Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Firedance wrote: »
    In regard to gels, I know everyone is different but is there an optimum tine to take them? Someone mentioned that if you leave till you are tired its already too late, with that in mind can you take them too early?

I've was told to take the first at 45 minutes. Every 40/45 mins after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

First a message for JohnDozer - don't know if you did those 20miles at the weekend, but if you *did* you're ahead of me for long runs .... and if you didn't I've only only just matched you (17 miles this evening, and 15 miles two weeks ago).

This week I've been running in Dublin... I've managed a high-mileage week (after last week's dossing), at least high-mileage for me. Did my first-ever 17mile run, hit 37.5 miles for the week and 120 miles for the month. All records for me after many years of running. Apart from that I've been keeping a watch on a tight achilles but it seems to be doing ok.

Wed pm: 8.6 miles at average 9:05 pace, consistent and comfortable.

Thurs pm: 7.5 mile "steady" at average 8:41 pace.
    This (average) pace is exactly halfway between my goal paces for "half" and "full". So this was a "midway race pace" run. The individual miles fluctuated about 20secs above and below the average, but this was due to wind conditions, my effort was consistent. I'd planned this one to be about 6miles, but had my estimates way out (don't run this route often) so ended up with an extra mile and a half.....

Now the bad news - in the final mile of Thursday's run, I had a sore right achilles, and this continued through Friday (though improved a bit). It might be due to the increased midweek mileage. Also I had a sore toe on my right foot from breaking-in new shoes earlier on Thursday, so maybe gait issues contributed ... However, despite being stiff it was never inflamed at all (or sore to touch/pinch) and it seemed to improve with a bit of walking on Friday and Saturday morning, so ...

Saturday: 4.5 miles "test the achilles run" at 9:06 average pace, consistent/comfortable.
    Achilles was stiff for the first mile and a half, but after that I only had the occasional twinge. Seemed even to improve the foot overall.

Sunday pm: 17.04 miles "long slow run" at 9:36 average pace, 19C cloudy.
    Apart from a couple of rogue miles (9:13, 9:23) all miles came in within 10secs of the average. And the 9:13 mile was on that long downward stretch from Goatstown to Stillorgan Road, to be honest I felt it was a real accomplishment to have kept it above 9:00 pace. The achilles had the same initial stiffness of Saturday, plus occasional twinges in later miles, but it never worsened to any worse/more-frequent than on Saturday's run ... so I kept going for the whole 17 miles (I'd gone out with 20E for my taxi fare just in case). Most interesting thing about this run is that even from 7 miles in I was already finding it a bit difficult, despite the slower pace! I kept the pace up all the way to the end, but this was not as easy as I'd expected. Could have squeezed out a mile or two extra but was happy not to have to! Probably the increased midweek mileage was a contributing factor here.
    (on edit: I ate a few jelly babies at mile 10 and again at mile 14 .. not sure they gave a boost, but there were no digestive problems at least)

So tomorrow no running at all, but I'll walk plenty to keep the foot moving (and my knees, both of those are a bit sore!). Then I'll see how everything is before Tuesday's evening run. I know the ideal thing would have been to skip the run entirely, but I'm a late arrival to the marathon schedule, and if I hadn't given it a try this week I've have had to set aside DCM ambitions.

Next two weeks LSRs should be 18 and 19 miles if all goes well, then I'll see about DCM registration.

Gosh my weekly-reports are getting long ... I'll have to think about starting my own log I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Was visiting the folks in the West this weekend so different experience than running around the Park as usual

The route I was on was a 4 mile loop, so had planned to do 5 laps, figured 20 miles wouldn't be much harder than 19 in the plan
    Things were ticking along nicely up to half marathon distance, knocked 30 seconds off my HM training time, things started getting tough then and the last 3 miles were very tough so I finished the last few miles with a bit of walking and clocked off at 19 miles

The upside is though that was really enjoying it over the HM distance which is not something I ever thought I would say

Apparently I confused the local shopkeeper who coincidentally mentioned to my Dad about someone going round and round

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/579508974

also based on someone posting a lik in here I got these shorts during the week
    http://www.thenorthface.ie/tnf-ie-en/men-s-better-than-naked-long-haul-shorts/p97121.html though not at the price listed, they were on sale thankfully, found them very comfy and gret for carrying a few gels so will use them on the big day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Following HH2 here - 17 mile LSR today. Ran from my current house over to my old family home which turned out to be just shy of 17 miles so required a lap of the local field before finishing. Few pints with my dad afterwards too made for a great day.

