Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

red bricks for raised beds

• 07-05-2014 10:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

anyone know a cheap place to get a few hundred bricks for a raised bed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

did you check donedeal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

adverts.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

can you use cobblelock brings for a raised bed?

you can use literally anything. All a raised bed is is a 'container' of soil raised above ground level. The idea being that it will drain better being higher above the water table. It also warms up faster that ground-level soil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭qzy

redser7 wrote: »
    It also warms up faster that ground-level soil.

And dries out quicker. However, I have all my Veg in raised beds as I find it easier to keep the inbetween areas clear and handier for netting etc..

• Advertisement

qzy wrote: »
    And dries out quicker. However, I have all my Veg in raised beds as I find it easier to keep the inbetween areas clear and handier for netting etc..

True, but if you mulch you shouldn't have problems. A decent sized bed of 8 x 4 foot will hold plenty of water, especially if you are adding humus-rich material to the soil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Have you considered railway sleepers OP?

They look good and would prob work out cheaper than the brick.

Or do what I done in my back garden, masonry walls cladded with half round timber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Forgot to add a pic!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tannywanny

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Forgot to add a pic!

Looks good..

I have recently moved house and am looking to get railway sleepers..

Do you kniw if you can stack them 2 or 3 high?

Want to build a raised flower bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

re: Sleepers
    You can stack them up to about 4 high. Stagger joints (like bricks) for better stability.

They won't last forever, though: soil and damp builds up between them and they may rot from the inside out after about fifteen years. What you do with them then is, dry them out, chop and burn them in your stove.
    The creosote makes wonderful firewood!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

Quick look on dd and 500 red brick 350e plus sand cement etc and time

Railway sleepers are roughly 15e ish really quick and easy to do

9x2 could work out cheaper but won't last as long

I would go with the sleepers as suggested unless you have your mind made up and red brick is going to be visually better suited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

katemarch wrote: »
    re: Sleepers
    You can stack them up to about 4 high. Stagger joints (like bricks) for better stability.

They won't last forever, though: soil and damp builds up between them and they may rot from the inside out after about fifteen years. What you do with them then is, dry them out, chop and burn them in your stove.
    The creosote makes wonderful firewood!

Be very careful of treated sleepers. They may contain toxic levels of wood preservatives. Don't use them in areas for growing vegetables and it is not recommend to use them as fuel due to the gases given off on combustion. As far as I am aware the Environmental Protection Agency has prohibited their sale for use in residential gardens since 2006.

See

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/homeandinteriors/designanddecor/suspect-sleepers-193479.html

There are a couple of irish architectural salvage places online that sell reclaimed bricks

I would go with the sleepers as suggested unless you have your mind made up and red brick is going to be visually better suited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

I have also seen scaffolding boards advertised on Done Deal for about €5 each

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what people generally refer to as railway sleepers for €15-€20 are not actually railway salvage, they're a standardised size of wood which has been treated, but not with creosote and tar in the way genuine wooden railway sleepers were.

Advertisement