Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Paully D wrote: »
    I'd agree with all of that.

Have we overpaid at a fee of £12m rising to £14m? Yes, but it's not overboard IMO. It's also worth remembering that Liverpool paid £10.5m for him and are not a charity shop. I'm sure they would have been happy to keep him around as a squad player. It's a cracking deal for them too.

Our squad needs a serious injection of quality which he provides, Borini fits Poyet's system perfectly, his workrate is ridiculously good and he and his fiancee appeared to enjoy their time in the north-east. As I'm sure our Newcastle neighbours will attest to, it's not always easy to attract good players to the area. It will also give the fans a statement signing that is much needed and get the whole city buzzing.

As an example, West Brom signed Brown Ideye for £10m. He might be really good, he might completely bomb. Sunderland know exactly what they're getting from Borini. It's worth the extra bit of money for that assurance.

Lets hope he agrees personal terms now!
    Aye, but he'll be on twice if not two and a half times the wage so you have to look beyond just the transfer fee.

Very good piece of business by Liverpool though I do agree.

I know you really like him and hope he does well for you. His work rate is brilliant and I wouldn't have minded him in our squad as you always know he'll give everything. I'll be happy if we get Remy instead though.

As Kess posted, Borini was a bit unlucky with team selection and injuries with us.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Vorm & Ben Davies to Spurs. Sigurdsson going the other way .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

9cc4f16fda222337943cd9c6372ab29caf4d8e9c344f485708dadeb9be52eeda_large

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

Dempsey wrote: »

Photoshop? Deal's not done is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Drogba set to sign for Chelsea according to L'Equipe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Oh Jesus they don't even need him.

Lopez,
    Contrao, Varane, Ramos, Carvajal,
    Khedira, Modric,
    Kroos,
    Bale, James, Ronaldo.

What a fcking team that would be!

/drools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Blatter wrote: »
    Drogba set to sign for Chelsea according to L'Equipe.

He will add some balance to the team.

Sorry, i just couldn't resist:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Vorm & Ben Davies to Spurs. Sigurdsson going the other way .

What would Spurs need Vorm for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Turtwig wrote: »

Lopez,
    Khedira, Modric,
    Kroos,
    Bale, James, Ronaldo.

/drools

Defence is still very, very suspect and liable to be exposed by the better sides.

It's one thing that frustrates me a bit. Teams spending hundreds of millions on attacking options when they're already extremely well set at the positions, yet not spending top money on defenders, when they are just as important.

Rodriguez is obviously an exceptional player, but at the reported €90m they could have bought a top class CB (I like Varane and Ramos, don't get me wrong) and two top class FB's for that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

JPA wrote: »
    What would Spurs need Vorm for?

Was just thinking that. He'd hardly want to go there to sit on the bench. Could Lloris be off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Was just thinking that. He'd hardly want to go there to sit on the bench. Could Lloris be off?

Llors only signed an extension im sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Turtwig wrote: »

Lopez,
    Khedira, Modric,
    Kroos,
    Bale, James, Ronaldo.

/drools

James Rodriguez as a striker? :confused:

Buying players not actually needed seems to be a trend.

Benzema and DI Maria were more than sufficient. Kroos was an excellent acquisition. James though is totally not necessary.

Isco and Di Maria will likely have to leave now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Defence is still very, very suspect and liable to be exposed by the better sides.

It's one thing that frustrates me a bit. Teams spending hundreds of millions on attacking options when they're already extremely well set at the positions, yet not spending top money on defenders, when they are just as important.

Rodriguez is obviously an exceptional player, but at the reported €90m they could have bought a top class CB (I like Varane and Ramos, don't get me wrong) and two top class FB's for that money.

You don't need defenders when you plan to win every game 5-3.

James Rodriguez as a striker? :confused:

Number 10. Zezu and Ronaldinho. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Llors only signed an extension im sure.

Ya you're right, he did a few weeks ago. Strange move for Vorm, surely he'd still be good enough to be a starting keeper at a mid-table club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Dempsey wrote: »

Those are Toni Kroos' pasty german arms if ever I've seen em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lovren to Liverpool is done,£16 million up front rising to £20 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Khedira to Arsenal is supposedly a done deal now aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Arsenal will have some team

.....Khedira Ramsey.....
    Sanchez Ozil Walcott
    .............Giroud...........

If they got in Cavani or Balotelli to replace Giroud they would be as strong as City and Chelsea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

.....Khedira Ramsey.....
    Sanchez Ozil Walcott

If they got in Cavani or Balotelli to replace Giroud they would be as strong as City and Chelsea

There was more talk today of Balotelli for 15 million.

Think the story may have originated on caught offside which if true not the most reliable source to say the least.

Arsenal also been linked with Carvalho today I'd say it will be one or the other him or Khedira won't sign both.

Arsenal arguably have the best midfield in the premier league. Quality summer acquisitions. Especially if khedira is true. Just need one more defensive midfielder imo.

Then if they could strengthen centre back, but really you could say that about all clubs these days.

Insane money spent by Barca and Madrid.

The bubble in Football transfers could do with bursting in general, but Spain would probably give me the most pleasure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Arsenal have agreed a fee of €4 million for Colombia 'keeper David Ospina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Insane money spent by Barca and Madrid.

The bubble in Football transfers could do with bursting in general, but Spain would probably give me the most pleasure.

Only 2 clubs in Spain spend mad money though, England has 4 or 5 who do the same. The difference a lot of the time is the really top level players go to Real or Barca. They are all mad transfer fees though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

IMO James will flop at Madrid, possibly as bad as Kaka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

.....Khedira Ramsey.....
    Sanchez Ozil Walcott

I think you meant if Arsenal sign either of those players as an addition to complement Giroud's role. Giroud is an Arsenal player and is not being replaced.

Overall, so far, Arsenal's transfer activity this season has being quite impressive. It gives the Club a chance to effectively compete. I would argue that with Ozil, Ramsey, Sanchez and Walcott, Wilshire, and any other additions, the club has the most talented midfield in the EPL.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

KINGVictor wrote: »
    I think you meant if Arsenal sign either of those players as an addition to complement Giroud's role. Giroud is an Arsenal player and is not being replaced.

Overall, so far, Arsenal's transfer activity this season has being quite impressive. It gives the Club a chance to effectively compete. I would argue that with Ozil, Ramsey, Sanchez and Walcott, Wilshire, and any other additions, the club has the most talented midfield in the EPL.

It sounds good on paper, though I'd be absolutely confident that Matic, Fabregas, Hazard, Oscar and Willian has greater balance, variety and quality to it, I would say the same for Yaya Toure, Fernandinho, Silva, Nasri and Aguero (when he drops into the 10) or Navas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

If we added Khedira to our midfield, only City's could compare in the PL. Both would be a good bit stronger than Chelsea's IMO.

• Advertisement

If we added Khedira to our midfield, only City's could compare in the PL. Both would be a good bit stronger than Chelsea's IMO.

I don't agree at all. Matic and Fabregas is a terrific prospect, the Serbian is right up there among the elite holding midfielders in world football and Fabregas is one of the finest midfielders on the planet, in the prime of his career. Eden Hazard is, arguably, the best player in the league, Oscar is a world class number 10 and Willian is an exciting player who offers pace, directness and workrate. It's a fantastically varied and talented midfield which I would have over Arsenal's any day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I don't agree at all. Matic and Fabregas is a terrific prospect, the Serbian is right up there among the elite holding midfielders in world football and Fabregas is one of the finest midfielders on the planet, in the prime of his career. Eden Hazard is, arguably, the best player in the league, Oscar is a world class number 10 and Willian is an exciting player who offers pace, directness and workrate. It's a fantastically varied and talented midfield which I would have over Arsenal's any day of the week.

Player for player I'd have Arsenal's midfield over Chelseas if Arsenal get Khedira. I think you are vastly over rating Matic and Cesc has a lot to prove on his return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Van Ginkel could well have a real breakthrough season too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Matic, Fabregas and Hazard most definitely. However Willian flatters to decieve and strikes me as no more talented than James Milner and Oscar is nowhere close to being a world class number 10.

Would probably be a toss up between the 2 midfields, both offering very different styles.

Throwing Hazard and Willian in there is changing the point

Ozil, Khedira and Ramsey >>> Cesc, Matic and Oscar

Quazzie wrote: »
    Player for player I'd have Arsenal's midfield over Chelseas if Arsenal get Khedira. I think you are vastly over rating Matic and Cesc has a lot to prove on his return.

I think Matic is being vastly underrated, the man is a giant in a literal and figurative sense in the midfield. I haven't a clue what Fabregas has to prove, he's a World Cup winner, a European Championship winner and, during his spell with Arsenal, was arguably the best central midfielder in the league, he's a superb footballer, that's never changed.

• Advertisement

The original poster mentioned Walcott and Sanchez, I responded in kind. As a result it would infact be you who is changing the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

But you see, I stopped pretending your posts weren't utter nonsense a long time ago, so without responding to any of that in particular, I'm just going to accurately state that it's all overblown nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I think Matic is being vastly underrated, the man is a giant in a literal and figurative sense in the midfield. I haven't a clue what Fabregas has to prove, he's a World Cup winner, a European Championship winner and, during his spell with Arsenal, was arguably the best central midfielder in the league, he's a superb footballer, that's never changed.

