Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Entry fee goes up by €10 @ midnight tonight to €85 for Irish residents

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

14 Miles tonight. My thoughts were to try and get the LSR in now as the 10K is on Monday so won't be doing one over the weekend. The plan was for 16 miles with the last 4 at marathon pace.

The first 12 miles were fine, even though I had a bit of discomfort in my right leg, thigh/Glut/Hip Flexor. Not too bad though. It got a bit worse when I upped the pace for the last few. After 2 miles I decided to call it a day as the discomfort became a little more like pain.

Overall though I'm happy with this. I'll have some easy runs and some good stretching/strengthening also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Possibly left it a bit late to get advice for this... I'm between weeks on the BAA intermediate plan at the moment, I'm due to pick it back up with an 18 mile LSR on Sunday and move on to week 6 after that. Raced a 10k last night. 3.5 miles easy tonight. What would be the best mileage/ pace to do over the next two days before Sundays LSR? Am going for a run early tomorrow and thinking of doing the 8-10 miles with 20 mins @ MP, 8 mins recovery and a further 10 mins at MP as a repeat session. Is it too much? Am I better off just doing 8-10 easy pace, or pick a shorter run with some MP miles thrown in? Body and mind feel fine so doesn't seem like I would be pushing it...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I reckon you should keep it easy paced tomorrow anyway. The 10K race would have been a good speed session for you so no need to push it by doing more MP miles the next day.

I'm doing a 10K on Monday and my plan for the rest of that week is:

Tue: 4-6 Easy
    Wed: MLR 10-12
    Thu: 4-6 Easy
    Fri: 6-8 Easy
    Sat 16-18 LSR.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Enjoy the bank holiday weekend folks because by the time the next one rolls around, we will all be in super physical condition and on the brink of something special.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I've been asked to do another radio interview. This time I'll be on the Ryan Tubridy show on 2FM on Tuesday around 9.30. I'll be talking about the charity I'm running for and how my Marathon training is going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Casey78 wrote: »
    I've been asked to do another radio interview. This time I'll be on the Ryan Tubridy show on 2FM on Tuesday around 9.30. I'll be talking about the charity I'm running for and how my Marathon training is going.

Looking forward to hearing that interview Casey. Missed your last one. Best of luck with it.
    Good luck to all with the lsrs over the weekend and to anyone racing. Enjoy.

3 Miles recovery tonight, very slow pace. Had planned on more but legs very sore so decided to leave it at that. Hope I'll be ok tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Have the Streets of Galway (8K) next Saturday, just wondering how I should compensate for the 14 mile LSR. Sorry I know these questions are like pulling teeth but I'm not sure what to do.

I'm thinking race 8K with a 5 mile easy run after and on Sunday run another 5 miles easy.

Really looking forward to the race going to push for sub 42 minutes. Anyone else entered?

I wouldn't worry too much about making up the miles, the race itself will be a good enough workout, so maybe 1-2 mile warmup with strides, the race, maybe 2-3 recovery miles (slower than easy pace).

The next day maybe 3-4 miles again at recovery pace, then on the Monday continue the plan as normal.

• Advertisement

Sounds good to me, thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭thehookster

Hi, need a bit of advice, I have been sick since last Monday with a virus, finally feeling a small bit better but still only half right, needless to say I have missed all my runs this week.I am due to do 10 miles this weekend as my lsr, what im wondering is should I attempt it or just scratch this week off and start afresh on Monday. any advice appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hi, need a bit of advice, I have been sick since last Monday with a virus, finally feeling a small bit better but still only half right, needless to say I have missed all my runs this week.I am due to do 10 miles this weekend as my lsr, what im wondering is should I attempt it or just scratch this week off and start afresh on Monday. any advice appreciated

Scratch it completely IMO. Especially if only half right now. Even when you feel fully right after a virus you actually aren't for a couple of days after at least. Maybe if you feel very good tomorrow knock out a recovery pace 3 miles or so but I think you would be a lunatic to jump back into your LSR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I'd second that. You could even try the 3 miler today if you do feel better, but probably best not to jump straight back into a 10 miler after a week off. If no ill effects from the 3 today, then possibly do 6/7 tomorrow so you won't have lost too much.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I have a 15k run later, not looking forward to it in that rain.

