Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

adrian522 wrote: »
    Are the pacers every 10 mins yeah?

Yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Are the pacers every 10 mins yeah?

Yep, 3;40 will be at the back of wave 1 and 3:50 at the front of wave 2 (most likely).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Don't let it dent your confidence, as I said before, the 10 miler is a monster session, it takes a while to recover from but the fitness you get from it takes 7-10 days for the adaptations to work through.
    I bet this time next week you'll find 15 miles at 9:40 pace fairly ok.

For what it's worth, my legs are still tired from it. I tried 4 x1m tempo today and struggled on every mile.

Thanks for the advice.
    I also found it very hard to control my heart rate last night.
    Even though I went slower than normal my heart rate was going up very fast.
    I could usually run at a faster pace and not have my heart rate jump as fast and be better able control it and keep it in a certain zone.
    Could this be effects from Saturday also?

Casey78 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice.
    I also found it very hard to control my heart rate last night.
    Even though I went slower than normal my heart rate was going up very fast.
    I could usually run at a faster pace and not have my heart rate jump as fast and be better able control it and keep it in a certain zone.
    Could this be effects from Saturday also?
    Absolutely. My hr would be elevated for a few days after a race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Good God, if I see another mention of 'Heartbreak Hill', I'll beginning to think we're running up K2. Its a small hill and half of ye will be defeated mentally before you even get to it which this kind of talk. Its a small hill and if you ran it on a training run, you'ld wonder what the fuss is about.

The only problem is where it is located, when you are beginning to dig into your reverses hence the over blown hype about it. It you train right, fuel right and pace right, you'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What's this hearbreak hill you speak of? I thought that was in Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

What's this hearbreak hill you speak of? I thought that was in Boston.

Roebuck hill, around the 20 mile mark I think. The year I did it Ray Darcy was standing there hi fiving people...its a bit of a blur tbh. I didn't see him, my friend did, I was concentrating on the road infront of me!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I was just kidding, I know the hill alright, it's not too bad, but it is at mile 22 this year.

The dcm mentored novices thread wouldn't be the same without the annual discussion on "The Hill", whatever you want to call it!
    All I can say is that it was my favourite part of the course last year and that was because of the wonderful crowds willing you up it and the fact that I was able to run up it when most were struggling to even walk up it. Get your pacing right from the start and you'll cherish your memories of "The Hill"!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

I was just kidding, I know the hill alright, it's not too bad, but it is at mile 22 this year.

Silly me....that went over my head like a 747!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Legs are perfect after Saturday. I rested Sunday as was exhausted, ran 4 lovely miles in the rain on Monday night and then since I am fighting a dose and so p*ssed off as not sure I can run this week again. Told to rest, ugh. Was to do 8m and then 4 and tackle the 19 miles.
    Did absolutely nothing last night and starting to come around, felt like I was fighting a dose/virus as feel like I've been hit by a bus, just completely exhausted. Might be from Saturday but not sure.
    Haven't a clue for marathon pace.
    If I can't do the short runs this week do I attempt the LSR or if back running do the short 8 and then 4?
    Bloody weather change.

aquinn wrote: »
    Legs are perfect after Saturday. I rested Sunday as was exhausted, ran 4 lovely miles in the rain on Monday night and then since I am fighting a dose and so p*ssed off as not sure I can run this week again. Told to rest, ugh. Was to do 8m and then 4 and tackle the 19 miles.
    Did absolutely nothing last night and starting to come around, felt like I was fighting a dose/virus as feel like I've been hit by a bus, just completely exhausted. Might be from Saturday but not sure.
    Haven't a clue for marathon pace.
    If I can't do the short runs this week do I attempt the LSR or if back running do the short 8 and then 4?
    Bloody weather change.
    I wouldn't jump straight into a lsr after sickness. Your first few runs when you're feeling better should be short and easy for a few days to ensure you really are better. You'd want to be 100% heading into a lsr. No harm ignoring the plan until you're back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Thanks Osolo, so annoyed to be missing even a few days.
    Just printed off the route to try and follow the second half of the course at some point.

aquinn wrote: »
    Thanks Osolo, so annoyed to be missing even a few days.
    Just printed off the route to try and follow the second half of the course at some point.

