Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone fell out of Engagement Ring for Second Time

Options
  • 07-05-2014 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭

Can someone advise me of my position with regards to repairing my engagement ring. It is 4.5 years old and last Christmas one of the small diamonds fell out. I brought it back to the jeweller where it was made and bought and they repaired it at my cost. However they went to great lengths to stress (quite rudely) that it was my fault that it happened. At the time I'd lost a bit of weight and the ring was quite loose so I thought fair enough. This morning I noticed another diamond has fallen out but this time it is part of the main cluster. I'm disappointed and quite mad about it as once again I may have to pay to have a ring repaired. The ring now fits properly, it didn't get a knock of any sort recently and the stone has just fallen out of the claw.

I don't want this to happen again as this is the second time in 6 months. Also, I don't have an elastic wallet and all these repairs are costing me money I really don't have. Everyone else I know who has an engagement ring wears them day in/day out for years without any stones falling out.

Can anyone tell me where I stand with regards to this? Do I have any consumer rights? I'm really beginning to feel the ring wasn't well made I only ever heard of this happening once before and the jeweller repaired it without any hesitation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nidge123

I have a three stone engagment ring and lost stone some years ago and had to go through my home insurance to have it replaced , i had it listed on my home insurance but was advised by jeweller tHat you should get your ring checked out once a year for loose setting etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'll see what they quote for replacement but the stones are very small so I doubt its worth going through home insurance. They cleaned it etc when they had it last Christmas so I would have expected them to check the claws etc to make sure it didn't happen again. It's not like I'm out rock climbing at the weekends or anything. It just gets the normal wear and tear.

Advertisement