Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

MD1990 wrote: »
    Roma are going to be huge contenders next season in Serie A & possible dark horses in the CL.
    If they could get a striker they would have an excellent squad.

Aye, was looking up odds after the signing last night. They're now down to 7/2 after signing Iturbe for the Seria A title, 5/1 or 15/4 depending where before that. Have a $100 on them at 5/1 myself when Iturbe was said to be in talks a couple of days ago.

Think they're a year out from really contending in the CL though. Getting Strootman back and in anywhere the form he showed prior to his injury, that and keeping him next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Aye, was looking up odds after the signing last night. They're now down to 7/2 after signing Iturbe for the Seria A title, 5/1 or 15/4 depending where before that. Have a $100 on them at 5/1 myself when Iturbe was said to be in talks a couple of days ago.

Think they're a year out from really contending in the CL though. Getting Strootman back and in anywhere the form he showed prior to his injury, that and keeping him next summer.

Not a bad shout if they keep Benatia, if not then they can forget about the league I reckon, he's been a rock for them

Not a bad shout if they keep Benatia, if not then they can forget about the league I reckon, he's been a rock for them

True. After Mangala signing for City, I'm a lot more confident in him staying. Bit like Hummels, Barca may change that depending on the Marquinhos deal falling through or not, some press in Spain have said it has fallen through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Gary Dempsey signing for Shelbourne

21/25

Zorc more or less confirming Hummels is staying at Dortmund.

Enner Valencia to West Ham is confirmed subject to a work permit.

Michu to Napoli on loan confirmed.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ferdinand is having his medical for QPR now or very soon anyway. £3.6M for a 35 year old.. Arry is well and truly back.

Elsewhere, Crystal Palace have agreed fees for Sigurdsson and Frazier Campbell for £8M and £600K respectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

£3.6M for a 35 year old.. Arry is well and truly back.
    Where are you getting that figure from?

I've heard it's a lot nearer to 25-30k p/week basic plus bonuses which will bring it closer to £1.5M. Still a lot, granted, but not as much as is being bandied around by the likes of the Mail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

El Weirdo wrote: »

I've heard it's a lot nearer to 25-30k p/week basic plus bonuses which will bring it closer to £1.5M. Still a lot, granted, but not as much as is being bandied around by the likes of the Mail.

The £70,000 a week that the Mail and ESPN are claiming would seem a lot more realistic than £25,000-£30,000 a week.

The way things have gone, a hell of a lot of squad players in the Premier League are even on £25,000 a week and considering QPR's wage bill is around £80m, I dread to think of what some of their players are pulling in.

None of us will know for sure but I'd be astonished if Rio Ferdinand, who will be a first choice player, is playing for a wage of about 20% of what he was reportedly on at Manchester United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Rio Ferdinand playing for 25k a week....yeah right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

De Jong, Janmaat, Riviere, Perez, Cabella and Colback in isn't a bad bit of business from Newcastle. First time in ages I remember us getting a load of players in during a summer window.

Mind you, we still need a new CB/Striker imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Yaya Toure confirms on SSN he is staying with City. Much ado about nothing in the end.

El Weirdo wrote: »

Twitter, fairly sure it was a ESPN journo who said it. He'll be on 50K P/W minimum at least, IMO.

Immobile to Dortmund is official.

Bs01h6UIYAAPSWG.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Wasn't that done before the World Cup? Great signing either way, should replace Lewandowski quite well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Michu to Napoli on loan confirmed.
    What a strange move. Surely they could have just sold him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

What a strange move. Surely they could have just sold him?

Most likely an option to buy attached to that one

• Advertisement

Brown Ideye to West Brom, £10m.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-bromwich-albion-set-shatter-7456997
    West Bromwich Albion are set to shatter their transfer record with the £10million signing of Nigeria international striker Brown Ideye.

The 25-year-old, who is currently contracted to Dynamo Kyiv, held talks with Albion officials this morning, before undergoing a medical.

His move will be subject to a work permit being granted but Albion hope to announce the deal on Monday, if not earlier.

The forward has scored 33 goals in 74 games for the Ukranian giants, also netting five in 23 for his country.

Ideye has previously played for French club Sochaux and Swiss side Neuchatel Xamax.

The Baggies are still looking for more forwards.

Their previous record transfer fee was the £6million spent on Stephane Sessegnon last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Borini could be on his way to Sunderland

Tony Barrett @TonyBarretTimes · 13m
    Sunderland have agreed a fee with Liverpool for Fabio Borini. The deal will be worth up to £14m if Borini can agree personal terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

0028673 wrote: »
    Borini signs for Sunderland

Not yet.
    Sunderland have agreed a fee with Liverpool for Fabio Borini. The deal will be worth up to £14m if Borini can agree personal terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

14m?! Jesus..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

0028673 wrote: »
    Borini signs for Sunderland

When is this all going to stop that is a crazy transfer fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

When is this all going to stop that is a crazy transfer fee.
    Sshhhhh....

We are selling, not buying.

Huge discount, tbf:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

14m?

*checks the price on Poyet to be first manager sacked*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Borini has potential but £14m is way too much. The TV money has really inflated the prices of players.

5live wrote: »
    Sshhhhh....

We are selling, not buying.

Huge discount, tbf:pac:

I suppose Andy Carroll cost 2.5 times that . Makes it a bargain for Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Worth up to £14million,

When you consider what Fulham paid for a Championship level striker and how crucial a player Borini was to Sunderland last season, I don't think it is crazy money.

A big fee for Sunderland, but they need quality and someone who has proven he can play the system would be a much better "gamble" than another target.

