Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

ChadHogan wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I was looking for a recommendation for shorts for the Marathon. I know there is a link to a recommended pair of shorts in the first post, but I believe these shorts have a net type liner. Let's just say these liners have caused me some difficulties in the past.

I have a couple of pairs of Nike Dri-fit shorts which come with a lycra inner liner, and I have no issues with these, however the only pocket on these is a single zip which fits a small ipod nano, a key and some money. So I was looking for something something similar with extra pockets basically for carrying a couple of gels. Google has let me down to date.

I would like to avoid wearing a belt if possible, but would consider it if I can't find what I'm after.

I got these ones from North Face. They were on sale in 53 degrees north a couple of weeks back so you might get them there. 2 side pockets at the back for gels.

Link here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

My planned Sunday morning run of 13 miles at 6.30am did not go to plan. My knee starting playing up again about a mile into it so I turned back and ended up doing just 1.8 miles.

I then did stretches when I got in and also had a ice bath which is not what most people are doing at that time of day on a Sunday morning! I then decided that I would try and give my knee time so did nothing for two days besides walk to work each day which is not the least bit painful.

I then decided that I had to get a run into me before Saturdays race just to try and keep a bit of fitness in me so did 3.6 miles today pretty much all on grass. Afterwards I again stretched and had a ice bath to try and help my muscles repair quicker, my knee was just starting to ache when I finished the run, although the pain was fine compared with last week.

I am finally going to buy a foam roller on Thursday and will now just take it easy before Saturdays race with finishing being the aim rather than a decent time :(

I weighed myself today for the first time in a few weeks and despite not training much, I've managed to lose a further 5lb! Assume its muscle loss though sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Mileage tracker doesn't seem to want to work for me! I got the first 2 weeks entered but I cannot go any further. I hope its not an omen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Joleigh wrote: »
    Mileage tracker doesn't seem to want to work for me! I got the first 2 weeks entered but I cannot go any further. I hope its not an omen!

ok yeah there were problems with it last week and I got someone to try to fix it. Someone deleted their name and details and there was a knock-on effect for some others. You were obviously one.
    I'll get someone to look at it tonight as I'm not knowledgeable enough to fix it.
    Hope that's ok...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

From the Amphibian King Facebook page

"Any First Time Marathon runners out there, or if you know someone doing Dublin for the first time. Please share this with them.

Hunt Films are currently developing a documentary about marathon running. As part of the research they are interested in speaking to anyone who is planning to run the SSE Airtricity Dublin Marathon for the first time in the next few months. If you are interested in sharing your story, please email your name and contact details to barry@huntfilms.ie and they will be in touch
    ."

• Advertisement

frash wrote: »
    From the Amphibian King Facebook page

"Any First Time Marathon runners out there, or if you know someone doing Dublin for the first time. Please share this with them.

Hunt Films are currently developing a documentary about marathon running. As part of the research they are interested in speaking to anyone who is planning to run the SSE Airtricity Dublin Marathon for the first time in the next few months. If you are interested in sharing your story, please email your name and contact details to barry@huntfilms.ie and they will be in touch
    ."

Cool! you can all be film stars:D Sign up immediately! I insist!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

Ososlo wrote: »
    I've had that ever since I started running aquinn. It's such a nuisance. Mine is usually only really bad during the winter but this summer it didn't stop streaming at all. I found it tricky to cope with on the very long runs and my nose would even bleed a little as it got so sore from the streaming and constant friction of rubbing it.
    I got so sick of bringing 55 tissues on each run so now wear a wrist sweat band (sorry, gross I know but needs must!) and try not to rub but dab.
    Sorry everyone for gross post:o
    So, you're not alone:(

I too suffer from a constant streaming nose when I run. Tissues last about two minutes before disintegrating so I take wads of kitchen roll which of course is not very soft. At the end of my long runs I look like Rudolph with my red nose :) It also effects my breathing as my nose is kind of blocked at the same time.

I have ordered a new pair of runners online, they are the same as a previous pair of mine which are no longer available in the shops. My current ones are over 6 months old now and looking a bit worn. Fingers crossed the new ones are ok!

