Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Ososlo wrote: »
    You're way too fast for me to be giving you advice:D I'll let AMK look after you;)
    Sounds like you know what you're about. I think the general consensus is to run at about 75% of max hr for the lsr.
    I ran all my lsrs at 50bpm slower than max and never found any run up to 21 miles too taxing and didn't get any injuries so that approach certainly worked for me.
    You should really look at a plan as you might get the most out of your training if you are following some structure and some marathon pace work in your long run might be beneficial to you.

I'll get to it, but it could be Tonight or Monday.
    Tigerandahalf; when was your 92 min HM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Well did my 9.55 miles this morning. I had planned to get out yesterday morning but the Gods conspired against me.

I mostly run in the mornings, empty, but today because it was a longish run, I had my porridge first, waited 90mins or so then took off.

I hated every minute of it, apart from at about 6 miles when I met a friend going the other way and I stopped for a chat. :o I felt very sluggish and my brain kept telling me to stop. Not sure if it was the breakfast first, I might go back to having my breakfast after my runs.

Anyway, not going to club tomorrow so I'll do a recovery run then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Great to see the race reports from yesterday, well done all.

Week 3 done for myself, a step back week, 19 miles total. Sun - 3 miles, Mon - 5 mile pace, Tues - rest, Wed - casual football kickabout, Thurs - rest, Fri - 8 mile LSR and Sat - 3 mile recovery.

I've been interested to see the question of pace times come up as it's something I've been thinking about myself lately. Still early days so not getting too caught up with it yet. But on my LSR on Friday I just couldn't seem to slow the pace down (relatively of course....by my standards :) ) based on my previous HM times I have a dream/realistic finishing times and have roughly worked out my training run paces accordingly. I know I can run quicker than those over shorter distances but as the marathon is the main thing this year that's my focus, not necessarily PB-ing my 10k time.

So my LSR ended up being run closer to my PMP and my pace run this week was even quicker again. And I know.....SLOW SLOW SLOW down....all through the runs I was mentally chastising myself like a bold child thinking you're gonna be in trouble with ososlo and everyone else :) and I was watching the watch trying to keep the pace slow as planned but as soon as I took my eye off it it didn't seem to work and each mile came out consistently around the same time. I was relatively comfortable doing it though - I even tried singing along with my music to test the conversation ability. I could sing along so it may have also just proved that I haven't a note in my head and I was a crazy person wailing away to myself on military hill in the Park.

I was better at managing the slower pace on the LSRs before hols so maybe it's a case of fresh legs after the holiday and when the LSR kicks back up to 11 miles next week I'll be better at going slower.

Anyway that's my word vomit thought process for now and something I'll be trying to keep an eye over the next few weeks. I'm sure I'll have some specific questions on it soon enough but if anything jumps out please comment away! Sorry for it being so wafflly, trying to just get my own thoughts on it in order so I know what I need to consider etc.

Actually quick question - when marathon training, as so many runs are done slow and the marathon and its time is often set as the main goal is it normal for other race times to not necessarily improve or would they? Speaking for a novice perspective of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

laura_ac3 wrote: »

I've been interested to see the question of pace times come up as it's something I've been thinking about myself lately. Still early days so not getting too caught up with it yet. But on my LSR on Friday I just couldn't seem to slow the pace down (relatively of course....by my standards :) ) based on my previous HM times I have a dream/realistic finishing times and have roughly worked out my training run paces accordingly. I know I can run quicker than those over shorter distances but as the marathon is the main thing this year that's my focus, not necessarily PB-ing my 10k time.

So my LSR ended up being run closer to my PMP and my pace run this week was even quicker again. And I know.....SLOW SLOW SLOW down....all through the runs I was mentally chastising myself like a bold child thinking you're gonna be in trouble with ososlo and everyone else :) and I was watching the watch trying to keep the pace slow as planned but as soon as I took my eye off it it didn't seem to work and each mile came out consistently around the same time. I was relatively comfortable doing it though - I even tried singing along with my music to test the conversation ability. I could sing along so it may have also just proved that I haven't a note in my head and I was a crazy person wailing away to myself on military hill in the Park.

