Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

AK333 wrote: »
    This is the belt I used on a few long runs recently and its a great little belt, but I think the bottles are a bit small, only 10oz each, so I would recommend putting a bigger bottle out on your run about half way round - and decanting it into the small ones. its a very stable belt, doesn't "jiggle" about when running.

Unfortunately, I am the first Novice to withdraw from the DCM this year. Its going to take me longer to recover from my recent operation and I'm not allowed to run. I can't do my local Boston HM either but I had signed up for the Dublin Bay 10K on 4th August and I'm going up there to visit relatives, so I will do this one and hopefully 5k and 10k races later in the year.

Good luck to you all, thanks for all the info and I wish you all the best. Hopefully I can try again next year.
    That's bad luck. Don't rush back to the shorter stuff either though. Make sure you are 100% before racing and good luck with getting back into regular running.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice going K - but I think you should be hanging on for the full distance, hills or no. Running hills is pretty important preparation for the big day after all.

I was being a little flippant but yes I'd say if I pushed hard I could have possibly squeezed the extra 2 out. It would have meant running away from the coffee shop and snacks within, which was our finish point. In fact it was getting to the coffee shop that got me through mile 14!

More HTFU required next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lbucko

adrian522 wrote: »

Anyway one run at a time, job done for this week. 53 Miles on the board.

Interested to know what plan you're following? You're getting a lot of mileage in apart from from your LSR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

lbucko wrote: »
    Interested to know what plan you're following? You're getting a lot of mileage in apart from from your LSR.

was thinking that myself think im only on 34 miles this week and thats with a 14mile LSR

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm following BAA Intermediate, there are a lot of miles, but I was doing a lot of miles anyway before I started it. I'm a believer that the long run should be about 30-40% of the total weekly mileage at max.

I think there are 3 or 4 of us following this plan. I've amended it a little to fit in various races and stuff that I am doing.

The original plan

My plan involving my own races etc.

• Advertisement

planned a 14mile LSR today but my body has other idea's has to throw in the towel in at 8.5 miles as my body was not able for more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

AK333 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I am the first Novice to withdraw from the DCM this year. Its going to take me longer to recover from my recent operation and I'm not allowed to run. I can't do my local Boston HM either but I had signed up for the Dublin Bay 10K on 4th August and I'm going up there to visit relatives, so I will do this one and hopefully 5k and 10k races later in the year.

Good luck to you all, thanks for all the info and I wish you all the best. Hopefully I can try again next year.

Just catching up now as I was out of action over the weekend. Really really sorry to read this:( I've been so impressed with your commitment and attitude from the start and was looking forward to seeing how you'd get on over the following months. However, you're definitely making the right decision as trying to play catch-up when you're back on track wouldn't be the best idea. Delighted to hear you're going to go for DCM 2015 so have a great year of running and maybe consider starting up a log once you're back to regular training. I for one would love to follow it. Best of luck:D
    btw, keep following the thread as you'll pick up loads of info for next year and you'll be way ahead of the posse:)

scheister wrote: »
    planned a 14mile LSR today but my body has other idea's has to throw in the towel in at 8.5 miles as my body was not able for more

Why do you think that was? Are you just not feeling 100% or did you start out a bit too fast? 8.5 is a decent distance to get done anyway so I wouldn't worry too much. We all have bad days.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Why do you think that was? Are you just not feeling 100% or did you start out a bit too fast? 8.5 is a decent distance to get done anyway so I wouldn't worry too much. We all have bad days.

Id say couple of factors took part started off 10.14 pace followed by 3 10.17's but then pace picked up in after a water and i could not slow down unless i stopped and walked. Also been working alot lately so imagine tirerness from that

scheister wrote: »
    was thinking that myself think im only on 34 miles this week and thats with a 14mile LSR

I wouldn't worry about the mileage others are doing. 34 miles per week is plenty to be doing at this point. Different plans have different weekly mileage and some people have been running longer than others so can handle higher mileage. Plenty of people have run very successful marathons on plans that peak at 40 miles per week. If you feel really unchallenged you can always add a few miles on here and there but don't force it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Long run of 15 miles today, delighted I got around in 1 piece as its the furthest I've run to date. Only got in 2 other 4 miles runs as we were away, but plenty of walking & even more walking during the week. Back to normal tomorrow, thank god, I need structure!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Anyone with any advice on how to pace the DLR 10K next Monday?

I went to pieces on the hills last year and ended up walking bits of it at times.

From memory the first 2K or so are relatively flat, the next 3K see some pretty significant climbs and the second half of the course is flat/downhill.

I'm thinking to keep something in reserve for the hillier sections by going a bit slower at the start and then try and make the time up in the second half. Or else to run the initial flat section at normal 10K pace and just slow down for the hills and hope they don't take too much out of me.

For reference most runs I'd do would have at least some hills involved but as always it is different in a race situation,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I went to pieces on the hills last year and ended up walking bits of it at times.

