Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Mixed bag this week for me. I usually do my LSR on Saturday but with family commitments this week I had to push it to Sunday. Swapped in another short run from next week so as not to a miss a day.

Sunday - 4 miles. Was really feeling the running love on this one for some reason. Probably went a bit fast though, intended to be a recovery run but felt full of energy and couldn't seem to keep it as slow as I intended. Decided to just enjoy it, pace was more close to marathon pace.

Monday - rest.

Tuesday - 8 miles. Sluggish initially but freshened up about half way though, kept the pace around LSR pace.

Wednesday - football.

Thursday - 5 miles easy.

Friday - rest.

Saturday - 5 miles easy.

Sunday - 14 mile LSR. Supposed to be 18/19 but I cut it short. Had been feeling apprehensive about this anyway due to the family stuff knocking my routine around a bit. The other half has been sick the last few days and I felt a bit of it myself too but luckily not as bad. So I think I started off negatively mentally and that eventually won out. I knew I was in trouble today with the heat, wasn't expecting that after the recent weather! Went to the park and got some of the hills done which was good but by mile 14 I was dead on my feet, legs were in a heap. Decided to cut it short - I'm still a week ahead of my schedule with next week supposed to be a 14 mile run so I decided to call it quits and make it up next week instead. I haven't looked at my splits yet but the pacing mightn't have been as consistent as other weeks, couple of them might have been too fast. Maybe it was just the efforts of the last week, along with an extra midweek short run taking it's toll. Will try again next week and hope it goes better!

I did get new runners this week and broke them in on two shorter runs with no problems so happy that got sorted. Interesting to see that's there's a few if us in the same boat this week - onwards and upwards for us all hopefully!

Super week for you! Great to have the cushion of the extra week. You were right to cut the lsr short if it seemed too much today, especially with the OH being sick. Very easy to pick something up at the moment. Every second person seems to be sick right now so you can't be too careful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

just back from a lovely 16 mile LSR trying out a new route. was looking at my garmin stats for the month and it appears for august alone i spent 24hours running and burnt 15,000 calories and would not change any of it. I will have my full week log up later but when i say that stat as im sure most people on here are similar and its shows how far we have come since the start of training

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

How many gels are you all planning on taken on the big day..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Ososlo wrote: »
    Super week for you! Great to have the cushion of the extra week. You were right to cut the lsr short if it seemed too much today, especially with the OH being sick. Very easy to pick something up at the moment. Every second person seems to be sick right now so you can't be too careful!

I know, half the office has it as well. Quick question - unfortunately I have something on next Saturday as well. So I'll have to do the lsr after work on Friday or late Sunday evening. Thinking I'd like to get it out of the way and I'll be driving to/from cork on Sat/sun so might be a bit wrecked from that and not sure what time on Sunday I'll be back. Would Friday be too soon to try this distance again after today? I do have one less run to do this week as I swapped it into the one just gone.

I know, half the office has it as well. Quick question - unfortunately I have something on next Saturday as well. So I'll have to do the lsr after work on Friday or late Sunday evening. Thinking I'd like to get it out of the way and I'll be driving to/from cork on Sat/sun so might be a bit wrecked from that and not sure what time on Sunday I'll be back. Would Friday be too soon to try this distance again after today? I do have one less run to do this week as I swapped it into the one just gone.

No I think you'd be absolutely fine by Friday so makes more sense to do it then.

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »

my plan at the moment is every 6 miles so looking at 4 overall but think last year i forget to take the last one

I took four last year. First at 45 mins I think.

Ososlo wrote: »
    No I think you'd be absolutely fine by Friday so makes more sense to do it then.

Cheers!

Day|Distance|Time|Average Pace|Type
    Monday|rest
    Tuesday| 4 miles|37:19|9:18|Strides
    Wednesday | 8 mile |1:19:53|9:59| easy
    Thursday |missed
    Friday|rest
    Saturday |5 mile |42:20|8:28| easy
    Sunday|16 mile |2:37:18|9:50| LSR

I missed the log for last week i will try and get it done during the week.

Tuesday was a nice speed training. it was a 4 mile run with 5*75yard strides it was a little tougher then normal is up to here it has been only 50 yard strides. But got though it and overall was still an enjoyable run

Wednesday was a 8 mile night time run. was getting odd looks running in Dundalk at 12.30 at night. While my paces for the night are fairly level bar the 5th mile the rest were within the within 5 seconds of each other. but it was a very tough run weather it was because i was running post work im not sure. But getting though runs on days like thats makes the easier run that little bit nicer. finished with a time of 1:19:53 for an average pace of 9:59

I was due to run on thursday after work but the rain was to heavy to go for a run in unless i wanted to get sick afterwards.

Saturday was the weeks speed training rather then the 1:2:1 easy fast easy this week was changed to 1:3:1 with a steady pace rather then fast. the 2 easy miles were run at 9:35 and 9:57 the 3 steady miles were 7:41, 7:45 and 7:40 so this was fun run as i tired a new route just to see if it was easy to follow.

Finally the LSR sunday run nothing better then 16 miles run on a sunday. I used the same route as yesterday as that would mean I would be only doing 4 laps rather then 8-10 using the old route so I would not feel as much like a hamster in a wheel. While this was a very tough run (think the breakie roll instead of wheatabix was not a good idea). on top of this the pace was allover the place ranged from 9:36 to 10:12

Another week over and another week closer to marathon monday. next week will be fun as the LSR moves from 16 to 18 miles while its only 2 miles its feels like alot more at that level.

i will leave this weeks with a quick stat. i cant find the world stat but only 1% of american will run let along complete a marathon in their life time. So finding the finishline of a marathon puts you in a very exclusive club. Remember that when you are meant to go for a run but don't want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

That's something I've been thinking about actually.

I've tried 3 different kinds of gels but the only one's I have found to boost me are the Viper one's with Caffeine. But the packaging warns not to exceed 3 in one day. I'd be a bit nervous about ignoring that but I think I'd need at least 4 on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I am after buying a box of the Kineticas that Ossolo linked. Are they an Irish company? As there was a charge to post to UK but free to Ireland. 43eur for 24 gels including delivery. Handy to have them.

I am after buying a box of the Kineticas that Ossolo linked. Are they an Irish company? As there was a charge to post to UK but free to Ireland. 43eur for 24 gels including delivery. Handy to have them.

which flavour did you go for?

they seem to have an office in Cork but main office in UK. Strange...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Berry Burst.

Ah damn. Just looked at Elverys site and they have them on sale for 1.50 each. 😈😠.
    You can collect them in the store too. Kinetica, you are after ripping me off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Laois_Man wrote: »
    That's something I've been thinking about actually.

I've tried 3 different kinds of gels but the only one's I have found to boost me are the Viper one's with Caffeine. But the packaging warns not to exceed 3 in one day. I'd be a bit nervous about ignoring that but I think I'd need at least 4 on the day.

Just to be clear- you aren't actually using gels for a "boost" but rather to top up your glycogen stores. Therefore if you are using them when tired / depleted it is already too late

I would be extremely wary with exceeding safe caffeine limits- if I have time I'll link later but I remember a study of heart "events" in marathons and while caffine within safe limits wasn't found to be a risk there was some correlation between high levels and risk of heart issues- remember caffeine lifts your HR and late on in the race when your possibly already quite high you need to be pretty careful

This is coming from someone who has 3-4 espressos a day lol. All I'm saying is think about what you're doing

Out of interest how many mgs of caffine in each of those "viper" gels?

Berry Burst.

Ah damn. Just looked at Elverys site and they have them on sale for 1.50 each. 😈😠.
    You can collect them in the store too. Kinetica, you are after ripping me off!

Shame. The free postage ain't looking so free now:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

scheister wrote: »

i will leave this weeks with a quick stat. i cant find the world stat but only 1% of american will run let along complete a marathon in their life time. So finding the finishline of a marathon puts you in a very exclusive club. Remember that when you are meant to go for a run but don't want to.

Sorry but this is too cringe worthy to let pass.

First off given the state of health in that country, USA is not what you want to compare yourself to (sorry DrQ although I am sure you agree).
    Secondly 90+% of those starting a marathon will finish one. You can walk a marathon if you want; you are still a finisher
    Thirdly regarding stats for the rest of the world: I'd imagine that 99% of the world population could not afford to run a marathon. I'm sure the vast majority of them would be able to though. Running marathons (outside of elite circles) is a very western/middle class pursuit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I take GU gels, they have caffeine in them too(40mg/gel). i was planning on taking either 3 or 4 on race day, haven't quite decided yet.

I'm presuming this is not too much caffeine, it's about the equivalent of a double espresso or of a large filter coffee.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Sorry but this is too cringe worthy to let pass.

First off given the state of health in that country, USA is not what you want to compare yourself to (sorry DrQ although I am sure you agree).
    Secondly 90+% of those starting a marathon will finish one. You can walk a marathon if you want; you are still a finisher
    Thirdly regarding stats for the rest of the world: I'd imagine that 99% of the world population could not afford to run a marathon. I'm sure the vast majority of them would be able to though. Running marathons (outside of elite circles) is a very western/middle class pursuit.

Whatever about the fact my country is full of fatties- I have a slightly more simple mantra when I don't want to head out and run

"Don't be a pussy" ;)

dukeraoul wrote: »
    Just to be clear- you aren't actually using gels for a "boost" but rather to top up your glycogen stores. Therefore if you are using them when tired / depleted it is already too late

I would be extremely wary with exceeding safe caffeine limits- if I have time I'll link later but I remember a study of heart "events" in marathons and while caffine within safe limits wasn't found to be a risk there was some correlation between high levels and risk of heart issues- remember caffeine lifts your HR and late on in the race when your possibly already quite high you need to be pretty careful

This is coming from someone who has 3-4 espressos a day lol. All I'm saying is think about what you're doing

Out of interest how many mgs of caffine in each of those "viper" gels?

Top up Glycogen stores.
    Boost Glycogen stores.
    Semantics ;)

A 70g sachet of ViperBoost contains 100mg Caffeine

• Advertisement

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Top up Glycogen stores.
    Boost Glycogen stores.
    Semantics ;)

A 70g sachet of ViperBoost contains 100mg Caffeine

Yeah 100mg is a pretty good whack- 50-75mg is an espresso, 100-150 is a filter coffee. Taking 4 would give you400mgs which if you drank any coffee or tea that day would put you over what Drs tend to recommend as a "safe" daily consumption. Anything over 300mg a day is regarded as "heavy" consumption. If it were me I wouldn't be going anywhere near 100mgs of caffeine at the end of a marathon when my heart was working at or near the limit. But hey, I ain't a Dr. so my advise in this regard probably matters very little. Maybe best to ask your own GP what they believe safe caffeine consumption in the middle of heave physical exertion is?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

That sounds like a lot of caffiene to be honest.

Also you get a mental boost when the brain detects the Carbohydrate from the gel but the muscles get that carbohydrate after it is converted to glycogen. That process takes about an hour. So just because you don't get a "boost" from a gel doesn't mean its not doing anything for you.

You are still topping up your Glycogen levels which will become depleted without taking gels when running for 3 hours +

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Up at 6.45am yesterday & did the 19 miles, had to take an emergency pit stop though at 17 miles, the joys of trying gels, :) ! All went well other than that. I can't actually believe I went out & ran that far. Don't get me wrong, I don't think I'm great or anything but if anyone told me 6 months i'ld run that far & be okay with it, i'ld have wet myself laughing! These long runs really give you the confidence to believe that finishing a marathon is achievable. So even if I run walk or crawl I know I'm gonna finish it.
    Just to really knacker me after the run we decided to go to the zoo! i think all the walking might have actually loosened out the legs. No run for me today though, reckoned i had enough done yesterday.

Think I'll go back and retry the ViperBoost that have no caffeine at all. And maybe the Kinetica too. Thanks.

denis160 wrote: »
    Up at 6.45am yesterday & did the 19 miles, had to take an emergency pit stop though at 17 miles, the joys of trying gels, :) ! All went well other than that. I can't actually believe I went out & ran that far. Don't get me wrong, I don't think I'm great or anything but if anyone told me 6 months i'ld run that far & be okay with it, i'ld have wet myself laughing! These long runs really give you the confidence to believe that finishing a marathon is achievable. So even if I run walk or crawl I know I'm gonna finish it.
    Just to really knacker me after the run we decided to go to the zoo! i think all the walking might have actually loosened out the legs. No run for me today though, reckoned i had enough done yesterday.

yeah but you are:D
    Seriously though, most of you are doing these crazy long runs for the first time in your lives, and it is something to be proud of. Don't lose sight of that fact. How many people do you know could run 5 miles, let alone 19?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Just entered the race. WOOHOO!

adrian522 wrote: »
    I take GU gels, they have caffeine in them too(40mg/gel). i was planning on taking either 3 or 4 on race day, haven't quite decided yet.

I'm presuming this is not too much caffeine, it's about the equivalent of a double espresso or of a large filter coffee.

Hi Adrian where do you get the GU gels?

As promised- here is a pretty good summation of some of the issues w/ caffeine. It makes the point (super important to you newbies) that running a marathon is statistically incredibly safe- but does point out some links between caffeine and heart issues late in marathons

http://boingboing.net/2013/12/09/good-to-the-last-drop.html

Hi Adrian where do you get the GU gels?

I bought a few sachet's in Amphibian King to try them out. I liked them and found them pretty small for carrying on a run so bought a box of 24 from wiggle.

I think Elvery's also have them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

In regard to gels, I know everyone is different but is there an optimum tine to take them? Someone mentioned that if you leave till you are tired its already too late, with that in mind can you take them too early?

Advertisement