Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Vodafone mobile wi-fi and home network

Options
  • 06-05-2014 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭

First off I'm not that techie so bear with me.

Due to living in the sticks my broadband over the landline is poor. I thought I had the solution with the Vodafone mobile wi-fi R206 with great download speeds of 10Mbps and upwards. We even watched a movie!!!

But... I have a NAS, sonos speaker, and remote calving camera all connecting through my conventional eircom router. I need remote access to view the calving camera. So my question is, is there anyway I can get all these working together and drop the landline broadband? i.e. connect the vodafone wifi r206 to the router?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

You can get a 3G router in Amazon fairly reasonable.

Watch your usage limits when using mobile broadband. Some can measure your usage and cap it so you don't go over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

From the Vodafone blurb...
    This mobile WiFi device will wirelessly connect you to our mobile broadband network – wherever you happen to be. And what’s more, you can use it to connect up to five devices to the internet at once: your laptop, games console, camera or phone – anything WiFi enabled.

So if you could convert your current eircom router into a wifi AP you should be able to connect your wired devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Thanks for the feedback lads. I returned it the following day from the first post as I was at the end of the 14 day period. The 15GB limit isn't expandable and therefore the extra benefit of the download speed would be lost. Also I know ye offered solutions to access the other items but I'd to decide that morning before I got your posts. Instead I've gone for the simply broadband over the landline for €25pm with limitless data download and got rid of the landline phone. Normal speed is 2.5MB but in the evening when you'd want to stream something to watch it can drop to 1MB.

Funny thing about Vodafone, there are better deals available in the shop than on the net!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

€25 including line rental? That's a very good deal considering line rental is €20.96 + vat.

Advertisement