Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭floatwinner

Ososlo wrote: »
    I did 20, 14, 17, 19, 20 for the lsrs in September and then wound things down so don't see a problem with your 3 x 20, but what are you currently doing lsr-wise, and what's your total weekly mileage like?

I'm doing around 30 miles a week...looking to increase that to at least 40 next month...haven't done a lsr in around 3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I'm doing around 30 miles a week...looking to increase that to at least 40 next month...haven't done a lsr in around 3 weeks.

You'll be grand. The Boards Plan is at 37 miles this week and the Hal Plan at 29 so you're where you need to be on the weekly mileage front. Gradually build up the 20s in September and you'll be flying it. You don't have to do 3 x 20. You could do 2 x 20 and an 18 or and 18, 19 & 20 etc. There or thereabouts with the lsrs and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭rockwell

Are the 3:50 pacers for the DCM at the back of wave 1 or front of wave 2? planning on registering now before the price increases again in Sept.

rockwell wrote: »
    Are the 3:50 pacers for the DCM at the back of wave 1 or front of wave 2? planning on registering now before the price increases again in Sept.

Last year they were at the start of Wave 2 as far as I can remember.

Anyone interested in being part of a scientific project?
    Could be a bit of fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

Last year they were at the start of Wave 2 as far as I can remember.

I said I'd go in to register myself having seen this post as I'd been putting off it off for weeks. I just thought I better check, Is there any restriction on changing waves after registration? Looks like sub 3:50 is wave 1 and 3:50-4:15 is wave 2.

I'm keeping an open mind on target finish time but could see myself following either the 3:50 or 4 hr pacers. I wouldn't like to end up in a different wave to pacers I might want to follow if I can help it.

ChadHogan wrote: »
    I said I'd go in to register myself having seen this post as I'd been putting off it off for weeks. I just thought I better check, Is there any restriction on changing waves after registration? Looks like sub 3:50 is wave 1 and 3:50-4:15 is wave 2.

I'm keeping an open mind on target finish time but could see myself following either the 3:50 or 4 hr pacers. I wouldn't like to end up in a different wave to pacers I might want to follow if I can help it.

Afaik, you can move back to a slower wave, but you can't move up to a faster wave. However, I think there is a possibility that you can get get your bib changed officially to move to a faster wave at the Expo if you want to. Hopefully someone else can confirm this as I can't find the info on the website for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Afaik, you can move back to a slower wave, but you can't move up to a faster wave. However, I think there is a possibility that you can get get your bib changed officially to move to a faster wave at the Expo if you want to. Hopefully someone else can confirm this as I can't find the info on the website for you.

This is correct. You can always move back a wave (or 2) on the morning no questions asked.
    You can get moved up a wave at the expo (they give you a coloured sticker to put on your bib) but be prepared to answer questions on your training/racing to justify being moved up. They don't like to move people up willy nilly.

P.S. if Wave 1 is sub 3:50; they will put the 3:50 pacers at the front of wave 2. Almost 100% sure of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

menoscemo wrote: »
    This is correct. You can always move back a wave (or 2) on the morning no questions asked.
    You can get moved up a wave at the expo (they give you a coloured sticker to put on your bib) but be prepared to answer questions on your training/racing to justify being moved up. They don't like to move people up willy nilly.

P.S. if Wave 1 is sub 3:50; they will put the 3:50 pacers at the front of wave 2. Almost 100% sure of that.

I'm sure you know more than me with your vast pacing experience, but when I ran Dublin in 2010 Wave 1 was Under 3:30. The 3:30 pacers started at the back of Wave 1 that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

Thanks for the speedy replies guys, I couldn't find it on the website myself.

They weren't specific on the waves but I was reading between the lines based on the 3 options they gave for expected finishing time.

I'll go with the first wave in that case sounds like it gives me more options

• Advertisement

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I'm sure you know more than me with your vast pacing experience, but when I ran Dublin in 2010 Wave 1 was Under 3:30. The 3:30 pacers started at the back of Wave 1 that day.

The new pacing boss man has a new policy/strategy that he has been employing the last 3/4 years.
    Even in the half the 1:40 pacers go from wave 2. The idea is to even out the waves and teach people that they don't have to go in wave 1.
    It is a pain when you cajole someone over the line to subsequently find out they started 5 or 10 minutes in front of you (then complain that you missed your target by 5/10 minutes :p).

ChadHogan wrote: »
    Thanks for the speedy replies guys, I couldn't find it on the website myself.

They weren't specific on the waves but I was reading between the lines based on the 3 options they gave for expected finishing time.

I'll go with the first wave in that case sounds like it gives me more options

Yeah if they are giving you those options, they will almost certainly be the 3 waves...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I've registered for wave 2 but appartanly as I'm raising money for an associated charity I get something called gold entry.
    Anyone know what this really means and how it affects where I start from?

