Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpaid toll and Credit Rating

Options
  • 07-05-2014 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭

There is a radio advert at the moment claiming an unpaid toll can affect your credit rating, my understanding is only a bank debt can affect it so is this claim incorrect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If it goes unpaid and they take you to court and get a judgement against you, then it will impact on your credit rating. So, the ad is not false.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Paulw wrote: »
    If it goes unpaid and they take you to court and get a judgement against you, then it will impact on your credit rating. So, the ad is not false.

cheers, so it could rather than will, must listen closer next time to see ecact wording

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The advert is perfectly legal,.
    Just like breakfast cereal with as much sugar as a can of coke can have "A source of goodness" written on it, because it also has some fibre etc

Its technically true and as such they can legally make the claim

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I must admit that the ad caught my attention too - but yes, any unpaid debt has the potential to affect your credit rating IF the creditor secures and registers a judgement against you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Ging Ging

I was wondering is there a defined period that a debt must be outstanding for to impact bably on credit history? A couple of years back I let (bank) credit card fees go overdue by mistake on a few occassions. The minimum was always paid within the following month once I had realised the debt but I'm wondering how this might effect my credit rating? How do I check my credit rating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

The ICB credit check does not show judgements but it will show if legal action has been initiated against you by one of their members in relation to a specific debt. Their members are listed here http://www.stubbsgazette.ie/.

Toll companies are not members of the ICB so debts to them will not appear on your credit record.

To see judgements a company would have to use a service like Stubbs Gazette or Experian

Advertisement