Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balding tail advice

• 06-05-2014 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, just a question about tails. It seems to be fairly common amongst greyhounds and lurchers that they get the bald spot from sitting.
    Vet said to put sudocream on it but it doesn't soak in and is very greasey so will just get everywhere.
    Any idea's on other ways to treat it? Not looking for medical advice just if anyone has had the same issue and is there anything you can do about it.
    Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I've had greyhounds for years, and have known many lurchers, never saw any with a bald spots on their tails? Mine all sit/sat with their tails out behind them except when curled into a ball and then it's wrapped around them.

Where exactly is this bald spot? What kind of bedding is the dog on? Any biting of the tail?

I'm not sure of the benefits of putting sudocreme on a bald spot that is caused by sitting. I would have thought that would be better on a rash or sore of some kind.

Has the dog always had this spot or is it a recent thing?

Hope you don't mind all the questions, it's just something I've never seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Toulouse wrote: »
    I've had greyhounds for years, and have known many lurchers, never saw any with a bald spots on their tails? Mine all sit/sat with their tails out behind them except when curled into a ball and then it's wrapped around them.

Where exactly is this bald spot? What kind of bedding is the dog on? Any biting of the tail?

I'm not sure of the benefits of putting sudocreme on a bald spot that is caused by sitting. I would have thought that would be better on a rash or sore of some kind.

Has the dog always had this spot or is it a recent thing?

Hope you don't mind all the questions, it's just something I've never seen.

no, of course I don't mind. Its only happened in the past year. She has a bed, MINE! Lol.
    They dogs pretty much sleep wherever they fancy, normally as close to me as possible.
    I'm surprised you've never seen the bald patch. I've seen it on quite a few greys. Its just a patch in the middle of the tail, she doesn't bite at it or anything and the vet didn't seem to think it was any kind of infection.
    See I also can't fathom how its caused by sitting either cos as you say she sleeps and sits the same as you describe.
    Maybe should take a picture and post it but at work at the moment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Is it on the top surface or bottom surface of the tail?

Top surface.

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Top surface.

And about half way up the tail?
    If so, is it not just the scent gland that dogs have there (although I always associated these more with males than females, but I don't suppose there's any reason females wouldn't have them either!)?
    There's no doubt that this gland area is more obvious in some dogs than others... In some you can't see it at all, some have a thinner coating of (often wirey) hair over it, others have no hair on it... It seems to depend a lot on the coat type.
    Could that be it?

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    And about half way up the tail?
    If so, is it not just the scent gland that dogs have there (although I always associated these more with males than females, but I don't suppose there's any reason females wouldn't have them either!)?
    There's no doubt that this gland area is more obvious in some dogs than others... In some you can't see it at all, some have a thinner coating of (often wirey) hair over it, others have no hair on it... It seems to depend a lot on the coat type.
    Could that be it?

Well a bit of reading up on google (while trying not to terrify myself) seems to agree.
    Some people just recommend giving it a soapy wash a few of times a week. (I have natural soap with no chemicals that my friend makes)
    Might get some witch hazel for it as well. It doesn't bother her at all, its more me and it just looks so unattractive on my gorgeous doggie.

I don't think there's anything you can do about it tbh, it's just a natural part of the body! Not sure I'd root at it at all.

DBB wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything you can do about it tbh, it's just a natural part of the body! Not sure I'd root at it at all.

I'll take that on board DBB but it does look very dry. So is there anyway of moisturising it?
    I give them sardines once a week at the moment so getting oil in their diet and tend to put a wee bit of olive oil over their dinner as well.

It can have a dry look to it because the skin is thickened in the area. Seriously, if your vet's not worried, and more importantly if the pooch herself isn't worried, I'd be inclined to leave well enough alone :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

With my own lady, it's caused by wearing a coat too that's too long for her so it hangs low over her bottom and the hem makes contact with the tail at a particular point. The hair is so short and fine it wears away easily. Donated the coat to someone else, problem solved! Hair came back!

• Advertisement

boomerang wrote: »
    With my own lady, it's caused by wearing a coat too that's too long for her so it hangs low over her bottom and the hem makes contact with the tail at a particular point. The hair is so short and fine it wears away easily. Donated the coat to someone else, problem solved! Hair came back!

Mine has never worn a coat. I always said when she stopped jumping in water in the freezing cold I would get one for her. Hasn't happened yet. :D

Advertisement