I was better at managing the slower pace on the LSRs before hols so maybe it's a case of fresh legs after the holiday and when the LSR kicks back up to 11 miles next week I'll be better at going slower.

Anyway that's my word vomit thought process for now and something I'll be trying to keep an eye over the next few weeks. I'm sure I'll have some specific questions on it soon enough but if anything jumps out please comment away! Sorry for it being so wafflly, trying to just get my own thoughts on it in order so I know what I need to consider etc.

Actually quick question - when marathon training, as so many runs are done slow and the marathon and its time is often set as the main goal is it normal for other race times to not necessarily improve or would they? Speaking for a novice perspective of course!

Maybe you're just a lot fitter now than you were and are capable of a faster marathon pace? It's really hard to tell. Just keep on using the 'conversation test' and you'll be fine and run to feel. You should feel you have a bit left in the tank at the end of the longer runs and not be dying on your feet.

I found last year that in any shorter races I did in the build up to the marathon, that my times did improve. Not vastly but they were coming down. The very fact that you're running a lot more than you ever did before will mean you're getting fitter, and fitter = faster!
    You're doing great. Well done on the week.

AK333 wrote: »
    Well did my 9.55 miles this morning. I had planned to get out yesterday morning but the Gods conspired against me.

I mostly run in the mornings, empty, but today because it was a longish run, I had my porridge first, waited 90mins or so then took off.

I hated every minute of it, apart from at about 6 miles when I met a friend going the other way and I stopped for a chat. :o I felt very sluggish and my brain kept telling me to stop. Not sure if it was the breakfast first, I might go back to having my breakfast after my runs.

Anyway, not going to club tomorrow so I'll do a recovery run then.

Sorry to hear that. It could have been for many reasons (tiredness etc) or simply just a bad day. We all have them now and again. It could be the food so great that you've plenty of time to start experimenting now with this. You will need to get your body used to running while it's well fuelled up for the big day though so maybe leave more time between breakfast and eating the next time.
    Well done on getting it done though and hope you recover well.

• Advertisement

frash wrote: »
    Well I did Clontarf Half yesterday and the ankle held up!

Started off at a pace of around 9:30 for the first 8 miles.
    Began to feel a bit of tiredness coming on then so took a gel but didn't feel much of an effect apart from gettinga stitch .
    As I turned onto the beach it started to lash & I think that helped me cool down a bit but by the end of the beach my pace had dropped to just over 11 mins/mile :(.
    Picked it up a bit for the last 2 miles to around 10:40 but that was all I could muster.

Finished in 2:10.

I guess it's the stamina I need to work on which will hopefully come with more LSRs?

Muscle in the ankle very sore since (RHS) and the pain in the ball of my foot is back on the LHS so will be making an appointment to see someone again about that tomorrow.

Yesterday will have been a great learning experience for you. That course seems to be pretty tough from what I've read so you'd do even better on a normal road race.
    Yes you'll gain so much more stamina doing the lsrs as they get longer and longer.
    Good luck with the physio and hope you're not in too much pain with it. Let us know how appointment goes tomorrow.
    Well done yesterday. That's a very good time on that course.

Yesterday will have been a great learning experience for you. That course seems to be pretty tough from what I've read so you'd do even better on a normal road race.
    Yes you'll gain so much more stamina doing the lsrs as they get longer and longer.
    Good luck with the physio and hope you're not in too much pain with it. Let us know how appointment goes tomorrow.
    Well done yesterday. That's a very good time on that course.

Having read a few reports on the race, it seems to be a consistent theme about times slowing on the beach return. Having run the course myself last year my toughest part was coming back off it onto the bull wall. If the wind is against you too it's even worse!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I did a 6k recovery run this morning @ 10:31 min/mi, feeling much better after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I even tried singing along with my music to test the conversation ability. I could sing along so it may have also just proved that I haven't a note in my head and I was a crazy person wailing away to myself on military hill in the Park.

That made me laugh. I was running around last night debating with myself, out loud, the merits or otherwise of each remaining county in the World Cup winning the tournament - getting funny looks from people I met and even people on the other side of the street.

