heart rate of about 150bpm.
    I might go for a 5k easy run later to shake out the legs and do some core strengthening
    I am finding it hard to get my 5k time down to under 19 mins. Perhaps I am not doing enough mileage. I normally do between 30 and 50km a week.
    I have started to do some cycling too. Are people doing cycling for cross training?

Hi Tiger,
    most people are doing the race series so would be working on 10k times over the next while. You're fine to keep working on the speed side of things as long as you're keeping up the long slow run and gradually progress it and are running it mainly at a nice easy pace along with fitting in some more easy/recovery shorter runs during the week.
    Cycling is a great compliment to your marathon training. It all goes towards making you fitter!
    Are you working off an accurate max hr?
    You could maybe browse a few plans for marathon training. You don't have to follow them to the letter but it might be a good idea to give some structure to your training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

My max heart rate is around 190. Maybe less maybe more. Ill have to test it out on a 5k flat out sometime soon.
    I think my problem now is that I want to race every week chasing those PBs. Given that the body needs rest before and after these races it can eat into the running plan.
    Given that I am still doing my lsr I should be ok though. Last night was my first lsr (over 20k) in a while as I picked up a back injury after my last half marathon.
    I think I was doing my lsr at too fast a pace before, around 160 bpm. I will try to keep it at around 150 from now on. Average pace last night was 5.20 minutes per km.

• Advertisement

I don't think measuring your LSR, or any run purley on HR is a good idea.

Too many external factors can influence your heart rate from the weather to how you feel to how much running you have done recently to how accurate your HR monitor is.

I think monitoring your HR can be hugely beneficial but I would pace myself based purely off heart rate.

That's just me though.

Advertisement