Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants in Phibsborough?

Options
  • 07-05-2014 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

Hi there -
    Me and my Da are planning on playing snooker in CrossGuns snooker club in Phibsborough next week. We'd like to go for dinner afterwards. Can anyone recommend any restaurants around the neighbourhood? We will be on foot (and my old Da won't want to walk far).
    A quick google shows some pubs serving food, but neither of us wants to eat in a pub, it must be a restaurant.
    Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Woodstock Cafe is supposed to be good. I've never been though, so can't vouch for it myself.

It's just beside where the old Chartbusters (a Boots now, I think?) was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Woodstock is good and there is also an Italian beside the spar at Hart's corner. I've never been but only heard good things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Thanks - Woodstock seems nice from reviews but is only open till 8pm, so not really suitable for dinner in my book!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Woodstock is horrendous, full irish breakfasts and bought in lasagne and chips

The Porterhouse just across from cross guns is a huge modern pub, but the food is edible and they have 3 floors of which the top 2 are pretty much usually laid out for food only

It's the only option in the area

Bandara wrote: »

Hah, OK - this is what I need to know!
    The Porterhouse just across from cross guns is a huge modern pub, but the food is edible and they have 3 floors of which the top 2 are pretty much usually laid out for food only

OK, thanks, but "huge modern pub" is not an option for us.

Me and my Da normally go into town, but we sometimes go to Camden St and around there, we're spoiled for choice for restaurants. It's a shame for people in Phibsborough that there are so few options in the neighbourhood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

There's an Indian at the other end of the Whitworth Road called Ruposhi, and they do some really good meal deals, food and service are excellent.

You've also got Independent Pizza near that too. Good, proper pizza & some pasta meals too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Woodstock >>>>>>>>> Porterhouse IMO.

Porterhouse Phibs is an absolute dump of a place, I like the other bars in the chain but this is one to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Woodstock is nice enough for lunch they do some nice sandwiches Porterhouse North certainly isn't great been there for food a few times and its very average. I've been to Hedigans once and the food was pretty nice just standard pub grub really handy enough for Cross Guns though. Other than that i've only ever been to takeaways near there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Avoid Woodstock!!!!

The italian is lovely (have been there twice)
    The porterhouse is solid enough also.

The Brian Boru Pub do some nice food as do smyths (which is beside Cross Guns)

The Gravediggers pub is also lovely but they only do Tapas style food.

sham69 wrote: »
    Avoid Woodstock!!!!
    The italian is lovely (have been there twice)
    dan1895 wrote: »
    ... there is also an Italian beside the spar at Hart's corner. I've never been but only heard good things.

Thanks!
    Is the the same Italian? What's it called?

• Advertisement

There is also Botanic House been there a couple of times and the food has been very nice.

quaalude wrote: »
    Thanks!
    Is the the same Italian? What's it called?

Dall' Italiano I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭freesia1

camille thai restaurant is very nice, if you like thai food. only ever got a delivery of them so not sure what restauant is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Botanic House is closed as far I know - at least it has been shut down the last couple of times I thought of going.

There is basically no normal restaurant in Phibsboro. There was one beside mcDonalds but it burned down during the recession. Woodstock is like a kylemore, buffet style comfort food, handy if you haven't had a decent mammy type meal in a while, a little bit care in the community but its hard to avoid that in Phibsboro. The rest are pretty much standard pub fare. McGowans have a separate area laid out for food and do a restaurant type menu so its not as obvious you are in a pub. Food wise, I've been in Smyths (is that whats its called now?) within the last month and had a lovely lunch - its the pub right on the corner of the snooker hall so very handy. If its not busy could be a good compromise option.

I've been in the italian once, it was grand but tiny, more of a cafe vibe.

I'd probably advise jump a taxi into town or over to Drumcondra :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

freesia1 wrote: »
    camille thai restaurant is very nice, if you like thai food. only ever got a delivery of them so not sure what restauant is like.

Its basically two seats in front of the collection area ...

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.362222,-6.272748,3a,75y,100.13h,87.55t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s0la--XwXPSMYSrMhxzgtrg!2e0!6m1!1e1

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

There's a lovely Mc Donald's there....

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Botanic House is closed as far I know - at least it has been shut down the last couple of times I thought of going.

There is basically no normal restaurant in Phibsboro. There was one beside mcDonalds but it burned down during the recession. Woodstock is like a kylemore, buffet style comfort food, handy if you haven't had a decent mammy type meal in a while, a little bit care in the community but its hard to avoid that in Phibsboro. The rest are pretty much standard pub fare. McGowans have a separate area laid out for food and do a restaurant type menu so its not as obvious you are in a pub. Food wise, I've been in Smyths (is that whats its called now?) within the last month and had a lovely lunch - its the pub right on the corner of the snooker hall so very handy. If its not busy could be a good compromise option.

I've been in the italian once, it was grand but tiny, more of a cafe vibe.

I'd probably advise jump a taxi into town or over to Drumcondra :(

Thanks for that very informative post - the user name is apt!

My main problem with going to pubs is that 99% of them have a telly on.
    It completely ruins my enjoyment - regardless of what is on said TV, so I will not eat or drink anywhere with a telly.

Do any of the pubs mentioned have decent food and no TV?

Gravediggers has no TV its very old school the pub side! Hadn't heard that about the Botanic was only there earlier in the year had no idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Smiths no longer does food.

The Brian boru has a restaurant section usual pub food.

Independent pizza company in Drumcondra is nice - no TVs

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭freesia1

Also try maples hotel . restaurant open til 9 pm and does not need to be booked in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I completely forgot about Vagya, it's really really lovely family run place, once you don't mine walking 600 meters or it's very worth it

http://www.indublin.ie/restaurants/vagya_restaurant#.U2pX0om9LCQ

Hands down the best option (once you like the type of food).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

The food in L.Mulligan Grocer in Stoneybatter is fantastic. It's a pub but no tvs or any nonsense, the dining area is down the back and seems to be the bulk of their trade. As a southsider I'm not entirely sure of the distance between Phibsborough and Stoneybatter, but I'm assuming it's not that far?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

100% agree

One of the laziest and biggest myths going is to praise this place

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

Brian boru has no tv in the front bar and the tables at the back of it are a grand size for eating. The new WJ Kavanaghs on Dorset street have a lovely menu and no tv

snowey07 wrote: »
    Brian boru has no tv in the front bar and the tables at the back of it are a grand size for eating. The new WJ Kavanaghs on Dorset street have a lovely menu and no tv

I heard Kavanagh's closed down. Has it since reopened?

Also as good as Mulligans is, it's at least a twenty minute walk or taxi ride away.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

+1 for WJ Kavanaghs nice food ate there last week. Under different management but has kept the same general theme - good food and good beer. Used to be run by the same guys behind mulligans in Stoneybatter and while the food is not as good it's pretty similar. Word of warning though if you or your dad are after a pint of Guinness or other mainstream beers you won't get them here craft beers only.

macgabhs wrote: »
    Word of warning though if you or your dad are after a pint of Guinness or other mainstream beers you won't get them here craft beers only.

Grand - suits us perfectly.

Advertisement