Even if I do say so myself, I'm a better pundit than Giles, Dunphy, Brady etc though :D

Laois_Man wrote: »
    That made me laugh. I was running around last night debating with myself, out loud, the merits or otherwise of each remaining county in the World Cup winning the tournament - getting funny looks from people I met and even people on the other side of the street.

Even if I do say so myself, I'm a better pundit than Giles, Dunphy, Brady etc though :D

At least it's not just me so! Don't keep us in suspense...who did you go with in the end??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

At least it's not just me so! Don't keep us in suspense...who did you go with in the end??

Well 2 things. I decided The Neatherlands are the team who most deserve it. Not just because of this tournament but also because they've lost the final 3 times and never won it p

But I did that LSR during the entirety of their quarter final against Costa Rica and I expected to arrive home to discover they'd won by 2 or 3 goals and I instead found a penalty shootout about to start. So what do I know??

I think I need o go out on a 85 mile LSR tonight so I can have another longer word with myself again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Paulq64

Hi,
    I'm a newbie.. Sorry if I'm butting in
    Ran my 1st half-marathon at clontarf yesterday
    I'm pretty tired today
    My question is
    How many days of rest is recommended after a half-marathon ?
    As I want to get moving on a marathon plan ASAP

About me..

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    I started this year doing park runs
    5k -19:28
    10k - 40:18
    Hm - 1:30:26 yesterday

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Usually 5 runs a week

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Complete Dcm , hopefully under 3.30

How many days a week can you train?
    4 to 6

Why are you running this marathon?
    I'll be fifty this year and the doctor advised me to get some exercise

Maybe you're just a lot fitter now than you were and are capable of a faster marathon pace? It's really hard to tell. Just keep on using the 'conversation test' and you'll be fine and run to feel. You should feel you have a bit left in the tank at the end of the longer runs and not be dying on your feet.

I found last year that in any shorter races I did in the build up to the marathon, that my times did improve. Not vastly but they were coming down. The very fact that you're running a lot more than you ever did before will mean you're getting fitter, and fitter = faster!
    You're doing great. Well done on the week.

Thanks ososlo. I will be doing some LSRs with a friend soon so that will be a good test as to how it's going - better than my best x-factor impression anyway :) I suppose as the training steps up I'll get a better understanding of where I'm at and what I'm capable of and I'm also signed up for the race series. I'll see how the next few weeks go and drop back with some specific questions on my pacing if needs be.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Well 2 things. I decided The Neatherlands are the team who most deserve it. Not just because of this tournament but also because they've lost the final 3 times and never won it p

But I did that LSR during the entirety of their quarter final against Costa Rica and I expected to arrive home to discover they'd won by 2 or 3 goals and I instead found a penalty shootout about to start. So what do I know??

I think I need o go out on a 85 mile LSR tonight so I can have another longer word with myself again :D

Well they did win and through to the next round so you weren't off the wall!

Paulq64 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm a newbie.. Sorry if I'm butting in
    Ran my 1st half-marathon at clontarf yesterday
    I'm pretty tired today
    My question is
    How many days of rest is recommended after a half-marathon ?
    As I want to get moving on a marathon plan ASAP

Hey Paul and congrats on yesterday. Damn fine time there and you deserve a rest after that performance!
    However, you don't have to rest completely to help your body recover. A lot of people (myself included) advocate active recovery after a race, so no harm getting out this evening or tomorrow for a few very easy miles, preferably on grass or some forgiving surface. By all means rest completely today if you want but maybe try to get out tomorrow for even a 30 min recovery effort run. Of course everyone recovers differently but most people would be back to normal training within 5 days to a week. See how you go this week but I definitely wouldn't do anything more than easy paced short runs until Friday or so. You might be ok to do a longer run then on the weekend but don't force anything if it doesn't feel right.
    Welcome to the thread! Do you know what plan you'll be following?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Got home from holidays to find my road bike stolen from the shed. That may just go some way towards deciding whether I am a triathlete or a runner! :)

Well done on the recent LSR's and race times by the way folks, some impressive runs to kick off the road to DCM14.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

After a couple of nights of poor sleep I decided to treat myself to a lie in this morning instead of the 8 am run as originally planned. While the lie in was thoroughly enjoyed, in the interests of quality family time (walking & cajoling some members up Kippure mountain) it meant I have not run today & am feeling guilty. Note to self - at weekends do the run early so nothing else can get in the way. Of course I could go out now but my Achilles is feeling tight so I might be better off resting it till tomorrow.

