Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Thinking of running a 10k race this weekend. Maybe warm up with a very easy 10k or less, do the race and then try and do another 10km or so to cool down to make up a lsr of 19 miles. Is this reasonable?

6 miles before a 10k race is an awful lot if you want to race at full effort. I think you'd only really know after the race if you'd be able to do another 6.
    maybe a slightly shorter warm up and play the cooldown by ear. If you've done plenty of lsrs and will be doing a good few more in September then I wouldn't worry too much about not getting the full 19 done.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Went out to do the '5 miles' on the plan last night....got back, and an hour I bothered to actually look at the plan (which I have stuck on a wall at home) and realized I was supposed to do 6 miles.

Must pay more attention to the plan :rolleyes:

Leg in a bit of discomfort but not too bad now. Wondering if I should drastically reduce the 18 miler planned for tomorrow night. Maybe. I'll see how it is at the time and during it.
    Yeah exactly, just play by ear. Start out as slowly as possible.
    Did you see Star for your last appointment?

scheister wrote: »
    just in the door from a 4 mile time trial complete in 29:53 to say i was dying at the end is an understatement. i think tomorrow 6 mile at 10mim pace will seem like a gift from heaven after tonight
    Well done. If you felt like that after it then it sounds like you did it properly!
    Recover well. That'll really have taken it out of you.

MKDTH wrote: »
    I finally went to the Physio on Tuesday, to at the very least get confirmation of what my knee injury was!

A little history behind this injury.....I have had this on and off when I used to play Football ten years ago, and it emerged two years ago when I was in a 90 mile Cycling road race and again recently during my DCM training. I had previously just stopped exercise till the pain went away but was determined to carry on the dcm training so patched myself up with little training in the few weeks leading up to the Frank Duffy, but got around thanks to the DCM training that had previously gone to plan between May and July.
    Then after the Frank Duffy I rested until six dull days had passed, which was a effort to help my knee heal. I only managed a mile and half before the same pains came back to haunt me :(. I did this run on grass so the impact on my knee each stride had a little more give, and even tried attempting to run after the pain went after 10 meters walking, but found 20 meters of running meant I was in agony again.

So the Physio had me in all sorts of positions, pushing down my knee in various areas to finally tell what was wrong....Patellar Tendonitis!!!!
    She has given me some exercise routines to strengthen the knee up and advised me that I can not go back to training for a month, but in order to keep my fitness I can go and run a short distance before then walking a similar distance before repeating it and building up the mileage that way. She also suggested I should get a knee support with a hole in it to support the knee cap for races.
    She gave the knee a nice massage and Ultrasound so hopefully this is the beginning of my running career rather than the end as I feared before seeing the Physio :)
    I see her again in two weeks, fingers crossed the exercises work to show improvement!

What did physio say about your plans to run the half and dcm? She think you'll be ok for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Ososlo wrote: »
    Yeah exactly, just play by ear. Start out as slowly as possible.
    Did you see Star for your last appointment?

I saw that scary man yes!

While the symptoms I had mimicked ITBS, it's not actually ITBS but nerve trouble

But my IT Band was way too tight too.

I've only ran 7 miles since last Friday so kinda anxious to do the whole 18 tomorrow night!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

digger2d2 wrote: »
    All standards at the Athlone 3/4 by the way - Also, fyi... The pacers run based on min/mile time with relevance to the Marathon... So, for instance, the 4 hour pacers are not trying to run the 3/4 in 4 hours, they are running at 4 hour marathon pace i.e. 9:09 ish, which can be helpful for some if they are not planning on doing it as an LSR at 45-90 seconds slower than PMP.

I hate to have to correct you there digs but in fact the organiser is very insistent that the pacers do not run at PMP for the 20 miles, instead he instructs us to run at a 'steady' LSR pace for the race. I paced the '3:30' group last year with marthastew and we ran most of the race around 8;30/mile instead of PMP which would be 8 min/mile (though we did put in a few miles close to PMP near the end)
    This is clearly laid out in the event FAQ
    http://www.athlone3quarter.com/faq.php

Will pacemakers be used?

Our intention is to use pacemakers for the course as the ideal marathon preparation event.

Pacers will be running at the equivalent of 3, 3.30 and 4 hour pace.

