Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SoundoftheSea

Thanks Ososlo. thought I might get a bit of inside info. I will take a look at the other thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Best of luck everyone... Hope all goes well and all get a nice confidence booster!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Im a little worried that I wont make it in time to collect my race number, is there any chance someone who is doing the race collect my number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Im a little worried that I wont make it in time to collect my race number, is there any chance someone who is doing the race collect my number?

Sorry but friend already collected mine & I'm only on schedule to get there for 9:30 ish.
    Reg closes at 9:30.

Will send you PM with my phone number though in case it gets to 9:25 and you're still not there.

Don't think I will make it, bus will get in at 9, so I will have a have a half hour to get from city centre to the race

• Advertisement

Don't think I will make it, bus will get in at 9, so I will have a have a half hour to get from city centre to the race

Where does the bus come in?
    DART wouldn't take too long

Taxi would be under a tenner from town to Clontarf.
    You'd easily make it in a taxi - only 10 min drive.

frash wrote: »
    Where does the bus come in?
    DART wouldn't take too long

Taxi would be under a tenner from town to Clontarf.
    You'd easily make it in a taxi - only 10 min drive.

The bus comes in at the main bus station

The bus comes in at the main bus station

Taxi outside is your best bet.
    DART would even get you there on time if the timing is right.
    TBH if you mean Busaras you could probably jog & still make it by 9:20

frash wrote: »
    Taxi outside is your best bet.
    DART would even get you there on time if the timing is right.
    TBH if you mean Busaras you could probably jog & still make it by 9:20

Taxi it is then, the other half is with me doubt she will do a warm up.

Made it thanks frash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Time for my first LSR!

Its a 10k for me this morning. I did my first one a few weeks ago but this feels very different, I was apprehensive about the race I did but now I know that this is just week one and there are a lot longer distances to come!

Feels good man! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Best of luck to everyone doing Clontarf today

Did the 10 Mile LSR today, felt pretty good most of the way round, a bit tired towards the end but all good

I am really starting to believe in the plan and think that the Marathon is do-able, great feeling

Incorporated the Phoenix park into my run today, it is beautiful and peaceful that time of day

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/534752272

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Clontarf Half Race Report.

Nothing unusual in the build up to this, up early big bowl of porridge and a couple of bananas. I got to the race starting area about 9 for a 10:00 start, so loads of time to chat to a few mates and do a warm up. Looks like the registration done locally on Wednesday was a very good idea as there did not seem to be big Q's at the registration desk. Their was a good vibe about the starting area and it was setup well.

This was my third half, my first was this race back in November. That day I had no idea what time to aim for I was hoping for under 2 hours so went out with the 1:50 paces, I lost them on the wooden bridge heading back in and ended up doing it in 1:51:58. I just did not have the legs to stay with them and had no real race plan so suffered near the end.

My other half was the laura lynn one in the park back in April, I did that in 1:48:57. So with both of these behind me I decided today to go out with the 1:45 pacers and see how it went. The target was a PB, the closer to 1:45 the better. The heat was unreal, not in a Mediterranean unreal way just more from a surprise as I had got emails from the organizer's saying its going to rain heavy on the day. So I was glad I just happened to have my running shades in my gear bag as the first half of the race is right into the sun.

So we set off in wave 2, the first few KM's were grand my only problem was I was caught on the inside beside the sea wall so not much room to maneuver. I would have been much better off out on the grass on the other side. Coming onto the beach I was slowed up by taken water on at the station and the couple of hundred yards of soft sand, I made the mistake of speeding up to catch the 1:45 group I did this coming off the beach as well. I was using up to much energy basically sprinting to catch the group again, much better off just speeding up slowly to catch them. Another lesion learned, sure that's what these races are for right..?

I was feeling grand with the 1:45 group up until about the 14k mark, coming back onto the beach. I needed to listen to my body, I did not want to burn out before the finish and although I would have loved to stay with the 1:45 group to the end the target was a PB and I did not want to jeopardize this by staying with them for to long. I think this is were having other race experience at this distance kicked in and really helped. I could have stayed with the group for longer and last year I would have but I think that would have been a mistake.

