Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

I don't think Hummels would have really suited Barca, they play a high line and he's somewhat vulnerable on the turn. Mathieu is a good signing, but they overpaid by about 5 million I'd say.

Suarez can play anywhere across the front 3 or as part of a two man strike partnership. He's pretty good at everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

I don't think Hummels would have really suited Barca, they play a high line and he's somewhat vulnerable on the turn. Mathieu is a good signing, but they overpaid by about 5 million I'd say.

Suarez can play anywhere across the front 3 or as part of a two man strike partnership. He's pretty good at everything.

He's pretty good at everything??? Did you miss something called the world cup? No good being good at the game if you don't have the temperament....

What good will he be to Barca if he goes off the rails again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

He's pretty good at everything??? Did you miss something called the world cup? No good being good at the game if you don't have the temperament....

Support Man United I take it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

CSF wrote: »
    Support Man United I take it?

While I suffer from the same affliction, suarez is yet to have a season since his Liverpool move where he didn't get himself banned for a long stretch for idiotic behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Liam O wrote: »
    While I suffer from the same affliction, suarez is yet to have a season since his Liverpool move where he didn't get himself banned for a long stretch for idiotic behaviour.

it goes back before his move to Liverpool in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

His being mentally unstable and a potential liability due to his behaviour is, to my mind, unquestionable but... as a footballer, yeah... he's pretty good at everything. As an attacking player he has pretty much every quality you could hope for, his temperament is actually a bit of a plus most of the time . It's good to have players on your team that would do anything to win. He'll be a brilliant player for Barca, no doubt in my mind.

He does need psychological help though, a lot of it, preferably before every game... the impulse control stuff seemed to sort him out a bit with Liverpool last season, there seemed to be less of his bad behaviour. I don't know what Uruguay's set up was like in relation to trying to mentally prepare him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Dempsey wrote: »
    He's converted to centre back because he's lost whatever little pace he had over that achilles injury & his age. Giving out a 4 years contract with a year option in the face of that does not add up very well for Barcelona.

Mathieu hasn't lost his pace, or he certainly hadn't by the end of last season. And he's a better centre back now than a left back; he was prone to making errors by attacking too much at left back (he does still tend to make the odd slightly ill-advised burst forward from centre-back though; probably why Barca liked the look of him!).

I think Barca have definitely overpaid for him however. Great deal for Valencia for a 30 year old who came on a free transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Suarez is a great signing for Barca cutting the reliance on Messi and bringing something different to the table will be signing of the season.They have enough pace demons as it is.Look at last season 31 goals in the league before you bring up he didn't score against a "top4" team he pretty much scored against every top 7-8 team in 2012-13.

Officer999 wrote: »
    Huh? Why do Barca need a marquee signing, especially a number 9? They already had Messi and Neymar...

They were crying our for a world class central defender, ala Hummels, yet they blew all there money on an unnecessary striker up front, and hence barely had enough change left over to buy an ageing defender who couldn't get in the French World Cup side

Barca have got a very good defender in Jeremy Mathieu he can play LB and CB he knows the league and can probably go on till 35-36 the didn't really overpay too much they needed a CB since Puyol is done and they a transfer ban coming and Valencia know this,not many defenders around that would fit in or better them that are available within reason,Hummels is very good but goes forward too much and Barca don't need that.

Just because someone is picked for the national team doesn't mean they are good (it's all about the coaches philosophy and what he envisages) as his his team,Look at Janmaat and Blind I bet a large majority never seen them play before but they did well Willems and Van Der Wiel would be never be able to play that system.

Scolari left out Coutinho,Filipe Luis,Miranda,Leandro Castan, and some lesser know players like Lima and Firiminho and we all know what happened against NL and GER.

As for his exclusion it's simple AGE Varane,Sakho,Mangala,Digne will last for years for France,Jeremy probably only 2 tournaments.Don't forget he wasn't as good in his early days when you had Gallas,Silvestre,Thuram,Sagnol etc,

Don't criticise decisions unless you actually watch players I wonder how many people rated Ron Vlaar and Rodriguez before the WC.

Suarez is a great signing for Barca cutting the reliance on Messi and bringing something different to the table will be signing of the season.They have enough pace demons as it is.Look at last season 31 goals in the league before you bring up he didn't score against a "top4" team he pretty much scored against every top 7-8 team in 2012-2013.

But I never stated he wasn't a great signing?? The statement was that he has 'everything' when clearly his temperament is in question...

Weather or not he is or turns out to be a great signing for Barca is neither here nor there as that is not what was being discussed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Is this still the transfer thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Is this still the transfer thread?

Report the posts and leave the mods deal with it.

Everyone else, try stay on topic, arguing the merits of a player or transfer, page after page belongs in the clubs respected thread.

Arsenal youngster Thomas Eisfeld has gone to Fulham...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Officer999

Suarez is a great signing for Barca cutting the reliance on Messi and bringing something different to the table will be signing of the season.They have enough pace demons as it is.Look at last season 31 goals in the league before you bring up he didn't score against a "top4" team he pretty much scored against every top 7-8 team in 2012-13.

Barca have got a very good defender in Jeremy Mathieu he can play LB and CB he knows the league and can probably go on till 35-36 the didn't really overpay too much they needed a CB since Puyol is done and they a transfer ban coming and Valencia know this,not many defenders around that would fit in or better them that are available within reason,Hummels is very good but goes forward too much and Barca don't need that.

Just because someone is picked for the national team doesn't mean they are good (it's all about the coaches philosophy and what he envisages) as his his team,Look at Janmaat and Blind I bet a large majority never seen them play before but they did well Willems and Van Der Wiel would be never be able to play that system.

Scolari left out Coutinho,Filipe Luis,Miranda,Leandro Castan, and some lesser know players like Lima and Firiminho and we all know what happened against NL and GER.

As for his exclusion it's simple AGE Varane,Sakho,Mangala,Digne will last for years for France,Jeremy probably only 2 tournaments.Don't forget he wasn't as good in his early days when you had Gallas,Silvestre,Thuram,Sagnol etc,

Don't criticise decisions unless you actually watch players I wonder how many people rated Ron Vlaar and Rodriguez before the WC.

What a load of waffle...
    You say Mathieu is a good signing for Barca because of his experience and how well he knows the league, yet you say the reason he didn't get in the French squad was beause of Age :confused:

You say don't criticise decisions until you actually watch players....am well that's why I am, I've seen him play, and it's a real head scratching transfer for Barca at this stage of his career and at that price.
    Anyway I can't imagine a central paternership of Pique-Mathieu is going to worry Ronaldo, Bale, James, Benzema too much..
    Maybe they should buy Vlaar next seem you rate him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Patrick van Aanholt signs for Sunderland from Chelsea. 4 year deal and an undisclosed fee (rumoured to be between £1.5m-£2.5m).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Paully D wrote: »
    Patrick van Aanholt signs for Sunderland from Chelsea. 4 year deal and an undisclosed fee (rumoured to be between £1.5m-£2.5m).

Do you think that means the Alonso deal won't happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Juve sign Pereyra on loan for the season from Udinese for 1.5mill apparently.

Juve sign Pereyra on loan for the season from Udinese for 1.5mill apparently.

I fully expect Juve will take up the option to buy after the loan...

Think it's around the 16mil mark?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Calum Chambers is off to Arsenal for more than 10m it would seem

so thats Pochettino, Chambers, Lallana, Lovern (probably), Lambert and Shaw all gone so far... who's next? Schneiderlin has been linked away, wouldnt be shocked to see some sniff around Gastón Ramírez and Dani Osvaldo has seemed to be half out the door since he arrived

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

so thats Pochettino, Chambers, Lallana, Lovern (probably), Lambert and Shaw all gone so far... who's next? Schneiderlin has been linked away, wouldnt be shocked to see some sniff around Gastón Ramírez and Dani Osvaldo has seemed to be half out the door since he arrived
    Mirror reporting that the Saints have rejected a £3.25m bid for Jose Fonte from Cardiff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I fully expect Juve will take up the option to buy after the loan...

Think it's around the 16mil mark?

I think so too, from what iv seen of him he should do well there. Heard its closer to 10mill though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

£16m for Chambers apparently :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Big news to be confirmed. RT @PhilipHarmeling: Good news for VfL Wolfsburg! Romelu Lukaku is really near to join VfL for a 25mio € transfer.

Good bit of business for Wolfsburg.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Kinda surprised by that, No disrespect to Wolfsburg but I think Lukaku had huge potential and could get to a bigger club than them. I personally would consider them on a similar level as Everton for example and he tore it up there. Perhaps Jose wont sell within England but even still I would have expected Athletico or someone to show an interest perhaps. Suppose if he does well in Wolfsburg though he could move anywhere in a few years when he should be coming into his prime as he is still relatively young

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Yeah, feel like Lukaku could have gone to a bigger team. Maybe Chelsea didnt want to pass him on to one? Regardless could see him back at a bigger team pretty quickly, and in the mean time, will be tracking him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

He'll probably be on €150k+ per week and has a better chance of playing in the CL with Wolfsburg than he does at Everton. Thought one of the top Italian or Spanish teams would snap him up though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

@English_AS
    Follow
    Griezmann's switch to @Atleti expected to be announced on Monday. 30M straight cash deal, no other players involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Cristian Rodriguez, ex-PSG, Porto and Atletico Madrid looks set to sign for Sunderland as a free agent per local press on Twitter.
    zerks wrote: »
    Good bit of business for Wolfsburg.

Indeed, but why Chelsea seem completely averse to giving him a chance, I'll never know.

Opta tweeted out that he has 32 goals in 76 Premier League appearances which works out at a goal just over every 2 games, and Football 365 had an article up earlier which cited that only Van Persie has scored more Premier League goals than him over the last two seasons. He's only turned 21 a couple of months ago!

I wonder if something has gone on behind the scenes at Chelsea, because it would seem idiotic for them to put all their eggs in the Diego Costa basket and let a kid who has proven he can do it in the Premier League go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Just to be clear its only one/two sources claiming Lukkau is going.

I'd highly doubt we'll sell to Wolfsburg and at the price.

As it stands hes our 2nd choice CF but its down to him if he wants to stay and fight, last year he threw a wobbler and handed in a transfer request after the Super Cup final, if he does something similar this year he'll be sold as he only has 2 years left on his deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Must be pretty disheartening when your manager who has a proven track record of not playing young players goes out and signs Eto'o and Drogba who are both far inferior at this point in their careers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Just to be clear its only one/two sources claiming Lukkau is going.

I'd highly doubt we'll sell to Wolfsburg and at the price.

As it stands hes our 2nd choice CF but its down to him if he wants to stay and fight, last year he threw a wobbler and handed in a transfer request after the Super Cup final, if he does something similar this year he'll be sold as he only has 2 years left on his deal.

Would you not see the arrival of Drogba as a sign that Lukaku is leaving?

Drogba gives Mourinho the back-up option he wants short-term and gives him the season to do a proper scouting operation for a back-up/second striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

AdamD wrote: »
    Must be pretty disheartening when your manager who has a proven track record of not playing young players goes out and signs Eto'o and Drogba who are both far inferior at this point in their careers.

He should have the self belief to prove himself the better option

Dempsey wrote: »
    He should have the self belief to prove himself the better option

He has proven it during his loan spells. Its just ignorance to consider him anything but a better option than Drogba this season or Ba/Torres/Eto'o last.

He has proven it during his loan spells. Its just ignorance to consider him anything but a better option than Drogba this season or Ba/Torres/Eto'o last.

Ba ran riot for West Ham & Newcastle but dried up at Chelsea because the demands are greater. A penalty miss made Lukaku go back to within his comfort zone rather than fight for his place and prove that he is the best option at Chelsea. Some players dont handle well other players pushing them hard for a place, Lukaku seems to be one of those players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Or José has no idea how to utilise strikers and build confidence in them. They either come in working order or they don't work at all.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Or José has no idea how to utilise strikers and build confidence in them. They either come in working order or they don't work at all.

Ah yes, his famed man management skills falls flat on its face when it comes to strikers...

Remember that it was Lukaku that forced his loan move to Everton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I watched him closely last season. He looked average a lot for Everton, his first touch can be pretty awful at times.

He asked to go after missing a penalty in the Super Cup. It was evident from the outset, when he signed as an 18 year old, he expected to play every game when that didn't happen he demanded a loan.

He has got a serious attitude problem, he appears to expect everything to be handed to him without earning it. If he was willing to stay and play as 2nd choice striker this season, he'd easily get 25 games to prove himself. But the only noise from him has been negative.

Right now I don't think he'd start for any team with Champions League aspirations, look at his performances for Belgium in the World Cup, I don't think he can hack it yet when the pressure is on. I think he prefers to be a big fish in a little pond to be perfectly honest.

That said, I hope José puts an arm around him and he is kept, he'd be the best back-up option ideally with Torres sold. But if he's not willing to fight for you, what good is he?

Lukker- wrote: »
    I watched him closely last season. He looked average a lot for Everton, his first touch can be pretty awful at times.

He asked to go after missing a penalty in the Super Cup. It was evident from the outset, when he signed as an 18 year old, he expected to play every game when that didn't happen he demanded a loan.

He has got a serious attitude problem, he appears to expect everything to be handed to him without earning it. If he was willing to stay and play as 2nd choice striker this season, he'd easily get 25 games to prove himself. But the only noise from him has been negative.

Right now I don't think he'd start for any team with Champions League aspirations, look at his performances for Belgium in the World Cup, I don't think he can hack it yet when the pressure is on. I think he prefers to be a big fish in a little pond to be perfectly honest.

That said, I hope José puts an arm around him and he is kept, he'd be the best back-up option ideally with Torres sold. But if he's not willing to fight for you, what good is he?
    This is just typical Mourinho bull****. Have you ever seen an interview with Lukaku? Hes quite clearly a young lad with his head screwed on determined to make the most of his potential. He started last season as the 4th choice behind 3 average strikers and left to get proper game time. His 'attitude problems' is just Mourinho propaganda. Hes been mishandled by the management at a club with a dreadful track record at bringing through young talent. His goal record is outstanding for a 21 year old and if Chelsea lose him they'll seriously regret it in a couple of years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

This is just typical Mourinho bull****. Have you ever seen an interview with Lukaku? Hes quite clearly a young lad with his head screwed on determined to make the most of his potential. He started last season as the 4th choice behind 3 average strikers and left to get proper game time. His 'attitude problems' is just Mourinho propaganda. Hes been mishandled by the management at a club with a dreadful track record at bringing through young talent. His goal record is outstanding for a 21 year old and if Chelsea lose him they'll seriously regret it in a couple of years time.

He did himself no favours at the World Cup, definitely and attitude problem there

Mourinho has no time for potential anyway, if Lukaku becomes good Mourinho will still be able to buy a player just as good.

What has he proven during loan spells? He has never performed to the level you'd expect from the striker at a title contender. Never.

What has he proven during loan spells? He has never performed to the level you'd expect from the striker at a title contender. Never.

17 in 35 (Lots of sub appearances) for West Brom.
    15 in 31 for Everton.

Hes 21 years old. More than proven his worth to be Chelsea's second choice.

Drogba's first 2 seasons at Chelsea (aged 26):
    10 in 26
    12 in 29

Actually baffling how people aren't impressed by Lukaku, the guy is only going to get better and better. His numbers also compare favourably to Rooney at that age who played a big role for a title winning team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Paully D wrote: »
    Cristian Rodriguez, ex-PSG, Porto and Atletico Madrid looks set to sign for Sunderland as a free agent per local press on Twitter.

Indeed, but why Chelsea seem completely averse to giving him a chance, I'll never know.

Opta tweeted out that he has 32 goals in 76 Premier League appearances which works out at a goal just over every 2 games, and Football 365 had an article up earlier which cited that only Van Persie has scored more Premier League goals than him over the last two seasons. He's only turned 21 a couple of months ago!

I wonder if something has gone on behind the scenes at Chelsea, because it would seem idiotic for them to put all their eggs in the Diego Costa basket and let a kid who has proven he can do it in the Premier League go.

Add Suarez and Sturridge to that list also Paully.

17 in 35 (Lots of sub appearances) for West Brom.
    15 in 31 for Everton.

Hes 21 years old. More than proven his worth to be Chelsea's second choice.

Drogba's first 2 seasons at Chelsea (aged 26):
    10 in 26
    12 in 29

Actually baffling how people aren't impressed by Lukaku, the guy is only going to get better and better. His numbers also compare favourably to Rooney at that age who played a big role for a title winning team.
    Less than a goal a game for a player who isn't particularly creative or with very good linkup play isn't impressive enough to be making the Chelsea team, and he doesn't seem happy to come in and be backup to Costa.

Comparing Lukaku to Drogba who had attributes in his game that Lukaku will never have is silly. Quoting stats alone when the stats aren't even that impressive is sillier.

The chap's all round game just isn't of the level that you need to be the striker for a title winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Less than a goal a game for a player who isn't particularly creative or with very good linkup play isn't impressive enough to be making the Chelsea team, and he doesn't seem happy to come in and be backup to Costa.

Comparing Lukaku to Drogba who had attributes in his game that Lukaku will never have is silly. Quoting stats alone when the stats aren't even that impressive is sillier.

The chap's all round game just isn't of the level that you need to be the striker for a title winner.

Who the **** scores a goal a game?

His stats are very impressive for his age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Suarez.

Sorry I meant to say every 2nd game.

His stats are very impressive for his age.
    His all round performances less so. Very little to indicate that he can come in and take the reigns for Chelsea up front, and he has seemed unwilling to play 2nd fiddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

His movement for Everton was impressive for most of the season.

I really hope he gets another season there to develop. If he moves to the wrong place it could seriously hamper him.

Turtwig wrote: »
    His movement for Everton was impressive for most of the season.

I really hope he gets another season there to develop. If he moves to the wrong place it could seriously hamper him.
    I honestly think his movement is terrible. Lacks a football brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Dont get the Lukaku hype either tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement