Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

So three milestones met this past week

- first run over 13.1miles (of my life :-))
    - probably the highest-mileage week I've done (just over 31 miles)
    - I kept the pace for most of my Long Run down at 9:30 this evening, and although this is slightly fast for a LSR, it's better
    than the past 5weeks where I ran my 12milers at 9:00 pace. A Long "Slowish" Run.

Total running for the week was

Wednesday: 7miles steady run at average pace 8:40 in 19C sunshine

Thursday: 6miles comfortable/consistent run at average pace 9:12

Saturday am: Parkrun with mile-paces roughly 7:30, 7:30, 7:50 and run-in 7:30
    [this was more consistent than it looks because there was a stiff wind against us for the return leg of the Parkrun. Not a PB,
    but I'd decided not to even try for that after experiencing the battle against the wind when cycling out that morning.]

Monday pm: 15mile run with 12 hilly miles at average 9:30 pace, and the last 3miles (flattish/slightly-downhill) at 8:18 (mile13), 8:27 (mile14), 8:19(mile15). Cloudy 13C with a light breeze.
    [the paces over the 12 miles varied a bit, with slowest at about 10:55 and fastest at 8:15. This is because the route has
    some long upward and downward hills, I think my effort was pretty consistent]

This week was a bit of a struggle, partly because of work/life commitments, but also a lack of motivation. And after complaining about too-much heat last Saturday, in fact it's not much fun running in 12C either ... Both the Wednesday and Monday run were planned for a day earlier. Anyway I'm glad I managed to bully myself out eventually for all 4 runs. I am feeling pretty good after the 15miler, so maybe the slower pace of the first 12 helped with that. But will only be sure when I finish eating and start trying to tidy the flat ;-) (also delayed from the weekend!)

PS was wondering - for rockwell, could he/she not just move back the long run a day early/late to separate it from the 5mile race. Assuming commitments allow?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I have been keeping my eye on the site that sells the running shorts mentioned in the first post on this thread, they don't have my size in any colour. I hope they get some of the Large ones in soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Ososlo wrote: »
    Dunno laura, bit of a bummer but don't wear them if they're not right.
    All I know is that any time I go to AK to pick up the same runners I always wear, I want to grab the box and go, but they always insist I try them on first to make sure they're comfortable. Maybe you could post the question on the Gear & Equip Thread if you don't get much feedback here.
    If I was you and I had the cash I'd go try on another pair in AK in the next few weeks whether they're the same brand or a different one. It's good you noticed this now and not the day before DCM:eek:

Thanks O - yeah this is exactly why I started thinking about bit now! Hadn't realized I'd put so many miles on the current pair. Still a good bit of life in them yet obviously but with half the plan to go it's worth thinking about now and to have time to make sure any new ones are phased in and used on lsr etc.

I remember the first pair feeling so comfy when I ran in them first, these new ones are definitely different. Think I'll play it safe and take a trip to AK and see what they recommend.

Take heed fellow novices :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Dub13 wrote: »
    I have been keeping my eye on the site that sells the running shorts mentioned in the first post on this thread, they don't have my size in any colour. I hope they get some of the Large ones in soon.

Ah that's a shame. Size 8 for ladies any good to ya?:D I've got 2 pairs going a-begging!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

I was a bit uncertain of ordering online without knowing which size is best for me but I found a pair of shorts that are very similar in a run/cycle shop in Liffey Valley. They have 1 zip up pocket & 4 elastic pockets that are perfect for gels. They're the Ronhill trail cargo shorts & I have to say they're brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Nicsx wrote: »
    I was a bit uncertain of ordering online without knowing which size is best for me but I found a pair of shorts that are very similar in a run/cycle shop in Liffey Valley. They have 1 zip up pocket & 4 elastic pockets that are perfect for gels. They're the Ronhill trail cargo shorts & I have to say they're brilliant.

Thanks for the heads up, if my size does not coming up in the next week or 2 I may look into others. I cant run with a belt so need some kind of shorts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Nicsx wrote: »

Where in Liffey Valley is this shop?.
    Do you mean Wheelworx in Fonthill?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

Casey78 wrote: »
    Where in Liffey Valley is this shop?.
    Do you mean Wheelworx in Fonthill?

Yes, that's the one. They had both men's & women's when I got mine although it was maybe a month ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I've had the same problem but I've been waiting for the medium size. Took the plunge last week and ordered the small. Think I might get away with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    So I've been running in the first pair ever since I got them with no problems - have clocked up about 250 miles in them. Decided recently I'd start easing the others in so I'd be ready before the big day. But the problem is they're not comfortable at all. Tried wearing them on a couple of short runs and they just don't feel right with tonight being the worst. Uncomfortable at best and sore at times. I've tried loosening them, tightening them, adjusting the laces and nothing seems to help. In fact my legs in general didn't feel right.

I've had the same thing happen me. After years of just buying off the shelf I got gait analysis done and bought an expensive pair of Brooks trainers. They were amazing, totally changed the running experience for me, no more sore feet! Last winter I bought a second pair of Brooks, same model from the same shop, but almost straight away I could tell there was a difference. I could run in them, but I was getting aches and pains and the soles of my feet were sore after even short runs. When I started the HH1 plan in July I bought another pair of new trainers, Asics this time, and they are so good I'm wondering how I put up with the Brooks for that six months!

It can definitely happen, and I guess with something like footwear small differences in the build or quality are going to be magnified when you are running for hundreds of km in them. My advice would be to make the call and get another new pair, its really not worth it to run on uncomfortable shoes, I certainly wish I'd dumped that 2nd set of Brooks trainers a lot earlier!

• Advertisement

So three milestones met this past week

- first run over 13.1miles (of my life :-))
    - probably the highest-mileage week I've done (just over 31 miles)
    - I kept the pace for most of my Long Run down at 9:30 this evening, and although this is slightly fast for a LSR, it's better
    than the past 5weeks where I ran my 12milers at 9:00 pace. A Long "Slowish" Run.

Total running for the week was

Wednesday: 7miles steady run at average pace 8:40 in 19C sunshine

Thursday: 6miles comfortable/consistent run at average pace 9:12

Saturday am: Parkrun with mile-paces roughly 7:30, 7:30, 7:50 and run-in 7:30
    [this was more consistent than it looks because there was a stiff wind against us for the return leg of the Parkrun. Not a PB,
    but I'd decided not to even try for that after experiencing the battle against the wind when cycling out that morning.]

Monday pm: 15mile run with 12 hilly miles at average 9:30 pace, and the last 3miles (flattish/slightly-downhill) at 8:18 (mile13), 8:27 (mile14), 8:19(mile15). Cloudy 13C with a light breeze.
    [the paces over the 12 miles varied a bit, with slowest at about 10:55 and fastest at 8:15. This is because the route has
    some long upward and downward hills, I think my effort was pretty consistent]

This week was a bit of a struggle, partly because of work/life commitments, but also a lack of motivation. And after complaining about too-much heat last Saturday, in fact it's not much fun running in 12C either ... Both the Wednesday and Monday run were planned for a day earlier. Anyway I'm glad I managed to bully myself out eventually for all 4 runs. I am feeling pretty good after the 15miler, so maybe the slower pace of the first 12 helped with that. But will only be sure when I finish eating and start trying to tidy the flat ;-) (also delayed from the weekend!)

PS was wondering - for rockwell, could he/she not just move back the long run a day early/late to separate it from the 5mile race. Assuming commitments allow?

Well done great week for you!
    Re rockwell- I just wonder would it be a little too much too close together. Esp if he's going all-out for the race and wants to really race it. Personally I think he'd be fine missing one lsr if most of them have been done to date and he adds on a few miles to make it a decent daily total.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I've had the same thing happen me. After years of just buying off the shelf I got gait analysis done and bought an expensive pair of Brooks trainers. They were amazing, totally changed the running experience for me, no more sore feet! Last winter I bought a second pair of Brooks, same model from the same shop, but almost straight away I could tell there was a difference. I could run in them, but I was getting aches and pains and the soles of my feet were sore after even short runs. When I started the HH1 plan in July I bought another pair of new trainers, Asics this time, and they are so good I'm wondering how I put up with the Brooks for that six months!

It can definitely happen, and I guess with something like footwear small differences in the build or quality are going to be magnified when you are running for hundreds of km in them. My advice would be to make the call and get another new pair, its really not worth it to run on uncomfortable shoes, I certainly wish I'd dumped that 2nd set of Brooks trainers a lot earlier!

Thanks for the feedback, interesting to hear something similar. Yeah definitely, think I'll head in and pick up something else. Might get some use out of them next year for shorter distances or non running stuff but for now I won't be taking a chance!

Carrying a few niggles and pains today, had a physio appointment last night and I appear to have a lot of overtight muscles/ligaments so need to focus on stretching more and get a sports massage more regularly.

I'm wondering what the longterm effect of skipping the midweek runs this week would be? I do feel like I need a few days to let the body rest, and as its a stepback week anyway is this the time to do it?

I was considering skipping the midweek runs, then doing the scheduled LSR of 16km on friday, am I being over cautious do you think?

Carrying a few niggles and pains today, had a physio appointment last night and I appear to have a lot of overtight muscles/ligaments so need to focus on stretching more and get a sports massage more regularly.

I'm wondering what the longterm effect of skipping the midweek runs this week would be? I do feel like I need a few days to let the body rest, and as its a stepback week anyway is this the time to do it?

I was considering skipping the midweek runs, then doing the scheduled LSR of 16km on friday, am I being over cautious do you think?

If you're listening to your body closely, and it's telling you to back-off for a few days, then that's exactly what you should do. And as you say, it's a step-back week anyways so a good time to rest up.
    Great idea getting the sports massage and try schedule a few more in between now and the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I'm on my second pair of the Brooks. First pair perfect, second pair the only difference is they are this year's, glycerine 11 rather than 10. Got them in AK and they were brilliant. Somehow, even though size and width are identical the second pair are slightly bigger so I get a recurring blister. I'll still go back to AK as realised reading Lauras post mine will be 6 months in October and I am not running in worn runners. will also get their grid foam roller as Physio knows I am not stretching before a run.
    The pain when he eased out thighs and calves so stretch!
    4m speed set done and knee ok. 4 strides attempted at speed.
    Apologies to those eating but anyone else have a sore from streaming nose (SORRY) that won't heal?

aquinn wrote: »
    Apologies to those eating but anyone else have a sore from streaming nose (SORRY) that won't heal?

I've had that ever since I started running aquinn. It's such a nuisance. Mine is usually only really bad during the winter but this summer it didn't stop streaming at all. I found it tricky to cope with on the very long runs and my nose would even bleed a little as it got so sore from the streaming and constant friction of rubbing it.
    I got so sick of bringing 55 tissues on each run so now wear a wrist sweat band (sorry, gross I know but needs must!) and try not to rub but dab.
    Sorry everyone for gross post:o
    So, you're not alone:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Thank you! Really appreciate your honesty.
    You are fantastic!

You are fantastic!

Ah now, I wouldn't go that far:o. Maybe a little bit :D

You are fantastic!

Here's a whole thread devoted to the topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jelly Legs

Hi all, haven't been posting much but have kept following the thread. I was doing pretty well on the Boards plan up to last week. I did the Rock n Roll half early August and that was a disappointing experience - picked what should have been a conservative goal but ended up almost 4 minutes over that (and a minute slower than my first half marathon :( ). Anyway the race took a toll on my legs and ended up with a bit of a hamstring niggle so took a few days off to let that settle. Did my 15M long run the following Saturday and that aggravated it and only managed one mile of the pace run last Tuesday. It feels pretty ok now (lots of foam rolling and will be seeing my physio on Thurs week) but now I have a cold! I tend to get bad colds and it wouldn't be unusual for them to last over three weeks so I actually skipped my (17M) long run last weekend to see if I could nip it in the bud (still have it but it hasn't gotten worse/gone into my chest so the plan may have worked). I'm entered into the race series 10M this weekend and I was wondering whether I should go ahead and write last week off and continue on with this week's plan or whether last week should be repeated - with the 6M pace run and the 17 long run it seems pretty important but, on the other hand, I could really do with a good race to build my confidence up as I've had a few bad experiences now this year. Thanks everyone :)

