Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Got chafed nipples in the two HMs I did earlier this year. First time was lack of experience, the second time was just not using enough lube...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

If you're totally new to running, and you suddenly think applying Vaseline/Bodyglide is weird, you're gonna get a whole lot weirder

From now on, sleep isn’t just fun, it’s recovery.

Going for a piss isn't just a relief. It’s a chance to check your hydration.

Parks aren’t just for picnics, they’re for barefoot strides.

Food is now evaluated as fuel.

You will have a skewed sense of weather

Your definition of “far” is very different from the non-converted

You'll get dreadfully excited about a new pair of runners

Enjoy the ride :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Fixed the cell colours on Week 2 mileage tracker. Much easier to read now, and yes I have OCD ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    Fixed the cell colours on Week 2 mileage tracker. Much easier to read now, and yes I have OCD ;)

Brilliant thanks Sean. I also have OCD but a poor knowledge of Google Docs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

It's not too late to start training.
    Even thejournal.ie says so :)

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/dublin-marathon-training-1549479-Jul2014/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

frash wrote: »
    It's not too late to start training.
    Even thejournal.ie says so :)

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/dublin-marathon-training-1549479-Jul2014/

Paper never refused ink

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Nice handy 10k done today @ 9:30 min/mi, 2 rest days now for me with the Clontarf half on Saturday.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/533248777

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Good luck to everyone doing the Clontarf Half on Saturday especially if it is your first HM. I'll be marshalling somewhere along the route. I'll wear my Boards T-Shirt.:cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

RedRunner wrote: »
    Good luck to everyone doing the Clontarf Half on Saturday especially if it is your first HM. I'll be marshalling somewhere along the route. I'll wear my Boards T-Shirt.:cool:

I believe its just sold out which is great, I was busy this evening so sent the Mrs down to pick up my race pack. She said the Q was mad, she called me a few names as I told her it would be a quick in and out job...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Looking forward to the race, wont be able to collect my number untill Sat cant get get up to Dublin sooner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Bit cooler out there this morning but still bloody warm

3.5 relaxing-ish miles this morning

Looking forward to the LSR on Saturday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Just filled in tracker for Week 1 - not great mileage but between tooth extraction and weekend in Dublin, didn't get much done. So far so good this week, ran at Club on Monday, 4 miles yesterday. Calves quite tight, had to stop twice to stretch but once I got going it felt great. Doing another 4/5 miles this eve and should be ready for 10miles on Saturday. I think I might take a trip to Amphibian King in Limerick for another pair of trainers and have two on the go.

I usually do my LSR first thing on a Saturday morning on an empty stomach and I've done 10k races before (that start at 10am) on an empty stomach.
    This Saturday I'm doing my first half marathon in Clontarf. It starts at 10am but I'm thinking I'm going to need some breakfast as it could be lunchtime again I finish!
    Any suggestions?

Was thinking some porridge & banana around 7am?

I usually do my LSR first thing on a Saturday morning on an empty stomach and I've done 10k races before (that start at 10am) on an empty stomach.
    This Saturday I'm doing my first half marathon in Clontarf. It starts at 10am but I'm thinking I'm going to need some breakfast as it could be lunchtime again I finish!
    Any suggestions?

Was thinking some porridge & banana around 7am?

Sounds good, is that the latest you can eat at

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Sounds good, is that the latest you can eat at

No - won't be leaving the house until around 8:30 - just thought eating 3 hours before the start was a good time but am open to opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Morning all,
    Sorry I haven't been able to fully all the posts so I do apologise for these questions.
    I have the aim of doing the marathon this year but I'm still confused as to what plan to follow. I have entered the full race series but as yet not the marathon as I wanted to see if I could get my mileage up.
    I had a weeks holidays but the week of going I had managed to run 20 miles the week so was happy. I've downloaded a few of the plans. I have a 2014 plan, Hal Novice 1 and a boards member plan.
    Looking at the boards member plan I can't follow this as I sail on a Tuesday and it also has me running every day which I can't do.
    The Novice one has for this week running 17 miles, this is doable for me at the minute as I did the Irish runner 5 mile on Sat and really hated it but then did 7 miles on Monday evening and enjoyed it and then 3 yesterday morning so can do a long run tomorrow evening.
    The 2014 plan has 23 miles for this week which is a big jump from 17. Is this then the realist plan to follow? Also on this plan it has a recovery run, presume that's a nice easy pace?
    Finally I wish everyone doing the Clontarf half a great race this weekend. That was my first half last year and even in the heatwave I really enjoyed it.
    Thanks,