I had spaced gels out at hourly intervals so might have a go at cutting that gap for next weeks 18 miler.

During the 17 miles - especially towards the end I began to entertain the notion of pulling out of DCM. It was a hard enough last few miles and the inner demons were out in full force. Then saw a post here saying price goes up tonight. Knew I'd be pissed off if I waited to register so pulled the trigger :)

I'm in !

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

First a message for JohnDozer - don't know if you did those 20miles at the weekend, but if you *did* you're ahead of me for long runs .... and if you didn't I've only only just matched you (17 miles this evening, and 15 miles two weeks ago).

This week I've been running in Dublin... I've managed a high-mileage week (after last week's dossing), at least high-mileage for me. Did my first-ever 17mile run, hit 37.5 miles for the week and 120 miles for the month. All records for me after many years of running. Apart from that I've been keeping a watch on a tight achilles but it seems to be doing ok.

Wed pm: 8.6 miles at average 9:05 pace, consistent and comfortable.

Thurs pm: 7.5 mile "steady" at average 8:41 pace.
    This (average) pace is exactly halfway between my goal paces for "half" and "full". So this was a "midway race pace" run. The individual miles fluctuated about 20secs above and below the average, but this was due to wind conditions, my effort was consistent. I'd planned this one to be about 6miles, but had my estimates way out (don't run this route often) so ended up with an extra mile and a half.....

Now the bad news - in the final mile of Thursday's run, I had a sore right achilles, and this continued through Friday (though improved a bit). It might be due to the increased midweek mileage. Also I had a sore toe on my right foot from breaking-in new shoes earlier on Thursday, so maybe gait issues contributed ... However, despite being stiff it was never inflamed at all (or sore to touch/pinch) and it seemed to improve with a bit of walking on Friday and Saturday morning, so ...

Saturday: 4.5 miles "test the achilles run" at 9:06 average pace, consistent/comfortable.
    Achilles was stiff for the first mile and a half, but after that I only had the occasional twinge. Seemed even to improve the foot overall.

Sunday pm: 17.04 miles "long slow run" at 9:36 average pace, 19C cloudy.
    Apart from a couple of rogue miles (9:13, 9:23) all miles came in within 10secs of the average. And the 9:13 mile was on that long downward stretch from Goatstown to Stillorgan Road, to be honest I felt it was a real accomplishment to have kept it above 9:00 pace. The achilles had the same initial stiffness of Saturday, plus occasional twinges in later miles, but it never worsened to any worse/more-frequent than on Saturday's run ... so I kept going for the whole 17 miles (I'd gone out with 20E for my taxi fare just in case). Most interesting thing about this run is that even from 7 miles in I was already finding it a bit difficult, despite the slower pace! I kept the pace up all the way to the end, but this was not as easy as I'd expected. Could have squeezed out a mile or two extra but was happy not to have to! Probably the increased midweek mileage was a contributing factor here.
    (on edit: I ate a few jelly babies at mile 10 and again at mile 14 .. not sure they gave a boost, but there were no digestive problems at least)

So tomorrow no running at all, but I'll walk plenty to keep the foot moving (and my knees, both of those are a bit sore!). Then I'll see how everything is before Tuesday's evening run. I know the ideal thing would have been to skip the run entirely, but I'm a late arrival to the marathon schedule, and if I hadn't given it a try this week I've have had to set aside DCM ambitions.

Next two weeks LSRs should be 18 and 19 miles if all goes well, then I'll see about DCM registration.

Gosh my weekly-reports are getting long ... I'll have to think about starting my own log I think!

Dont know if you have a foam roller but it seems to be really helping with my tight achilles. Also I put deep heat on before a long run and ice it after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Joleigh wrote: »
    Dont know if you have a foam roller but it seems to be really helping with my tight achilles. Also I put deep heat on before a long run and ice it after.

Thanks. I do have one at my own flat, so I'll try it tomorrow night. Have only ever used it for my ITB issues, generally my achilles doesn't give trouble (has been tight/sore once or twice in the past, but each time it only lasted a few days max)

Am going to skip the deep heat/ice because I have no inflammation at all. What seems to work best is loosening it up with walking/ankle circles...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Popped into amphibian king today to pick up a second pair of runners.. Guy couldn't believe I was up to 250 miles on the pair I had already.. So I'll get these into rotation but keep them for the long runs and races.. Got 3 miles in tonight as a recovery and a bit of foam rolling..
    Does the rolling ever get easier, its a proper workout in itself!!

