Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Dub13 wrote: »
    I enjoyed that, took off a bit fast but who does not. Anyway I slowed myself down and paced it just right. In most races near the end more people are usually passing me than I am passing. As I get more experience and better at pacing this is not such an issue these days, today I was flying at the finish line so was well pleased with that. It goes to show you how important racing is, well to me anyway.

I never raced over 10 mile, the target was sub 1:20 and my garmin time was 1:17:21. So a good day.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/571662727

FABULOUS:D All the hard work's paying off big time. You're gonna have a great DCM Dub13!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Ososlo wrote: »
    FABULOUS:D All the hard work's paying off big time. You're gonna have a great DCM Dub13!

Cheers, I don't want to get ahead of myself but its looking and feeling good. My last pre Marathon target is to go sub 1:45 in the half, my current PB from Clontarf last month is 1:46:26.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Ososlo wrote: »
    sorry to hear that Casey. Of course you deserve a far better time and would have achieved it had you gone out with a better strategy from the start. You are capable of way faster than 1:30 imo fwiw. Don't be too disheartened as you've learned lots from today and you can make up for it in the half (I'm presuming you're doing it). Think of it as a really good training run and you'll benefit loads from it from a fitness point of view.
    We've all had races where we've gone off too hard and paid for it later but ultimately the bad days are what make you a better/stronger runner in the long run. It's all a learning experience.
    Take a few easy days and dust yourself off and straight back on the saddle for you once you've recovered. Try not to be too hard on yourself.
    If I was you I'd write a detailed race report (private or public) and put down all your thoughts about how you ran each mile of the race and where you think you went wrong. Then learn from it for the half.

Thanks Ososlo. To be honest I'm very disheartened about it all. I almost quit at 8 miles but someone gave me a tap on the back and a few words of encouragement and I kept going.
    I'm going to go out for a feed of pints tonight then get back into it on Monday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Casey78 wrote: »
    Thanks Ososlo. To be honest I'm very disheartened about it all. I almost quit at 8 miles but someone gave me a tap on the back and a few words of encouragement and I kept going.
    I'm going to go out for a feed of pints tonight then get back into it on Monday!
    Well to me, the fact that you almost quit but didn't shows you've got a lot of determination and willpower and that'll stand to you for the big one. It's rotten to go out too fast and have to pay for it for the rest of the race so that's a huge lesson learned today and one you won't make in the half.
    Enjoy the well deserved pints and ease back into things gradually next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Going by some of the times recorded today there should be a few of you boarding the 3.40 train in October!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Even writing 3:40 makes me very nervous !

I threw a race report up on my training log now, won't post it again here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91868844&postcount=214

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

adrian522 wrote: »
    Even writing 3:40 makes me very nervous !

I threw a race report up on my training log now, won't post it again here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91868844&postcount=214

You'll be grand.... If meno can do it then anyone can do it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

We'll done to everyone who ran today, lots of good times and plenty of positives to take by the sounds of it.

Snuck in under 1:18 myself by a couple of seconds. Really happy with how it went. Had a bit of a question mark over running at race pace having torn a hamstring a couple of months back, but it caused me no trouble.

Made hay on the long downhills and was hanging on for last two miles, even found the long flat section on conyngham road very tough, but managed not to fall apart completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

I now have a 10mile race to my name, all be it a slow one. I enjoyed getting around considering I was worried about DNF appearing by my name afterwards due to a Knee injury I carried into the race!
    I decided against a run as a warm up, fearing it may affect my knee in a negative way so just did some stretches.
    I started in the last two rows of the pack right at the back of the field due to not knowing how hard I could push.

1hr 41 was a fair bit quicker than the nightmares I was having, I think 1 hr 35 would of been smashed if my knee was okay and I had not missed three weeks training.

I started off really slowly and then attacked it after three and a half miles just after the water area. I must of run at least two miles of the whole course on grass (without cutting corners) to help my knees. I ended up changing my stride after about 3 miles as my knee was already a issue. I had recently read that a non straight stride could make your knee twist, I recalled getting my gait done and noticed the video showing my left foot always reached out to the left which could be causing this.
    So mid race I made a effort to make sure that my left foots was pointing as straight as possible during each stride. From then on a was on a overtaking blitz!
    The hill slowed me so that my overtaking stopped, I then turned for home and sprinted before realising I was not as close to the finish as expected so slowed to others pace before sprinting the last few hundred and overtaking plenty once more.