As a Sunderland season ticket holder I hope he can agree terms, I enjoyed watching him strut his stuff at Sunderland last year, and unlike many before him at Sunderland - I think he put all his heart into it.

19-Pop-Champagne.gif

• Advertisement

Hope he does well at Sunderland.

Worth up to £14million,

When you consider what Fulham paid for a Championship level striker and how crucial a player Borini was to Sunderland last season, I don't think it is crazy money.

A big fee for Sunderland, but they need quality and someone who has proven he can play the system would be a much better "gamble" than another target.

As a Sunderland season ticket holder I hope he can agree terms, I enjoyed watching him strut his stuff at Sunderland last year, and unlike many before him at Sunderland - I think he put all his heart into it.

Its one of those rare transfer deals when both sides are happy. Hope he does well.

Worth up to £14million,

I'd agree with all of that.

Have we overpaid at a fee of £12m rising to £14m? Yes, but it's not overboard IMO. It's also worth remembering that Liverpool paid £10.5m for him and are not a charity shop. I'm sure they would have been happy to keep him around as a squad player. It's a cracking deal for them too.

Our squad needs a serious injection of quality which he provides, Borini fits Poyet's system perfectly, his workrate is ridiculously good and he and his fiancee appeared to enjoy their time in the north-east. As I'm sure our Newcastle neighbours will attest to, it's not always easy to attract good players to the area. It will also give the fans a statement signing that is much needed and get the whole city buzzing.

As an example, West Brom signed Brown Ideye for £10m. He might be really good, he might completely bomb. Sunderland know exactly what they're getting from Borini. It's worth the extra bit of money for that assurance.

Lets hope he agrees personal terms now!

Paully D wrote: »

Have we overpaid at a fee of £12m rising to £14m? Yes, but it's not overboard IMO. It's also worth remembering that Liverpool paid £10.5m for him and are not a charity shop. I'm sure they would have been happy to keep him around as a squad player. It's a cracking deal for them too.

Our squad needs a serious injection of quality which he provides, Borini fits Poyet's system perfectly, his workrate is ridiculously good and he and his fiancee appeared to enjoy their time in the north-east. As I'm sure our Newcastle neighbours will attest to, it's not always easy to attract good players to the area. It will also give the fans a statement signing that is much needed and get the whole city buzzing.

As an example, West Brom signed Brown Ideye for £10m. He might be really good, he might completely bomb. Sunderland know exactly what they're getting from Borini. It's worth the extra bit of money for that assurance.

The guy obviously wants to just play regularly which is commendable.

He probably had the option of being a squad player for Liverpool but it was clear he enjoyed his time at Sunderland and the fans there took to him.

I think he'll do well for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Italian media reporting that Roma have reached an agreement with Xherdan Shaqiri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Re: Borini

Right from his time as a Chelsea youth product I always rated him highly. His work rate is phenomenal and he's a good finisher.

I think he would have flourished at Chelsea if Carlo stuck around but the managerial merry go round ensued and no one wanted to risk unproven players.

I wish him all the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Telegraph Football ✔ @TeleFootball
    Follow
    Tottenham beat Liverpool to the £10 million signing of Swansea's Ben Davies http://fw.to/6JkD14g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

zerks wrote: »
    Telegraph Football ✔ @TeleFootball
    Follow

Standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Liverpool to sign Remy for 8m apparently. Not bad when they just got 12 for Borini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Liverpool to sign Remy for 8m apparently. Not bad when they just got 12 for Borini.

Great business, Remy is the better player, for sure

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    Great business, Remy is the better player, for sure

Aye, but he'll be on twice if not two and a half times the wage so you have to look beyond just the transfer fee.

Very good piece of business by Liverpool though I do agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Paully D wrote: »

I think he will prove to be a good signing, and am actually a little sorry to see him leaving Liverpool. When he did get games at Liverpool he was often played out of position, and him playing out wide was never going to make the most of our his better qualities.

His movement in and around the box is very good, and if Sunderland get players that can pick up on the runs that Borini makes, then it could be happy days for all involved.

If he gets a full season up front at Sunderland, then I would expect him to provide a decent goal return. Now he is not going to be a 20+ goal man imho, unless Sunderland improve their team as a whole around him to a significant degree, but I can see him being a regular scorer and the Mackem faithful getting a new terrace hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Casemiro joins Porto on loan from Real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Juventus sign Morata for €20million.

Bs6OjsrIQAAco3K.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

it would appear borini has turned down the chance to join sunderland,strange it got that far without him saying he would not go

barone wrote: »
    it would appear borini has turned down the chance to join sunderland,strange it got that far without him saying he would not go

A Sunderland Echo journalist is claiming that it is rubbish that he has turned it down. Given the source who reported it (Di Marzio) is very good friends with sacked ex-Sunderland Director of Football Roberto Di Fanti who happened to be feeding Di Marzio news of all our deals before anyone else last summer, it wouldn't surprise me if Di Fanti is stirring the pot a bit.

As you say, it would be strange for it to get this far. But if any club would bid for a player without assurances that he wanted to sign it would be Sunderland! :pac:

Hopefully Young is correct. Di Marzio may well be correct on this, but his Twitter policy re: transfer news seems be throwing enough darts around and hoping some hit the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Shaqiri has supposedly agreed terms with Roma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Jesus Roma are really building. Potential banana skin for favorite European sides?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Roma building a seriously talented team and have a great manager in Rudi Garcia. Iturbe and Shaqiri are great additions, along with Benatia, Cole, De Rossi, Pjanic, Ljajic and Destro they look very strong

I think they will do very well next season, maybe win the league with Conte gone at Juve

Think United will buy Strootman off them at some stage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

hopefully its bull so,would like to see him succeed in the prem

Advertisement