Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

No long run for me last weekend but hope to do 16 miles this Saturday.
    I ordered new runners online and they arrived really quickly last week so I took them for a 5km run on Sunday and they seemed fine.
    Did 10km on Monday in the rain and wind and 7km last night. Found these runs easier than usual which I suspect is due to missing the LSR at the weekend.
    Think I will stick to the old runners for this week's LSR until the new ones are broken in.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SoundoftheSea

lovely seven miles this evening in cool winds. 11.04/11.14 It felt nice and easy even though I should be running even slower.

Loved all the reports on Saturday, well done to all.

Would it be very rude to ask what is the age range of all the boardies?
    Just might make me feel a little better!

45-50

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Thanks Casey78 I will be more precise so,

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

38 !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Lots around my age so, I'm in the 40-44 parkrun category

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am 34 but 35 on Sunday.
    I'm wondering how everyone's legs are after the race on Saturday? Be careful this week as recovery is important.
    Has the race made you more confident or less confident of your marathon time??

The legs are grand, have done 39k since (rested Mon) and no issue. I am another one at the high end of the mileage done so far (for a novice anyway), I cant remember what it is but close to 750km ran since week 1. I still have not nailed down a MP yet but the target time is going to be between 3:50 & 3:59...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Between 28 and 29...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I'm wondering how everyone's legs are after the race on Saturday? Be careful this week as recovery is important.
    Has the race made you more confident or less confident of your marathon time??

Were stiff Sunday, did 4 miles which seemed to help. They felt tired on Monday which was a rest day. Went for 8 miles easy last night and they picked up in the second half of the run after being sluggish initially.

Think the race has confirmed the range I was thinking of for the marathon time is about right but maybe to aim for the more conservative side of it. Thanks for the feedback and experiences from yourself, yaboya and meno and how adjusting the time by even a few minutes and few seconds per mile can make a big difference.

Ok to be more precise SeanPuddin between 46¾ and 47.
    Can anyone beat 46/47 anyone....

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

34!

Happy birthday for Sunday Dub13

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gingersnap

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Alan30

8 miles done. Getting some strange looks running through town at 11 pm on a wet midweek night. Some people just done understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Paulq64

Speaking of age groups ,I just turned 50 .
    Just home from my 1st long run
    What a night I picked
    Anyway 18 miles done in just under 2hrs 40
    May not have been such a good idea as I don't think I have fully recovered from
    Saturday race

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Ososlo wrote: »
    Well compared to the Hal Higdon plan you'd be where you need to be regarding weekly mileage and lsr and you're not a total novice so you have a bit of experience behind you. I'd say you'll still be in with a good shot of making the startline depending on what the physio says and as long as you don't miss too many more days.
    Do you foam roll? If not then I'd start asap. Let us know what physio says. Good luck with appointment!

Trip to the physio went well - said it seemed to be nothing more than a muscle strain and gave me some stretches etc to do.

Didn't seem to think it would be a problem to get back out running - just told me to use pain as a guide until it cleared up completely.

So far today it seems to have improved a fair bit so I'm hoping I can get back out asap...

As for the foam roller - she said it would certainly be no harm to do. So where's best to get a good one (for a good price) in Ireland/Dublin?

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I got a foam roller in Argos for €12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

flogen wrote: »
    Trip to the physio went well - said it seemed to be nothing more than a muscle strain and gave me some stretches etc to do.

Didn't seem to think it would be a problem to get back out running - just told me to use pain as a guide until it cleared up completely.

So far today it seems to have improved a fair bit so I'm hoping I can get back out asap...

As for the foam roller - she said it would certainly be no harm to do. So where's best to get a good one (for a good price) in Ireland/Dublin?

Thanks
    Great news!

I spent a bit more on mine as I use it every day and they do wear down. I got the EVA grid one in Elverys and I think it was about 25 euro. Worth every penny as it helps stay injury free. See end of post one for more info on foam rollers...

edit. Most of the sports shops have them these days

• Advertisement

Alan30 wrote: »
    8 miles done. Getting some strange looks running through town at 11 pm on a wet midweek night. Some people just done understand.

Ha ha you can definitely call yourself a runner now ;)
    They'll never understand :)
    their loss. ..

Paulq64 wrote: »
    Speaking of age groups ,I just turned 50 .
    Just home from my 1st long run
    What a night I picked
    Anyway 18 miles done in just under 2hrs 40
    May not have been such a good idea as I don't think I have fully recovered from
    Saturday race
    You're only a young chap! There are some really really old people on some of the other training logs. I can't understand how they can get out of bed in the morning, let alone run :D

yeah that lsr was a bit close to the race alright. Go really easy for the next 4/5 days to let the body recover. Good recovery is key to getting to the start line in good shape at this point.
    Make sure you're running the lsr at a nice relaxed pace/effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Since I contribute here the odd time you may as well know :).....43

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

42, but I look about 27 and many days I feel about 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Morning,
    Starting to come around, as I drink my Vitamin C, so hope to do 4 miles tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

40 - and still kicking myself that I only got the running bug a couple of years ago

I'd love to know how fast I could have been in my 20's and even how fast I'd be now and what my PBs would be now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I'd love to know how fast I could have been in my 20's and even how fast I'd be now and what my PBs would be now!

Some of us who started in our 20s (I was 24, 30 now) are still crazy slow! Not looking massively likely that I'll break 2 hrs for my half next weekend...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Some of us who started in our 20s (I was 24, 30 now) are still crazy slow! Not looking massively likely that I'll break 2 hrs for my half next weekend...

I was just looking at pacing for the half earlier kirby, I'm looking to break 2 hours too and found this online

'I would recommend going out your first first miles right at or 5 to 10 seconds slower than your goal pace (9 min. 9 second miles). This will help you mentally prepare to NOT go out too fast, which is a big mistake.
    • So miles 1 to 3 at about 9:15 pace.
    • Miles 4 to 7 at 9:09 pace
    • Miles 8 to 10 at 9:05 pace
    • Miles 11 to 13.1 9:00 pace (or whatever else you have left in the tank).
    This will get you you to your 2 hour half-marathon'

To the experienced boardsies is this good advice? any other tips for achieving your race goal?

Firedance wrote: »
    I was just looking at pacing for the half earlier kirby, I'm looking to break 2 hours too and found this online

'I would recommend going out your first first miles right at or 5 to 10 seconds slower than your goal pace (9 min. 9 second miles). This will help you mentally prepare to NOT go out too fast, which is a big mistake.
    • So miles 1 to 3 at about 9:15 pace.
    • Miles 4 to 7 at 9:09 pace
    • Miles 8 to 10 at 9:05 pace
    • Miles 11 to 13.1 9:00 pace (or whatever else you have left in the tank).
    This will get you you to your 2 hour half-marathon'

To the experienced boardsies is this good advice? any other tips for achieving your race goal?
    Looks like a good strategy to me but the problem is you have to take the elevations on the course into account. If it's the race series half then the hills are towards the end so I'm not sure if it would be possible to make up loads of time in the last few miles. I think you have to take advantage of the declines and allow a little time extra for the inclines.
    On a flat course I think it'd be a great strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Have the same thoughts myself, I'm so worried of going out too fast. I feel sub 2 hour half is not beyond me this weekend, but I want to be very conservative.

Pros: I know the course from 12k, there's pacers for 1:50 and 2hrs.

Don't know what to do though, as if I go with the 1:50s there's every chance of blowing up. Going with the 2hrs guys and I'll be wondering if I could have gone quicker.

More than likely I'll run the lot between the two groups all things going well. I'm so nervous it's not even funny.

Advertisement