From memory the first 2K or so are relatively flat, the next 3K see some pretty significant climbs and the second half of the course is flat/downhill.

I'm thinking to keep something in reserve for the hillier sections by going a bit slower at the start and then try and make the time up in the second half. Or else to run the initial flat section at normal 10K pace and just slow down for the hills and hope they don't take too much out of me.

For reference most runs I'd do would have at least some hills involved but as always it is different in a race situation,

The one and only year I ran this I was inexperienced and went out too fast. What actually got me wasn't the hills but the first flat 2k I had ran like a loony after getting carried away. Meaning I couldn't cope at all with the hill when it came.

I would be inclined to set a target time and give yourself a few seconds per km leeway on the 3k of hills from 3-5 and then catch it up on the downhill. The hills themselves aren't actually that bad if approached right.

The critical thing is to arrive fresh at the start of the climb IMO.

Yeah, I did pretty much the same thing last year, arrived at the start of the hills already fecked....must do better this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Did the Mullingar 10 mile race today. It was a scorcher!!. I drank about 10 bottles of water at the finish. The course was tougher than I thought, with a lot of long inclines, it was difficult to get into a flow. I PB'd at over 1.08 hrs but the race didn't go brilliantly. I went through 5 miles in 32 minutes (new PB) and was on course for 1.05 but I was working very hard and sweating buckets. At this stage the mind was saying you have to stop, can't keep up the pace. The undulating course was tough on my legs. Decided to ease up and just get to the finish. Gradually got my wind and finished the last mile very well. It was a bit of a test to see how many 4 minute kms I could run. I was glad I eased up as the 2nd half of the course had some more of those inclines that just slow you and suck the speed from the legs. Martin Fagan won the race in 48 minutes (equivalent of running 3 minute kms...some stuff!). Nearly 300 took part.
    I had eased up my mileage this week in preparation for the race but I'm glad I did the race as the weeks can get boring without a race to look forward to. Lots of easy miles for this week and then try to do a good LSR at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Yeah, I did pretty much the same thing last year, arrived at the start of the hills already fecked....must do better this year.

Might see you out there - am starting to lean heavily towards giving it a not all out go but a go nonetheless !

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

You're bang on with your assessment, first 2k cool, next 3 are a long uphill drag to the Sallynoggin roundabout, nothing scary, but enough to annoy the legs. 2.5k of a fairly nice downhill (think 3km to 4km in Marlay Parkrun) then pretty much flat to the finish. I went through it at the weekend with the locals and we decided (for me) that it would be pretty hard to find the 45seconds for a sub 50PB.

Thats probably not going to stop me trying though. In my madness, I'm probably going to split it into 2 parts, 10k pace for 1st half, then the pace known as 'faster than that' for the second.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Only in a while from a 22k LSR, I left it late today as I had a few beers last night. Took it handy enough on the drink because of the run.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/551094355

Tough enough week, 92K done I am looking forward to the rest day tomorrow. The last few rest days I have cycled into work but tomorrow I think the body could do with a complete rest day. Roll on Tuesday for the start of another week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Dub13 wrote: »
    Only in a while from a 22k LSR, I left it late today as I had a few beers last night. Took it handy enough on the drink because of the run.

Tough enough week, 92K done I am looking forward to the rest day tomorrow. The last few rest days I have cycled into work but tomorrow I think the body could do with a complete rest day. Roll on Tuesday for the start of another week.

You are putting in some great mileage. I struggle to do more than 50k a week. Are you running every day or doubles or a long midweek run?

Dub13 wrote: »

Well there's 2 reasons to do your long run on Saturday, rest day Sunday, so few pints on Saturday night is not an issue and no pressure to cycle or do anything else really on a Sunday so it's a proper rest day.

I was supposed to be up and out the door for 8 this morning to get my 10K intervals in but couldn't get to sleep last night so was unable/unwilling to get up on time so that will have to be this evening now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Hi,

Can I jump in here?

I am on week 6 of Hal Higdon Intermediate 1. I did 11.3 miles yesterday. It was meant to be 12 but the route was shorter than I expected!

I ran the DM in 2008 when I was only running 11 months. I was happy to finish :) I've had 2 children since then, I've been running since but haven't run another marathon. I was training last year but my Achilles held me back too much and I had to bow out of the marathon, although I did the rest of the race series. This year training is going well. I'm still having trouble will my heel but doing my best with stretching, foam rolling, ice, heat and tcl!

I want to do the race series 10 mile and half marathon but they clash with my training program. The week of the 10 mile I should be doing 13 and the week of the half I should be doing 20. I used to run with a group who went their separate ways so finding it hard to make these decisions with no one to advise me on whats best!!

Joleigh wrote: »
    Hi,

Can I jump in here?