Mile 1: 10.55, 2: 11.04, 3: 10.41, 4: 11.15, 5: 9.33, 6: 9.19, 7: 9.34, 8: 10.19, 9: 10.17, 10: 10.23.
    Average pace 10.19
    Map my ride showed it was only 9.93 miles!

A few days rest now, followed by a possible visit to a Physio (any recommendations???) to get ready for longer races ahead!
    A perfect morning for running although we could of done with the sun staying behind the clouds.
    On a side note traffic was awful leaving on the shuttle bus afterwards taking over a hour to be 'shuttled' from pick up to drop off point!

Cheers to the ambulance guy who stuck a ice pack and bandaged my knee up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Garmin time 1:24:51
    Chip time 1:24:56

Never before were 4 seconds so important :)

Up early, porridge and fruit for brekkie, drove to Red Cow, Luas to Heuston and 9 O'Clock shuttle bus from Parkgate street. Could actually have driven all the way into the park coz there was a bit of parking there at that time. Bag drop, a quick Jimmy Riddle and ready for action.

I intended to do a 2 mile warm up but kept it at 1 mile with a few strides followed by stretches.

I went with my number 1 aim a fairly modest one - don't get injured. And although my calf is quite sore (it was a bit sore even before the race), I think I am OK - thanks to some emergency AIS after crossing the finish line (The bits I could do without a rope anyway). I told myself I wasn't going to make the same mistake I made in a half marathon last year, running through the pain and knocking myself out of action for 2 and a half months coz I was too stubborn to pull up. I was quite prepared for a DNF today given how things have been over the last couple of months.

My number 2 aim was to give myself some sort of a confidence boost because regulars here will know I've needed it over the last few weeks. A decent pace held consistently would do.

Aim number 3 was anything under 1:29:59 (or even a bit more would have been acceptable) - even though I think I would have been faster a while ago. This was my first race over the 10 mile distance so I have no PB to shoot down.

The race itself....I Wasn't looking at the watch for the first mile but when it vibrated at the end of mile 1 and I looked at it and saw exactly 8 minutes, I consciously slowed down a bit and all the next 7 miles were between 8:17 and and 8:29 . Got to 10K on the watch in under 52 minutes (my PB is 49:40) and then I gave brief consideration to a DNF when I got a shot of pain in the right leg/hip. But it held up OK.

I found mile 9 the hardest (9:20). I nearly lost the will to live on that stretch along Chapelizod Road. Just like NyOmnishambles said, it was the worst bit of all. Same with the hill in the park - a scene of carnage where they were dropping like flies. Half a mile from home I was guilty of plodding along, daydreaming and something snapped in my head and I gave myself a good telling off coz I knew I had more effort to give and booted it for the last half mile (slowing down for a short breather in the middle). When I saw the finish line away in the distance and glanced at the watch and saw I had 1 minute to get to it for a sub 85 minute finish. I didn't think I'd do it but I seriously let it rip and made it with 4 seconds to spare. Nearly died at the finish line coz of that sprint.

Felt a bit of pain in the right hip when I stopped, but that AIS seemed to help a lot. The calf is very sore though.

I actually think I could have knocked out another couple of minutes but that number 1 aim was there in the back of my mind all the time.

According to McMillian, based on today's result, I'm capable of a 3:58:25 marathon. But I'm havin none of that. Not yet anyway. But I am feeling better about stuff than I was over me porridge this morning. :D

Rest for a day or two and back at it with new confidence.

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/571735723

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Well done all this morning, some great times as well.

Came out a little slower myself than I what I was hoping for - finished a few seconds over 1.40 so a minute and a half slower than last year. The niggles during the week from the runners and chopping board attack were cleared up fine by today (just a lovely patchwork of bruising) so felt good starting off. Tried to keep the pace steady and the first mile was a few seconds off what I planned because of crowds. Wasn't concerned though as I settled into my planned pace after a while. Was starting to feel it by mile 5 though and I was finding the sun on the chesterfield avenue sections quite hot. I did take a gel to practice it in a race setting - no ill effects.

Around mile 6 where we turned back onto the avenue after the little detour I got a horrendous dart of pain through my hip. I'm not sure if I literally turned the corner a bit funny causing something to lock as I've never got anything like that before - maybe the odd twinge but not like this. Had to shuffle to the side, but a bit of stretching ( more like wiggling) and poking and walking for about 30 seconds seemed to help and off I went.