I've been trying a few gels over last few long runs.. Mainly the high 5 ones. On their site it suggests taking a gel every 30 minutes... Seems a lot! When doing the meath royal tour cycle a few weeks back they gave out energy jellies.. Wouldn't mind trying them again, at least it's a bit of chewing and the feeling of food..

Feeling like a 90 year old this morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

1st Sept already. Mad to think the marathon is next month eek!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Feeling like a 90 year old this morning!

Wayne Rooney ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

Hi All,

Just looking for a bit of advice in tweaking my running this week. Schedule from the boards plan is below.

Mon Rest or Rec
    Tue 4m easy
    Wed 8m easy
    Thu 4m easy
    Fri Rest
    Sat 20m LSR
    Sun 3m Rec

As a result of doing my LSR on Friday rather than Saturday I’ve now had two days off in a row, and the legs feel good so don’t want to just slip back in with the plan and take another day off today. I was thinking of pulling the midweek runs in by a day and doing a marathon pace session, still leaving me with 2 days break prior to the LSR. I’d be open to any other suggestions too.

Mon 4m easy
    Tue 8m MP
    Wed 4m easy
    Thu Rest
    Fri Rest
    Sat 20m LSR
    Sun 3m Rec

I did find my LSR tough on Friday but got it done, so I’m not worried about my form or anything at the moment, just looking to make the best use of my time available. Early on in the plan I missed some weeks through holidays and injury. I had a reasonable base prior to the start of the plan so I’m not massively concerned about the time missed either, I’m just trying to keep the momentum going I suppose.

ChadHogan wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just looking for a bit of advice in tweaking my running this week. Schedule from the boards plan is below.

Mon Rest or Rec
    Tue 4m easy
    Wed 8m easy
    Thu 4m easy
    Fri Rest
    Sat 20m LSR
    Sun 3m Rec

As a result of doing my LSR on Friday rather than Saturday I’ve now had two days off in a row, and the legs feel good so don’t want to just slip back in with the plan and take another day off today. I was thinking of pulling the midweek runs in by a day and doing a marathon pace session, still leaving me with 2 days break prior to the LSR. I’d be open to any other suggestions too.

Mon 4m easy
    Tue 8m MP
    Wed 4m easy
    Thu Rest
    Fri Rest
    Sat 20m LSR
    Sun 3m Rec

I did find my LSR tough on Friday but got it done, so I’m not worried about my form or anything at the moment, just looking to make the best use of my time available. Early on in the plan I missed some weeks through holidays and injury. I had a reasonable base prior to the start of the plan so I’m not massively concerned about the time missed either, I’m just trying to keep the momentum going I suppose.

Yep move the mp run no problem. As long as you have two days between it and lsr you should be fine. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PeterParker100

I'm in!

Entered yesterday, before the tenner increase and feeling good! DCM will be my fourth marathon and my first in 10 years, my last was New York in 2004. Really hoping to beat my younger self!

Got up to 18.5 miles on my LSR on Saturday morning in the Phoenix. Running in the opposite direction to the Great Pink Run along the O' Survey Road was a good sight. I took High5 gels for the first time at 55mins, 1h35 and 2h10, no adverse affects and I think they helped, although I'm not impressed with the runners bum-bag look!! I went up the Khyber Road at mile 16 and the last couple of miles were tough, managed to keep the pace around 9:20 but didn't feel I could go any further. Followed the run with a 10 minute cold (not quite ice) bath when I got home.

Not something I'd normally do, but I went out for a very slow 3 mile recovery run yesterday morning, I'm sure that's helped as my legs feel grand today.

My mileage took a big jump in August, with 121 miles clocked, compared to 62 in July, 43 in June and just 21 in May, probably a bigger jump than advised, but the old legs are feeling ok, apart of a little niggling groin pain which comes and goes. I'm due a step-back week now which will come as some relief!

Have a good week all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Right back again. Had to pull out last year after a dose of plantar fasciitis. It's not completely gone but it's manageable (foam roller ftw).

I'm only up on 21K for the long runs so probably a little bit behind. I've a 25K planned for this weekend and I'm registered for the 3/4 marathon in Athlone.

Best of luck everyone!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

975 Miles for the year. Wednesday looks like the day for the fanfare and updating of the 1000 miles spreadsheet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

No running since Friday night for me.