So coming back onto the beach I slowed it down a bit, not much the 1:45 group were going at about 5 min per KM I slowed it down by about 20 seconds a KM. I went form pushing it hard to been comfortable, my projected DCM time (my first marathon) is going to be about 5:30 per KM so today none of my splits after slowing down were above that and I felt really good. I am taken this as a good sign, I hope it is.

So my last few Kim's at what should be PMP were good and reinforced my decision to let the 1:45 group slip away. I even had enough in the tank to bring the pace back up around the 5:00 per KM for the last 3 K, again I hope this is a good sign. So I finished up with a time of 1:46:25 (garmin not official). A PB by over 2 min is not a bad days work. What I have learned from today is race experience is very useful.

Thanks for reading, sorry its a bit long but I got carried away. Feel free to comment on anything especially if you think I did anything wrong.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/534905668

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Very well done on the PB, now that you have that in the bank I'm sure that 1:45 is very achievable for your next half.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I logged 13.1 miles of my own today, mine were of the LSR variety though. 10:09 m/m.

Very enjoyable run, there was wind, rain, then wind and rain, then hot sunshine then more rain. Very nice though. Went up around the Phoenix park. The last mile or 2 was tough enough, really feeling it in the legs.

Pretty happy to get this done today. Now to spend the rest of the day watching sport.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

adrian522 wrote: »
    Very well done on the PB, now that you have that in the bank I'm sure that 1:45 is very achievable for your next half.

Cheers, its actually a bit frustrating to look at the splits and see I lost the 1:45 time on KM's 15,16,17 & 18.

Summary 1:46:25.7 13.12 8:07
    1 4:59.5 0.62
    2 4:53.8 0.62
    3 4:54.6 0.62
    4 4:57.1 0.62
    5 4:51.4 0.62
    6 4:54.4 0.62
    7 5:06.9 0.62
    8 4:54.2 0.62
    9 4:46.9 0.62
    10 4:55.0 0.62
    11 4:59.6 0.62
    12 4:54.9 0.62
    13 4:59.3 0.62
    14 5:01.6 0.62
    15 5:14.7 0.62
    16 5:29.9 0.62
    17 5:19.5 0.62
    18 5:29.6 0.62
    19 5:06.6 0.62
    20 5:05.5 0.62
    21 5:04.5 0.62
    22 :26.4 0.07

Ah you can't be too frustrated after smashing your PB. As I said I think 1:45 is very achievable for your next target HM.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Clontarf Half Race Report.

Nothing unusual in the build up to this, up early big bowl of porridge and a couple of bananas. I got to the race starting area about 9 for a 10:00 start, so loads of time to chat to a few mates and do a warm up. Looks like the registration done locally on Wednesday was a very good idea as there did not seem to be big Q's at the registration desk. Their was a good vibe about the starting area and it was setup well.

This was my third half, my first was this race back in November. That day I had no idea what time to aim for I was hoping for under 2 hours so went out with the 1:50 paces, I lost them on the wooden bridge heading back in and ended up doing it in 1:51:58. I just did not have the legs to stay with them and had no real race plan so suffered near the end.

My other half was the laura lynn one in the park back in April, I did that in 1:48:57. So with both of these behind me I decided today to go out with the 1:45 pacers and see how it went. The target was a PB, the closer to 1:45 the better. The heat was unreal, not in a Mediterranean unreal way just more from a surprise as I had got emails from the organizer's saying its going to rain heavy on the day. So I was glad I just happened to have my running shades in my gear bag as the first half of the race is right into the sun.

So we set off in wave 2, the first few KM's were grand my only problem was I was caught on the inside beside the sea wall so not much room to maneuver. I would have been much better off out on the grass on the other side. Coming onto the beach I was slowed up by taken water on at the station and the couple of hundred yards of soft sand, I made the mistake of speeding up to catch the 1:45 group I did this coming off the beach as well. I was using up to much energy basically sprinting to catch the group again, much better off just speeding up slowly to catch them. Another lesion learned, sure that's what these races are for right..?

I was feeling grand with the 1:45 group up until about the 14k mark, coming back onto the beach. I needed to listen to my body, I did not want to burn out before the finish and although I would have loved to stay with the 1:45 group to the end the target was a PB and I did not want to jeopardize this by staying with them for to long. I think this is were having other race experience at this distance kicked in and really helped. I could have stayed with the group for longer and last year I would have but I think that would have been a mistake.