I know the feeling as I'm not feeling great myself :(
    But look on it this way: It's much better to get sick now and not in October so hopefully you'll get it over and done with in a few days. Just don't take any chances going back before you're ready and making yourself sicker.... Hope you feel better soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I was following the novices thread last year even though I had already dropped out of DCM long before Autumn, and I remember a lot of people getting colds/'flu when the temperatures dropped around the second half of September. Maybe immune systems were weakened with the high mileage at that time also. Temps seem to be dropping a little earlier this year. You should be trying to get all your vitamins in your normal food.....but it's definitely no harm to take some vitamin C supplements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Late "weekly report" for 18th-25th August and it's not a great one. I was away on holidays in France from Thursday until this morning and my running schedule got interrupted a lot: no running at all from Tues/Wed/Thurs in the rush to finish work before the flight out ... and then I only fitted in two 6-milers while away. No long run at all ... I hoped I'd eventually get to it on Monday, but it lashed rain all day and I'd got so lazy by that stage I wasn't going to tough it out.

Fri: 6 miles incl. 2 fast miles (7:58 pace for each of these, 2min recovery in between). Cloudy 20C.
    All other miles (incl recovery) done between 8:40-9:15 pace. Had planned a longer run with 4-5 fast miles but didn't have the energy in the sun.

Sat: 6 miles at average 8:30 pace. Done in 19C, intermittent sunshine.
    All miles between 8:26-8:34 pace, but I did take 20sec (untimed walk) at the 5mile point.

So there it is.

I am in Dublin for the next 5 days so I'll be picking my schedule again. Am going to push myself out the door now for 8miles now to start it off. I'm going whether it rains or not!

There were some great 10mile results from last Saturday, very nice to see all the runs around 80mins which is just a bit faster than I'd expect/hope to do this distance. Well done.

Late "weekly report" for 18th-25th August and it's not a great one. I was away on holidays in France from Thursday until this morning and my running schedule got interrupted a lot: no running at all from Tues/Wed/Thurs in the rush to finish work before the flight out ... and then I only fitted in two 6-milers while away. No long run at all ... I hoped I'd eventually get to it on Monday, but it lashed rain all day and I'd got so lazy by that stage I wasn't going to tough it out.

Fri: 6 miles incl. 2 fast miles (7:58 pace for each of these, 2min recovery in between). Cloudy 20C.
    All other miles (incl recovery) done between 8:40-9:15 pace. Had planned a longer run with 4-5 fast miles but didn't have the energy in the sun.

Sat: 6 miles at average 8:30 pace. Done in 19C, intermittent sunshine.
    All miles between 8:26-8:34 pace, but I did take 20sec (untimed walk)

There were some great 10mile results from last Saturday, very nice to see all the runs around 80mins which is just a bit faster than I'd expect/hope to do this distance. Well done.
    Hi hillsiderunner
    if your 10 mile race pace is around 8 min mile then you'd be better off slowing down your easy runs and lsr a bit. McMillan would suggest easy runs up to 9:30 and lsr up to 9:50 pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Casey78 wrote: »
    I ordered the €8.99 race pack of gels from chain reaction cycles on Sunday.
    The Postman has come and gone this morning and still no sign of them.
    Has anyone else ordered them and how long did it take to arrive?
    Ordered over weekend. Dispatched Monday and arrived today but wasn't with An Post. Your dispatch confirmation email should have a tracking number in it for the parcel force website.

Great value at €8.99 I have to say. Pic of contents attached.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Hi hillsiderunner
    if your 10 mile race pace is around 8 min mile then you'd be better off slowing down your easy runs and lsr a bit. McMillan would suggest easy runs up to 9:30 and lsr up to 9:50 pace.

Thanks Ososlo, and know I should not have done both those runs in the same week (and certainly not back-to-back). Definitely don't think of 8:30 as 'easy' pace though .... I'm still doing a blend of half-marathon/marathon training as the DCHM is a goal race for me. That 8:30-paced run on Saturday was a (half) 'pace run' with some secs (but not enough secs) added for the sunshine. Would not have done it at all either except that I'd cut short the mile repeats the day before.... it's not great strategy I know. Am going to make sure to only do one speed session a week from now on.

Just back from 8.6 miles in the drizzle, done at a comfortable/consistent 9:05 pace. Will be trying 17miles on Sunday and will be aiming to do most of that run at 9:40 pace.

PS Saw the discussion about your name on your log. When I started reading this thread I was guessing you were a systems admin (O.S.) in Norway .....

Thanks Ososlo, and know I should not have done both those runs in the same week (and certainly not back-to-back). Definitely don't think of 8:30 as 'easy' pace though .... I'm still doing a blend of half-marathon/marathon training as the DCHM is a goal race for me. That 8:30-paced run on Saturday was a (half) 'pace run' with some secs (but not enough secs) added for the sunshine. Would not have done it at all either except that I'd cut short the mile repeats the day before.... it's not great strategy I know. Am going to make sure to only do one speed session a week from now on.