• Advertisement

Jelly Legs wrote: »
    Hi all, haven't been posting much but have kept following the thread. I was doing pretty well on the Boards plan up to last week. I did the Rock n Roll half early August and that was a disappointing experience - picked what should have been a conservative goal but ended up almost 4 minutes over that (and a minute slower than my first half marathon :( ). Anyway the race took a toll on my legs and ended up with a bit of a hamstring niggle so took a few days off to let that settle. Did my 15M long run the following Saturday and that aggravated it and only managed one mile of the pace run last Tuesday. It feels pretty ok now (lots of foam rolling and will be seeing my physio on Thurs week) but now I have a cold! I tend to get bad colds and it wouldn't be unusual for them to last over three weeks so I actually skipped my (17M) long run last weekend to see if I could nip it in the bud (still have it but it hasn't gotten worse/gone into my chest so the plan may have worked). I'm entered into the race series 10M this weekend and I was wondering whether I should go ahead and write last week off and continue on with this week's plan or whether last week should be repeated - with the 6M pace run and the 17 long run it seems pretty important but, on the other hand, I could really do with a good race to build my confidence up as I've had a few bad experiences now this year. Thanks everyone :)

If I were you I'd forget about the missed week and do the race if feeling better. Take the lead up to it very easy though. Get out for a few short easy runs if you can between now and then but not if you're feeling sick. If you feel good the day of the race then do a mile or two warmup, race the race and a good cool down jog. See how you are then the following day to do a recovery jog and ease back into things slowly next week.
    If you get colds easily, you'll have to be extra careful to keep yourself healthy with the rest of the hard training between now and the big day. Ensure you're getting plenty of sleep and rest and eating (lots of fresh fruit and veg esp) and hydrating really well. This will be very important during taper too when a lot of people get colds/sore throats etc due to the immune system maybe being a little weakened.

Thanks Ososlo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

OK....I know I mentioned this once before....... I will just ask once more on this thread. Promise

Please consider joining myself and Packie on Oct 27th

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=793676530682907&id=770043803046180&refid=7&_ft_=qid.6049401904785167361%3Amf_story_key.-421074250477111586&__tn__=%2As

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Woke this morning with a bit of a dead leg. Did some different stretches lastnight, hoping its just from that and nothing more sinister :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I have only just realised there's a 'total miles run since week zero' in the mileage tracker.... I've run 148 miles in the last 8 weeks which is the same as running from Dublin to Letterkenny :-) :-) nice little boost for a Wednesday morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

Firedance wrote: »
    I have only just realised there's a 'total miles run since week zero' in the mileage tracker.... I've run 148 miles in the last 8 weeks which is the same as running from Dublin to Letterkenny :-) :-) nice little boost for a Wednesday morning

You're no 'Adrian522' though! ;)

Nor am I sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

Hi everyone,

I was looking for a recommendation for shorts for the Marathon. I know there is a link to a recommended pair of shorts in the first post, but I believe these shorts have a net type liner. Let's just say these liners have caused me some difficulties in the past.

I have a couple of pairs of Nike Dri-fit shorts which come with a lycra inner liner, and I have no issues with these, however the only pocket on these is a single zip which fits a small ipod nano, a key and some money. So I was looking for something something similar with extra pockets basically for carrying a couple of gels. Google has let me down to date.

I would like to avoid wearing a belt if possible, but would consider it if I can't find what I'm after.

frash wrote: »
    You're no 'Adrian522' though! ;)

Nor am I sadly

I actually updated my mileage on the spreadsheet last night for the first time in a couple of weeks and was amazed at some people's mileage. Feeling inadequate! Anyway the main thing is that we all make it to the start line in one piece :) will be interesting to see how many miles we've done as a group by the time race day comes around

Decided to try a 5k last night, got 20 yards down the street and had to turn back due to the pain in my right hip/groin. :(

Really hope this isn't the beginning of the end for my marathon ambition, I'll rest it again tonight and tomorrow and perhaps even skip this week completely, but I can't imagine I have much scope to miss big chunks of the plan at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

ChadHogan wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I was looking for a recommendation for shorts for the Marathon. I know there is a link to a recommended pair of shorts in the first post, but I believe these shorts have a net type liner. Let's just say these liners have caused me some difficulties in the past.

I have a couple of pairs of Nike Dri-fit shorts which come with a lycra inner liner, and I have no issues with these, however the only pocket on these is a single zip which fits a small ipod nano, a key and some money. So I was looking for something something similar with extra pockets basically for carrying a couple of gels. Google has let me down to date.

I would like to avoid wearing a belt if possible, but would consider it if I can't find what I'm after.

A scissors is your friend in these situations :) Cut the net out ! I hate nets too and happily cut them out of any of mine.

Advertisement