Wait until you're certain you're better. Half right is not right enough. If you run when you're not 100% you could make yourself sicker and end up being out for a lot longer.
    You won't have lost any fitness in a week so see how you are in a few days and try a few very easy/recovery paced miles. Just run easy for a few days after that and call it a day if it doesn't feel right.
    Let us know how you get on and good luck!

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    Have the Streets of Galway (8K) next Saturday, just wondering how I should compensate for the 14 mile LSR. Sorry I know these questions are like pulling teeth but I'm not sure what to do.

I'm thinking race 8K with a 5 mile easy run after and on Sunday run another 5 miles easy.

Really looking forward to the race going to push for sub 42 minutes. Anyone else entered?
    adrian522 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about making up the miles, the race itself will be a good enough workout, so maybe 1-2 mile warmup with strides, the race, maybe 2-3 recovery miles (slower than easy pace).

The next day maybe 3-4 miles again at recovery pace, then on the Monday continue the plan as normal.

sounds like something I'd say;):D
    Great advice from adrian there. I'd often do 3, 4 or 5 miles at recovery pace after a race to bring up the daily total if my body agreed. Just keep it all very comfortable after racing.

Ososlo wrote: »
    sounds like something I'd say;):D
    Great advice from adrian there. I'd often do 3, 4 or 5 miles at recovery pace after a race to bring up the daily total if my body agreed. Just keep it all very comfortable after racing.

Yeah, I may have heard that somewhere before !

adrian522 wrote: »
    Yeah, I may have heard that somewhere before !

ha ha when I read that this morning I thought it was one of my posts but I couldn't remember posting and thought I was losing it:eek:
    Good to know the thread is in safe hands when I'm not around:P appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Morning all

Bit of a miserable morning out but it wasn't as wet as I feared it might be when looking at the forecast last night and the lower temperature was a delight

The loneliness of the long distance runner summed up this morning, very quiet in the Phoenix park

The run went well, kept a nice pace and realised at around the 18K mark that if I pushed on a bit I could smash my Hm training time, took 5 mins off it and it didn't impact the following laps much

16 miles in total and it was only at the very end that I started to feel it but was still keeping pace

Happy out :)
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/555020139

Enjoy the long weekend everyone

• Advertisement

Morning all

Bit of a miserable morning out but it wasn't as wet as I feared it might be when looking at the forecast last night and the lower temperature was a delight

The loneliness of the long distance runner summed up this morning, very quiet in the Phoenix park

The run went well, kept a nice pace and realised at around the 18K mark that if I pushed on a bit I could smash my Hm training time, took 5 mins off it and it didn't impact the following laps much

16 miles in total and it was only at the very end that I started to feel it but was still keeping pace

Happy out :)
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/555020139

Enjoy the long weekend everyone

Fantastic! Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Dub13 wrote: »
    I have a 15k run later, not looking forward to it in that rain.

I adore running in the rain, always have!

Doing the Higdon novice plan so this morning was 11k. I felt good right from the start and found myself going quicker than I should, but because it was a step back week I decided to say **** it and just let myself go. I figured even hitting a wall because of too high of an early pace would be a learning experience worth doing.

I didn't hit any wall, but I did take ten minutes of the 11k time I set in week 2! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

Good luck to anyone having to go out in that rain today. I went out this morning in horrible conditions, thankfully just on a two mile recovery run after doing six mainly uphill last night.

Last night was my first run since Monday due to a trip to Galway midweek and I must say I don't think my legs have ever felt stronger. Maybe I should have a three day break between runs every week??? ;)

I'm playing catch up now after the three day break so I'm planning to have a run each day between now and Friday. That way i can have a rest day on the Friday before running the Malahide Park Run on Saturday which I expect to smash my one and only previous 5k at Malahide of 28.54. I raced this after only five weeks of running, meaning eight weeks further along the line I should be able to really attack this race pretty much flat out!

About time ye got some rain on that coast! Perfect here in Limerick for my LSR. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Lots of great running going on.......I'm jealous.

I've not run at all in 8 days with PTTD type issues on my right leg and some snapping hip syndrome on the left leg which isn't too serious - just a big annoyance.

I think I'm feeling a good bit better. I'm gonna get out for a very slow 5K or something like that later. Trying not to rush back but I can't miss anymore running at the same time since I also missed most of week 1 also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Did 30km for my lsr today, my longest to date. I also had my first gel today, a kinetica berry burst. It was surprisingly nice, quite sugary. When I woke at 8am I was a bit reluctant to get out as the body was still bit stiff after the cycle yesterday. I was going to do a very hilly run but scratched it as legs weren't upto it and instead took a new route out and back. I didn't have any water on me. Maybe not the best idea but I dont like taking water in my hand and it can be hard to find a safe spot to leave water.
    The last 6 or 7km were tough but just kept going. Glad that the gel went ok as I would have a dodgy stomach. Had a couple of cramps but think that was more to do with needing to have a good number 2.
    Again today the distance of the marathon hit home and just how tough a run it is. Pacing myself will mean a much easier race. Hope I can heed the lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

This thread is great, fair play to you all.

This will be my first marathon. I'm not much of a runner tbh, I tip away and cover bout 20-30km week. Not great, although a few weeks ago I covered 100km in a week.

I'm fairly slow, my 10km time ranges between 47-56 minutes. There was a time that it was 38..looooong time ago :). 8km the other day was 41:56 and a nice casual pace.

I have only started doing events this year. Small stuff, 5km /8km park runs and I am doing the race series with the exception of the 10 miler. I will be doing the Warriors run in Sligo that day.

My first half marathon is this Monday so that will give me an indication of how badly prepared I am. I am an ignorant bastard when it comes to training. I don't usually yield to injuries. My attitude has always been 'just turn up and fcuking do it' no matter what it is and then keep going. I'm too old for that stuff now.

I realise that attitude won't help me for the marathon and that's why I'm here. Il be taking on board everything that has been said here. I'm pretty clueless in regards to building myself up and nutrition and pacing.

Hoping to do the half in 2 hours or as close to. So, thanks for starting the thread and for everyone posting who is giving everyone tips and advice.

Keep putting the runners on and il see you at the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

I'm fairly slow, my 10km time ranges between 47-56 minutes. There was a time that it was 38..looooong time ago :). 8km the other day was 41:56 and a nice casual pace.

I wouldn't consider that slow to be honest for 10K, we are all at different levels in here so what is slow for some is fast for others
    I am at the slower end of the scale in here by the looks of it but that is ok, on the day we all have to go at a pace that means we can make the finish, whatever pace that may be

Have a look at some of the plans in the first post and see if you can start to follow them, I find having a plan a huge help and there is no reason you can't jump into one now

Welcome to the thread and I look forward to your updates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Cheers NyOmnishambles.

That's a very good point about a lasting pace. Il be interested to see how I get on. I have covered a marathon distance in the past but it was mostly walking.

A friend recommended the HH Novice 1 plan to me before. I have very loosely been following it to date. I stupidly like to punish myself. I'd go to the gym in the morning, run 8-10km at lunch and cycle home about 56km from work that day. I wouldn't do that every day but that's the idiot inside me that I have to suppress :). He always wants to do that bit extra even though he shouldn't.

I intend to properly start the HHN1 plan at week 7 on Monday. Fingers crossed! :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I did a 10k pace run today and it went fantastic.
    I broke my 10k PB by about 90seconds which I'm delighted about as I wasn't trying to as I was using my heart rate monitor and was keeping it in the 80-85% zone.It was only I finished the run did I realise I had broken it.
    I also did the second 5k faster than my 5k PB time,about 7 seconds faster..does this count as a new 5k PB or not?

Advertisement