So coming back onto the beach I slowed it down a bit, not much the 1:45 group were going at about 5 min per KM I slowed it down by about 20 seconds a KM. I went form pushing it hard to been comfortable, my projected DCM time (my first marathon) is going to be about 5:30 per KM so today none of my splits after slowing down were above that and I felt really good. I am taken this as a good sign, I hope it is.

So my last few Kim's at what should be PMP were good and reinforced my decision to let the 1:45 group slip away. I even had enough in the tank to bring the pace back up around the 5:00 per KM for the last 3 K, again I hope this is a good sign. So I finished up with a time of 1:46:25 (garmin not official). A PB by over 2 min is not a bad days work. What I have learned from today is race experience is very useful.

Thanks for reading, sorry its a bit long but I got carried away. Feel free to comment on anything especially if you think I did anything wrong.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/534905668

Well done great result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭rockwell

Well 2 weeks of Hal training done and all going well so far. The advise on slowing down pace on the long runs has been really useful, felt good after the 7 mile today. Had a 5K race last night on the runway in Shannon and did a PB of 21min11s so really delighted with that. Anyone have any experience with pilates? would it be useful addition to training? There is a course starting locally for a few weeks.
    Well done to all who did the half in Clontarf today I've mine own coming in Killarney on the 19th so looking forward to that.

Copy and paste

5/7/2014

Clontarf Half Marathon

The start off the race day always the same little or no sleep, had the normal breakfast porridge with sunflower and pumpkin seeds washed down with orange juice and cup of tea.

The bus times where wrong so worried about getting there on time frantically on boards to see if someone could collect my number, thanks to Frash to could get just in case I didn't make much appreciated. Lucky enough made it thanks to bus driver went out of his way to help me.

Few made it on time got in line and got my number and just soaked up the atmosphere.

Mile 1-6

It was a very warm day the sun always in my face glad I put on sun cream.
    I was a bit away from the 1:50 pacers starting off couldn't get close as it was congested just kept my pace and passed people as the space became available.
    The plan was to keep ahead of the 1:50 pacers. They where to far away so I was not going too blow out trying to catch them. The first water stop didn't see till the last min nearly stopped to get one.
    The beach was hard to run on as the legs where coming from under neat me just kept my pace and carried on. Mentally I needed to pass the 1:50 pacers and eventually did around the 8k mark. Took a gel at half way point 10k split time 50:36.

Mile 6- 13.1

At the half way mark the lead runners where coming back everyone was nursing there water not surprised with the heat, on the return to the beach clouds where dark for the life of me could go any faster, the heavens opened it was refreshing going against the wind. Struggled to open my second gel used my teeth and some shot across the path.

The last few km where tough but had enough to keep the pace the legs where tired screaming at me to stop, was even able to sprint to the finish.

Old pb: 1:59:10
    New pb: 1:47:56

Absolutely delighted with this result, great race couldn't fault any part of it, I was not to impressed with people dumping the bottles on the road any one could have slipped on them.

Might target another half in two months time, with more training could go sub 1:45

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/535012181

• Advertisement

Well done Darren, that's some great running. Great result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well done Darren, that's some great running. Great result.

+1

Well done Darren, and you too Dub13. Good times on a tough course in those conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

I did my first half at Clontarf today.
    Had a target time of 2.15 and did it in 2.21. Not too disappointed with the result, there were times during the race when I thought I wouldn't even make it back to the finish line!
    I started out in the last wave (over 2 hours) and got carried along by the crowd for the first few km. I knew it was too fast and by 5km I was feeling tired already.
    It was very hot, the soft sand was hard to run on and the thoughts of the distance left to do was worrying me.
    At 7.5km the leaders were already on their way back and I was struggling.
    Had to walk at 10km for a short time and at this point I decided not to bother with the time and to just enjoy the run. Started off again much slower and before I knew it, I was at the half way point and heading back.
    It started to rain then but it was actually nice, better than the direct sun. Back onto the beach, I walked at the last stretch of soft sand.
    I picked up the pace in the last few kms, wouldn't say I was comfortable but I was definitely feeling a million times better than earlier on.
    No better feeling than seeing that finish line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Murph_D wrote: »
    +1

Well done Darren, and you too Dub13. Good times on a tough course in those conditions.

Absolutely! Delighted for both of you! Brilliant times and great race experiences for you. It'll be exciting to see what both of you can pull out of the bag if you're doing another half before the big one on a more forgiving course. I predict great things:D

gingersnap wrote: »
    I did my first half at Clontarf today.
    Had a target time of 2.15 and did it in 2.21. Not too disappointed with the result, there were times during the race when I thought I wouldn't even make it back to the finish line!
    I started out in the last wave (over 2 hours) and got carried along by the crowd for the first few km. I knew it was too fast and by 5km I was feeling tired already.
    It was very hot, the soft sand was hard to run on and the thoughts of the distance left to do was worrying me.
    At 7.5km the leaders were already on their way back and I was struggling.
    Had to walk at 10km for a short time and at this point I decided not to bother with the time and to just enjoy the run. Started off again much slower and before I knew it, I was at the half way point and heading back.
    It started to rain then but it was actually nice, better than the direct sun. Back onto the beach, I walked at the last stretch of soft sand.
    I picked up the pace in the last few kms, wouldn't say I was comfortable but I was definitely feeling a million times better than earlier on.
    No better feeling than seeing that finish line!
    Fair play to you gingersnap and not too far off your target time. You'd have easily achieved it on a better course. You'll have learned a lot about race strategy from today (going out too fast and getting carried along by the crowd) so all in all a great positive experience for you. Fair play for plugging on with it when the going got tough. Some of us have been known to bow out gracefully when things aren't going our way:o but you showed great strength of character to keep going and that'll stand to you for the big one.
    Well done:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Again on the whole pace thing...

Does your planned marathon pace change during training schedule or is the idea to pick a pace now and go with it for duration of the plan?

Very confusing how you're supposed to figure out marathon pace. Ok I could base it off a half marathon time now but by September my time could get a few minutes better. Is the idea to amend it ongoing based on training times?

LaHaine wrote: »
    Again on the whole pace thing...

Does your planned marathon pace change during training schedule or is the idea to pick a pace now and go with it for duration of the plan?

Very confusing how you're supposed to figure out marathon pace. Ok I could base it off a half marathon time now but by September my time could get a few minutes better. Is the idea to amend it ongoing based on training times?

Yep absolutely, amend it as you go along and improve. Use a recent half marathon time to work it out for now. In all honesty, you won't really know what marathon pace you might be capable of until September. Then you can start to really nail it down. For now run mp at a little harder effort than your easy runs. A pace you feel you could sustain for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Ososlo wrote: »
    Yep absolutely, amend it as you go along and improve. Use a recent half marathon time to work it out for now. In all honesty, you won't really know what marathon pace you might be capable of until September. Then you can start to really nail it down. For now run mp at a little harder effort than your easy runs. A pace you feel you could sustain for a few hours.

Osoclever!! Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Well done all who raced in the micro-climate that is Clontarf.

Its a very tough course and no doubt you experienced 4 seasons in 1 race - what ever your time was today, you can probably take some minutes of that on a normal course - with the weather and the sand.

Hopefully you all 'enjoyed' it :) - and it gave you an experience for what running a long race is all about.

For most of you, this race will help decide what pace to do your marathon at - so all your long runs and easy runs can be better calculated from this race.

Remember though, marathon pace is easier than half marathon pace - the DCM course will be easier than the clontarf curse course - we're only the 5th July :)

Plenty of time to go to refine your speed, focus on your weaknesses, know your strengths and develop the stamina for the 26.2

• Advertisement

rockwell wrote: »
    Well 2 weeks of Hal training done and all going well so far. The advise on slowing down pace on the long runs has been really useful, felt good after the 7 mile today. Had a 5K race last night on the runway in Shannon and did a PB of 21min11s so really delighted with that. Anyone have any experience with pilates? would it be useful addition to training? There is a course starting locally for a few weeks.
    Well done to all who did the half in Clontarf today I've mine own coming in Killarney on the 19th so looking forward to that.

Great going on the 5k pb! Super stuff!
    Delighted to hear that you're slowing the longer runs down. You'll enjoy them SO much more that way and you have to enjoy the majority of your running to ensure that you'll stick with it.
    Personally I don't do pilates but lots of boardsies do so hopefully they'll pop in with their experiences.

Advertisement