Well done to everyone who participated in Clontarf yesterday!

And so on to week 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Paulq64

hi Ososlo,
    thanks for the encouraging words
    I got the reply i wanted to hear - "Active Recovery"
    so i'll run easy tomorrow.
    My plan so far has been to run easy Monday to Friday and try and fit in a park run on Saturday, i think i've done 6 now and that's my speed
    training and do a long slow run on the Sunday.
    But i think i need to start doing intervals (to get to the next step)
    Also i'll continue doing the vast majority of my running on grass which is much kinder to the joints as all i have is minor niggles due to my reluctance to stretch

So i'm very open to any plans out there - i guess i want something like the 16 week plan for competitive beginners :)
    (Btw...
    that sand on the beach was a real killer on the way back and i lost touch with the 1.30 pacers who just strolled through the run)

over and out

Paulq64 wrote: »
    hi Ososlo,
    thanks for the encouraging words
    I got the reply i wanted to hear - "Active Recovery"
    so i'll run easy tomorrow.
    My plan so far has been to run easy Monday to Friday and try and fit in a park run on Saturday, i think i've done 6 now and that's my speed
    training and do a long slow run on the Sunday.
    But i think i need to start doing intervals (to get to the next step)
    Also i'll continue doing the vast majority of my running on grass which is much kinder to the joints as all i have is minor niggles due to my reluctance to stretch

So i'm very open to any plans out there - i guess i want something like the 16 week plan for competitive beginners :)
    (Btw...
    that sand on the beach was a real killer on the way back and i lost touch with the 1.30 pacers who just strolled through the run)

over and out
    ha ha yeah 'active recovery' is what every addicted runner wants to hear;)

I really don't think it's a good idea to be doing a 5k race on a Saturday followed by a long slow run Sunday. That's two tough workouts back to back and is a bit of a recipe for injury to be honest. If you want to do the Parkrun and race it then I'd leave at least 2 days between it and the long run. You have to give the body a chance to recover properly. This is even more important as the lsr gets longer. You could do the Parkrun if you moved the lsr to mid-week perhaps.
    There's a link to our Boards plan on page one but you might want something with more speed work.
    Here's a link to the tracker if you want to add your name. Just put it in at the end of week 3. Same goes for anyone else who hasn't added their name yet.
    There are a few here following the BAA plan if you want to do a bit of research into that and it's discussed a bit a few pages back.

ha ha yeah 'active recovery' is what every addicted runner wants to hear;)

I really don't think it's a good idea to be doing a 5k race on a Saturday followed by a long slow run Sunday. That's two tough workouts back to back and is a bit of a recipe for injury to be honest. If you want to do the Parkrun and race it then I'd leave at least 2 days between it and the long run. You have to give the body a chance to recover properly. This is even more important as the lsr gets longer. You could do the Parkrun if you moved the lsr to mid-week perhaps.
    There's a link to our Boards plan on page one but you might want something with more speed work.
    Here's a link to the tracker if you want to add your name. Just put it in at the end of week 3. Same goes for anyone else who hasn't added their name yet.
    There are a few here following the BAA plan if you want to do a bit of research into that and it's discussed a bit a few pages back.

good point Ososlo - I'll repeat what I've said numerous times (apologies).

The HM is a monster session and requires good recovery from it - this differs from ability to ability. (end apology :) )

For the park run at the week end - maybe dont do it all out - if you want to use it as a speed session, see how good you are at running 5k at 10k pace or 5k at 10 secs slower than 10k pace (tempo session) - that would probably serve you better than racing it all out.