Found the outside road part a bit of a slog and I was conscious of keeping something for the finish. The hill finish did slow me down but didn't have to resort to walking so overtook a lot of people here. The hip had been quietly niggling ever since and with around 3/4 of a mile left I had to stop again to repeat the same TLC techniques as it had got a bit worse. That did the trick and on I headed and finished "strongly with a sprint" (it's all relative!). Hip is still a little tender but nothing major, will keep an eye on it.

So a little bit disappointed, I wonder if I might have nipped in ahead of last year's time if I didn't have the two hip pit stops. Who knows. But with my recent 5 mile and 10k times it's thereabouts with what McMillan has me for so I'm nothing if not consistent :) I don't seem to be knocking time off my pb's like others - they were from the series last year so not sure if that's a reflection on training I was doing last summer before I hurt my hamstring compared to where I'm at now.

On a separate note did anyone else come out with a beanie hat that has the logo stitched on upside down?? :) that's been popped in the drawer for my winter running!

I hope the lsrs for everyone else are going well this weekend too.

Its great reading how well everyone went...makes me feel even worse..

Only joking well done everyone! Onto the half marathon now.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jelly Legs

Great results everyone. I came in at 1:35:36 so slightly slower than I was aiming for but to be honest I wasn't at all confident about making that time anyway so I'm happy. Glad to see others commenting on the stretch in chapelizod - thought it was just me. Lost time there but glen road was a little easier for me than in previous races so it evened out. Actually looking forward to the half now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Casey78, you ran a 5K PB and 7 miles after that. In the grand scheme of things that's still a good day. Enjoy the pots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Gavlor wrote: »
    Going by some of the times recorded today there should be a few of you boarding the 3.40 train in October!

I might advise against that..... ;)

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    Casey78, you ran a 5K PB and 7 miles after that. In the grand scheme of things that's still a good day. Enjoy the pots.

Do you know what ,with all my moaning I never even reailised I got a PB for 5k!
    Does it still count if its part of a longer race!??

Just a bit annoyed with the rest of race but thanks for making me feel a little better :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Well plenty of guts but no glory today.. 1.21.55. I was on great to 8 miles but just lost it then outside the park.. dropped to 9 minute mile and struggled up the hill... Was a bit dissapointed but then I realised I'm still 5 minutes better then last year.. so not all bad..

Just arrived in sligo and sitting in the sun having a few beers.. hope everyone had a great day and I'll catch up on reports later...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well done, I hate that road outside the park, hated it during the half last year and in the half this year we run all the way from the parkgate street entrance to chapelizod entrance along that road.

Bring back military road and the S-bends. Think I'll setup a facebook group

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Well done, I hate that road outside the park, hated it during the half last year and in the half this year we run all the way from the parkgate street entrance to chapelizod entrance along that road.

I loved that bit, nice and flat and I tired to make up time here before hitting the last hill to the finish. I found mile 6 to 7 along the path a bit tight, it was grand in the group I was in most people were running at a constant pace so not much overtaken. But I would say if you were in a mixed group here it could be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I loved that bit, nice and flat and I tired to make up time here before hitting the last hill to the finish. I found mile 6 to 7 along the path a bit tight, it was grand in the group I was in most people were running at a constant pace so not much overtaken. But I would say if you were in a mixed group here it could be a problem.

Adrian522 Agree completely! We should start a campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Still on a high after today's race. Was aiming for 95-96 mins figuring that would be a good improvement from 99 last year, and came in 90:53. I'm still in shock!

This was my first time running with a Garmin... normally do an app on the iphone but my better half has been insisting that it's unacceptable to wear headphones, he's a purist.

I started in wave 3, due to being a long time in the queue for the lovely portaloos! The aroma was still fresh in my nostrils as we headed off. I was intending to pace myself at 5:50/km throughout... the first few K were fast for me, sub 5:15, so I was feeling good that I had banked some time for the final hill. The Garmin is great for keeping a steady pace... I only really started to flag right before Chapelizod Gate... I found the Chapelizod road long flat and boring, there wasn't even much traffic to distract. I liked the S bends last year!!

Headed back in to the park and slowed down on the hill as expected, but knew by then that 95min was achieved, even if I slowed way down.

And then the Garmin went completely mental.... giving me 45 second kilometers all along the upper glen road... is that even possible on foot!!!??? by the end it had clocked me at 21Km!!!!

The last 2 miles were tough... but had enough in the tank to 'run' the last 500m, so that was great.

