Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

AK333 wrote: »
    I had minor surgery but with lingering side affects about 3 weeks ago and only back at Club from yesterday so I have some small goals - 5k with Ray in Cork in September, Tipperary Womens Mini marathon (10k) in September and if I'm feeling very adventurous the 10k in Kilsheelan, but its hilly. I feel I am starting from scratch at the moment, I'm very limited on how far I can run so I'll be back to the Novice thread next year for another crack at it. I am still following this thread and wish you all every success. I, and I'm sure other novices, get great incentives and courage from everyone's achievements. Keep up the good work!

Good to hear you're back at it and best of luck in the 5 and 10k in September. Keep us posted on your progress or start a log! Good idea to keep following here too. You'll pick up loads for next year. Your fitness will be back in no time.
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Bit of a disaster today... First proper planned session in about 2 1/2 weeks as yesterday was first day back on plan but was a recovery day. Had spent the last few days doing steady paced runs just to get a bit of pace back in the legs after two solid weeks of mainly easy paced running.

Anyway, back to today... my occasional running companion in work enquired if I was running today so we agreed to go for a spin at 2 o'clock. I let him know the planned session was 1.5 mile warmup with 1 mile at 10k ish pace, 4 min recovery, 2 mile 10k ish pace, 7 mins recovery and 1 mile pace, with warm down. 9ish miles in total. Warm-up went fine, but on the first pace mile it was clear he was struggling (He's much younger and faster than me). At this point when I enquired what was wrong, he tells me he had a chicken curry and chips for lunch only an hour ago!! He struggled on until 5 minutes into the second interval, at which point I had to make the call to abort the session as he was hurting bad, and needing to vomit, but refusing to. Was fairly annoyed but we tried to hold an easy pace and make our way back to the city. He couldn't even maintain this pace so after 15 minutes or so, I left him walk and continued on at a nice clip for the last two miles, so all was not lost. Please don't look down on me for deserting a fallen comrade!?! (If I didn't have to get back to work I might have been more supportive). Anyway, what I'm wondering is - the session ended up looking something like this - 1.5 mile Warm up, 1 mile 10k pace, 4 min recovery, 0.8mile 10k pace, 2.7 mile recovery and 2 mile 10k pace... Do I need to repeat the session properly or have I managed to salvage some benefit from the mess??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I would say no need to redo the session as it will impact on your other sessions this week, it was a good enough workout with 10K pace, just continue on with the plan.

I think you are a week ahead of me so you have a marathon pace session on Thursday anyway.

Was thinking along those lines alright, cheers! I think you're actually a week ahead of me, I'm on week 6 right now. Started two weeks early to allow for holidays, had hoped to only use one of those extra weeks but it wasn't to be. Lost one LSR at the end of week 5 as well. Lets hope nothing goes wrong between here and race day. You're on week 7 yes?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm on week 6, you appear to be on week 7. I'll be doing that session you mention above next week.

My plan:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13AuPkY07wXfnrSsZ-SkBwUMbzlnXDNlTY30-gN8fS2s/edit#gid=1078500440

• Advertisement

Actually I think I switched the weeks around to accommodate the 10 Mile race next week

Nope... Definitely week 6 for me. Just had a quick look at yours, you seem to have dropped the intervals on week 8, presumably for the 10 mile. You've switched the week 6 and 7 interval sessions too, possibly you did it and just forgot?

I've just lifted the plan straight from here. http://www.baa.org/programs/training-programs/marathon-training/intermediate-16-week-program.aspx

Must start editing to accommodate planned races I guess... Once I decide what they are! Really should get my act together on that one...

Just saw above post now! Sorry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I was suppose to do a 4 mile run tonight.
    Instead I moved 2 and a half ton of soil from my back garden to a Skip in my driveway.
    Does that count as a cardio workout!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Casey78 wrote: »
    I was suppose to do a 4 mile run tonight.
    Instead I moved 2 and a half ton of soil from my back garden to a Skip in my driveway.
    Does that count as a cardio workout!!:)

Only if you filled your boots ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

adrian522 wrote: »
    Actually I think I switched the weeks around to accommodate the 10 Mile race next week

I did this as well, how are you all finding the BAA plan..?

I find it good, but tough going at times, I can see my self dropping some of the Distance days in the weeks ahead just to give myself a bit of a break. Having said that after this week, the following week is a bit of a step back week with a max of only 50 miles, but in reality I'll probably run less than that.

I don't mind the sessions too much except when they are too close together. Also because the plan has so many miles and so many quality sessions I don't get too bothered about missing a day occasionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Moved this weeks runs all a day forward as ill be away from Thursday, So last night was 1w/u, 6pace, 1.5c/d. Pace miles were 8:45. But that's way too quick for anything longer!

Ill get 4 miles easy in today on my lunch then rest(beer and huge dinners) until Saturdays LSR. Temps forecast for 28-30 degrees where i'm going. Could prove useful if we get a heatwave for the marathon!!

Moved this weeks runs all a day forward as ill be away from Thursday, So last night was 1w/u, 6pace, 1.5c/d. Pace miles were 8:45. But that's way too quick for anything longer!