Pacing will be based on the following:

- 3:00 Marathon Pace Group: Planned 2:25 for 3/4 Marathon = 4:35/km = 7:20/mile

- 3:30 Marathon Pace Group: Planned 2:50 for 3/4 Marathon = 5:22/km = 8:35/mile

- 4:00 Marathon Pace Group: Planned 3:15 for 3/4 Marathon = 6:10/km = 9:51/mile

I don't think it would be a good idea for anyone to run 20 miles @ PMP 3 weeks out from DCM, especially over such a tough; hilly course. I plan to be pacing the '3;30' group at the 3/4 again this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

menoscemo wrote: »
    I hate to have to correct you there digs but in fact the organiser is very insistent that the pacers do not run at PMP for the 20 miles, instead he instructs us to run at a 'steady' LSR pace for the race. I paced the '3:30' group last year with marthastew and we ran most of the race around 8;30/mile instead of PMP which would be 8 min/mile (though we did put in a few miles close to PMP near the end)
    This is clearly laid out in the event FAQ
    http://www.athlone3quarter.com/faq.php

Will pacemakers be used?

Our intention is to use pacemakers for the course as the ideal marathon preparation event.

Pacers will be running at the equivalent of 3, 3.30 and 4 hour pace.

Pacing will be based on the following:

I don't think it would be a good idea for anyone to run 20 miles @ PMP 3 weeks out from DCM, especially over such a tough; hilly course. I plan to be pacing the '3;30' group at the 3/4 again this year.

Ah, that's it alright - I knew there was something funny about the pacers at this event ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Looks like my DCM dream is over for this year, haven't been able to run for nearly 3 weeks because of a groin injury that is still lingering. :(

I'll keep my ticket and see how it goes but realistically I know it isn't happening, so the new plan is to rest up, find a new marathon and then start the four months training again.

So, any recommendations for a good marathons December/January/February?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Barcelona in March is really good. Did it in 2011 and ran a huge PB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Popped out for an easy run last night but ended up running it at avg 9:10 per mile over 7.5 miles.. Would have stayed out a little longer but had to be home for dinner!!

Tried out a packet of Stinger energy chews.. Verdict is its impossible to chew and breathe at pace.. But there were tasty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Powerbar Ride Shots or Clif Shot Blox are much easier to eat on the move if you want something with a bit more bite than a gel :)

Looks like my DCM dream is over for this year, haven't been able to run for nearly 3 weeks because of a groin injury that is still lingering. :(

I'll keep my ticket and see how it goes but realistically I know it isn't happening, so the new plan is to rest up, find a new marathon and then start the four months training again.

So, any recommendations for a good marathons December/January/February?
    That's a shame but you seem to be dealing with it well. Great idea to target another. I'm sure you'll get lots of recommendations for alternatives for this year and hopefully you can look to dcm 2015 for another shot!
    Stick around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Waterford in December if you are looking for something closer to home and not as exotic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

menoscemo wrote: »

Thanks menoscemo, nothing after 4:00 pace group though? pity it would have been a good chance to try running with a pacer over a long distance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Clonakilty is a good one in early December I would say. Ive only done the half but overall seems like a good event. A bit tougher in terms of elevation profile than some of the city ones but worth it by all accounts, apart from a mishap one year with traffic management.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Mini-update. Full moan will follow post, hopefully, 20m LSR :-)
    5km went really well on Tuesday night, new PB 22.37 so delighted.
    8 miles last night and couldn't slow pace so just stuck with it and did it in 1.08. I enjoyed it.
    Ankle needs to 'click' but trying not to force it. Calf a bit tight.
    Have been recommended to go to Functional Training for niggles before the half and full.
    I'm sorry more are unable for DCM 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Has anyone ever experimented with a good way of carrying and eating mashed up banana on a long run?

I want to try something like that on my LSR this weekend. Maybe sprinkle some other good stuff through it (pinch of salt, cinnamon, nut or whatever)

All I can think of is to carry some in a little sandwich bag, rip it open and gorge like a pig. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Has anyone ever experimented with a good way of carrying and eating mashed up banana on a long run?

I want to try something like that on my LSR this weekend. Maybe sprinkle some other good stuff through it (pinch of salt, cinnamon, nut or whatever)

All I can think of is to carry some in a little sandwich bag, rip it open and gorge like a pig. :D

I tried eating a banana last week on my lsr.. nearly choked on it.. Had to stop and clear my mouth and on again!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Bawnmore_Ent.

I accidentally mushed up my banana on a long run recently, it was still in skin but gone soft.
    I ate it anyway as i had nothing else, I found it very easy take on, and tasted fine.
    It got me thinking about mushing before hand and puting in clip seal bag, and rolling into tube.
    Then when on run, tear off top like a gel and squeeze.

I must try it one of the days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I thought about taking real foods but the weight of them put me off. The same with carrying water. A 500ml bottle of water is an extra 500g of weight to carry. You would be working hard to lose extra weight from your body in the first place. The gels I am using are just 60g each. A banana is probably close to 200g.