It takes commitment and 'the long term view' to run a park run like that - at times its more difficult than racing it all out - but the benefits serve your physiological adaptations better - and puts you in a better place for a long run the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Big Mom

Hi All, well I have decided to join in for a bit of advice and bit of support over the next 16 weeks. I ran my first DCM last year in 4.17 and loved every minute of it.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? Yes PBs as follows:
    10km 47.40 - 2012
    Wexford Half Marathon 2013 1.47.42
    Dungarvan 10 mile 2014 - 1.20

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? No

How much training do you currently do ?
    I generally train five days a week ranging from bootcamp, spinning and running. For the past three weeks, I have mainly been running four days and spinning one day a week.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? Really want to break four hours this year so would be happy with 3.59.59!!!

How many days a week can you train? 5 days a week.

Why are you running this marathon? Want to break 4 hours that the aim.

A friend of mine is a Personal Trainer and has run many marathons, triathlons, etc. and he has done up a plan for me which I have been following for the past few weeks.

Welcome Big Mom - you've a great set of races there. Ososlo will be happy with another joining our nice big group.
    Nice training regime too.

Ososlo will be happy with another joining our nice big group.
    Huge group this year:eek: Much bigger than last year.
    It's all good:D More the merrier

Great week just gone folks. Some brilliant racing and loved reading the reports. Manage the recovery well and you'll be flying. Keep reminding yourselves that getting to the start line in a fit and healthy state is half the battle so no heroics until the body is ready for it.
    A few new bodies with us so don't forget to add your name to the spreadsheet so you can start tracking your mileage on the road to DCM.
    Good luck for Week 3!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Huge group this year:eek: Much bigger than last year.
    It's all good:D More the merrier

Great week just gone folks. Some brilliant racing and loved reading the reports. Manage the recovery well and you'll be flying. Keep reminding yourselves that getting to the start line in a fit and healthy state is half the battle so no heroics until the body is ready for it.
    A few new bodies with us so don't forget to add your name to the spreadsheet so you can start tracking your mileage on the road to DCM.
    Good luck for Week 3!!!!

I was just thinking that, seems everytime I pop in here there's a dozen more joined the group :D They're in good hands though, If ye all listen to Ososlo ye will be in good shape and well prepared for the big day. Enjoy every friggin minute of it :)

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/10-marathon-day-mistakes

Things to think about, but not too much.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I want to make sure I recover well so wont be doing any club sessions this week, could I replace these with easy runs or maybe cycle instead?

When should I return to the clubs marathon plan?

The clubs plan over the next two weeks is targeting Fingal 10k which I wont be doing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'd say talk to the coach, (s)he'd be in the best position to advise you but you would certainly need a few easy days this week I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/10-marathon-day-mistakes

Things to think about, but not too much.......

Thanks AMK! made an interesting commute read this morning, a few more things to worry think about there :)

Did 12 miles LSR yesterday which went reasonably well, had company for 5 miles which was great, struggled a bit in the last 2 miles, lessons learned 1) take a gel no matter how good your feeling at the halfway point..... 2) purchase bodyglide!! The arm band for my phone has left some nasty welts on my arm.... I don't often listen to music but thought I might need a boost for the 2nd half of the run, will be using a belt in future I think. This weeks running is possibly the longest mileage I've ever done in one week and I survived YAY! Well done to everyone who ran clontarf on Saturday, have done a 10k on that route before and the beach is hard work.

Darren 83 wrote: »
    I want to make sure I recover well so wont be doing any club sessions this week, could I replace these with easy runs or maybe cycle instead?

When should I return to the clubs marathon plan?

The clubs plan over the next two weeks is targeting Fingal 10k which I wont be doing.

Sounds perfect for recovery this week.

You should be ok by weekend but play it by ear and don't force sessions if the legs still hurt a lot.

maybe speak to the coach about whether you should do the sessions as you're not doing the race. He might suggest something different for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Week 2 was good with a total of 27miles. Went out yesterday for a projected 10 miles but some wrong turns dragged it out to 13.6. Feeling the extra few miles today!
    In good news though i was only 4 minutes slower than my official half marathon time from last year. Did not feel like i was pushing it at any stage and was comfortable all the way!

Rest up today and start again tomorrow with week 3. Flying in now!

Advertisement