Just back from 8.6 miles in the drizzle, done at a comfortable/consistent 9:05 pace. Will be trying 17miles on Sunday and will be aiming to do most of that run at 9:40 pace.

PS Saw the discussion about your name on your log. When I started reading this thread I was guessing you were a systems admin (O.S.) in Norway .....
    Grand, just checking ;) Well done on the 8.6 and good luck with 17 on Sunday!

Lol my name:D I'm most definitely not working in IT and I've never been to Norway! I was thinking of a name change though... to maybe Os from Oslo! So I could keep the name Ososlo but change the meaning behind it to something less defeatist ;)

• Advertisement

Grand, just checking ;) Well done on the 8.6 and good luck with 17 on Sunday!

Lol my name:D I'm most definitely not working in IT and I've never been to Norway! I was thinking of a name change though... to maybe Os from Oslo! So I could keep the name Ososlo but change the meaning behind it to something less defeatist ;)

Though when you start making yaboya-style improvements, then it'll be nicely ironic ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Yeah now that was better!
    Just back from an 8mile and felt much looser and better able for it.
    Felt really good but still kept a nice slow pace of 9'55 but it wasn't a struggle like my 4mile last night.
    Feeling much better about things now.

Are many of you thinking of using DCM as an opportunity for raising a few quid for a charity? They could do with all the help they can get these days.
    I wouldn't have been the fundraising type but decided to run for Pieta House in memory of a colleague/friend of mine and ended up making a nice sum for them. Way more than I would ever have imagined. Was so glad I did it in the end as it's money they wouldn't have received had I not bothered making the effort.
    Something to consider and it's really easy to set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Are many of you thinking of using DCM as an opportunity for raising a few quid for a charity? They could do with all the help they can get these days.
    I wouldn't have been the fundraising type but decided to run for Pieta House in memory of a colleague/friend of mine and ended up making a nice sum for them. Way more than I would ever have imagined. Was so glad I did it in the end as it's money they wouldn't have received had I not bothered making the effort.

yep, ill be fundraising for Samaritans & Last Hope animal charity, am packaging as 'athlone half' 'athlone 3/4' and DCM in the hopes of getting a few extra quid

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

chinguetti wrote: »
    Good God, if I see another mention of 'Heartbreak Hill', I'll beginning to think we're running up K2. Its a small hill and half of ye will be defeated mentally before you even get to it which this kind of talk. Its a small hill and if you ran it on a training run, you'ld wonder what the fuss is about.

The only problem is where it is located, when you are beginning to dig into your reverses hence the over blown hype about it. It you train right, fuel right and pace right, you'll be grand.

I couldn't agree more. I couldn't make this particular run but I'm always amazed at people's reactions to hills in races. I incorporate some long hills into my training (I'd hot Ticknock or Kilmashouge regularly) especially my LSR and because of this I find myself passing dozens of people on small climbs in races. Even before the climbs as most people slow up when they see the climb.

Hill training is a bit tough at first but keep it slow and you'll get used to it in no time.

A quick edit. There was talk of a hill on the Frank Duffy 10 mile earlier, I thought that was the hill you were talking about. In fairness though, even though it's pretty far on in the marathon Roebuck hill shouldn't pose a threat.
    I'll probably crash and burn on it now just for saying that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

was looking at the Irish Runner DCM plan and for next tuesday it has a 4mile time trail. What pace would people do this at. I will think says 30 seconds faster them PMP myself but not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

Doing it for Laura Lynn. It's a great cause and as a bonus it's giving me plenty of motivation to keep up the training.

scheister wrote: »
    was looking at the Irish Runner DCM plan and for next tuesday it has a 4mile time trail. What pace would people do this at. I will think says 30 seconds faster them PMP myself but not sure

I really don't know and can't find a link to the plan online but I would think that normally a time trial would mean that you run it as fast as you can - like a race. As I said though I don't know so hopefully someone else who knows your plan will jump in.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

Just in from a very stormy 10m- it's wild out there! Has no-one told the weather gods it's still August!! I think I was lulled in to a false sense of comfort with summer running but tonight it was out with the long sleeves for the first time since spring. Miles 1 & 2 were uphill into a headwind- a bit tricky but I'm glad they were at the beginning not the end. Hopefully the autumn training will be in balmier weather, I was not feeling the love tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I think I probably will, likely for a charity called headway. National charity that support people who are suffering from acquired brain injuries and their families also. Haven't started fundraising yet as I'm waiting to make sure I get through the training. I find anyway most people tend to be last minute enough when it's closer to the event so will probably sort it out end of September.

Advertisement