Did a bit of googling there. Average banana weighs around 120g and contains around 108 calories.
    The Kinetica gel has 80 calories.
    Btw I got my box of Kinetica gels delivered couple of days after I ordered. They seemed to have a base somewhere in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I broke the 1,000 mile barrier for the year myself today, its crazy as I only properly started to use the garmin in April. I would say I only have maybe 15 runs in the first 3 months of the year. Anyway a good achievement for me anyway.

http://connect.garmin.com/profile/Irishkop44

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Janey mackers, bad day for me running wise!
    The plan = 20 lsr
    The reality = 8 miles of torture & 4 miles of walking/physiological warfare with the head!
    was looking foward to this run, but a late night with the kids, early morning for the school run & 21 degrees heat didn't agree with me for some reason. It was a roaster in carlow today, set off later than usual, 10 o'clock & a mile in I knew it was gonna be tough. Had a stitch that kept niggling but kept on, mind over matter & all that, but had to face it at 8/9 miles that it wasn't gonna happen today. Disappointed, but not deterred, there's always another lsr! I'm away from tomorrow, so any advice on how to make it up, or do i even try and make it up in next weeks run?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Went for my sports massage today, seemed good, by which I mean it hurt a bit so I assume it did me some good.

I'll see how I am over the next few days I guess.

I got out for 3 miles at recovery pace this evening, 10:30 m/m

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

That sounds disgusting. It would probably go brown. Barf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Went to Amphibian King/Base2Race last night for new runners, great experience with very knowledgeable lady in the shop. My first time getting proper runners fitted so hope they will make a difference. She said my own runners (asics from elverys at xmass) were totally worn out & didnt have enough support at all. Im sorry now that I didnt go sooner.

Have had a bit if a niggle in my right lower leg on the outside & a bit on my knee, dtarted on Tues. Never felt anything there before. Im wondering if its just a case of increasing the miles this week coupled with lsr on Sat that has caused it. Lsr is planned for Sat morn & I am wondering if I should still go ahead or not.

Also how do you break in new runners? Or can I just wear them on lsr?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Mimojo wrote: »
    Went to Amphibian King/Base2Race last night for new runners, great experience with very knowledgeable lady in the shop. My first time getting proper runners fitted so hope they will make a difference. She said my own runners (asics from elverys at xmass) were totally worn out & didnt have enough support at all. Im sorry now that I didnt go sooner.

Have had a bit if a niggle in my right lower leg on the outside & a bit on my knee, dtarted on Tues. Never felt anything there before. Im wondering if its just a case of increasing the miles this week coupled with lsr on Sat that has caused it. Lsr is planned for Sat morn & I am wondering if I should still go ahead or not.

Also how do you break in new runners? Or can I just wear them on lsr?!

Id say you are because of the old runners they are not supporting you. Id ice the area which is sore for about 10 mins at a time.

How far is your lsr? Id normally do about 50 miles on new runners before going on a lsr with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Id say you are because of the old runners they are not supporting you. Id ice the area which is sore for about 10 mins at a time.

How far is your lsr? Id normally do about 50 miles on new runners before going on a lsr with them.

Thanks, will ice it when I get home from work & hope that does the trick. Its not bad at all, its just I can see my knee feels a bit sore & as I havent felt this before I am a bit wary of it.

Planned LSR for tomorrow is 20 miles so prob not a good idea to break new runners in on this run, just know that my own runners are gone so dont want to do anymore harm. My own fault really, should have changed them before this. Will wait a few weeks and when funds allow buy a second pair of runners so I can alternate them and have 2 decent pairs on the go. Im learning!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Id be surprised if a pair of runners were gone after 6 months. Unless you are doing serious mileage and were wearing the sides down. I see a lot of people going to Amphibian King and being told you definitely need new runners. They are going to say that anyway as they are on a sales pitch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Disagree there Tiger, AK have always been pretty straight up anytime I've been in there and to be honest it's not that difficult to clock up 300-600 miles in 6 months which would definitely wear out a pair of runners.

• Advertisement

denis160 wrote: »
    Janey mackers, bad day for me running wise!
    The plan = 20 lsr
    The reality = 8 miles of torture & 4 miles of walking/physiological warfare with the head!
    was looking foward to this run, but a late night with the kids, early morning for the school run & 21 degrees heat didn't agree with me for some reason. It was a roaster in carlow today, set off later than usual, 10 o'clock & a mile in I knew it was gonna be tough. Had a stitch that kept niggling but kept on, mind over matter & all that, but had to face it at 8/9 miles that it wasn't gonna happen today. Disappointed, but not deterred, there's always another lsr! I'm away from tomorrow, so any advice on how to make it up, or do i even try and make it up in next weeks run?
    Can you attempt it again in the next few days? If you've managed to do most of your lsrs I don't think it's a huge deal to miss one and just continue on with your training and do the next lsr at the weekend as per the plan. If you've missed a few then maybe try do it in the next few days.

Advertisement