Step back week for me too this week. I'm away at the weekend so I won't get a long run in but I'm hoping to make up for it by running short distances (4-6 miles) 6 days this week as long as I am feeling up to it. Isn't it mad how relative distances are? This time last year 4-6 miles would have been a really long run for me!

Ososlo wrote: »
    ok yeah there were problems with it last week and I got someone to try to fix it. Someone deleted their name and details and there was a knock-on effect for some others. You were obviously one.
    I'll get someone to look at it tonight as I'm not knowledgeable enough to fix it.
    Hope that's ok...

Thanks Ososlo, but I don't think I was ever on it in the first place! Filled in week one and 2 but its frozen on me now. No panic. I've lived without it for this long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I'm on it - will sort you out now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Hi Ososlo and co,

I'm a bit late to the party here but am mulling over doing my first marathon and am trying to see how late you can start training and still reasonably expect to finish one.

I ask because I'm mainly cycling at the moment and am training for a 160km sportive in mid September, so weekends are taken up with a long cycle rather than a long run. Realistically, I'm not going to be able to start long run training until the 27th September. Is it possible (however painful) to get through the marathon on 4-5 weeks training?

As background, I was training for the Connemarathon 3 years ago and kept getting ITB issues so ended up dropping down to the half. I haven't done any sort of long distance training since then but have a good base level of fitness. My thinking here is that maybe it's better to just do a lot of cross training with a few long runs to avoid any sort of ITB injury issues and then go for the marathon. I realise i'll probably destroying myself in the process, but it will be one short sharp injurious run rather than months of wear and tear. I have no plans to ever do a second one so a long-term level of long distance fitness isn't important to me. Is this a really stupid plan?

I can currently run a 5k in under 20 min and 10k in about 42 min if that provides any indication.

Any advice (short of name calling) would be very welcome.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Have added you in properly Joleigh

Also took the liberty of adding a few extra spare slots at the end of week 9 (current week) for anyone joining late.

If you are late joining rather than trying to add back in each week which is very time consuming and likely to break the sheet I'd suggest just adding up your weekly mileage to date and including that in Mondays figure just so that the mileage to date will be added.

I also fixed up the totals so they are displaying correctly. As a group we are currently heading for 5,800 miles logged.

Hi Ososlo and co,

I'm a bit late to the party here but am mulling over doing my first marathon and am trying to see how late you can start training and still reasonably expect to finish one.

I ask because I'm mainly cycling at the moment and am training for a 160km sportive in mid September, so weekends are taken up with a long cycle rather than a long run. Realistically, I'm not going to be able to start long run training until the 27th September. Is it possible (however painful) to get through the marathon on 4-5 weeks training?

As background, I was training for the Connemarathon 3 years ago and kept getting ITB issues so ended up dropping down to the half. I haven't done any sort of long distance training since then but have a good base level of fitness. My thinking here is that maybe it's better to just do a lot of cross training with a few long runs to avoid any sort of ITB injury issues and then go for the marathon. I realise i'll probably destroying myself in the process, but it will be one short sharp injurious run rather than months of wear and tear. I have no plans to ever do a second one so a long-term level of long distance fitness isn't important to me. Is this a really stupid plan?

I can currently run a 5k in under 20 min and 10k in about 42 min if that provides any indication.

Cheers

My 2 cents (subject to ironic hypocrisy)

You could finish it yes - whether it is in tremendous pain and would you actually enjoy it or not would remain to be seen. You will probably have enough cardio fitness to do it (I believe a marathon equivalent cycle would be over 200k) maybe requiring a bit of walking at the tail end. But your legs, muscles etc won't be anywhere near ready for a run of that distance in 5 weeks. They would most likely fall apart on you. I'm speaking as someone who tried their first marathon not prepared enough at all due to injury and it wasn't too pleasant a last 10 miles. Am still proud of it mind you but I do know it wasn't smart.

I'd question why you really do want to do the marathon and if there is such a burning desire to do it why then attempt to do it half arsed and half killing yourself in the process.

