Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great race summary folks!

As I said in my earlier post, I'm a fecking eeijit for training with injuries. The latest one had been on my "good knee". :)

Just ignored it for the last 9 weeks up until today when I was compleyy fcuked. Guy in work had a look at it and he says it's my IT Band. He is massaging them tomorrow. Anyone ever have this issue and any good advice?

Apparently my 8 year old runners may be the cause :).

Thanks all.
    Ososlo wrote: »
    8 year old runners? You serious???? I hope not! If you are then you need to get yourself gait analysis and a new pair asap!
    If you're in pain with your injury you definitely need to see a physio asap also!

Have a look at this thread which is currently talking about IT band strain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Have a look at this thread which is currently talking about IT band strain.

Thanks Ososlo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Did an easy 8 mile run....bang on 10 minute mile pace.....most of it in the most horrendous, stormy, torrential rain you'll ever see anywhere...and I absolutely loved it!!

Except for (and queue the by now obligatory Laois_Man injury moan) the fact that I still have some pain in my right hamstring. It's like, on the lower outside of the hamstring and it's really really hard to get a really good stretch on it....REALLY.

Sidenote: Why is it that no matter how absolutely soaked you are.....even when you're enjoying it.....that it still massively pissed one off when one gets splashed head to toe by an ignorant wanker passing in a car? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Laois_Man wrote: »

Except for (and queue the by now obligatory Laois_Man injury moan) the fact that I still have some pain in my right hamstring. It's like, on the lower outside of the hamstring and it's really really hard to get a really good stretch on it....REALLY.

Stretch the hamstring as you would normally with a leg raise but turn the foot either inside or out to isolate the individual hamstrings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Thanks to everyone for their kind words re the radio interview I did.

Did a 4 miler tonight and felt a bit sore on my shins. First time I felt pain there but hopefully it's not anything to worry about.

• Advertisement

Casey78 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for their kind words re the radio interview I did.

Did a 4 miler tonight and felt a bit sore on my shins. First time I felt pain there but hopefully it's not anything to worry about.

Well done again.
    Maybe run on grass or some softer surface for a few days and keep it short enough and easy but if it's causing you pain a few days off mightn't be any harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

So had a work call this morning at 4.30 which was supposed to be an hour or two.. Ended after 30 mins so was sitting there at 5am and no chance of going back to bed..
    Went out and did 1m w/u, 6m pace(avg 9:00 p/m), 1.5m w/d. wasn't too bad but i did too many hills in it and the legs were tired near the end. Id say the breakfast hadn't had a chance to sink in either so lacking in energy!

But happy days have the evening off now!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You are absolutely nuts, I'd have gone back to sleep at that time.

adrian522 wrote: »

I have to agree but nuts in a good way :D

adrian522 wrote: »

Ah i was fully awake and 2 boiled eggs polished off.. It was dry out.. had to go for it.. lovely and peaceful out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Hello, so just to clarify I'm running 7 miles tonight???
    7m with 5 x 100m strides
    Will have to figure out strides too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

aquinn wrote: »
    Hello, so just to clarify I'm running 7 miles tonight???
    7m with 5 x 100m strides
    Will have to figure out strides too.

No need to be accurate with the strides, something as simple as running between 2/3 lamp post's will suffice. These are for running economy, they are not a session so focus on form rather than busting a gut

Also if you have access to a football pitch diagnonal corner to corner is a decent measurement also (in fact so much so there is a famous style session which uses this)

Strides are an increased burst of speed over 100m or so.. I don't keep looking at the watch but a count to 10 in my head usually does.. Do them on the flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Oh so it's like a speed training, just quicken the pace? That helps, thank you. I'm still running 7 then? :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

Ah i was fully awake and 2 boiled eggs polished off.. It was dry out.. had to go for it.. lovely and peaceful out!

