Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I'm in 2 minds about doing the half marathon.

Leaning towards skipping it.

Are any other novices skipping it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I'm more determined than ever to do it Laois Man.
    Will be hoping for sub 2 hours in it despite my bad experience yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MKDTH

Laois_Man wrote: »

I've paid for it and will do it in one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

No, as it stands I'm going to do it. I think it'll be a good indication of where I'm at with my pace and time etc. Also a dress rehearsal for trying everything out I'm thinking of wearing, eating, drinking at dcm. I also like having other milestones along the way to look forward to. At this stage I'd only consider skipping it if I thought it would interfere with my training: for eg - was carrying an injury or niggle or had missed some other training and didn't want to jig any more sessions around.

Why are you thinking of skipping?

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    No, as it stands I'm going to do it. I think it'll be a good indication of where I'm at with my pace and time etc. Also a dress rehearsal for trying everything out I'm thinking of wearing, eating, drinking at dcm. I also like having other milestones along the way to look forward to. At this stage I'd only consider skipping it if I thought it would interfere with my training: for eg - was carrying an injury or niggle or had missed some other training and didn't want to jig any more sessions around.

Why are you thinking of skipping?

You said the word. Niggles. I've had constant niggles for months in all different places. I don't think there's been one day since the plan started that I've been niggle free. And I just think 5 weeks out is very late in a plan to be doing one. If a niggle became something worse, you've got very little time to get back on track.

On the other hand. I've got a 19 mile LSR on the plan for that weekend. 13.1 at race pace would probably bring me on more hand prepare me in other aspects apart from fitness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Casey78 wrote: »
    I'm more determined than ever to do it Laois Man.
    Will be hoping for sub 2 hours in it despite my bad experience yesterday.

There'll be pacers in the half Casey. From reading yesterday's report if you follow them from the start you'll have no problem breaking 2 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

A pb of 1.27.54 for me yesterday. Lost the will to run coming back into the park at mile 8, walked for a bit & regretted it when I finished cause I knew I had it in me not to stop! Pacing all over the place; I really have to get a handle on that. Great lessons learned for the half next month, lots to do between now & then!
    Nice race overall, enjoyed it, roll on the half!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

You said the word. Niggles. I've had constant niggles for months in all different places. I don't think there's been one day since the plan started that I've been niggle free. And I just think 5 weeks out is very late in a plan to be doing one. If a niggle became something worse, you've got very little time to get back on track.

On the other hand. I've got a 19 mile LSR on the plan for that weekend. 13.1 at race pace would probably bring me on more hand prepare me in other aspects apart from fitness

How are the legs today Laois_Man after your superb run yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Well you still have a couple of weeks to go before registration closes (7th I think) to see how you're feeling. I'm signed up with the full intention of doing it but if I think at the time I had a niggle that would make it a bad idea I'd park my stubbornness and skip it. Always an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

I'd encourage anyone still feeling the effects of yesterday's effort to get out for the 3 mile recovery run. It's in the boards plan but may not be in the hal plan.

Went out for mine at about 11 this morning, and the legs feel almost normal again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 YourPaceOrMine

I don't think I'll be doing it. I did sub 2 in Wexford earlier this year and wouldn't get next or near that right now! plus I'm afraid I would get an injury and it might set me back a week or two

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SoundoftheSea

I am in two minds also!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SoundoftheSea

I was like that a few weeks ago Laois_Man and I went for a sports massage with my physiotherapist and it sorted out all my niggles knees, groin ankles etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Broke 90 minutes in the Longford Half today. It was one where the teeth had to be clenched. Fell off the pacer at about half way and things didn't look good. Took a gel (first time in a race) and gradually worked my way back. Finished the leftover of the gel at mile 10. It looked hit and miss at a good few stages. Looked at the watch and a 4.26km came up. Thought it was gone then. But I finished strongly again, upped the pace and coming into the final straight I could see how I could make it. Gritted the teeth and drove home. Fantastic relief to have hit the target.
    Overall I never felt very comfortable in the race. Perhaps I am reaching that plateau where the pace is a struggle for me but then again I rarely run more than 65km a week. However I have found the training tough from a recovery point of view, always feeling fatigued. I only got 3 hours sleep last night. The good 10hr sleep the night before saved me I guess.
    Overall very happy, running just over a year now and have to be very happy that I have stuck at the running. While I enjoy it I wouldn't say I am hooked but onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Met yaboya afterwards. Incredible running and progress that he has made. I think he told me dublin runner was our pacer. The guy was cruising and was a joy to watch as he glided along going into a full easy chat when another lad came up beside us. Never got the opportunity to thank him as he came in a minute or so ahead.