Sorry if that sounds harsh. I do believe you could do it. I'd be afraid though that it wouldn't be worth it. If you are going to do just one in your life make sure it's enjoyable.

Have added you in properly Joleigh

Also took the liberty of adding a few extra spare slots at the end of week 9 (current week) for anyone joining late.

If you are late joining rather than trying to add back in each week which is very time consuming and likely to break the sheet I'd suggest just adding up your weekly mileage to date and including that in Mondays figure just so that the mileage to date will be added.

I also fixed up the totals so they are displaying correctly. As a group we are currently heading for 5,800 miles logged.
    thanks pm! appreciate that!

Hi Ososlo and co,

Cheers
    Hi there! Got to agree with PM.

What would you really get out of completing it this year in pain?
    Of course you could do it this year and finish it if you're prepared to walk a lot of it and suffer a lot. But what's the point? Would you not be better off getting to the bottom of your IT band injuries and train for it properly next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Hi Ososlo and co,

Cheers

Fwiw I'm in a similar boat. I've done virtually no running all summer and I'm doing the SKT 160 on Sunday. I assume you are doing the rebel tour??

I'm pacing dcm which will be my 6th marathon, my 5th being London back in April. My plan is to jump in at 12 miles after the Kelly tour and build it up to get to 2 * 20 over the 9 weeks to dcm. I'm going to be cutting it fine and if I hadn't the few marathons behind me I wouldn't even consider it.

There is no way you'll be able to get adequate mileage in over 4/5 weeks from what is essentially a standing start. I know you'll have great fitness from the bike but it's just not enough. Same engine, different parts!

If I were you I wouldn't even be considering the marathon this time around.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Rather that waiting another week or so to see if the best running shorts in the world mentioned in the first post here got my size in I decided to send them an email. Its not good news.
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for your message. Recently it seems RaceReady in the US have gone into some financial difficulty and so for the moment there is no more supply. I hope they could get back up and running again during the Autumn and that we could replenish supplies around then...

Best regards

Keith

Its a shame as Ososlo rated them so much, she must have been on good commission...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

What's all this talk of special shorts? Find your favourite trousers and cut the legs off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Dub13 wrote: »
    Rather that waiting another week or so to see if the best running shorts in the world mentioned in the first post here got my size in I decided to send them an email. Its not good news.

Its a shame as Ososlo rated them so much, she must have been on good commission...:D

My small pair arrived this morning. haven't tried them on yet but they look just marvellous :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Laois_Man wrote: »
    My small pair arrived this morning. haven't tried them on yet but they look just marvellous :D

Well with my long legs (and no shorts) I will have to take less steps on the day...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Gavlor wrote: »
    Fwiw I'm in a similar boat. I've done virtually no running all summer and I'm doing the SKT 160 on Sunday. I assume you are doing the rebel tour??

I'm pacing dcm which will be my 6th marathon, my 5th being London back in April. My plan is to jump in at 12 miles after the Kelly tour and build it up to get to 2 * 20 over the 9 weeks to dcm. I'm going to be cutting it fine and if I hadn't the few marathons behind me I wouldn't even consider it.

There is no way you'll be able to get adequate mileage in over 4/5 weeks from what is essentially a standing start. I know you'll have great fitness from the bike but it's just not enough. Same engine, different parts!

If I were you I wouldn't even be considering the marathon this time around.

Cheers for all the replies!

Yeah Gavlor it's the Rebel Tour I'm training for, although again I only signed up last week. I need to plan things better:D

I've the WW200 done this year already so I could probably get away with lowering the cycling mileage and upping the running (currently running 5-10k twice a week). I was even considering back to back long run/long cycle days on the weekend but I think that would just be asking for trouble.

Given what you've said (and you've done a few marathons before!) I think I'm probably best to put it off until next year. Paris maybe. TBH doing a marathon is a bit of a monkey on my back at this stage and I really just want to get it over and done with before my body starts to fall apart.

Regarding the ITB issue, all that you've said above is great advice. I actually got it looked into at the time and the real issue is not having enough strength in the glutes to keep my knees stable, with the result that the ITB has to step in and compensate. Worked on it a good bit and managed to get through a half ironman last year, but I definitely notice ITB/knee pain after anything over 10k.

