Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB devices/Mouse stopping working

Options
  • 07-05-2014 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

Im having a problem with my USB devices, mostly my mouse. Basically sometimes, randomly, for no apparent reason, it will stop responding. Its still connected, as the light on the bottom of the mouse is working

Im pretty sure its not the mouse itself, as I tried a different one and had the same problem. I also dont think its the USB port, as Ive moved it around from port to port and still had problems.

Today though all of my USB devices died at once, including my keyboard and mouse. I didnt have the backup mouse plugged in at this time (just back from a trip)

Anybody any ideas of what this could be, how to fix it, what to update, etc?

Running Windows 8 on a very highly specced desktop that is about 10 months old.

I have a program called Drivermax that keeps drivers updated. THere is one driver that when I update it, my mouse dies, so I roll it back, and I have never updated it. Its a driver to do with USB devices or something, cant quite remember

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Firblog

You could try going into device manager and uninstalling all the usb hubs/controllers at the bottom of the list under 'universal serial bus controllers' - then shutdown/restart and windows will reinstall everything again when you restart the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

Will try that, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i prefer to update drivers myself, i wouldn't really trust these programs that do it for you. I have not used DriverMax, reviews online are mixed. Could it have installed an outdated or wrong driver in your situation.

I'd be interested in seeing the outcome of "Firblog" suggested fix, if Windows reinstalls the drivers and it works, could DriverMax have been at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I find drivermax very useful,
    if you save all the driver files ,
    you can reinstall any driver any time.
    I don,t use it for updates.
    i just use it to store all driver files.
    go to device manager, in control panel,
    IS there any sign of missing drivers,
    click on device manager, usb,

Use alt,tab,arrow keys, enter, to acess menus, enter, = select , works like a mouse click.

ie start menu, control panel, device manager,

Advertisement