Crossed the line just after the announcer was encouraging people to get under 100 mins... so immediately started fretting that the garmin had been wrong the whole way and I was actually slower than last year, even though it felt faster... was so relieved to get the text!

stumbled through the end zone... completely missed the apples and bananas, dropped my tshirt and had to beg for another one... dropped the beanie and couldn't bend over to pick it up, a kind person handed it to me... love the purple tshirt, big improvement on the 5 mile and 10k!

that long straight stretch down chesterfield avenue with the sun in your face is my least favourite part, after the Chapelizod Road, which is much more interesting from the top of a bus!

Enjoying a well earned glass of vino now :-)

Love reading all the reports here, well done everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Casey78 I'm sorry you are so disappointed and didn't enjoy the day. A new PB though as noted so well done.
    I was glad I'd a hat on today to keep the sun out, it really helped. Still too warm at times. Mile 8 I didn't enjoy. Thought I hated the S bends but then really didn't enjoy the Chapelizod end of the race. I actually thought the hill would be a lot worse. Didn't like the random Independent thing that looked like a finish line with nearly another mile after it to the actual finish. That should be half way.
    I was able to speed up for the finish so delighted that training is really paying off. Once across the line I was dry-retching so if spotted, that's me on my hunkers talking to the nice lady from Civil Defense :-)
    It must be nearly the only race I've never hated or just wanted to walk just because.
    Well done to all today. I've had my nap so a few beers later.
    I agree this t-shirt is the best out of the series so far.
    My Garmin has I ran 10.14 miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭krafty

You must be joking, that hill is a killer! :eek: Then you get to the top and the wind hits you straight in the face. The payback on the downhill is not worth it. Don't forget the second climb is still ahead of you too.

Exactly, loads of fun, if we wanted easy we'd stay in bed on Saturday morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Really enjoying reading all the race reports from today. As Im so new to this it was only my second race ever after the 5 Mile so didnt really know what to aim for so had a goal of 1:36 and finished on 1:32:13 today so was very happy. Enjoying the majority of the run & first race with my garmin which was great for keeping an eye on my pace as during the 5 Mile I didnt have a clue what pace I was doing! Overall a great experience, and looking forward to the half now. Found Mile 8 & 9 the toughest and legs were getting pretty tired, but got a second wind & increased the pace for the last mile. Tried to keep my pace around 5.40/5.45 per km, Mile 8 & 9 I did drop to 6min/km but all over kms were around that pace. Feeling encouraged that the training is paying off...& the hope of doing the marathon has increased! Well done to everyone, some seriously impressive times recorded, Im in awe!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Casey78 wrote: »

Fair play to whoever gave you the tap and the wise words!

aquinn wrote: »
    Casey78 I'm sorry you are so disappointed and didn't enjoy the day. A new PB though as noted so well done.
    I was glad I'd a hat on today to keep the sun out, it really helped. Still too warm at times. Mile 8 I didn't enjoy. Thought I hated the S bends but then really didn't enjoy the Chapelizod end of the race. I actually thought the hill would be a lot worse. Didn't like the random Independent thing that looked like a finish line with nearly another mile after it to the actual finish. That should be half way.
    I was able to speed up for the finish so delighted that training is really paying off. Once across the line I was dry-retching so if spotted, that's me on my hunkers talking to the nice lady from Civil Defense :-)
    It must be nearly the only race I've never hated or just wanted to walk just because.
    Well done to all today. I've had my nap so a few beers later.
    I agree this t-shirt is the best out of the series so far.
    My Garmin has I ran 10.14 miles!
    At least you were only dry retching...I brought all the water I took on at Mile 8 back up after the finish line!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Enjoyed the race. Was doing ok until we left the park. Hate that road! Miles 8 and 9 were not pleasant but the last few miles of a race never are for me. Chip time is 90mins. Very same as last year. First time ever my kiddies came to cheer me on at a race and I loved it. Looking forward to a good sleep tonight and no LSR tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I found mile 6 to 7 along the path a bit tight, it was grand in the group I was in most people were running at a constant pace so not much overtaken. But I would say if you were in a mixed group here it could be a problem.

This^^

I went in wave 2 and it was a problem for me in the tight sections - even earlier, before the turn back down Chesterfield when I think we were overtaking a lot of people who went in wave 1 but who had no business being in wave 1. Annoying feckers!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Well done yesterday everyone. Some fantastic times and well deserved pb

A half six start for me today and another 18 miles done avg pace 9:54.

Advertisement