I guess I've just never been able to keep a consistent run training program going without injury, which is why I thought maybe the best plan was just to go for it and worry about the consequences later. Maybe I'll just try to build some glute strength over the winter months and kickstart a proper program for Paris in January. Who knows, maybe actually making a plan and sticking to it will be nice for a change :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Cheers for all the replies!

Yeah Gavlor it's the Rebel Tour I'm training for, although again I only signed up last week. I need to plan things better:D

I've the WW200 done this year already so I could probably get away with lowering the cycling mileage and upping the running (currently running 5-10k twice a week). I was even considering back to back long run/long cycle days on the weekend but I think that would just be asking for trouble.

Given what you've said (and you've done a few marathons before!) I think I'm probably best to put it off until next year. Paris maybe. TBH doing a marathon is a bit of a monkey on my back at this stage and I really just want to get it over and done with before my body starts to fall apart.

Regarding the ITB issue, all that you've said above is great advice. I actually got it looked into at the time and the real issue is not having enough strength in the glutes to keep my knees stable, with the result that the ITB has to step in and compensate. Worked on it a good bit and managed to get through a half ironman last year, but I definitely notice ITB/knee pain after anything over 10k.

I guess I've just never been able to keep a consistent run training program going without injury, which is why I thought maybe the best plan was just to go for it and worry about the consequences later. Maybe I'll just try to build some glute strength over the winter months and kickstart a proper program for Paris in January. Who knows, maybe actually making a plan and sticking to it will be nice for a change :rolleyes:

With your shorter race times, if you put in a good year of training you could have a great marathon debut. Hope you get your injuries sorted soon!

Dub13 wrote: »

Ososlo is a woman???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

went out for a 4 mile run last night, barely made it through 2 miles - felt weak and dizzy and when I stopped my hands were shaking - very very odd, anyone ever experienced this? I was fine once I stopped running & walked home, had some water and my dinner and all grand then. I had eaten toast with jam an hour before hand, I never usually eat jam so wondering if it might have been a sugar crash?? and I though had drank enough water during the day but I guess it could have been dehydration either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Could be something like that alright.

I was reading a bit about this the other day.

"Eating simple carbohydrates causes a rise in insulin to reduce levels of blood sugar; exercise also reduces blood sugar. If you combine the two back-to-back, your blood sugar levels drop too low and you get light-headed."

http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-for-runners/halftime-fueling-problems

Ososlo is a woman???

:D

She is indeed.

I've no idea why I had a man in my head. I suppose Ososlo is a unisex name. I need to change my mental image now!!

Oh wait...I do know....its because the marathon shorts on the first page are mens!

I've no idea why I had a man in my head. I suppose Ososlo is a unisex name. I need to change my mental image now!!

You should try going to one of the boards beers. Nobody looks like what you expect at all if you haven't seen a photo in advance. :)

On that subject folks - it's traditional for the boards crowd to pick a pub (normally mcgrattans) for a celebration meet up after the race. Hopefully get to meet a few of you in person there.

Straight after the race or after going home for a shower? I've never met anyone. But I have checked out a few pacers :D

Straight after the race or after going home for a shower? I've never met anyone. But I have checked out a few pacers :D

A lot will head straight in. Place is heaving with runners so no fear of being the stinky one out lol. Last time I had booked a hotel room for the night before with a late checkout so had gone for a shower myself. All welcome though even the great unwashed !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Last proper run before FD10 done last night - 7 miles

Made a big mistake.

Brought my phone with me and had to take an important call during my run. So, stopped running. By the time I was finished yapping on the phone, my muscles had gone cold, without stretching of course, and when I went to take off again, my left calf got an awful pain.

Still very sore this morning but I am hoping it will be alright by Saturday

And I haven't a bog what sort of pace to run at in this yoke on Saturday either.

Decided to try a couple of consecutive reasonably fast miles last night to see would it hurt and it did. I say 'fast', but they were 9:40 pace and that wouldn't have been fast for me at all a couple of months ago! :mad:

Advertisement