Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Hello!
    Fingal 10km done in 47.46. DELIGHTED as I was dreading it. So pleased.
    I didn't add the 2 miles before or after to make it my LSR this week, none of that done but so happy with that time. Last 10km in April in 50.41.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Race Series 10k done in 50:48 a 4:30 PB.

Pretty happy with that, race report to follow after the golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

50.29 which is a new PB for me :)

It's my first PB in quite a while so I'm delighted to see that my training is starting to have an impact. Hope I can start a streak going and beat my time in the 10 miler next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Congrats to all the fingal finishers today.. My prep for this was bad seeing I was out last night for a birthday..

Did a 1km warm up and was out of breath so my hopes were gone already.. However once I got going i plodded along at 4.45km speed and was still going OK after a few km so decided to keep on it.. Was all good except for 8/9km where I dropped the pace a little but came in at 48.02 so delighted.. New pb!!

Last 3 10k..
    Fingal 2013 - 51.29
    Samsung 2014 - 50.20
    Fingal 2014 - 48.02

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Well done folks. Always nice to see your efforts pay off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Race report taken from the blog, sorry if it's a bit of an essay!

I'm an early riser so woke before the 7am alarm called me from my slumber, I felt good despite a very un-race like preparation of a large BBQ dinner the night before. But no going back now, I debated if having a shower was required given the exertions ahead of my but my fellow competitors will be pleased to hear that hygene & the waking effects of hot water won out!

Porridge, oj & a banana went down well and I was off. I like being early and arrived in the Pavillions shortly after 8 and decided I need to relax a little for my next race given I was 1st into the car park. Contacts in, number on and a last toilet stop in the shopping centre and I headed off to scout the race start at about 9am.

15min warm up jog with a few strides thrown in, some stretches and into the corral at 9.40 about 50yds from the start line.

Off we go, I started on race strategy 'A' (all the moons & stars aligning and everything goes right) of 8min mile but with an 8:08 mile1 and 8:06 mile2 I quickly settled into my 'perfectly acceptable strategy B' of 8:10. I was happy to change to the slower time and glad that I worked it out early enough amd had the ability to adapt. I didn't like the motorway section, there was little to do but think & run and no matter how gentle they were, I don't like hills!

The turn onto the smaller back roads are much more my thing and I felt more at home on the terrain here. I decided to skip the water station, I didn't need water and was being passed rapidly, an 8:19 mile3 was probably the reason! I had focused on one specific runner ahead of me, she was about my pace but was weaving a lot, it kept me entertained but she was obviously slower than I anticipated!

Half way point passed and I knew I was on to a PB, I just wanted to break 51min so had to keep the pressure on. 8:14 for mile4 and my mind was getting used to the pace (which was fast for me!) I tend to try to work my brain to help tick off the miles and thinking ahead to DCM14 and paces / times / paces kept me well occupied. While I very much appreciate the effort, I wasn't 100% happy with the fire brigade shower to be honest, it was a decent idea but personally I wasn't hot enough to need it and instead of a nice mist, I got soaked. Maybe I'm just being grumpy!

Feeling tired now and looking forward to the finish, in fact, counting down the yards on each step I took. The bend around the corner wasn't appreciated and I was really working hard to keep going, I knew I'd finish, just how fast was the concern! 8:09 mile5 was a surprise and spurred me on. I was changing from being passed to being the passer and every shirt ahead became a target. The mood changed to focusing on leaving it all out on the course and I was off.

Really tired legs now, all I wanted to do was walk but 8:18 for mile 6 and we turned the corner for home. The sight of the finish gantry was the best thing of the day and a downhill finish is just a wonderful idea! Last bit of the race done in 1:36 (6:54pace)

Nearly saw my porridge again but didn't, delighted on knocking more than 4:30 off my last 10k and there's a couple of seconds to try to get for the Dun Laoghaire 10k in a few weeks.

Chip time - 50:52
    Garmin time - 50:49
    Avg pace - 8:09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great going in Swords this morning with numerous pbs being recorded! Loving the reports! Keep them coming. Well done everyone and if you didn't get what you set out to do, don't despair, you've ages to go yet to make massive improvements between now and the big one.

Easy on the effort/pace for the next few days and don't do anything harder until Wednesday or Thursday at least. If you're following the Boards Plan you only have strides on Wednesday this week as part of your speed work so you could always leave them until Thursday's run if you don't feel fully recovered.