After that 18 miler, I felt OK...until I got up on Saturday morning when I had some pain in the upper left leg - possibly ITBS - never ever had a problem like this before. It felt better yesterday morning for a while, but got worse throughout the day though and there was no question of even attempting my scheduled 5 miles yesterday. Tons of stretching done but very sore this morning - not even having the early day relief I had yesterday morning. Not sure if there's much point in compressing it - but I have it bandaged up out of desperation right now.

I'm gonna have to get into the physio tomorrow morning.

I'm in!

Entered yesterday, before the tenner increase and feeling good! DCM will be my forth marathon and my first in 10 years, my last was New York in 2004. Really hoping to beat my younger self!

Got up to 18.5 miles on my LSR on Saturday morning in the Phoenix. Running in the opposite direction to the Great Pink Run along the O' Survey Road was a good sight. I took High5 gels for the first time at 55mins, 1h35 and 2h10, no adverse affects and I think they helped, although I'm not impressed with the runners bum-bag look!! I went up the Khyber Road at mile 16 and the last couple of miles were tough, managed to keep the pace around 9:20 but didn't feel I could go any further. Followed the run with a 10 minute cold (not quite ice) bath when I got home.

Not something I'd normally do, but I went out for a very slow 3 mile recovery run yesterday morning, I'm sure that's helped as my legs feel grand today.

My mileage took a big jump in August, with 121 miles clocked, compared to 62 in July, 43 in June and just 21 in May, probably a bigger jump than advised, but the old legs are feeling ok, apart of a little niggling groin pain which comes and goes. I'm due a step-back week now which will come as some relief!

Have a good week all.
    Well done great month!
    What pace do you hope to run on the big day or have you thought about it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PeterParker100

Ososlo wrote: »
    Well done great month!
    What pace do you hope to run on the big day or have you thought about it yet?

Thanks Osolo! All being well, my goal is to run at 8:30 pace to bring me round in about 3:45. Or maybe I'll go with the 3:40 pacers on the day, I hope to beat my 3:49 best from 2000. We'll see, but I do seem to be bitten by the bug more this summer!

Thanks Osolo! All being well, my goal is to run at 8:30 pace to bring me round in about 3:45. Or maybe I'll go with the 3:40 pacers on the day, I hope to beat my 3:49 best from 2000. We'll see, but I do seem to be bitten by the bug more this summer!
    Super! Hope the bug continues long after dcm!
    There is a great band of merry men pacing 3:40 who are all boardsies so you might get some extra special treatment ;)
    AuldManKing, menoscemo and of course the wonderful Gavlor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Super! Hope the bug continues long after dcm!
    There is a great band of merry men pacing 3:40 who are all boardsies so you might get some extra special treatment ;)
    AuldManKing, menoscemo and of course the wonderful Gavlor!

So me & Meno just get a courtesy mention - but its the "wonderful Gavlor!"

That guy makes me sick.

:p

• Advertisement

So me & Meno just get a courtesy mention - but its the "wonderful Gavlor!"

That guy makes me sick.

:p
    You always get the limelight!
    I'm just trying to instill a little confidence in him. I think he needs it ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Who's pacing 3:50?

Who's pacing 4.10? (feeling hopeful)

Who's pacing 4.10? (feeling hopeful)

not sure if the official lists are up yet? Amk might know. Kurt usually posts them before the big day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

adrian522 wrote:
    975 Miles for the year. Wednesday looks like the day for the fanfare and updating of the 1000 miles spreadsheet!

Nice one, I am fairly close myself not sure how close have not checked in a couple of day's. I also only really started in March.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Is there only 1 pacer per finishing time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Casey78 wrote: »
    Is there only 1 pacer per finishing time?

There's normally three per time band.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Manky difficult 9miles ground out at 10min/mile.

Feeling it very difficult to shake off the fatigue from Dublin City Triathlon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Feeling it very difficult to shake off the fatigue from Dublin City Triathlon.
    You did the Olympic distance? The long run I did 6 days after London Triathlon was awful, did 16km at around 6:30/km pace and my legs felt absolutely awful - and that's after shorter efforts during the week feeling absolutely fine. I wouldn't call that too unexpected tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

not sure if the official lists are up yet? Amk might know. Kurt usually posts them before the big day.

Not sure - I haven't even seen my own name confirmed yet! :eek:

Advertisement