Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Okay ill bite

Since you mentioned Chelseas history in the last ten years (by the way I love the way some Chelsea fans do this yea because we can ignore all previous football history just to sit in line with Chelsea becoming a successful club) is Chelseas midfield the same as it was ten years ago? No so how that is relevant to the discussion is beyond me.

Secondly the fact you had to Google the F.A Cup final says a lot about your knowledge of football instead of it working for you to try a belittle Arsenals trophy it just showed you up as having no clue fair play.

And since you seem to be placing so much emphasis on trophies in this debate what exactly did Matic and Cesc win last season?

FYI since you seem to have a hard on for knocking Wilshere and keep mentioning him you do realise he isn't and won't be part of our starting eleven starting this season, people were talking about Ozil Ramsey who bar an injury would have been a major canditate for player of the season and the possible signing of Khedira no Wilshere in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

As a utd fan....

Even with Khedira, Chelsea's midfield is still far more powerful than Arsenals....

In fact IMO they have the best collection of CM players (yes including City, have a feeling Toure is soon to throw the toys rightly out of the pram) in the league right now, that coupled with (if they can get) Costa firing they will win it next year.

Unless of course Utd go to town big time, as in Vidal & Hummels, that would at least put us in the fight I'm sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

What has 10 years got to do with anything? None of the players in either midfield were playing there regularly 5 years ago never mind 10.

Calling Oscar world class is quite clearly talking out of your hole, subjective opinion or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I forgot the forum small print that says that disagreeing with the opinion that the midfield of a club that has won 1 trophy (the FA Cup) in 8 years is ""a good bit better" (which sounds like quite a significant amount) than one of England's most successful clubs in the last 10 years and whose midfield is absolutely stacked with talent and winners is now considering to be "talking shiite" then I'd love to know what's considered sense these days.

In fairness you say that Sanchez was inconsistent at Barcelona yet Cesc is world class and that didn't change. it does sound like you are talking with some bias there.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

A series of managers haven't trusted Fabregas with a CM role, so I'd be rather surprised if Mourinho does as seems to be the expectation here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Fabregas won't even be a regular starter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd be surpried if Cesc is played CM, although I wouldnt be surprised if its in a 3 man combo of Oscar and Matic.

Hyzepher wrote: »

I'd have Fabregas ahead of Oscar every day of the week.

In fairness I do think there wouldn't be much between the two midfields personally I'd have Arsenals just edging it if we sign Khedira.

But there is debate then there is posting utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

I'd have Fabregas ahead of Oscar every day of the week.

In fairness I do think there wouldn't be much between the two midfields personally I'd have Arsenals just edging it if we sign Khedira.

But there is debate then there is posting utter nonsense.

Chelsea's midfield of Matic, Cesc, Oscar, Hazard and Schurrle against Khedira (might not even sign), Ramsey, Ozil, Carzola and Walcott??

I'd be choosing Chelsea's every time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

slingerz wrote: »
    Chelsea's midfield of Matic, Cesc, Oscar, Hazard and Schurrle against Khedira (might not even sign), Ramsey, Ozil, Carzola and Walcott??

I'd be choosing Chelsea's every time

You've left out Sanchez who will play on Rw till Walcott is back at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

sorry lads ..I was looking for the transfer gossip page...can someone direct me to it..seems I wandered into the wrong place

The player that brings both midfields closer is Sanchez. Even without Khedira the signing of Sanchez is the big one for Arsenal that will push them on a bit.

a support 3 of Ozil, Walcott and Sanchez is pretty impressive.

Hyzepher wrote: »

In this day and age with the amount of competitions I do believe the squad is now more important than ever... No such thing as a regular these days when your one of those 'behind the striker' attackers, there are just so many of them floating about and they are an easy target to rotate, not like the back 4...

That being said, let's say we are picking Chelsea's best 11 as of right now... You honestly can't say Cesc would not be in it???

Surely it would be:
    Courtois
    Cesar - Ivanovic - Cahill - Luis
    Matic - Ramirez/Obi/New player???
    Hazard - Cesc - Oscar
    Costa

That team combined with the squad/bench talent is pretty frightening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post:

Folks, there are team superthreads for discussions about team line ups/formations etc.

Lets try to keep this thread for chat about confirmed/rumoured transfers.

Have no objection to chat about the player being transferred, and the pros/cons of the transfer, but team chat will have to be taken to the superthreads.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looks like Khedira won't be coming now as David Ornstein tweeted this:
    David Ornstein @bbcsport_david · 9m
    Arsenal no longer pursuing Khedira but still in market for DMF, will sign GK & probably DF depending on Jenkinson/Vermaelen situations #AFC

He gets his info direct from the club as far as I know.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »

He does and he is pretty reliable for Arsenal news majority of the time but sometimes the club also use him to throw people of the scent.

We're also being linked with Bender, Schneirdlin, Bender and Carvalho.

Any if the above will do once we fill that hole I'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'd say it's over the wages, I think he will lower his demands eventually because any clubs that will offer more are already well stocked in midfield.

He could also sit on the bench at Madrid and run down his contract I suppose

I'd say it's over the wages, I think he will lower his demands eventually because any clubs that will offer more are already well stocked in midfield.

He could also sit on the bench at Madrid and run down his contract I suppose

Hes only got a year left doesnt he? Sign a pre contract deal in January for a huge signing fee could be an option.

TBF he can still offer Real something in CM and theyed probably get more value by selling Isco or Modric given the time left on their contracts.

Khedira seems like the expendable one but with a year left on his deal and big wages something will have to give if they want to shift him.

Didn't realise he only had a year left

In fairness Arsenal aren't going to break their wage structure for a player like Khedira, 120k-130k a week and a chance to play for a very good club should be good enough, if not I'm sure Wenger will tell him where to go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Could all be a ploy or a smokescreen from the club.......... crossesfingers

• Advertisement

Think Remy has potential to be bargain of the window if he goes for that price but I think Liverpool will struggle if they don't bring in a high quality big name player with a chunk of the Suarez money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I wonder could it be arsenal saying let's wait a year grab him for free and spend the cash on a striker .

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I wonder could it be arsenal saying let's wait a year grab him for free and spend the cash on a striker .

I doubt we'll be signing a striker tbh. Wenger pretty much said there won't be any more players signed in attacking positions.

If the Khedira deal really is off then attention will be turned to he likes of Carvalho, Schneiderlin and Bender with Schneiderlin being the most likely I reckon.

DM, GK and possibly CB will be the rest of Arsenal's business this year I think with only big money being spent on the DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I doubt we'll be signing a striker tbh. Wenger pretty much said there won't be any more players signed in attacking positions.

If the Khedira deal really is off then attention will be turned to he likes of Carvalho, Schneiderlin and Bender with Schneiderlin being the most likely I reckon.

DM, GK and possibly CB will be the rest of Arsenal's business this year I think with only big money being spent on the DM.

Yet if I was arsenal manager I would be thinking to myself I need another striker . I'm sure a lot of arsenal fans would be thinking that aswell .
    Would you be happy to go into the new season with giroud as your main striker ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Would you be happy to go into the new season with giroud as your main striker ?

Most definitely. With the right service he is very effective. His flaws only showed up when he had to try make goals himself.

Evra has signed for Juventus apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Confirmed by United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

good to see united get rid of the David Moyes bully boys such as himself and Rio. no way could Van Gal put up with their egos. But in all fairness they are well past it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

ricero wrote: »
    good to see united get rid of the David Moyes bully boys such as himself and Rio. no way could Van Gal put up with their egos. But in all fairness they are well past it
    Does not compute. It makes Van Gaal's job easier but he couldve handled them easily.

Surprised Juventus signed Evra. He was clearly past it for Utd and Juve are a level above Utd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Surprised Juventus signed Evra. He was clearly past it for Utd and Juve are a level above Utd.

Italian league would be a major step down though. Could probably still look half decent in that league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Just shown on SSN James Rodríguez arriving at the hospital where Real Madrid do their medicals.

Just shown on SSN James Rodríguez arriving at the hospital where Real Madrid do their medicals.

Still struggling to think where he is going to fit in???? Who's getting dropped to accommodate him?

Seems like another want rather than need signing from Madrid

Still struggling to think where he is going to fit in???? Who's getting dropped to accommodate him?

Seems like another want rather than need signing from Madrid

Someone will surely leave now,reports on Di Maria leaving seemed to have died down a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Andre Wisdom on loan at WBA.

BtIupGkCAAEBA_c.jpg

Bebe confirms he's joining Benfica.

Frank Lampard not as welcome in New York as he thought he'd be according to Mark Ogden.It goes back to the time himself,Terry and Cole mocked Americans stranded at an airport post 9/11.

Vorm to Spurs is an interesting one

Is Lloris leaving or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Vorm to Spurs is an interesting one

Is Lloris leaving or what?

No he just signed a new deal.

Probably had a clause in it that allows him to leave of they don't get Champions League.

So potentially getting his replacement in early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

zerks wrote: »
    Andre Wisdom on loan at WBA.

BtIupGkCAAEBA_c.jpg

Bebe confirms he's joining Benfica.

Frank Lampard not as welcome in New York as he thought he'd be according to Mark Ogden.It goes back to the time himself,Terry and Cole mocked Americans stranded at an airport post 9/11.

Don't know where you are getting Cole from he was with Arsenal in 2001. He's not always the bad guy :pac:

Gudjohnson and Morris were the other 2 players and it wasn't an airport it was a hotel that were staying near the airport and they were kicked out for drunk and disorderly.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    Don't know where you are getting Cole from he was with Arsenal in 2001. He's not always the bad guy :pac:

Gudjohnson and Morris were the other 2 players and it wasn't an airport it was a hotel that were staying near the airport and they were locked out for drunk and disorderly.

Cheers for clearing it up,still the Americans didn't forget or forgive.

Anyhow back on topic.

@SkySportsAmy
    Follow
    Sources: Sigurdsson having medical now at Swansea. £10m move. Should sign tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Champions League ‏@ChampionsLeague 20s
    Real Madrid have confirmed the purchase of Colombia playmaker James Rodríguez (@jamesdrodriguez) on a six-year deal.

Done deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Cheers for clearing it up,still the Americans didn't forget or forgive.

Anyhow back on topic.

@SkySportsAmy
    Follow

Jaysus, back at Swansea again. He probably should have went to Liverpool when he had the chance, better career move.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Reported to be £63 million. They must absolutely love paying a premium.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/22/james-rodriguez-signs-real-madrid-monaco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/22/james-rodriguez-signs-real-madrid-monaco

£63m mother of lord!

Making Suarez at £75m look the bargain of the season.

@barcastuff
    Follow
    Barcelona forward Bojan Krkic (23) has decided to accept the offer of Stoke City. He will travel to England in the next hours. [md]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Poor fella. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I distinctly remember people making the, But can he do it on a cold, windy Tuesday night at the Britannia joke for Bojan back when he was being touted as a future star due to his underage record.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think they just love making a "Statement" signing, regardless of how good a player is; I nearly wonder if they're eager to add a few million onto reported fees just to look like they are super-powerful (as if buying one of the player of the tournaments wasn't enough post World Cup).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

El Classico won't know what hit it next season. Mother of God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

MagicIRL wrote: »
    El Classico won't know what hit it next season. Mother of God.

I think many people will view the Suarez vs Pepe battle as they would a fight between their mother in-law and their boss

• Advertisement
Advertisement