Dead right, I set off for swims at 5:30am some mornings and it is bliss out, the roads and streets are your own, bar a few foxes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

Hi All,

It’s been a while since I posted. I was away on holidays for a couple of weeks and last week was just trying to ease myself back into the plan. Reporting that I was sweating, just thinking about going for a run wasn’t going to make interesting reading for anyone! Holidays weren’t a total disaster, I managed to get 5 runs of around hour in over the 2 weeks and only put on a kilo in weight, but I wasn’t exactly in flying form before I left either. Between injuries and holidays I had been following the spirit of the boards plan rather than the letter. Last night completed a 15 mile LSR which has really boosted my confidence, but I feel I really need to hit all the sessions and LSRs between now and the marathon.

I’m slightly out of step with the plan and was looking for a bit of advice around how I should train between now and the Frank Duffy 10 mile. I also have a couple of weddings coming up in the next two weekends and will need to shuffle around one or two runs. I can do shorter runs on the morning of the weddings (1 hour or less) and recovery runs the day after but ideally wouldn’t like to have an LSR on the day of, or a session day after.

The questions I have would be:

Is it important to alternate between LSRs and the session runs? Or is it all the same as long as they get done.
    Is there any advice on the minimum time between sessions and LSRs?
    How many days prior to the 10 miler should my last LSR and session be?

I’ve run the 10 miler before and would love to do well, but I would treat it as an important run rather than a goal race. I want to be well prepared and get the most out of it in terms of my prep for DCM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Wouldn't mind an opinion on something regarding fitting the half marathon into the training plan.

According to the HH novice plan, on the 13th September I am supposed to do 19k, then 29k on the 20th, and 22.5k on the 27th. The following week is then the long 32.5k run.

The Dublin racing series HM is on 20th September. If it was the following week it would be perfect for the plan but it isn't, so what should I do?

Do I swap the 29k and the 22.5k around? That will mean a sequence of 19k, HM, 29K and then 32k, will it be much of a problem that there is no step-back week between the two long runs?

ChadHogan wrote: »
    Hi All,

It’s been a while since I posted. I was away on holidays for a couple of weeks and last week was just trying to ease myself back into the plan. Reporting that I was sweating, just thinking about going for a run wasn’t going to make interesting reading for anyone! Holidays weren’t a total disaster, I managed to get 5 runs of around hour in over the 2 weeks and only put on a kilo in weight, but I wasn’t exactly in flying form before I left either. Between injuries and holidays I had been following the spirit of the boards plan rather than the letter. Last night completed a 15 mile LSR which has really boosted my confidence, but I feel I really need to hit all the sessions and LSRs between now and the marathon.

I’m slightly out of step with the plan and was looking for a bit of advice around how I should train between now and the Frank Duffy 10 mile. I also have a couple of weddings coming up in the next two weekends and will need to shuffle around one or two runs. I can do shorter runs on the morning of the weddings (1 hour or less) and recovery runs the day after but ideally wouldn’t like to have an LSR on the day of, or a session day after.

The questions I have would be:

Is it important to alternate between LSRs and the session runs? Or is it all the same as long as they get done.
    Is there any advice on the minimum time between sessions and LSRs?
    How many days prior to the 10 miler should my last LSR and session be?

I’ve run the 10 miler before and would love to do well, but I would treat it as an important run rather than a goal race. I want to be well prepared and get the most out of it in terms of my prep for DCM.

Well done on getting some good running done during the hols. Not easy I know but it'll stand to you.
    If you're to miss a LSR or session, miss the session for sure. The LSR is BY FAR the most important run of the week. Drop the session if you're struggling to fit all the runs in.
    If you're doing both then try to leave 2 days at least between them. But if you're not feeling up to doing a lsr or session with only 2 days, don't force it. Wait until your body is ready. Everyone responds differently to lsr/sessions and recovery is different for everyone. General rule of thumb would be 2 days between the two.
    I wouldn't have a session or lsr sooner than 6/7 days before a goal race. You want to do well and be as fresh as possible so I'd run easy for most of the week before a goal race and just add in a few strides to some of your easy runs during the week.
    I'd do the LSR 7 days before the race, plenty of easy runs during the week, skip the session that week and then you're well set up for the race.

Wouldn't mind an opinion on something regarding fitting the half marathon into the training plan.

According to the HH novice plan, on the 13th September I am supposed to do 19k, then 29k on the 20th, and 22.5k on the 27th. The following week is then the long 32.5k run.

