Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

FYI
    DCM Entry goes up from 75 to 85 euro on Friday.
    Have many of you entered yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Ososlo wrote: »
    FYI

No, not yet. Afraid of getting injured between now and then. Going to leave it till a bit closer when I know more about how the body is handling it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

FYI

I haven't entered yet. I'm one of those that would prefer to spend the extra tenner and make sure I'll be there, than spend the 75 and possibly not make it for whatever reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

FYI

I'm also waiting to see how the half-marathon on the 9th goes. If it's a strong run i'll give DCM my money, and will tweak my training-plan to increase the length of my Thursday/Sunday runs and decrease the intensity a bit.

I've only just now looked at the training plans on page 1, and I see that my long run distance is a good bit short of what the "Boards 2014" plan has for current weeks. But I'm ahead of the Higdon long-run distances ... Anyhow if/when I commit I'll be looking at a mixture of the Boards plan with accomodation for Tuesday intervals and an occasional Parkrun :-)

Thanks to Ososlo for the hosting work!

rockwell wrote: »
    SeanPuddin wrote: »
    I find OpenStreetMaps (through mapmyrun create route) very good for paths and stuff around here. If I have you correctly I turn right at the gate. It is narrow and slightly overgrown but it is a short path up to a carpark and back of Plassey.

Basically the one here, beside Kilmurray Village up to Plassey Park Road via carpark.

@SEANPUDDIN and JohnDozer, good to see some fellow mid-west runners on here. UL riverbank is my running ground for mid week runs.

True! Them dubs seem to own the gaff!! :-) I mainly use it at lunchtimes so if you use it in a similar timeframe we have more than likely crossed paths. I'm recognising a few familiar faces the more I run the canal and the riverbank. A nice resource to have so close to my work! Practically out the door of work and I'm on the canal bank.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I've registered and paid at the same time I registered for the race series. I'm a bit weird but the marathon didn't feel real for me until I'd paid for it and committed to it.

I know I could get injured before it but I feel it was a good mental training boost to think "This is it, I'm doing the full 26.2 now, I've paid the money so I better be ready"

8 Easy Miles tonight. Nice to think how far the training has come in the last year or even the last 6 months that I can knock out 8 miles the day after a tough session without too much effort really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

adrian522 wrote: »
    Are there many of us doing the DLR Bay 10K? I'd be up for a few warm down miles afterwards if anyone else is doing something similar. Or even a coffee or something if a few were hanging around.

Not doing the 10k this weekend but am signed up for the rest of the race series and might be interested in doing something similar for those when they come around.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Alan30

Signed up a month ago. Having confirmation stops me from becoming lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

JohnDozer wrote: »

True! Them dubs seem to own the gaff!! :-) I mainly use it at lunchtimes so if you use it in a similar timeframe we have more than likely crossed paths. I'm recognising a few familiar faces the more I run the canal and the riverbank. A nice resource to have so close to my work! Practically out the door of work and I'm on the canal bank.

+1

I'll throw out a cough so next time I pass someone on that path ;) Can't be shouting Sean Puddin!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

FYI
    DCM Entry goes up on Friday.

I entered back in Feb just after my 40th. It was on the bucket list so I thought this year or never.
    I think knowing I have signed up for it (and told everyone!) will make it easier for me to get out and get the miles in.
    Showing my inexperience here but I never thought of seeing how the training went and waiting until later in the year to enter. Also, getting injured and not being able to do it never crossed my mind either. I'll just have to see how it goes I suppose :) I'm not too bothered about the time, just want to complete it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Morning,
    I entered last Thursday. Have also given up drink until October, hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

Entered yesterday...Needed the kick in the ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭krafty

Apologies if this has been asked before (I had a quick search and didn't find it). Will there be a marker for every kilometre in the DCM? I've heard there were markers every 5K in the past. And the pacebands you can get at the expo will be useful. But since all of my training has been in metric units, km markers would be ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Unless things have changed this year, the course will be marked every MILE, and also every 5k. No individual km markers. Apparently we don't use the metric system after all. Most runners around here appear to approve of this for some reason. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It is a pain in the ass in some ways. I also use the metric system though still think of car journeys in miles. When people post their paces in per miles I am always trying to do the mental calculations. I do a lot of rounding!
    Think I will stick to what I am at as I think in a race you are nearly better running by feel than watching the garmin the whole time. The DCM will have pacers anyway so less of a need to be worrying about paces etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Murph_D wrote: »
    Most runners around here appear to approve of this for some reason. :D

For some bizarre reason, Irish people seem to run in miles and cycle in kilometres. It gets quite confusing :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭rockwell

+1

I'll throw out a cough so next time I pass someone on that path ;) Can't be shouting Sean Puddin!

or else we'll have to get some Boards DCM t-shirts done

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭krafty

For some bizarre reason, Irish people seem to run in miles and cycle in kilometres. It gets quite confusing :pac:

And we drive in kilometers now too. Well, at least, we measure speed in km/hr. What really wrecks my head is the cups/tablespoons American measurements for recipes.

Anyway, back on topic, I took the weekend + Monday off to attend a friend's wedding. After upping the mileage over the last few weeks, I thought the 3-day rest would be useful. But the opposite happened, my knee felt tight and my legs felt very uncomfortable. Ended up only doing half of what I wanted to do. No more breaks/missed weekends now until the DCM I hope.

or else we'll have to get some Boards DCM t-shirts done

Great idea! I did mention it earlier in the thread but no-one took the bait. The guy that set up the last two orders (Kurt Godel) is still around I think but I didn't PM him. One definate customer here if anything happens. Quite a bit of work involved I'd say so not sure could I take on the job...

