Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

So back from the holidays.. Only managed 2 runs while away(7/8 miles) The heat even early in the mornings was tough, so much water drank along the way.. Im gonna get in a really easy few miles tonight(4-5) then just go for it Saturday.

Time to beat 1:26!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Last proper run before FD10 done last night - 7 miles

Made a big mistake.

Brought my phone with me and had to take an important call during my run. So, stopped running. By the time I was finished yapping on the phone, my muscles had gone cold, without stretching of course, and when I went to take off again, my left calf got an awful pain.

Still very sore this morning but I am hoping it will be alright by Saturday

And I haven't a bog what sort of pace to run at in this yoke on Saturday either.

Decided to try a couple of consecutive reasonably fast miles last night to see would it hurt and it did. I say 'fast', but they were 9:40 pace and that wouldn't have been fast for me at all a couple of months ago! :mad:

Foam rolling and deep heat on sat morning. You'll be grand! Feeling very slow myself lately. I did an easy 5m lastnite. time to beat on sat is 1.30. Forecast looks ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

adrian522 wrote: »
    Could be something like that alright.

I was reading a bit about this the other day.

"Eating simple carbohydrates causes a rise in insulin to reduce levels of blood sugar; exercise also reduces blood sugar. If you combine the two back-to-back, your blood sugar levels drop too low and you get light-headed."

http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-for-runners/halftime-fueling-problems

thanks Adrian, I have an 8 mile scheduled this eve so will be interesting to see how that goes, bought a protein bar so i'll eat that before hand and see if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Hmmm, possible spanner in the works for Frank Duffy on Saturday. Making dinner last night and the wooden chopping board slipped off the counter with one of the corners landing right on my bare foot.

To say my outburst was expletive ridden would be an understatement. Iced it straight away but a lovely L shaped bruise started to come up within about 5 minutes - right where the second toe meets the main part of the foot.

Bit bruised and slightly swollen but can walk, move foot and toes, cycled today and can stand on toes - sore at times but all doable. Definitely sore to touch though but I should probably stop poking it to see how it is. Was able to walk on it last night too pretty much straight away after.

Still less than 24 hours since it happened and I'm icing again this evening. Am fairly certain (and hopeful ) it's just taken a whollop and is badly bruised and isn't anything more serious. But in the interest of keeping the long term goal the priority I'm resigning myself to the prospect it may be a good idea to skip the race Saturday if it doesn't improve satisfactorily between now and then. Tomorrow will be a better indication and an easy 2/3 miles run in the evening might be a good test.

Now that I've mentioned it here it might help keep me honest and not stubbornly ignore it between now and Saturday pretending all is ok if it hasn't improved.

Fingers crossed.... Maybe not toes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

A very successful visit to TK Maxx. They have foam rollers but also a tester high5 kit for €12.99 for you to try out their various gels etc. Box of goodies to try. Some super values have them for the same price apparently. Box called Sports Nutrition for your Marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Joleigh wrote: »
    But I have checked out a few pacers :D

Stop stalking me. Did you not get the court correspondence yet?

Firedance wrote: »
    thanks Adrian, I have an 8 mile scheduled this eve so will be interesting to see how that goes, bought a protein bar so i'll eat that before hand and see if it helps.

Protien 'burns dirty' and is more suited to post run re-fuelling.

Gavlor wrote: »
    Protien 'burns dirty' and is more suited to post run re-fuelling.

I should have said energy bar sorry :-) either way it and the sachet of endurance drink I put in my water seemed to help a lot, very tough but thoroughly enjoyable 8 mile tempo done, will sleep soundly tonight I think!

aquinn wrote: »
    A very successful visit to TK Maxx. They have foam rollers but also a tester high5 kit for €12.99 for you to try out their various gels etc. Box of goodies to try. Some super values have them for the same price apparently. Box called Sports Nutrition for your Marathon.

Is it like this set? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/high5-crc-exclusive-race-pack/rp-prod106300

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Gavlor wrote: »

Thats mean. I fcuking hate when I buy something on special and see it cheaper elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Thats mean. I fcuking hate when I buy something on special and see it cheaper elsewhere.

Free shipping for all orders over €9....This costs €8.99 so you have to pay €2.99 postage!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Casey78 wrote: »
    Free shipping for all orders over €9....This costs €8.99 so you have to pay €2.99 postage!!

Or look at this way - get a second one for €6.00 :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So just did less than 6 miles at lunchtime there. Probably not the best prep for tomorrow but hopefully it will be ok.

In 2 minds about whether to go all out or just run it at Marathon pace. What's everyone else doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

So just did less than 6 miles at lunchtime there. Probably not the best prep for tomorrow but hopefully it will be ok.

In 2 minds about whether to go all out or just run it at Marathon pace. What's everyone else doing?

Race it! You can run mp any time for free!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Grand so, I'll aim for 1:20 and see how I go...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

I’ve decided I’m running, it eyeballs out, aiming for a PB. I might not be in PB shape, for a couple of reasons, but if I fall short I’ll be happy as long as I have a good crack at it.

I think there’s lots of Marathon pace miles and easy miles in the plan, and there’s more to be learned by pushing yourself hard tomorrow and the half marathon if it’s in your plan. This probably applies more to me than some others who have raced recently. My last race was a 5 mile in May.

I’ve read someone on here commenting on racing before, that if you’re not uncomfortable during a race you’re not racing hard enough. I’ve felt quite comfortable in most of the training (albeit very tired at certain points), so I think I need to push hard and see what I’m made of at the tail end of a race as I’m sure it will feel even worse in the last few miles of a marathon.

So that’s my approach at this point, but would be open to feedback also, given that’s what this thread is all about.

OK as there are a few of us doing this (by the sounds of things) let's have a table....

Name|Current PB|Target
    Adrian522|1:29:39|1:20:00

OK as there are a few of us doing this (by the sounds of things) let's have a table....

Well 1:20 will be a bit of a push but no guts no glory!

Name|Current PB|Target
    Neilthe....|1:26:49|1:20:00

Galvor! Mean.
    Mine is much nicer :-), definitely worth the money.
    High5 Marathon Race Pack, found on wiggle also.
    Still nervous over the 10 miles tomorrow and the pain of my amazing new foam roller. No idea of pace so hoping will just settle and not kill myself trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

Might be worth going for 1:19 just to avoid the traffic

Name|Current PB|Target
    ChadHo...|1:20:17|1:20:00[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

Current PB: 01:24:47 (Last year)
    Would love: 1.20 (again without killing myself)

So if i cross in 1:20 i should be surrounded by boardsies!!

Name|Current PB|Target
    ChadHo...|1:20:17|1:20:00
    aquinn|01:24:47| 1.20

Have I missed, or do we know. We have pacers for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I haven't a clue what to aim for

I'll do a warm up and when I cross the start line, I'll probably still be deciding what to do and pace will likely change as to whether I feel pain or not.

It's my first 10 mile race but I'd still like to set some sort of decently challenging benchmark for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

ChadHogan wrote: »
    I’ve decided I’m running, it eyeballs out, aiming for a PB. I might not be in PB shape, for a couple of reasons, but if I fall short I’ll be happy as long as I have a good crack at it.

I think there’s lots of Marathon pace miles and easy miles in the plan, and there’s more to be learned by pushing yourself hard tomorrow and the half marathon if it’s in your plan. This probably applies more to me than some others who have raced recently. My last race was a 5 mile in May.

I’ve read someone on here commenting on racing before, that if you’re not uncomfortable during a race you’re not racing hard enough. I’ve felt quite comfortable in most of the training (albeit very tired at certain points), so I think I need to push hard and see what I’m made of at the tail end of a race as I’m sure it will feel even worse in the last few miles of a marathon.

So that’s my approach at this point, but would be open to feedback also, given that’s what this thread is all about.

This is my approach also

I went out for a 5 miler yesterday evening and just went on feel, the freedom of not having to stick to a set pace was refreshing

As above there are plenty of MP and LSR miles left before the big day so for tomorrow and the half marathon I am going to push myself and see how it goes, I know I can do the distance even if I slow to a crawl towards the end so no big deal

No idea what sort of pace pushing myself will be but I will figure that out this evening and pick a targe to aim for

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Best of luck tomorrow everyone - I'm in the park on sunday for the Dublin Triathlon so won't be seeing you. Give it socks and run safe.

Yes good luck tomorrow folks, I'm not racing either but hope to be up after my run cheering on, pity we don't have those boards singlets!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Its my first 10 mile race so no idea what I should be aiming for time wise. I'm thinking anything around or under 1:30 would be a decent time.

Advertisement