Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Boskowski wrote: »
    What happened after with Barcelonas transfer ban?

I thought they couldn't do business for 2 windows and I see them being linked with everyone under the sun including Suarez. Did I miss something?

Banned from transfers when they couldnt sign anyone magically lifted before the window opens. When they are done they will get the ban again until xmas or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

astonaidan wrote: »
    Strange signing by Newcastle taking into account they had his brother and not sure but did he even score for them

We had Shola and Sammy Ameobi and they did fúck all too lest ye forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

That_Guy wrote: »
    We had Shola and Sammy Ameobi and they did fúck all too lest ye forget.
    That was my point kinda, signing a brother of a player who also tore up Holland. They are pretty much the same thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

According to the Telegraph, Guardian and other sources, City's bid for Mangala has been accepted. 32m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Victor Valdes fails a medical at Monaco.

Seems silly to give a medical to someone still recovering from such a serious injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

slingerz wrote: »
    As opposed to

Ronaldo - Benzema - Bale??????

Ronaldo - Suarez - Bale , that looks a whole pile better to me .

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Scottish wonderkid Ryan Gauld joins Sporting Lisbon - http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28106350

Good on the kid. Could have taken the easy route and joined an English club (or perhaps Celtic) for mega wages and thus lowered the possibility of ever reaching his ceiling, talent wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Emre Can to Liverpool. Guy is a beast in FM :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

- Debuchy has said on French TV that he's joining Arsenal

- Suarez off to Barcelona for £63m per a number of tomorrows newspapers

- Leicester will make a £5m bid for Connor Wickham who is out of contract next season and yet to sign a new deal at Sunderland

- Diego Poyet has signed for West Ham on a free

- Burnley have signed Marvin Sordell, Matt Taylor and likely Steven Reid

Echo are reporting £75m for Suarez.

So far tonight I've seen between £59m- £75m. Also seen £45m + Sanchez

Sure someone must be right !

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Echo are reporting £75m for Suarez.

So far tonight I've seen between £59m- £75m. Also seen £45m + Sanchez

Sure someone must be right !

One would expect that the Echo would be most likely to be correct, though I would be cautious of the fact that Liverpool will try and have the fee perceived as being as high as possible and have given them that figure (with Barcelona doing the opposite of course).

It'll probably be undisclosed with the true figure somewhere in between what those close to both clubs are reporting (if they do indeed end up being different figures).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Toni Kroos to Real Madrid is very close according to Sueddeutsche.de
    http://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/toni-kroos-abschied-vom-fc-bayern-ende-einer-widerspruechlichen-beziehung-1.2031843

Rumoured price is around €25M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Good on the kid. Could have taken the easy route and joined an English club (or perhaps Celtic) for mega wages and thus lowered the possibility of ever reaching his ceiling, talent wise.

You're gonna have to explain this one to me. Why would a player be more likely to reach their ceiling talentwise in Portugal than England?

Cristiano Ronaldo would scoff at that idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It's a stepping stone rather than jumping into the fire, if he tears up the Portuguese league he will get a big move to an English club. If he doesn't then he probably wasn't good enough for a Prem club anyway.

It's a stepping stone rather than jumping into the fire, if he tears up the Portuguese league he will get a big move to an English club. If he doesn't then he probably wasn't good enough for a Prem club anyway.

Tbh the kid is better off in Europe so he can get a better football education . You see all these wonder kids go to prem clubs and never make it because they aren't given a chance or they learn to play a certain way and don't fulfill their potential . So I do think he was better off going to Portugal .

CSF wrote: »
    You're gonna have to explain this one to me. Why would a player be more likely to reach their ceiling talentwise in Portugal than England?

Cristiano Ronaldo would scoff at that idea.

It's not difficult to comprehend. He has joined a club that prides themselves on playing football, with more of an emphasis on technique and intelligence than athleticism and having heart. Sporting have a long standing history of bringing youth players through into the first team as well. Would his skill set have been fully appreciated and developed at say a Celtic or numerous other EPL clubs? I doubt that, and again, fair play to him for not merely opting for the mega bucks he would have undoubtedly received had he gone to the EPL. Seeing British and Irish players not afraid to go abroad is a great thing.

As for Ronaldo, he had one of the great managers of all time at his side in England. Anyone lesser, I don't think he develops into the player he is today, especially after the drama of 2006 in the World Cup where he was public enemy number one going into the new season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It's not difficult to comprehend. He has joined a club that prides themselves on playing football, with more of an emphasis on technique and intelligence than athleticism and having heart. Sporting have a long standing history of bringing youth players through into the first team as well. Would his skill set have been fully appreciated and developed at say a Celtic or numerous other EPL clubs? I doubt that, and again, fair play to him for not merely opting for the mega bucks he would have undoubtedly received had he gone to the EPL. Seeing British and Irish players not afraid to go abroad is a great thing.

As for Ronaldo, he had one of the great managers of all time at his side in England. Anyone lesser, I don't think he develops into the player he is today, especially after the drama of 2006 in the World Cup where he was public enemy number one going into the new season.
    While I'd agree if he was 4 years younger, that the academies would be better outside England (although I find some of the other posters use of Europe as a term to be far too general) I would say there are more cases of great players being at Premiership clubs at the age of 18 and making it big than there are Portuguese.

If he's not good enough to be great, then he won't be, but the likes of Ronaldo, Barkley, Wilshere, Fabregas, Gerrard, Scholes. Neville, Sturridge, Beckham, Pique, Giggs and the lads would indicate to me that England is a better place to be at that age than Portugal.

Abidal has joined Olympiacos, just 2 days after signing a contract extension with Monaco.