Broke 90 minutes in the Longford Half today. It was one where the teeth had to be clenched. Fell off the pacer at about half way and things didn't look good. Took a gel (first time in a race) and gradually worked my way back. Finished the leftover of the gel at mile 10. It looked hit and miss at a good few stages. Looked at the watch and a 4.26km came up. Thought it was gone then. But I finished strongly again, upped the pace and coming into the final straight I could see how I could make it. Gritted the teeth and drove home. Fantastic relief to have hit the target.
    Overall I never felt very comfortable in the race. Perhaps I am reaching that plateau where the pace is a struggle for me but then again I rarely run more than 65km a week. However I have found the training tough from a recovery point of view, always feeling fatigued. I only got 3 hours sleep last night. The good 10hr sleep the night before saved me I guess.
    Overall very happy, running just over a year now and have to be very happy that I have stuck at the running. While I enjoy it I wouldn't say I am hooked but onwards and upwards.

Fantastic! You should be very proud of yourself. Hard to believe you're only running a year:eek:
    Take things very easy this week with easy runs and you should be back on track by the weekend.
    Amazing stuff...
    I think we've our own Yaboya on this thread!!!!

Ososlo wrote: »
    How are the legs today Laois_Man after your superb run yesterday?

Pretty sore right leg. Particularly on the stairs. Thanks for asking. Just out of the pool now. Hopefully that's helped. I'll not run til Tuesday evening. Plenty of AIS and foam rolling in the meantime and hopefully it'll be alright.

Pretty sore right leg. Particularly on the stairs. Thanks for asking. Just out of the pool now. Hopefully that's helped. I'll not run til Tuesday evening. Plenty of AIS and foam rolling in the meantime and hopefully it'll be alright.

Good man. I wouldn't make a decision on the half just yet. See how you recover from yesterday first.
    Well done again. Pool sounds like a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Well done all on some great running yesterday. Seemed like a good atmosphere in the Parke. I'm still on a bit of a high from my longest ever run yesterday of 15 miles. Apologies for the long report.

I set out from the park at 8.30 it was a nice cool morning and I set off at a very slow pace of 11 min per mile. As I got into my stride I settled into a pace around 10.30-10.45 for miles 2-4, felt very comfortable & the thought occurred that I could do this for 26.2 miles :-)

I headed out of the park down the quays, sun shining on the liffey all going well so far. I had an elivar endurance sachet in my water and it definitely gave me a boost along the way. Stayed around 10.50 pace for miles 5-7 & turned around at the 02 for the return leg stopping at a,spar to top up my water bottle & take a gel.

Back up the quays still feeling good, admiring the quiet city in the sun – then around mile 9 my pace started dropping to 11 and I felt like I had to work now to keep going, mile 10 saw me back at the park & doing 11.20 up Chesterfield ave & around by the zoo feeling tired now & still between 11.20-11.40 finally dropping back to 11 at mile 13. At 13.5 miles I knew I had one mile to the car & was happy to leave it at 14.5 but when I got there I knew I'd be kicking myself if I didn't push for 15! so I ran up & down till the watch beeped 15 :–) I had picked up the pace at mile 13 too to 10.20 so finished strong but tired. Very happy with the run & with my fueling strategy. Compared to last week where I was exhausted for the weekend I've been grand this weekend. More importantly my foot is also grand. Feeling a bit more optimistic about the rest of the training now & hopefully this wasn't a one off experience. I didn't make it back in time to see my club mates or you guys crossing the finish of the 10 miler tho :–( I know those paces are slow but that's ok with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I tried to do my LSR yesterday and bailed out after 2 miles. Felt that bad I had to be collected by mrs mule as I didn't have the energy to even walk back. :(

Got out this morning for another swing at it and thankfully took out 15 miles which would equal my longest ever run. (Even back in 2012 when I done DCM was injured on a 15 mile LSR and that was the furthest I ever ran until the day itself but that was a run walk strategy from 11 miles in)

Glad to be back on track. Last night was not fun at all !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Congratulations everyone on the 10m yesterday - PB's or not, the idea about the race series is practice; practice before a race, practice in crowds practice with nutrition, practice on hills, the works.

For some it went well and they know what works, others now know what doesn't work - and to be honest, thats probably more important.

Chins up, take this week to get back on track and trust your training.

Congratulations everyone on the 10m yesterday - PB's or not, the idea about the race series is practice; practice before a race, practice in crowds practice with nutrition, practice on hills, the works.

For some it went well and they know what works, others now know what doesn't work - and to be honest, thats probably more important.

Chins up, take this week to get back on track and trust your training.

Great advice there! So how'd you get on today? I was running through the park but there was 4xxx on the clock at the finish line so I'd say you were well finished by then! Was looking out for you! I know what you look like from da telly:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

13.1 at race pace would probably bring me on more hand prepare me in other aspects apart from fitness

What pace are people thinking of for the Half? Should I do it at PMP which would mean forgetting about a PB attempt or just go all out & run at a faster pace than I feel I would be able to sustain for DCM? Which would be more beneficial to the main event - an extra 20m LSR or 13.1 all out with maybe a few miles cool down thrown in?

I haven't decided yet whether to do it. Part of me feels that trying & failing to better my HM time would be SO disheartening but then another part of me tells me to htfu. Decisions, decisions......

Nicsx wrote: »
    What pace are people thinking of for the Half? Should I do it at PMP which would mean forgetting about a PB attempt or just go all out & run at a faster pace than I feel I would be able to sustain for DCM? Which would be more beneficial to the main event - an extra 20m LSR or 13.1 all out with maybe a few miles cool down thrown in?

I haven't decided yet whether to do it. Part of me feels that trying & failing to better my HM time would be SO disheartening but then another part of me tells me to htfu. Decisions, decisions......

Imo you should definitely race it as a half marathon. You can use the result to work out what marathon pace you might be capable of for DCM.
    You might be able to run 13.1 miles at PMP easily enough, but that doesn't mean you'll be able to run 26.2 miles at PMP so that won't tell you anything really.
    Do a few miles warm up and cool down if you want to bring up the daily total.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I did a handy 13k recovery run this morning @ 10:08 min/mi, then went the zoo with the kids. The zoo took more out of me.

Great advice there! So how'd you get on today? I was running through the park but there was 4xxx on the clock at the finish line so I'd say you were well finished by then! Was looking out for you! I know what you look like from da telly:D

3hrs 1 minute! beat my bikePB and my run PB and both transitions, but about 3 minutes slow on the swim. Thoroughly enjoyable, but jeez, theres serious palaver with 3 sports in one race, I'm looking forward to getting back to just shorts, runners and a tshirt!

3hrs 1 minute! beat my bikePB and my run PB and both transitions, but about 3 minutes slow on the swim. Thoroughly enjoyable, but jeez, theres serious palaver with 3 sports in one race, I'm looking forward to getting back to just shorts, runners and a tshirt!

ha ha we haven't lost you the dark side forever then! Well done!!! You must be in great shape!
    btw, where does the swim bit take place?

ha ha we haven't lost you the dark side forever then! Well done!!! You must be in great shape!
    btw, where does the swim bit take place?

Swim was in Islandbridge, jumped in at the Garda Rowing Club. Wasn't as bad as I expected but when the race briefing mentions that there are antiseptic wipes to be used after you get your wetsuit off and theres coke at the finish line to counteract the effects of any bugs that may have entered your stomach :eek:

That and 'stay away from the reeds'!

Be careful this is exactly what I did yesterday and it went badly wrong.
    I'm going to stick to my Marathon pace for the half

• Advertisement

Be careful about going to fast, this is exactly what I did yesterday and it went badly wrong.
    I'm going to stick to my Marathon pace for the half

Advertisement