I am on week 6 of Hal Higdon Intermediate 1. I did 11.3 miles yesterday. It was meant to be 12 but the route was shorter than I expected!

I ran the DM in 2008 when I was only running 11 months. I was happy to finish :) I've had 2 children since then, I've been running since but haven't run another marathon. I was training last year but my Achilles held me back too much and I had to bow out of the marathon, although I did the rest of the race series. This year training is going well. I'm still having trouble will my heel but doing my best with stretching, foam rolling, ice, heat and tcl!

I want to do the race series 10 mile and half marathon but they clash with my training program. The week of the 10 mile I should be doing 13 and the week of the half I should be doing 20. I used to run with a group who went their separate ways so finding it hard to make these decisions with no one to advise me on whats best!!

Of course you can join in. The more the merrier:D
    Ok so if it were me, I'd do the 10 mile race a good warm up and cool down to bring up the total. You'd only have to do 1.5 miles either side of the race to get the 13 done and a (very slow) warm up is great to prepare your body for the race and the cooldown is really helpful to aid recovery. Just do easy runs in the 5/6 days leading up to the race with maybe a few strides thrown in. You want to be really fresh for the race and give it your best shot.

For the half I'd do 2 miles w/u, c/d either side of the race to bring it up to 17+. I wouldn't worry about not hitting the 20 as the race will be a super workout that'll bring great benefits for your marathon training so even better than the 20 lsr. Run easy in the lead up also. This half will be a key indicator as to what you might be capable of come Oct 27th so you really want to be very rested going into it to do your best. That doesn't mean to rest completely, just run easy in the days leading up to it.
    Do you have another 20 mile run on your plan? If not I'd try to fit one in on another week just so you've hit that actual distance in a training run at least once.
    Just ensure you do the warm ups and cool downs pre/post race really relaxed.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Hi Ososlo,

Its nice to get another opinion for a bit of clarity!

The weekend of the half should be my first 20, then the following week is a 12 miler stepback week, then the week after is 20 miles, so I will have at least 1 20 miler under my belt.

Thanks for that...I feel reassured now :)

Joleigh wrote: »
    Hi Ososlo,

Its nice to get another opinion for a bit of clarity!

The weekend of the half should be my first 20, then the following week is a 12 miler stepback week, then the week after is 20 miles, so I will have at least 1 20 miler under my belt.

Thanks for that...I feel reassured now :)

I did what I posted above for my 10 miler and half last year and it worked well for me and I didn't get injured.
    That plan sounds just fine and good to get in the 20 two weeks later. You could add a few miles onto another one of the longer runs if you wanted to get in a second 19/20 mile run. If there was a 17/18 mile run you could push it out to hit 19 or 20 if you wanted. See how you go nearer the time and definitely don't force it. Only do it if you think your body is well able to handle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I haven't got that HM on my plan at all (I have a HM phobia since a HM I ran in June 2013 that caused injury and I dare not run one so close to the marathon)

Am I an idiot? Well yeah, I am an idiot, but am I a bigger idiot over that? :D

I also have the same hamstring pain as the one that caused me to miss 6 days on the first week of the plan. Haven't run now since Friday. Grrrrrrr

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I haven't got that HM on my plan at all (I have a HM phobia since a HM I ran in June 2013 that caused injury and I dare not run one so close to the marathon)

Am I an idiot? Well yeah, I am an idiot, but am I a bigger idiot over that? :D

I also have the same hamstring pain as the one that caused me to miss 6 days on the first week of the plan. Haven't run now since Friday. Grrrrrrr

Ah no sorry to hear that:( You were going so well of late. Stay positive and hopefully it'll be gone very soon! Maybe it's just your body getting used to the extra mileage. Good call resting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

Good week for me last week. I have finally got a training plan together and managed to get all my runs done.

Mon: 7km
    Tue: 7.5km (running club speedwork)
    Thur: 10.5km (running club tempo)
    Sat: 22km LSR
    Sun: 5km recovery

22km LSR is now my longest ever run. Did it as slow as possible, I always go way too fast at the beginning and run out of steam before the end but I stuck to my planned pace this time and it was a comfortable run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Ososlo wrote: »
    Ah no sorry to hear that:( You were going so well of late. Stay positive and hopefully it'll be gone very soon! Maybe it's just your body getting used to the extra mileage. Good call resting though.
    Thanks
    I feel like such a moaney, depressing git - never too long before it goes wrong again!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Thanks
    I feel like such a moaney, depressing git - never too long before it goes wrong again!

You're welcome to moan here anytime Laois_Man! I understand how frustrating it must be for you but stay positive. I've a feeling you'll bounce back quickly this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

After 11 weeks of running i was satisfied my training has been going well enough. So i booked my place today for DCM2014 :)
    70 euros to enter will make sure i run it now!!!

I eased myself back into training after the Swords 10k race and managed 23.3 last week, with 10 yesterday with no pace runs.

Advertisement