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Think I will stick to what I am at as I think in a race you are nearly better running by feel than watching the garmin the whole time. The DCM will have pacers anyway so less of a need to be worrying about paces etc.

Would agree with you on the pacers. Just a couple of things to consider if running to feel in your first marathon. With taper you'll be rearing to go at the start line and as such it could be very easy to run the first 10, 16 or 20 miles relatively easy at a pace faster than planned. I think you need some reference point to pace other than feel whether that be watch, pacer or pace band as a novice (I know I did last year). As novices over the distance I would advocate a conservative approach to the first 20 miles & if feeling good at 20 or 22 miles maybe try and push on a bit then. Some say the 20 mile mark is the real half way point for the marathon ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

FYI

I wouldn't dare;!

The very last minute you can sign up is 5PM on October 1st for €95

So I'll be signing up at 4:59 that day.....if at all (still haven't run since Friday :( )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

FYI

Entered and paid back in May, set up the mycharity thing and started telling people I was doing it. Otherwise I might have chickened out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Entered just now:D Is there an entrants list? Cant seem to find it this year

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

9 Mile Tempo tonight with 2 x 15min @ M-pace

Some nasty wind and rain towards the end but otherwise ok. Hoping to get a longish run in tomorrow as I'll be doing little enough with the 10K on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

3 easy runs done since the 10 mile in Mullingar, 31km so far this week. I will take tomorrow off and rest the legs.
    Signed up for the half in Longford. Just under 4 weeks away.

Just back from a holiday 10k in Deutschland. €8 entry fee, no tshirt and no medal, just a well run race. Tricky enough course in that it was quite undulating (as is the majority of the terrain around here) and a fresh breeze into the face for km's 3-8. Nasty little hill right on the 9k mark but a nice touch was a small crowd and bell ringer to set you on your last lap! Found it tough from the outset which is probably a combination of very little work done at this pace and the not so great diet of the last few days, including a few weißbrau's last night. Anyway, no excuses... Had three targets going in - A was sub 45, B was sub 45:30 which would hand me a nice PB (which as said elsewhere was on a significantly short course so never rested easy with claiming it) and C was sub 47 which is the PB from an accurate course. first 4 km's were a little ahead of the planned 4:30m/km pace(only use km on 5k and 10k races). Things started to get tough from here on in, with km's 5-7 veering on the 4:40 side. Was picking off a few people all the same and only passed by one. Km no 8 brought us off road and was more like cross country on a wet winters day. Very slippy underfoot which wasn't nice when pushing time, lost 15-20 seconds here. The end of km 8brought that hill which reduced me to walking pace, but took off flying from the top. I'd say I passed 5-6 people on the last km. no finishing clock, but 45:23 on the Garmin, I'll take that! Lost 10 seconds or so at start as I started the garmin on the gun, and those few seconds in the muck and on the hill won't be lost next day out in Curraghchase 10k in a months time, will be going all out for sub 45, and maybe confident enough for low 44's by then. Time to enjoy a few erdingers with a smile on my face!

Just back from a holiday 10k in Deutschland. €8 entry fee, no tshirt and no medal, just a well run race. Tricky enough course in that it was quite undulating (as is the majority of the terrain around here) and a fresh breeze into the face for km's 3-8. Nasty little hill right on the 9k mark but a nice touch was a small crowd and bell ringer to set you on your last lap! Found it tough from the outset which is probably a combination of very little work done at this pace and the not so great diet of the last few days, including a few weißbrau's last night. Anyway, no excuses... Had three targets going in - A was sub 45, B was sub 45:30 which would hand me a nice PB (which as said elsewhere was on a significantly short course so never rested easy with claiming it) and C was sub 47 which is the PB from an accurate course. first 4 km's were a little ahead of the planned 4:30m/km pace(only use km on 5k and 10k races). Things started to get tough from here on in, with km's 5-7 veering on the 4:40 side. Was picking off a few people all the same and only passed by one. Km no 8 brought us off road and was more like cross country on a wet winters day. Very slippy underfoot which wasn't nice when pushing time, lost 15-20 seconds here. The end of km 8brought that hill which reduced me to walking pace, but took off flying from the top. I'd say I passed 5-6 people on the last km. no finishing clock, but 45:23 on the Garmin, I'll take that! Lost 10 seconds or so at start as I started the garmin on the gun, and those few seconds in the muck and on the hill won't be lost next day out in Curraghchase 10k in a months time, will be going all out for sub 45, and maybe confident enough for low 44's by then. Time to enjoy a few erdingers with a smile on my face!

Nice one, well done on the PB!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So how often should I be using the foam roller? Should I use it after a run or on a rest day to loosen out the muscles?

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

7 miles today
    5 at MP, well not quite my ideal MP but not far off, I am reckoning my actual MP will be more in the middle of my LSR pace and my current ideal MP and I am ok with that

I still struggle with my pacing on non LSR's so today there were parts where I hit out too fast and had to slow to a walk in parts, my overall time per KM was near enough what I was aiming for but it meant I was having to expend more effort to keep it that way

That is something to work on I guess and when I get that sorted I probably wont be too far of my ideal MP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Why would you not race it properly rather than use it as a training run?

just feel my body would be better keeping this as a training run rather then racing it also moving house they day so my recovery time will be minimum

Advertisement