Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Firedance wrote: »
    ah lads! there's buses, sure no need for all these LSR's - I already know how to get on and off a bus :P

Haha - just an expression I picked* up. Get on the X bus depending on what pace group you are following.

In the absence of a 4:15 bus I will look to hitch a ride on the 4:10 :pac:

*may have made up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Haha - just an expression I picked* up. Get on the X bus depending on what pace group you are following.

In the absence of a 4:15 bus I will look to hitch a ride on the 4:10 :pac:

*may have made up

I'm too lazy to go back and check but I think* that gavlor referred to the 3.40 group as a bus or train a few days ago!

*may have made up

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Ososlo wrote: »
    Buses at 4 hr plus and a bicycle at 3:40 if ya need a ride ;)

A ride on the 3.40 train?!

This pacing lark is great

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SoundoftheSea

Legs like lead on my 4 mile run this evening. I think I am still getting use to running 3 days in a row. Looking forward to the challenge of the 15 miles on sat as this will be the longest distance to date.
    Hope all have a good weekend of running.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think I could do with a bit of a sports massage/Physio work.

Does anyone of any recommendations around South Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

adrian522 wrote: »

Was thinking exactly the same thing myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I'll send you a direct message...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Have dealt with Ciaran Fitzpatrick and Eilis at Premier Physiotherapy in the past, both in Ballinteer, and found both good.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

I’ve a busy weekend ahead, so I arranged to get a lift into work this morning and am doing my first 20 mile LSR from work to home this evening. Hoping to be sitting on the couch by 7 o’clock with the job done!

I took a rest day yesterday with this in mind but I’m feeling a little low on energy, generally I don’t feel as fresh on my midweek runs as my weekend runs. I have to go around the world a bit to get the 20 miles in so if I’m struggling i can just take the most direct route home. Hopefully the weather plays ball too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

ChadHogan wrote: »
    I’ve a busy weekend ahead, so I arranged to get a lift into work this morning and am doing my first 20 mile LSR from work to home this evening. Hoping to be sitting on the couch by 7 o’clock with the job done!

I took a rest day yesterday with this in mind but I’m feeling a little low on energy, generally I don’t feel as fresh on my midweek runs as my weekend runs. I have to go around the world a bit to get the 20 miles in so if I’m struggling i can just take the most direct route home. Hopefully the weather plays ball too!

Good luck with that and no harm to get used to doing a long run in bad weather so look on it as a positive if it is shight ;)
    Running whilst wet can bring it's own host of problems like extra chafing etc so good to experience it on a lsr.
    Look forward to hearing how you find it.

• Advertisement

Could anyone explain the benefits of a sports massage? I know most athletes across all sports would use them so I’m sure they serve a purpose, and would be tailored to each athlete and their training needs.

For people following a program like ourselves, what would cause you to need or benefit from one? Is it to address a particular niggle? Or help fatigued legs or aid recovery?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I guess you try to stay on top of things like strecthing to keep yourself in good shape from an injury prevention standpoint.

But when you are running so much(I'm running 6 times a week at present) a bit of tightness is to be expected and hopefully the sports massage will help loosen things out a bit.

I think its a bit of a preventative measure that will hopefully stop me getting injured rather than waiting until I get an injury to show up at the Physios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I think it helps with injury prevention and if you have any tight spots it helps loosen them up before they turn into a niggle. It improves flexibility and improves blood flow.
    I would say however that a good massage can take a lot out of you so you shouldn't get one too close to the marathon or too close to a lsr.
    I'd say 10 days or maybe a week before the marathon and after a lsr as opposed to before it. Ensure you hydrate really well before and after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

I head in to the Physio about every 4-6 weeks when training. I find it serves 3 purposes:
    1. She tells me to foam roll more
    2. She can find tightness before I really start to feel it
    3. Invariably I have a niggle or two that are nice to get checked out/ask about

So most of that is more preemptive to injury than anything.

PS: In a sadistic way, I also feel its nice to get my legs battered too!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SoundoftheSea

I went for one a few weeks ago as I was starting to get a few niggles in thighs, knees and ankles. It was quite painful and afterwards my legs felt like they were bruised all over but no more niggles. I only got my legs massaged but next time I will get full body. It cost €40 and in my opinion it was well worth it.
    Not in Dublin so can't recommend anyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

PM our own exmod Ecoli. I can't recommend him highly enough. And I have been to Ciaran Fitz too; but Ecoli is much better for the sports massages IMO and much cheaper :)

Also he is based in Walkinstown/Greenhills which is right beside you adrian I think?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Also he is based in Walkinstown/Greenhills which is right beside you adrian I think?

Yep very closeby, I'll give him a shout!