Long runs getting longer now folks and as the weather's to be fairly warm you're going to be out for long periods of time so think about how best to avoid getting sunburnt:

Wear sunscreen with at least 30 SPF and if possible, reapply every hour (do loops back to car/home);
    Run early or late in the day when possible;
    Wear a hat so your scalp doesn't get burned and wear glasses to protect more of your face and your eyes;

Think 'Pale and Interesting':D

Keep logging the training runs and have a great week! Week 5 up on tracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Well done to all who ran in the 10k today - it was a warm/humid day and you'll be running a whole lot quicker today than at DCM.

Next race up (I think its on the plan but need to check) could be the Frank Duffy 10 mile. This is a real good race that has a good mix of endurance and speed - specifically endurance. Running 10 miles at a 'good pace' is a good challenge to any novice.

Like myself, some people may choose to go on holiday in July/August and worry about training or not training.
    Here's some reading homework.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/how-to-stay-fit-on-vacation

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/how-to-stay-on-track-with-your-training-during-vacation

http://www.upandrunningonline.org/blog/2014/06/5-tips-for-running-while-youre-on-vacation/

How much fitness do you loose in 2 weeks??

http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/losing-running-fitness/

Another good read with good links:
    http://www.shutupandrun.net/2014/02/how-fast-do-runners-lose-fitness.html

Like myself, some people may choose to go on holiday in July/August and worry about training or not training.
    ]

Holidays:confused: Who said anyone was allowed go on holidays before October 27th:confused: Not part of any plan around these parts:D

Ok, if you have to then:rolleyes: Just don't forget the bloody runners:pac:

Some great links there AMK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭rockwell

It was an early start, up at six to get ready and have the porridge. We were all being bussed from outside the Gleneagle Hotel @ 7.30 up to Molls Gap(where the race was starting). My sister and her husband were also doing the race so had a bit of company and took my mind of the race. We were running from Molls back down into Killarney. The route is mostly downhill and flat sections or so I thought, but more of that later. It was a cool damp foggy morning up there but as more of the buses arrived the atmosphere was building and the DJ was blasting out the tunes. Race kick off was 8.45 so started the warm up and stretching and was feeling good. I had decided that I was going to follow a group of pacers so that I could experience an even running pace. Having done limerick half in May in 1h45m50 I had been in two minds as to whether to go out with the 1h50 or 1h40 groups. In the end I decided on the 1h40 as I felt it would push me a bit. So lined up behind the pacers and we were off. It wasn’t crowded and I felt happy with the pace and was running though a mental checklist of things such as how’s ur breathing, posture and trying to banish those negative thoughts of will I ever make it to the end! They had the road closed so we had free reign over our location on the road. Water stations were every 3 miles so decided to take a gel on approach to the first and washed down with water. As the morning progressed you could feel it getting a bit humid even though it was still cloudy.
    Some things you can’t prepare for -at one stage early on a runner pasted me with such a bad BO smell that it made me gag, thankfully he stayed well ahead of the group.
    It was around 7mile mark that we hit an incline and I felt myself slow and the pace group pulled ahead but I told myself that this was fine that I was still doing a good pace and just to save a bit for the last two miles and give it my all.

Just before Torc waterfall (about 4 miles out) we branched off the main road into the national park heading for Muckross House. Mile 9 water station took another gel and water could feel the legs tiring but knew I was nearing the end and was planning to put in a good effort into a strong finish. The next 3 miles were the killer. There were MANY steep little hills that were SO painful on the legs it slowed me right down. I was down to 11.30min pace at one stage. At the 12 mi water station they also had Lucozade so took a cup of that with some water and pushed on. I was never so glad to hear the 13mile beep on the garmin and I could see the finish line. What was strange was that there were very few supporters along the route at the end. I remember from Limerick the crowds cheering everyone on and it does give you a boost when u need it most. It was at about last 200 meters that you had family and friends, got a high 5 from my 4yr and finished with a simile  It was still a new pb of 1:45:17 about 30sec off my Limerick time. Average pace over all was 8.00min mi. So still very happy and there is a lot to build on for Oct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Ososlo wrote: »
    Holidays:confused: Who said anyone was allowed go on holidays before October 27th:confused: Not part of any plan around these parts:D

Ok, if you have to then:rolleyes: Just don't forget the bloody runners:pac:

Some great links there AMK!