No - won't be leaving the house until around 8:30 - just thought eating 3 hours before the start was a good time but am open to opinions.

Hi frash
    it really is different for everyone. That's the great thing about all the races you'll do between now and dcm, as you'll find out what does and doesn't work for you for race prep. If your stomach can handle it I'd eat a bit closer to the race. Racing a half marathon is a lot different to a ten k or a long training run. Unless you're very used to racing on empty you'd be better off being well fuelled up before the race. What you suggested sounds perfect. Maybe you could try two hours before the race.
    Best of luck and can't wait to read the race report.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Hi frash
    it really is different for everyone. That's the great thing about all the races you'll do between now and dcm, as you'll find out what does and doesn't work for you for race prep. If your stomach can handle it I'd eat a bit closer to the race. Racing a half marathon is a lot different to a ten k or a long training run. Unless you're very used to racing on empty you'd be better off being well fuelled up before the race. What you suggested sounds perfect. Maybe you could try two hours before the race.
    Best of luck and can't wait to read the race report.

Still have a bit of a niggle in my ankle so not sure how it's going to go.
    According to McMillan I should come in sub 2 hours with 2 mins to spare but McMillan doesn't know about my ankle and neither of us are sure about my stamina.

Still have a bit of a niggle in my ankle so not sure how it's going to go.
    According to McMillan I should come in sub 2 hours with 2 mins to spare but McMillan doesn't know about my ankle and neither of us are sure about my stamina.
    Well maybe consider starting out a little more conservatively and pick it up in second half depending on how you're feeling and how the ankle holds up. Just a suggestion.

Id leave for at least 2 hours before the race but that's me, its really down the individual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Ososlo wrote: »
    Well maybe consider starting out a little more conservatively and pick it up in second half depending on how you're feeling and how the ankle holds up. Just a suggestion.

+1
    An injury at this stage could be a disaster and result in weeks off.

During the 1st few miles you'll be full of adrenaline so may not notice any discomfort - so watch out for it in the 2nd half of the race.

McMillan doesn't know about your ankle, he also doesn't know that part of this race is on a beach and subject to all kinds of freaky weather.

Dont worry about time for this race - (the course has impacted my times on 3 occasions) - I'd be adding on a few mins to what McM has said (he's a conservative b'stard) and also accounting for the sand and possible wind.

Best of luck and I hope the ankle holds up.

aquinn wrote: »
    Morning all,
    Sorry I haven't been able to fully all the posts so I do apologise for these questions.
    I have the aim of doing the marathon this year but I'm still confused as to what plan to follow. I have entered the full race series but as yet not the marathon as I wanted to see if I could get my mileage up.
    I had a weeks holidays but the week of going I had managed to run 20 miles the week so was happy. I've downloaded a few of the plans. I have a 2014 plan, Hal Novice 1 and a boards member plan.
    Looking at the boards member plan I can't follow this as I sail on a Tuesday and it also has me running every day which I can't do.
    The Novice one has for this week running 17 miles, this is doable for me at the minute as I did the Irish runner 5 mile on Sat and really hated it but then did 7 miles on Monday evening and enjoyed it and then 3 yesterday morning so can do a long run tomorrow evening.
    The 2014 plan has 23 miles for this week which is a big jump from 17. Is this then the realist plan to follow? Also on this plan it has a recovery run, presume that's a nice easy pace?
    Finally I wish everyone doing the Clontarf half a great race this weekend. That was my first half last year and even in the heatwave I really enjoyed it.
    Thanks,
    Hi and welcome!
    To be clear, the Boards plan does not require you to run every day. There are optional runs on rest days. Most people will run 5or 6 days max.
    You could easily follow either plan. You can move days around to suit your schedule. You don't have to follow any plan to the letter. Instead of jumping from 17 to 23, you could jump to 20 this week and gradually catch up over a few weeks.
    Recovery runs should be slower than easy. Have a good read of post two on this thread where it's all set out in detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Day 2 for me last night, another 5k following Tuesdays 5k.