Casey78 wrote: »
    I've registered for wave 2 but appartanly as I'm raising money for an associated charity I get something called gold entry.
    Anyone know what this really means and how it affects where I start from?

I think Gold entry allows you to move up to the front of wave 1 if you want.
    If i were you I'd be wary of doing that as you are more likely to head out at an unsustainable pace. Everyone around you will be moving very fast and it'd be hard to stick to your game plan.
    If you have an idea of the time you think you can finish in you'd be better moving back beside the appropriate pace group/wave. There'll be pacers for every 10 minute target between 3hrs and 5hrs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The DCM is up as a race on Strava.

http://www.strava.com/running-races/...ublin-marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Alan30

Just back from 2 weeks in the sun and the plan didn`t suffer too much. Only missed 1 short run and the 8 miler with 6 at pace, which i did last night into what felt like a full force gale straight into my face the whole way. Lessons learned from the time away include not pre-hydrating the night before a long run with mojites, red wine and beer.
    Has anyone done the Athlone 3/4 marathon before, thinking of doing it but a bit worried it is to close to the 27th. The plan calls for a 18 mile LSR that weekend i think.

Alan30 wrote: »
    Just back from 2 weeks in the sun and the plan didn`t suffer too much. Only missed 1 short run and the 8 miler with 6 at pace, which i did last night into what felt like a full force gale straight into my face the whole way. Lessons learned from the time away include not pre-hydrating the night before a long run with mojites, red wine and beer.
    Has anyone done the Athlone 3/4 marathon before, thinking of doing it but a bit worried it is to close to the 27th. The plan calls for a 18 mile LSR that weekend i think.

I haven't done it Alan but I'm sure there'll be some folks along soon who have. Personally I wouldn't race it all-out. I think it's a bit close to the main event. You could do always run it at LSR pace and maybe throw in a few MP miles towards the end if you wanted.
    Well done on getting most of the runs in over the hols. No mean feat that!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I ran it before DCM 2012 and would recommend it. It's a good challenge and tells you where you are a few weeks from DCM. There is enough time between them Also there is a hill with about 2 miles to go, about 17/18 miles in. Perfect for practicing the feeling of any humpback bridges you may need to go over at the end of DCM ;)

When I ran it I split it into 3 sections. 6 miles at MP + 20 seconds 6 miles at MP + 10 seconds and the last few miles at MP. I wouldn't recommend racing it but more of a tester of what might lay ahead. Bit of a warm up before and you have 20 miles + done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I've signed up for Athlone 3/4, my plan calls for a 20 mile run that week so its perfect timing, just going to run as LSR hopefully with some PMP towards the end - its billed as a pre DCM race anyway so id say there might be a fair few DCM participants doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

I did it last year and it gave me great confidence going into the marathon, it's a tough route, tougher than Dublin. They have pacers for those aiming for difference times in the marathon but they were a bit difficult to spot last year. It is quite hilly. It was my last really long run before DCM and the company was great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Firedance wrote: »
    I've signed up for Athlone 3/4, my plan calls for a 20 mile run that week so its perfect timing, just going to run as LSR hopefully with some PMP towards the end - its billed as a pre DCM race anyway so id say there might be a fair few DCM participants doing it?

Pretty much my plan too. Haven't signed up yet though. I read the threads from previous years and it seemed to get good feedback from DCM participants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

There's a paced 10k, Half and 30k in Limerick the same day. "The Human Race" on UL campus, Sunday 5th October. I've heard good reports about it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Bad run today, don't know why, just seemed harder than it should have, paces were ok but just seemed difficult. Maybe still feeling the after effects of Saturday.

Easy runs next 2 days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Were is the best place online or in Dublin to get the High 5 gels..? I want to try some out in the next week or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Dub13 wrote: »
    Were is the best place online or in Dublin to get the High 5 gels..? I want to try some out in the next week or two.

I posted a link to chainreaction a couple of days ago that offers the full race pack for 8.99. They also have boxes of the gels available incase you get hooked.

Any cycle shop or running place should have it. What part of Dublin are you in?

You can order it off wiggle or chain reaction cycles either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I've gotten some in a bike shop in sandymount, elverys on Suffolk st and amphibian king in Ashtown. Try any elverys or bigger bike shops and you should be in luck

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

adrian522 wrote: »
    Any cycle shop or running place should have it. What part of Dublin are you in?

You can order it off wiggle or chain reaction cycles either.

On the northside (donaghmede) but work in the city so should pick them up handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Eurocycle on Sth William St have the high5 ones too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I ordered the €8.99 race pack of gels from chain reaction cycles on Sunday.
    The Postman has come and gone this morning and still no sign of them.
    Has anyone else ordered them and how long did it take to arrive?

Advertisement