:o Is it wrong that I have postponed holidays I was thinking of taking in September until November as I couldn't bring myself to muck up the plan :o

:o Is it wrong that I have postponed holidays I was thinking of taking in September until November as I couldn't bring myself to muck up the plan :o

ha ha you're a man after my own heart:pac: That's exactly what I did last year! We're not crazy. Just dedicated;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭thehookster

Well done to everybody on all the runs at the weekend, loved reading all the reports.
    I had a decent weekend, had 3 mile fartlek run friday which went grand....getting better most weeks it seems. Saturday i had promised a friend i would cycle with him for a while as he was doing a huge cycle himself and wanted company for part of it, so i did roughly 55km with him.......felt tired after it and started to worry about Sundays Lsr so made sure and got an early night so i was well rested.
    i had 11 miles to do yesterday so again i went down to the local group run and did some of it with them.......went off a little to fast for me but actually felt comfortable after a few miles, i had company up to mile 5 then was on my own......slowed a bit for mile 6 and 7 for some reason....i was sure i overdid it at the start and was starting to suffer but thankfully it was only a minor blip....maybe i got used to others driving me on and struggled a little after they left. Mile 8 to 11 were decent, felt good and was delighted i as able to pick up the pace again after slowing for two.
    Was due to do 3 mile run tonight but might postpone until tomorrow after all i did at weekend, i dont want to over do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

We're part of the 'July/august' holiday brigade, at the minute we're way out west in beautiful Clare. Have the runners with me, don't know if it was a good call or not. One thing about Clare, they sure know how to do hills. Went for a 'short' 4 mile run yesterday into doolin, jasus I was sweating buckets by the time I got back to the house & I swear it was more effort than the LSR at the weekend!! Well worth the views though. Happy running everyone, well done all that raced at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

One thing after another got in the way at the weekend and I've now missed my LSR. It was a step-back week with LSR of approx 12 miles planned (up to 15/16 normally).

My question is, should i do the 12 miles this evening (a day late) and push each of this weeks runs back a day? So instead of running Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, go for Monday (LSR), Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday (LSR) with normal service resuming next week? Alternatively, do i cut my losses on last weeks LSR and forget those miles completely?

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    One thing after another got in the way at the weekend and I've now missed my LSR. It was a step-back week with LSR of approx 12 miles planned (up to 15/16 normally).

My question is, should i do the 12 miles this evening (a day late) and push each of this weeks runs back a day? So instead of running Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, go for Monday (LSR), Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday (LSR) with normal service resuming next week? Alternatively, do i cut my losses on last weeks LSR and forget those miles completely?

Hi RRR, if it were me, I'd do it this evening. Sounds like you have the time to do it now so why not... There might be other weeks where life really gets in the way and you just can't fit a run in, so I'd do them when possible. You should be well recovered by Sunday to do the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

Was sick with a stomach complaint all weekend so I didn't get any running done apart from an attempted 10k at 10k pace on Thursday which fizzled out at 7.5. Easy to explain in hindsight since I ended up sleeping almost all day Friday :(

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/543750726

Now starting to feel like myself again and I'm wondering what's the best way to work myself back into the plan? I'm guessing short easy runs to begin with, and maybe a 15 mile LSR will be too much too soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Ososlo wrote: »
    Hi RRR, if it were me, I'd do it this evening. Sounds like you have the time to do it now so why not... There might be other weeks where life really gets in the way and you just can't fit a run in, so I'd do them when possible. You should be well recovered by Sunday to do the next one.

Thanks Ososlo - will get out this evening so. Tough week ahead! :)

ciaranmac wrote: »
    Was sick with a stomach complaint all weekend so I didn't get any running done apart from an attempted 10k at 10k pace on Thursday which fizzled out at 7.5. Easy to explain in hindsight since I ended up sleeping almost all day Friday :(

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/543750726

Now starting to feel like myself again and I'm wondering what's the best way to work myself back into the plan? I'm guessing short easy runs to begin with, and maybe a 15 mile LSR will be too much too soon.

No more 10ks at 10k pace for the moment for starters!!!!

Yes ease back into it. Start with 3 miles maybe if you're really feeling better today or tomorrow and take each day as it comes. You might be ok to do the lsr by the weekend but main thing is to get fully better first and just see how you are. If you run when you're still a bit sick you could just end up taking longer to recover than you would if you rested properly until better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

I took part in the Swords 10k yesterday after ten weeks ago taking up running. It was my third race after doing a malahide 5k park run in 28.52, and the Clontarf 5 miler in 47.39 (Injured shoulder beforehand).
    My aim for the race was between 55 and 57 mins although the heat was certainly worse than i feared with no breeze or drizzle to cool runners down which made me think maybe 55 would be out of my reach.
    At the start i was debating with myself if i would be better starting with the sub 50 min group to save myself energy from all of the overtaking that i had to do in the Clontarf 5 miler. I decided to go with the slower group after a fair bit of thought, however unlike the Clontarf race, i wanted to be nearer the front. As it turned out, a hell of a lot of ladies were already squeezed up doing dance routines before the race with the radio guys. So knowing this seemed a similar crowd that held me up in Clontarf, i decided to go into the sun 50 pack, starting at the back.

Once racing, i got into a decent enough pace while happily seeing others pass me assuming they were going off too fast. As we moved onto the duel carriageway i found myself running now with similar paced guys and slowly picking them off.

I had read on here that its valuable to take on water and even walk while drinking it for a few seconds just to make sure you get the fluids in, rather than blowing up due to issues further on so made sure i drank at the first water station.

After this it felt like we were pretty much going up a slight hill for a good few miles. I went past the 5k banner around about 26mins into my race so was feeling good about things although breathing heavily and feeling very hot but was still thinking 54 mins is well on here!

The fire hoses appeared and i was really looking forward to this to cool me down, but instead it felt like it shocked me into a near heart attack and was not what i was hoping for. I was still keeping my stride going though although come the 8k marker i was really starting to struggle and was very happy to see a unexpected second water station which i again consumed at near walking pace. From then on though i was never really able to feel comfortable and get back into a rhythm that i previously had and as a result was now amongst a large amount of runners , with most going past. The headwind at the 9k marker although slowing us down was much needed by me, although the hill turning left was not which almost resulted me getting up it at such a slow jog it was almost possible to walk quicker. Others were feeling it though as i passed a fair few walking who had paced it worse than me! At the top of the hill i realised we were close to home and kicked for home overtaking a fair few, all be it a fair few others going past me. I failed to notice the clock at the finish as i had my head down giving every last ounce of energy i had left and did not stop my phone app till a good few seconds after. In the end i finished in 57.25 which i was still happy with all be it being 25 seconds than i had hoped for.

At post race area i looked for Yaboya1 to check his time due to a bet we had had with him giving me a 20min head start, his previously best was in the high 38's, his time yesterday, a PB of 37.07 and a winning bet by 18seconds over me :(!!!!!!
    Why did i walk during the water areas??? No doubt i needed the water and it helped me get such a time.

Split................1m 8.29, 2m 8.55, 3m 9.19, 4m 9.09, 5m 9.47, 6m 9.08, 6.32m 7.56 (averaged/pace)

Sorry for the long post, roll on the 10mile race in August :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Well done to everyone racing yesterday and those with the pbs!

Was out there myself, I felt the pb I have from here last year wasn't a realistic target (57.xx) at this stage so just wanted to improve on the 10k times and experiences from this year. They all ended up being done on the back of disrupted training and various injuries and niggles and weren't particularly enjoyable.

Set out at a steady 9.59 mile pace for the first mile as I didn't want to go too fast as I wasn't sure how I would go with it. Ended up being my slowest mile and was able to pick up the pace for the rest. Had been hoping to come in under the hour but I missed out by 15 seconds. In hindsight I was probably a bit conservative at the start as I was afraid of burning out too fast initially given my recent 10ks.

Having said that I actually enjoyed it (in so far as you enjoy these things!) and I felt like I was feeling the benefits of my recent training so wasn't too gutted about the time. Disappointed of course but happy that it gave me a good idea of where I'm at and a bit of a confidence booster after my other endeavors this year. Tacked on some very very slow warm up and cool down miles to bring my total to just over 9 miles for the day.

Only issue is a twinge in my hamstring today. No problem with it yesterday during or after the race at all. Was planning on a recovery run this evening but I'm going to err on the side of caution and skip it. This hamstring gave me a bit of trouble over winter so will give it some tlc this evening and see how it is tomorrow.