It was very warm out and I noticed I was sweating quite a bit, to the point that it was getting into my eyes! Guess I need to grow my eyebrows out a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

Congrats all who enjoyed took part in the 5 miler at the weekend!

Added my miles to the Tracker....

Early days yet yet, really really want to avoid injury this year.

Core-strength class at work has finished for the summer....anybody got recommendations for Early morning/lunchtime sessions in D2?

crisco10 wrote: »
    Congrats all who enjoyed took part in the 5 miler at the weekend!

Added my miles to the Tracker....

Early days yet yet, really really want to avoid injury this year.

Core-strength class at work has finished for the summer....anybody got recommendations for Early morning/lunchtime sessions in D2?

If you ask statss on his log he does a lunchtime one in Dublin 2 and finds it great.
    Your workpkace has core classes!????? Wowz!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Played a game of football last Wednesday evening and got a stamp on my foot. Badly bruised toes which kept me out of running for 6 days. AuldManKing's Training Log title springs to mind.........

Football is off til November!

Ran Tuesday and Wednesday this week and felt great. Out again tonight for a few easy miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    Played a game of football last Wednesday evening and got a stamp on my foot. Badly bruised toes which kept me out of running for 6 days. AuldManKing's Training Log title springs to mind.........

Must be something in the water. I fell on Tuesday morning, hurting two of my left toes. Then I managed to open a door on my foot on Wednesday morning, hurting one of my right toes. I think I need a pair of steel toe capped boots to wear from now until October.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

Hopefully all those with injuries will recover soon.

I haven't run since Tuesday - I'm not sure whether I'm coming down with something or have a bad dose of hayfever or even the dreaded lurgy! I'll rest again today & get out for my LSR tomorrow & do a couple of short easy runs over the weekend. It's amazing how obsessive I'm becoming over a bit of a sore throat now- imagine how precious I'll be come September/October!!!

Best of luck to everyone doing Clontarf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

First real injury concern of training!

Its fair to say it was not one of my feared problem knees or shin splints that have caused the issue, instead it was carrying a crate of beer yesterday which has caused enough pain for a sleepless night last night.

I decided to go out for a planned run still to see if it would affect things ahead of Saturdays 5miler at Clontarf, it was painful, but got easier as i ran.

Will apply ice when home from work and do nothing on Friday and hope rest will have it back to health.

I was hoping if i pushed it that i could go under 48mins, think this may restrict things a little but time will tell.

I'm still going to run it as i need the race practice.

• Advertisement

MKDTH wrote: »
    First real injury concern of training!

Its fair to say it was not one of my feared problem knees or shin splints that have caused the issue, instead it was carrying a crate of beer yesterday which has caused enough pain for a sleepless night last night.

I decided to go out for a planned run still to see if it would affect things ahead of Saturdays 5miler at Clontarf, it was painful, but got easier as i ran.

Will apply ice when home from work and do nothing on Friday and hope rest will have it back to health.

I was hoping if i pushed it that i could go under 48mins, think this may restrict things a little but time will tell.

I'm still going to run it as i need the race practice.
    Please consider not running if you have pain. It's just not worth it and could make a minor problem into a much bigger issue. You have loads of time to practice racing over the coming months. See how you are by tomorrow.
    I see it over and over on boards where people are determined to do well in a race and run on a niggle and usually do great but end up being out for months and not being able to do their goal race. Think of the bigger picture which is dcm.

Advertisement