The Dublin racing series HM is on 20th September. If it was the following week it would be perfect for the plan but it isn't, so what should I do?

Do I swap the 29k and the 22.5k around? That will mean a sequence of 19k, HM, 29K and then 32k, will it be much of a problem that there is no step-back week between the two long runs?

If you don't mind I'll do up something for those of you following HH novice 1 and fitting in the Race Series Half Marathon later?
    I can't think in KMs:eek: and need to look at the plan properly and this is something which will arise a lot as so many people are following the HH1 plan so I think it's worth putting something together for everyone to follow who's in that predicament. Leave it with me, thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I can't think in KMs:eek:

It's not just you - I'm left scratching my head reading the updates from people who record in kms :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

An oldish post I saw from a novice marathoner on another thread about marathon training
    speaking with a friend of mine, a veteran of 7+ Marathons he felt that I was not doing enough short runs

I thought this was an unusual thing to say. What counts as a "Short run"? Because even looking at a sample of some advanced plans like JD, there's little to nothing in there that I'd call short runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Laois_Man wrote: »
    An oldish post I saw from a novice marathoner on another thread about marathon training

I thought this was an unusual thing to say. What counts as a "Short run"? Because even looking at a sample of some advanced plans like JD, there's little to nothing in there that I'd call short runs.

Maybe he meant the mileage over all per week was nt enough the short runs 5/6 miles were needed to bring up the mileage?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SoundoftheSea

Ok 3 miles done this afternoon in the lovely sunshine. Started off very slowly to try run at 12 mm

Mile 1 11.43 (First 1/2 mile small short incline/flat. Second 1/2 mile short steep incline/long steep decline)

Mile 2 12.33 (flat)

Mile 3 12.46 (mile 1 reversed)

Enjoyed the run and felt I got more benefit from being on my legs for longer. I was starting to feel a 3 mile run was too short and was considering running further but after reading Ososlo's advice I understand I need to slow down rather than run further.

Ok 3 miles done this afternoon in the lovely sunshine. Started off very slowly to try run at 12 mm

Mile 1 11.43 (First 1/2 mile small short incline/flat. Second 1/2 mile short steep incline/long steep decline)

Mile 2 12.33 (flat)

Mile 3 12.46 (mile 1 reversed)

Enjoyed the run and felt I got more benefit from being on my legs for longer. I was starting to feel a 3 mile run was too short and was considering running further but after reading Ososlo's advice I understand I need to slow down rather than run further.
    McMillan would have you running up to 12:50 for easy and recovery runs so that sounds about right today. Ensure you still concentrate on good running form even on the slower effort runs. Well done for slowing it down and hope you enjoyed it.

Elevation profile of new DCM route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Elevation profile of new DCM route
    yaboya1 wrote: »

Cool thanks yaboya.

Mods: if there was any chance of putting both these links at the end of Post One that would be super!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Cool thanks yaboya.

Mods: if there was any chance of putting both these links at the end of Post One that would be super!

I think you can do that yourself by editing the post?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I think you can do that yourself by editing the post?

Nope:( I think editing rights disappear after a certain amount of time.

• Advertisement

If you don't mind I'll do up something for those of you following HH novice 1 and fitting in the Race Series Half Marathon later?
    I can't think in KMs:eek: and need to look at the plan properly and this is something which will arise a lot as so many people are following the HH1 plan so I think it's worth putting something together for everyone to follow who's in that predicament. Leave it with me, thanks:)

Ok, Hal Novice 1 people, here's a link to a revised version of your plan for those of you doing the 10 Mile and Half Mara in the Race Series.
    It sticks with the Hal ethos of having 2 rest days before the race and a slightly decreased mileage on the week leading up and the week after. It's not much different at all.
    Let me know if it looks ok.
    If you're only doing the Half, then ignore my amendments for the week leading up to the 10.

If you're not doing the 10 Mile Race (and not doing the Hal scheduled Half Mara), just run Week 8 as it is in the original Hal Plan but instead of the Half Marathon he has scheduled, just run 13 miles that weekend as a LSR (not race pace).

I hope that makes sense!

Advertisement