BrzEAZ3CMAAZZ_b.jpg:large

Tbh the kid is better off in Europe so he can get a better football education . You see all these wonder kids go to prem clubs and never make it because they aren't given a chance or they learn to play a certain way and don't fulfill their potential . So I do think he was better off going to Portugal .

To expand on my post from earlier I do think it's time to either get that's young players playing in a more continental way or send them on loan for a year to a European club to help them learn some other things that they won't learn in England .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Abidal has joined Olympiacos, just 2 days after signing a contract extension with Monaco.

BrzEAZ3CMAAZZ_b.jpg:large

How long did he sign for??

• Advertisement

How long did he sign for??

He had signed a 1 year contract (extension?) with Monaco a couple of days, and now signed a 2 year contract with Olympiakos.

He had signed a 1 year contract (extension?) with Monaco a couple of days, and now signed a 2 year contract with Olympiakos.

Some people saying he left due to how Monaco treated Victor Valdes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Can see a host of bids coming in for Tim Krul after last night. Maybe wouldn't surprise me if he ended up at Manchester United to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Can see a host of bids coming in for Tim Krul after last night. Maybe wouldn't surprise me if he ended up at Manchester United to be honest.

As backup??

Surely if they do come in for him, it won't be based on last night? Teams will very rarely face a penalty shootout over the course of a season and his record of saving them is 2/20 for his career (0/5 last season).

I'd be extremely surprised if United paid the money Newcastle would want to have him sit on the bench because with De Gea there that's exactly what he would be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Seems ridiculous to me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Well, we have been linked with every other Dutch player. May be a testament to De Gea it's taken this long for someone to suggest a Dutch keeper :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Sanchez to Arsenal supposedly a done deal! Announcement maybe tomorrow and presentation on July 10th when the new Puma kit is launched for the Gunners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

DenMan wrote: »
    Sanchez to Arsenal supposedly a done deal! Announcement maybe tomorrow and presentation on July 10th when the new Puma kit is launched for the Gunners!

Much?? He'll be a excellent signing wherever he goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

General consensus is about 40million being widely reported at this stage it's a done deal.

Nothing confirmed though.

Him along with Debuchy would be good business.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

If a club sign Tim krul based on last night the manager deserves to be sacked immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

£32 million according to sources! Barcelona want to wrap up Suarez first, that's why there has been a delay on it.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/06/arsenal-have-32m-alexis-sanchez-transfer-offer-accepted-by-barcelona-4788690/

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Panti's off Willy in...

Brilliant! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Manuel certainly likes sticking with his old players. Great buy for City.

Arsenal look to be getting Sanchez and Man Utd are reportedly chasing Vidal. I believe the former, not so sure about the latter. Great coup for Utd if they got him though. Fantastic acquisition for Arsenal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

You could get a job writing headlines for The Sun:D

@BBCSport
    Follow
    .@LFC agree deal for Belgium striker Divock Origi from Lille and want £25m Lazar Markovic next http://bbc.in/1mnHr4L

Transfer Central TNC @TransferNewsCen
    Follow
    Majority of English/Chilean/Spanish reports: Barcelona have accepted a £32m (€41m) fee from Arsenal for Liverpool targer Alexis Sanchez

RE: Caballero to City.

£6m-£10m for a backup keeper? :eek: I know it's Manchester City who are flush with money, but will he be sitting on the bench after spending that much on him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Suspect he'll probably be the FA Cup or equiv keeper and Joe will be No 1 for the main comptetions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Sanchez is a great buy, top quality player. It should mean Ozil moving back behind the striker as well, we should see the best of him back in his favourite position.

I have to say other than FM I've never heard of or seen Lazar play a game, 20-25 million seems a lot. If that's true it looks like Liverpool's spending will be at about 60 million and still haven't improved on the defence and little improvement in midfield. A LB, CB, RB and DM still needed IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Sanchez is a great buy, top quality player. It should mean Ozil moving back behind the striker as well, we should see the best of him back in his favourite position.

I have to say other than FM I've never heard of or seen Lazar play a game, 20-25 million seems a lot. If that's true it looks like Liverpool's spending will be at about 60 million and still haven't improved on the defence and little improvement in midfield. A LB, CB, RB and DM still needed IMO.

Emre can was signed for the DM position, can also cover LB. Agreed that we really need another RB as johnson seems to be going backwards every season.

Disappointing to find out about that as he is a very talented keeper, though given Hart's ability, good ol Willy might see himself as City's No.1 rather soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Emre Can's best position is DM.

I'd say Liverpool will almost certainly buy a CB and LB. Not linked with any RB's though so looks like they will stick with Johnson/Flanagan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Arsenal being linked with Lars Bender now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Arsenal being linked with Lars Bender now
    Thought that one was very clearly ruled out by Bender himself earlier in the summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Disappointing to find out about that as he is a very talented keeper, though given Hart's ability, good ol Willy might see himself as City's No.1 rather soon.

Yep, I'd say Pelligrini is waiting for Hart to make a mistake so he can drop him.

Ashley Cole signs for Roma.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Ashley Cole signs for Roma.

Excellent move for both parties IMO, probably the best move he could have gotten.

He still has a lot to offer and is essentially coming off a semi-break of one season which, given his age, might prove to be more of a help than a hindrance. He has never really had any issues with playing near 50 games a season over his career either.

This way he gets to move to a team in the Champions League who will be hoping to challenge for the league title and Roma get an improvement at the LB position.

I've got to admit, if I was him I'd be off to America :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Surprised Cole didn't end up over in the MLS myself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement