Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holes in runners, advice needed

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Would be great if the manufacturers would strengthen known problem areas, but I guess not in their interest.

Many do, probably all do in my experience apart from Asics. Apart from when I was a kid and wearing the crap out of runners from climbing and messing about, the only runner or shoe that has got a hole in the top have been Asics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

All my runners develop a hole over the big toe sooner or later

Problem with Asics, based on what others have experience on this thread and all the other threads on other forums, is that with Asics it's usually sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

My mum had this happen with a pair of Asics after two weeks (walking not running) and JD sports wouldn’t take them back and said it’s your fault not the manufacturer.
    She had me email Asics. They got back with a load of questions about height weight gait etc.
    Are they used for walking or running? So I answered them all honestly and it was almost like AHA! These are for running, so because you’re a walker that’s why your toe went through.
    They stressed that it was nothing to do with manufacture, but sent an ugly black pair anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I've had similar 'big toe hole' issues. I started getting some of the other half's nail polish and painted the at risk area before it wore through, worked wonders. She has almost enough colours to match all my runners.....thinking of buying her some hi-vis yellow nail polish for her birthday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I just checked couple pairs me old asics.....I'm starting to think this has eff all to do with tallon like toenails

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Do you also have corresponding holes I your socks?
    If yes > cut toenails
    If no > it's the shoe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

It's all about fit. I've wore tons of asics shoes over the years and never had a problem with holes appearing in the upper. I even had a pair of hyperspeed 5's with a 1000+ miles on them where the sole is so worn that I feel my foot touch the ground but the upper is still perfectly intact. On the other hand, I've had one pair of adidas(adios boost 2) and blew a hole in the upper with about 50 miles on them. The width of the toebox was off for my foot and that was the result. Sizing of a shoe is more than just a 10 or 11. There is width sizing as well like C and D and E. Like normal sizing, manufactures will vary. Shoes that are too wide or too narrow will usually cause excess wear to the upper.

I'm also going to take a guess that many people who have this issue are fairly big heel strikers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I don't even run and this has happened to 2 pairs of Ascics I owned.
    Never on any other runners at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

I've had a few pair of Ascis with no issues on the toes, maybe 1000km plus on them. Then on the other side of it one of the guys in our club is always having issues with the same model Ive had with holes in this toes. It's must be either have a size too small, not cutting your nails, or running with your toes up or something. I guess go to a proper running shop and explain your issues they will point you in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Quality of asics in recent years has been poor in my experience. DS trainer for years and last two iterations have fallen apart fairly quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Safiri wrote:
    I'm also going to take a guess that many people who have this issue are fairly big heel strikers.

Nope. Not a heel striker and every pair of asics I've had bar the dynaflytes have holes in the big toe area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

I've had similar issues with asics and it turned me off them. I've see a lot of posts elsewhere on web. I thought I read somewhere that asics had made changes to toe box addressing this. It affected sizing and People were being advised not to buy solely on previous size but to try on. Can't remember where I saw this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Just cut your role nails......problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Perhaps get slightly wider runners? Have a pair of boots near me somewhere where the material under the toes was ripped from its base, as they were too narrow for my feet.

I guess go to a proper running shop and explain your issues they will point you in the right direction.

When I used to wear them they were always fit in the likes of Amphibian King/Base2Race etc.

Even if you google xxxx toe hole you get very few hits compared to Asics, there's even YouTube videos on how to try avoid the issues in Asics. I think the evidence is overwhelming on them being poorly made in that area.
    micar wrote: »
    Just cut your role nails......problem solved.

Cutting your big to off entirely is a better solution for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Safiri wrote: »
    It's all about fit. I've wore tons of asics shoes over the years and never had a problem with holes appearing in the upper. I even had a pair of hyperspeed 5's with a 1000+ miles on them where the sole is so worn that I feel my foot touch the ground but the upper is still perfectly intact. On the other hand, I've had one pair of adidas(adios boost 2) and blew a hole in the upper with about 50 miles on them. The width of the toebox was off for my foot and that was the result. Sizing of a shoe is more than just a 10 or 11. There is width sizing as well like C and D and E. Like normal sizing, manufactures will vary. Shoes that are too wide or too narrow will usually cause excess wear to the upper.

I didn't know that Asic's do the width sizing also, thought it was only new balance etc. Im not sure that Asic's do have the option looking at their website but I wonder could that could be the issue.

Good vid here on sizing...

Also I don't tie my laces, they are cut and knotted on the last lace hole as seen in my posted pictures. Asic's say they should be tied tight with the laces, Is it that important to lace tie your running shoes?

I don't see how you could get them on properly without untying and retying them each time. I never untie and retie casual runners, but in order to get my running shoes off and on proper I'd have to do it each time.

Advertisement