Yep very closeby, I'll give him a shout!

I'll PM you his mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Just got the Dublin marathon app. Some good stuff on it!

• Advertisement

Joleigh wrote: »
    Just got the Dublin marathon app. Some good stuff on it!

Didn't know there was one ! Downloading it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Have many people booked hotels for the night before the marathon, particularly culthies?

I'm thinking the best chance I have to relax the night before is to stay in my own bed and have breakfast in my own kitchen, drive up from Carlow, park at the Red Cow, Luas to George's Dock and walk over to the start area from there. Similar to what I did last Saturday.

Or get the 6:10am bus from Carlow arriving at Busaras at 7:30am and walk from there. Leaving the car for the wife to follow me up and be around later in the day to cart me home in a heap.

Or I might end up traveling up with a gang from Kilkenny if I ask them nicely to pick me up on their way!

Might seem early to be talking about the logistics of that morning, but I'd say the hotels are heavily booked already?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Its a Bank Holiday monday so that may / will affect public transport for those planning on parking on the outskirts and bussing it / LUASing it / DARTing it into town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I bet every runner on Boards who has ran multiple marathons wished they had done their 1st one more conservatively.

There's something about your 1st time and going slower..........ahem.

+1 On this...

I hit my target on my first with 40 seconds to spare, last 4 miles were hell, If I was to do it again I would be more conservative and enjoy the experience more...

In fact, the last few miles that day almost made me pack up marathon running..even though I made my time...make it an experience you want to return to as opposed to an experience that would turn you off doing another one for life!

LSR done! Only managed 19 miles though id targeted 20. Legs were gone. 19 miles was on the plan but the route happened to be 20 miles so i thought i may as well try run 20, just didnt have the last mile in me today. Really had four seasons in one run. Glorious sunshine at the start, a swirling wind, and a substantial downpour from about 13 miles.

Average pace was 10:06 minutes per mile. A few weeks ago, i'd done 17 miles around 9:45 minutes per mile but found this one infinitely more difficult. Felt like I was struggling from about mile 10. Training had been going well up to now despite a few interruptions and set backs and this was the first day the run felt painful. I'm not injured, I have no niggles to complain about, it was just hard! I suppose it was inevitable at some point.

Overall though, feeling positive that I dug in and got it done. I'm going to put my struggles down the cumulative effect of more miles in the legs, pulling the run in by a day and feeling tired before i even went out.

Super running there. I would agree completely with your assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

ChadHogan wrote: »
    LSR done! Only managed 19 miles though id targeted 20. Legs were gone. 19 miles was on the plan but the route happened to be 20 miles so i thought i may as well try run 20, just didnt have the last mile in me today. Really had four seasons in one run. Glorious sunshine at the start, a swirling wind, and a substantial downpour from about 13 miles.

Average pace was 10:06 minutes per mile. A few weeks ago, i'd done 17 miles around 9:45 minutes per mile but found this one infinitely more difficult. Felt like I was struggling from about mile 10. Training had been going well up to now despite a few interruptions and set backs and this was the first day the run felt painful. I'm not injured, I have no niggles to complain about, it was just hard! I suppose it was inevitable at some point.

Overall though, feeling positive that I dug in and got it done. I'm going to put my struggles down the cumulative effect of more miles in the legs, pulling the run in by a day and feeling tired before i even went out.

I'm sure that starting the LSR after a day's work as opposed to on fresh legs on a weekend morning is going to make the task in hand a bit trickier! Well done!

blockic wrote: »
    +1 On this...

I hit my target on my first with 40 seconds to spare, last 4 miles were hell, If I was to do it again I would be more conservative and enjoy the experience more...

In fact, the last few miles that day almost made me pack up marathon running..even though I made my time...make it an experience you want to return to as opposed to an experience that would turn you off doing another one for life!

I'm starting to come around to this way of thinking after tonight's LSR. 20 Miles of pure effort and misery.

Absolutely vicious wind and horrible driving rain, wet T-shirt, shorts socks etc. But the wind nearly did me in, I could barely get moving at all in what were supposed to be M-Pace miles but couldn't get near that pace. That was around mile 12 and I was pretty spent.

On the way back through 8 miles and no energy I started to re-evaluate my target for October.

Glad to get it done though, I believe character building is the term I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ccrccs

When u register to pay for dcm you have option of add ons...video n pictures etc....if i choose to decline can i choose to get them at a later srage..if i change my mind..it comes down to money...just wouldn b able to afford the extras this month

• Advertisement

I'm sure they'll take your many at any point you change your mind, I'm sure they will bombard you with emails etc too after the race asking you to purchase them.

Nothing to worry about on that score I would imagine

Advertisement