He hasn't been as good as his Arsenal's spell for quiet some time. Whether that is down to being played out of position or not having the faith of his manager or him dropping a level remains to be seen. He's been off the pace recently and he needs to prove his doubters wrong.

For the record I think he will and I wished Arsenal took the option to have him back, but I'm not arrogant to think that I couldn't be wrong.

Jeez I don't know. Both are fantastic trios. I think it's closer than you are suggesting.

Chelsea perhaps even more balanced

The original poster mentioned Walcott and Sanchez, I responded in kind. As a result it would infact be you who is changing the point.

The second post was the one I quoted and you were quoting someone talking about the midfield.

Also Oscar is by no means a world class number 10, you can spin a tale of how he has vigorously thrilled you with his awesome Brazilian magnificence at some point in a Chelsea shirt but he is still not a world class number 10, especially when compared to the likes of Ozil, and I rate the guy and think at some point he could fulfil his potential.

If you are counting the 5 as a midfield, then it's very close from me, between Chelsea and Arsenal's potential if Khedira is added

• Advertisement

But you see, I stopped pretending your posts weren't utter nonsense a long time ago, so without responding to any of that in particular, I'm just going to accurately state that it's all overblown nonsense.

I would say the same about you but alas I have not got the slightest clue of your post history because I don't care about your previous posts or the opinions expressed in them. However I did take issue with the opinion which you expressed that Arsenal's midfield will be "a good bit better" than Chelsea's, frankly I think it's a bit ridiculous that you are wildly assuming that a midfield of Wilshire (a very strong contender for most overrated player in the Premier League) Ramsey (talented but with only one outstanding season under his belt) Ozil (hugely talented but tailed off dramatically last season), Sanchez (new to the league and inconsistent, to put it one way, at Barcelona) and Walcott (one I would put in the "flatters to deceive" category) will be significantly better than Chelsea's midfield was an opinion which I find to be a bit of "overblown nonsense."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

It's very close I couldn't call it really.

Matic and khedira there's not much between them.

Cesc is better than Ramsey.

And ozil better than Oscar.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Jeez I don't know. Both are fantastic trios. I think it's closer than you are suggesting.

Chelsea perhaps even more balanced

Khedira is far more proven than Matic, Ozil is far more proven than Oscar. Fabregas' career beats Ramsey but over the last year I'd have Ramsey he was the best midfielder in the league until his injury

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Oscar's been pants since about the new year. Was shocking at the world cup, needs to get the finger out this season.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Oscar and Cesc haven't had the best of seasons. Wouldn't really be dancing around to Chelsea's midfield at the minute.

Cesc in particular isn't someone I'd be banking on to perform coming into a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Liverpool to complete deals for lovren, remy and origi according to the times.

That will be 7 signings for liverpool and they will still have the bulk of the suarez money to spend.

I would say the same about you but alas I have not got the slightest clue of your post history because I don't care about your previous posts or the opinions expressed in them. However I did take issue with the opinion which you expressed that Arsenal's midfield will be "a good bit better" than Chelsea's, frankly I think it's a bit ridiculous that you are wildly assuming that a midfield of Wilshire (a very strong contender for most overrated player in the Premier League) Ramsey (talented but with only one outstanding season under his belt) Ozil (hugely talented but tailed off dramatically last season), Sanchez (new to the league and inconsistent, to put it one way, at Barcelona) and Walcott (one I would put in the "flatters to deceive" category) will be significantly better than Chelsea's midfield was an opinion which I find to be a bit of "overblown nonsense."

:pac: you really do talk some amount of shiite.

:pac: you really do talk some amount of shiite.

I forgot the forum small print that says that disagreeing with the opinion that the midfield of a club that has won 1 trophy (the FA Cup) in 8 years is ""a good bit better" (which sounds like quite a significant amount) than one of England's most successful clubs in the last 10 years and whose midfield is absolutely stacked with talent and winners is now considering to be "talking shiite" then I'd love to know what's considered sense these days.

I forgot the forum small print that says that disagreeing with the opinion that the midfield of a club that has won 1 trophy (the FA Cup) in 8 years is ""a good bit better" (which sounds like quite a significant amount) than one of England's most successful clubs in the last 10 years and whose midfield is absolutely stacked with talent and winners is now considering to be "talking shiite" then I'd love to know what's considered sense these days.

YAWN

Also that one trophy you try to belittle is one more than Chelsea won last season ;)

YAWN

Also that one trophy you try to belittle is one more than Chelsea won last season ;)

I like that we can disregard a legitimate argument with 4 simple letters written with cap lock on, engaging stuff.

Jolly good, however you are going to have to excuse me if that one FA Cup final triumph over Hull (yes I did have to Google that) isn't enough to convince me that Wilshire and Ramsey are significantly better than Cesc Fabregas and Nemanja Matic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement