Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does it really matter where you study your masters (science related)

• 06-05-2014 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭

I've applied for a number of taught masters degrees in the UK and I've being offered a place on most of them, just waiting on one more before I make up my mind. I thought I'd get one offer and that would be that, but I'm now left with the dilemma of deciding which university to pick now.

All the courses that I applied for all cover the modules that I want to study, by and large they are all pretty much the same. I'm very happy these courses I think they're just perfect.

Not sure if it makes any difference but I'm planning to study analytical science. Most of the places I've been offered would be ranked within the top 50'ish in the UK and the final one I'm waiting on is in the top 10.

I'm just wondering what relevance does the ranking of a university come into it if your studying a masters degree. Would the prestige of the university have more relevance if you were to study a social science/business/law etc. ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

The course content is the most important thing. Employers will be more interested in what you've actually learned, rather than the reputation of a particular institution. Sure, some people will look at a CV and be impressed by the fact that you graduated from <insert prestigious institution here>, but by and large, it's really not that important. Especially since you seem to be suggesting that there isn't a great deal to choose between your various options, based on rankings/reputations.

Look at it this way. Most Irish third-level institutions are virtually unheard of outside of Ireland, but that doesn't stop Irish graduates landing jobs abroad.

Advertisement