Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's this in Coke Lane?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I think its a maintenance shed of some description, possibly something to do with water supply? Especially if its anywhere near the canal. (On a mobile so no easy access to maps)

Edit: its just by the Liffey so thats my best guess. Someone else might know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

old toilets that were used for the markets?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

It's my gaf...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

There were a few different planning applications for Coke Lane to the Council back in the crazy times. In these the building was described as a decommissioned ESB substation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Thought it was the old market place police station or similar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

There is a similar structure in Newmarket. The one in Newmarket was a type of booth where you paid the official to have your market stall.

Presumably this served a similar function...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

coolemon wrote: »
    There is a similar structure in Newmarket. The one in Newmarket was a type of booth where you paid the official to have your market stall.

Presumably this served a similar function...

I think the one in Newmarket was a booth alright, but there used to be bays for weighing trucks/lorries. There was one in Smithfield further up the square towards the Bolton Street end (one either side). This one in Coke Street could have been another one....

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

The Duk wrote: »

yep, that's the one....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

That was at the other end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

Hootanany wrote: »
    That was at the other end

I should have really asked my Dad first as he was born in Smithfield. Here’s a picture of him and his brother (allegedly)... http://fluswikien.hfwu.de/images/3/34/Smithfield_historic_001.jpg. He says it was an electricity station of some sort. Bought a few years back for 60,000 or so. Someone tried to build a 10 storey building on the area it occupies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

The weighbridge was up the other end of Smithfield. The pub in the background of the photo is now Cobblestones.

The red brick building we're talking about was the old ESB Haymarket substation. It is mentioned as such in an appeal to An Bord Pleanala in relation to plans for the Luas in the late 1990s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

I should have really asked my Dad first as he was born in Smithfield. Here’s a picture of him and his brother (allegedly)... http://fluswikien.hfwu.de/images/3/34/Smithfield_historic_001.jpg. He says it was an electricity station of some sort. Bought a few years back for 60,000 or so. Someone tried to build a 10 storey building on the area it occupies.

Did they get planning for that building and it didn't go ahead because of the down turn or was planning rejected? Wonder will it still be built?

Advertisement