Ill get 4 miles easy in today on my lunch then rest(beer and huge dinners) until Saturdays LSR. Temps forecast for 28-30 degrees where i'm going. Could prove useful if we get a heatwave for the marathon!!
    If the mp miles are proving a tad challenging maybe slow it down a bit. Make sure you're basing the pace on or around your current ability for mp. A bit more effort than easy pace....
    Enjoy the lsr in the sun! Adjust pace/effort accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 locombia

Is anybody else out there finding trouble going to sleep at night due to legs still 'going' from running that evening? I'm following my clubs plan and I'm running 5-6 miles tuesdays and wed, one easy, the other steady for the last few weeks. I do a good bit of stretching and foam rolling after but when I go to bed (exhausted from the day) my legs still have a throbbing feeling. Not painful but it just feels like they have not rested properly?

locombia wrote: »
    Is anybody else out there finding trouble going to sleep at night due to legs still 'going' from running that evening? I'm following my clubs plan and I'm running 5-6 miles tuesdays and wed, one easy, the other steady for the last few weeks. I do a good bit of stretching and foam rolling after but when I go to bed (exhausted from the day) my legs still have a throbbing feeling. Not painful but it just feels like they have not rested properly?
    Could be restless leg syndrome. Google it. Maybe mention it t o a doctor at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Yes, whenever I do a late LSR, I have a bad night trying to sleep...not just the legs, you feel like your brain is still hopping up and down along the road.

Just the LSR though. Anything under 10 miles or so seems fine for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

An interesting site which shows comments on DCM from people all over the world who have run multiple different marathons all over....it makes me really look forward to the day

http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=568141027

Dub13 wrote: »
    I did this as well, how are you all finding the BAA plan..?

Tough and challenging, in every aspect! Planning the time for the runs and executing the runs... One of the major changes for me is changing paces in runs. Before I would have done a range of run lengths and paces, but the pace stayed the same from start to finish of each individual run. Changing gears is proving difficult.

Liking doing the higher mileage, although I do feel at times with this plan that its a fine line between finding your limit and getting the most out of yourself while leaving yourself fresh for next week.

I like the feel of the plan, in the way it builds the MP miles into the runs...

The results will tell all I guess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I know people who lie down with their legs in the air for 5-10 mins after really hard runs, but its only after a hard workout.

Do you wear compression socks while running?
    Do you foam roll every day?

• Advertisement

Question for the guys doing the BAA plan.
    How do you pick your marathon pace? Is it your 'aspired to' marathon pace?

training mp I mean..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Is anybody else out there finding trouble going to sleep at night due to legs still 'going' from running that evening?

I don't know if its legs still running, but I am having a little difficulty with sleeping which I am surprised about.

I have never been a good sleeper anyway but I would have expected all the exercise and fresh air to make it easier for me to sleep. Instead I generally seem to be more awake come bedtime around midnight. I run after work usually, around 5pm, so you think I would be more tired later on.

Ososlo wrote: »

training mp I mean..

Mine is paced off a recent race pace, so at the start I put in my 5 Mile time from Terenure into McMillian and VDOT calculators and saw what it threw out for marathon and based the pace off that.

For the Marathon pace at the end of long runs etc have been a bit slower, more based on effort but for workouts with say 2x15 mins @ M-Pace I would aim for that number based off my 5 Mile time.

In the meantime I've done a 10K and that has not really changed my marathon pace time all that much so I'm sticking with what I had. As I get fitter that pace starts to feel easier so obviously doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

1m w/u, 4m tempo @ 8.17, 1m c/d done. its windy out there, but temperature is great. Nice day for a run.

training mp I mean..

Same as others, plugged a few race results into McMillan and vdot. Got a range of times with 20 minutes between top and bottom prediction so picked the midrange pace. I do feel at this point it's a very aggressive target, but I'm willing to pull back the target time nearer the day when I know more. Taking it week by week for now. Can manage the pace fine in the plan so far but haven't had to put more than 4 of them together back to back. Don't see me putting 26 and a bit of them together in 10 weeks time... Yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭rockwell

likewise I'm experiencing something similar.I've found I've got a better nights sleep after having an epsom salt bath. Whether that is the epsom working or just a relaxing bath i don't know but might be something to look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭rockwell

Laois_Man wrote: »
    An interesting site which shows comments on DCM from people all over the world who have run multiple different marathons all over....it makes me really look forward to the day

http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=568141027

good find laois_man. good to see all the positive feedback. also like the pace wristband maker on the site, might come in useful.

rockwell wrote: »
    good find laois_man. good to see all the positive feedback. also like the pace wristband maker on the site, might come in useful.

There are free pace bands for your wrist at the expo when you pick up your race number. You can also have a chat with the pacers at the stand. Most pacers are boardsies.

Just stay away from any of the 3:40 pacers ;)
    They might not even turn up on the day :) or if they do they might not make it the whole way round :)

I've never followed pacers for any race but may consider it for this race.

Another part of me thinks just go out at a slower pace than what I feel I can do and pick up the pace if I have any energy around mile 20 or 22.

Or else just race off like a lunatic at the start and be in a heap by mile 3.

All legitimate strategies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just stay away from any of the 3:40 pacers ;)
    They might not even turn up on the day :) or if they do they might not make it the whole way round :)

I resemble that remark..............

Advertisement