MKDTH wrote: »
    I took part in the Swords 10k yesterday after ten weeks ago taking up running. It was my third race after doing a malahide 5k park run in 28.52, and the Clontarf 5 miler in 47.39 (Injured shoulder beforehand).

Pretty good time considering you're only running 10 weeks:eek:
    Well done!!

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Well done to everyone racing yesterday and those with the pbs!

Was out there myself, I felt the pb I have from here last year wasn't a realistic target (57.xx) at this stage so just wanted to improve on the 10k times and experiences from this year. They all ended up being done on the back of disrupted training and various injuries and niggles and weren't particularly enjoyable.

Set out at a steady 9.59 mile pace for the first mile as I didn't want to go too fast as I wasn't sure how I would go with it. Ended up being my slowest mile and was able to pick up the pace for the rest. Had been hoping to come in under the hour but I missed out by 15 seconds. In hindsight I was probably a bit conservative at the start as I was afraid of burning out too fast initially given my recent 10ks.

Having said that I actually enjoyed it (in so far as you enjoy these things!) and I felt like I was feeling the benefits of my recent training so wasn't too gutted about the time. Disappointed of course but happy that it gave me a good idea of where I'm at and a bit of a confidence booster after my other endeavors this year. Tacked on some very very slow warm up and cool down miles to bring my total to just over 9 miles for the day.

Only issue is a twinge in my hamstring today. No problem with it yesterday during or after the race at all. Was planning on a recovery run this evening but I'm going to err on the side of caution and skip it. This hamstring gave me a bit of trouble over winter so will give it some tlc this evening and see how it is tomorrow.

Great to see you enjoyed it in the end laura and are feeling the benefits on the recent training. Sounds like you could have gone out a bit faster alright but it's a good learning experience for you. Good call on the rest today.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Got out for a run in the Phoenix park today.

The plan called for a session of 3x2K @ 10K pace.Total of 8 miles.

The first rep went well, wasn't too bad at all. The 2nd was tougher, struggled a bit. The third was very tough indeed, was pretty wrecked by the end of it.

Good start to the week though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I was out in swords as well, had a mad crazy week last week with work and the kids in mini league's all week. I did not miss any runs but was out at mad times, this lead me to doing my 17k LSR late on Friday night. I think I only started it at 21:00.

So this meant I would not be going for a PB in Swords. I rested on Sat to give the body a break. So I said I would just use Swords as a pace session, I ended up doing it in 48:01 which is only about 50 seconds of my PB so I was happy with that.

1 4:34.0
    2 4:30.8
    3 4:34.8
    4 4:50.2
    5 4:57.8
    6 4:55.1
    7 4:52.5
    8 4:55.4
    9 4:55.1
    10 4:47.6

Its a shame I had a crazy week as I reckon I would have smashed the PB if I did not do the LSR Friday night, but I am prioritizing the plan. I did a very slow 8k recovery run today @ 10:24 min/mi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Well done all racing, some great reading.

On the boards plan on Wednesday. 6 miles with 5 strides. Is it 6 easy miles with 5x20 bursts after 5 miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dsenna

Doing the rock n roll half on the bank holiday Monday so following a plan for that ATM but hope to jump in to the boards plan for DCM after the half , is it possible to upload the plan to garmin connect and onto my watch ? Sorry if this has been asked before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Haven't posted here for a while. I was on holidays last week and didn't get one run in and had a minor op today and not allowed to run till next week though I can walk so I'm doing a 23k walk over the Knockmealdown Mountains in Tipperary on Saturday.

I've signed up for the 10K Bay run in Dun Laoghaire and I'm hoping to do the Boston HM in mid August but wondering if I'll be too far behind the Plan to catch up and do a decent DCM. I'll "walk" the miles this week, do these two races and then assess it but here's hoping I'm not the first casualty for the log.

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    Well done all racing, some great reading.

On the boards plan on Wednesday. 6 miles with 5 strides. Is it 6 easy miles with 5x20 bursts after 5 miles?

Yes you got it in one Sean P! Enjoy!

• Advertisement

Dsenna wrote: »
    Doing the rock n roll half on the bank holiday Monday so following a plan for that ATM but hope to jump in to the boards plan for DCM after the half , is it possible to upload the plan to garmin connect and onto my watch ? Sorry if this has been asked before

Hasn't been asked before but I don't think so. I'm not that tech savvy though!

Advertisement