Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread - Summer 2014 - Mod note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd love Shaw but right now we need a CF not a LB. Get the Cf issue sorted and then if Shaw is available, make a move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'd love Shaw but right now we need a CF not a LB. Get the Cf issue sorted and then if Shaw is available, make a move.

Shaw would be a good fit for Chelsea and he'd obviously probably prefer to play for Chelsea since he's a fan but I don't think Mourinho would be too keen on watching Shaw and Hazard on the same side. Azpilicueta has done a great job there but he'll eventually end up at right back.

I can see Chelsea being in the market for a left back but I don't think Shaw would be a good fit for Mourinho's system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Shaw and his family are Chelsea fans but id be surprised if we were in for hi
    at that price. if we are, we'll be selling 4/5 players to balance the books.

Given the 47 players for the attacking midfield spots that ye have that wouldnt be terribly unlikely

slingerz wrote: »
    Given the 47 players for the attacking midfield spots that ye have that wouldnt be terribly unlikely

Its all about stock piling the talent.

Especially if we keep making a profit on them. :pac:

In fairness the most likely to leave from the AM group is Marin, Moses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

No left back is worth 30 million especially one that's as unexperience as Shaw - crazy talk

Oranage2 wrote: »
    No left back is worth 30 million especially one that's as unexperience as Shaw - crazy talk

Supply and demand on highly talented young English players will push up their already inflated prices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

30 million spread out over the 15 years he could hold down that position is nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Supply and demand on highly talented young English players will push up their already inflated prices.

I'd say 22 million would be the highest anyone goes and that's already an inflated price, I reckon we'll see him sold under the 20 million Mark.

Chelsea, city united and pool all need an lb but I think the media has really hyped him up, too expensive and not battle tested enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

It puts Shaw in the same bracket as Dani Alves and Fabio Coentrao in terms of transfer fee for a full back. Hard to argue against Dani Alves, but while Coentrao has been great for Real, it was a bit of a gamble when they signed him. If Shaw goes to a top 4 team he might just turn out to be just as good in fairness. It's not that shocking if you get a first choice full back for years to come. Hindsight would say if it was Ashley Cole at the same age it would be well worth it. That being said he could turn out to be another Wayne Bridge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

still its ridiculous money for an 18 just going on 19 year old

I'd say 22 million would be the highest anyone goes and that's already an inflated price, I reckon we'll see him sold under the 20 million Mark.

Chelsea, city united and pool all need an lb but I think the media has really hyped him up, too expensive and not battle tested enough.

There will be no way City make a bid for him, especially not at that price. Their main target is a CB. They won't be throwing that kind of money at a player to sit in a line with Clichy and Kolarov. Chelsea, Utd & Liverpool could do with that position far more than City, but can only see Utd willing to spend that kind of money of the three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭G1032

Shaw and his family are Chelsea fans but id be surprised if we were in for hi
    at that price. if we are, we'll be selling 4/5 players to balance the books.

Why would they be selling 4 or 5 players? Chelsea have a huge turnover. They have the 5th highest revenue of all clubs in world football. They are easily within any FFP limits.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

nobody is worth that money but unfortunately that is the way things have gone, and if you want to compete then you have to pay the premium prices.

for me Shaw is an exceptional talent and the fee (spread out over the years) aint all the bad when you consider you could spend that amount on two or three left backs over the same term.

I even think Shaw has the potential to be coached/played higher up the pitch.

he is only 18 and looks to have a very high ceiling.
    would love him at LFC.

G1032 wrote: »
    Why would they be selling 4 or 5 players? Chelsea have a huge turnover. They have the 5th highest revenue of all clubs in world football. They are easily within any FFP limits.

Its always good to try and keep the books in check and I'd expect about 4 or 5 to leave anyway this year for transfer fees, thats not to include the guys that are out of contract like Eto'o, Hilario, Schwarzer, Lamps, Cole, JT, who may go aswell.

I'd expect Bertrand, Luiz, Mikel, Ba, Marin, Moses & Lukaku to be sold.

Maybe some of the younger guys like Josh MacEchran, Oriol Romeu, Gael Kakuta.

It would be very easy for us to sell 4/5 players and not really be effected, if we sold the higher profile guys like Luiz, Mikel, Ba, Lukaku we'd probably be able to cover Shaw and costa with some change left over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

This. Not to mention at 18 he will still have good resale value in the event it doesn't work out.

• Advertisement

• Oranage2 wrote: »

58 Appearances in 2 seasons. not bad for an 'inexperienced' 18 year old with serious potential.

English to English is always going to be inflated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

If that Costa deal goes through it will be great for Chelsea and Spain imo! Both club and country could benefit greatly with Costa and Torres playing together on a regular basis. Both have been selected in Spain's provisional 30 man World Cup squad.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27394287

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

DenMan wrote: »
    If that Costa deal goes through it will be great for Chelsea and Spain imo! Both club and country could benefit greatly with Costa and Torres playing together on a regular basis. Both have been selected in Spain's provisional 30 man World Cup squad.

Sarcasm? :confused:
    Torres is not good at football any more, if Costa signs he'll probably never play for Chelsea again, never mind together. Neither side used a 2 striker system either.

AdamD wrote: »
    Sarcasm? :confused:
    Torres is not good at football any more, if Costa signs he'll probably never play for Chelsea again, never mind together. Neither side used a 2 striker system either.

Had to laugh at the way you put it, proper burn!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

DenMan wrote: »

I'm a bit surprised that they accepted 32. They could have surely got a bigger fee, especially from Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'm a bit surprised that they accepted 32. They could have surely got a bigger fee, especially from Chelsea.

Almost certainly his release fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anybody for Thorgan Hazard? Form a queue!

Google news front page links Edens younger brother with -

Liverpool
    Crystal Palace
    Schalke 04
    Everton
    Dortmund

mike65 wrote: »
    Anybody for Thorgan Hazard? Form a queue!

Google news front page links Edens younger brother with -

Liverpool
    Crystal Palace
    Schalke 04
    Everton
    Dortmund

A loan to Everton at Palace would be my choice for him.

I see Liverpool are being linked with William Carvalho. They all seem to be rubbish sources but do Liverpool have the €45 million to spend on one player?

Anyway seems as if he's likely to end up at Monaco. Jadrim, Sporting's coach this season, has already held talks to get the transfer done before the World Cup.

Would be a cracking signing for any team.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Oat23 wrote: »
    Can we ban the Daily Mail from this thread?

Nah, I won't know who to shun in future then :pac:

It should be mandatory to throw up a source for said rumour. Make it happen Gav! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Emre Can to Liverpool for €12 million, Bild.

zerks wrote: »

Beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Officer999

Sagna to City seems to be gathering pace.

Fantastic signing on a free for anyone imo, but hard to see him being first choice at City with the season Zabaleta just had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Leverkusen are robbing you blind at €12m.

Emre Can is overrated. He has absolutely no skill and his physicality isn't enough in the big leagues. Maybe it was when he was playing in the regionalliga.

€12m is the same amount they say Calhanoglu will go for.

I don't even..

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Leverkusen are robbing you blind at €12m.

Emre Can is overrated. He has absolutely no skill and his physicality isn't enough in the big leagues. Maybe it was when he was playing in the regionalliga.

€12m is the same amount they say Calhanoglu will go for.

I don't even..

I want Geis at Mainz, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Can't see that happen, as Bayern has a "Rebuy-option" on the player for another year.

DubDani wrote: »
    Can't see that happen, as Bayern has a "Rebuy-option" on the player for another year.

Bayern aren't going to want him back

DubDani wrote: »

Not going to cause any problems at €12m.

Not going to cause any problems at €12m.

How much is he worth as a matter of interest?

glued wrote: »
    Bayern aren't going to want him back

But it would mean that Leverkusen would have to come to an arrangement with Bayern before agreeing any deal, which would mean a cut for Bayern. Other option would be for Bayern to use the option to then sell the player on themselves.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    How much is he worth as a matter of interest?

5 - 6 at max, IMO. Good Talent, but comes with a lot of baggage, and is inconsistent as hell from what I have seen of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Just thinking about how many players last years top4 and utd need to make the complete starting eleven.
    City- only weaknesses I see are a CB to play alongside kompany and maybe a LB. No surprise they won the league most complete squad last year IMO.
    Liverpool- Two full backs, a CB a versatile midfielder and possibly an attacking midfielder
    Chelsea- A full back, a midfielder to play alongside Matic and a striker.
    Arsenal- (Assuming sagnas gone) two full backs, a midfielder to play alongside ramsey and a striker.
    Utd- 3 defenders( 2 FBs and a CB dont rate rafael although lots of utd fans seem to), 2 midfielders and an attacking player with a bit of pace.
    It seems to me that all these teams are going to be after a lot of the same players with full back and central midfielder being the main issue that needs sorting for most of the teams. Utd, Pool and City seem sorted for strikers assuming suarez stays. GK and attacking midfielders not a major issue either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Just thinking about how many players last years top4 and utd need to make the complete starting eleven.
    City- only weaknesses I see are a CB to play alongside kompany and maybe a LB. No surprise they won the league most complete squad last year IMO.
    Liverpool- Two full backs, a CB a versatile midfielder and possibly an attacking midfielder
    Chelsea- A full back, a midfielder to play alongside Matic and a striker.
    Arsenal- (Assuming sagnas gone) two full backs, a midfielder to play alongside ramsey and a striker.
    Utd- 3 defenders( 2 FBs and a CB dont rate rafael although lots of utd fans seem to), 2 midfielders and an attacking player with a bit of pace.
    It seems to me that all these teams are going to be after a lot of the same players with full back and central midfielder being the main issue that needs sorting for most of the teams. Utd, Pool and City seem sorted for strikers assuming suarez stays. GK and attacking midfielders not a major issue either.

Nope. Not even close. Prone to injuries, howlers and getting sent off in big games a la the Bayern match a couple of years back and the Chelsea game last year.

ter-Stegen has officially joined Barca.

• Advertisement

Micah Richards in a thinly veiled "I'd like to join Arsenal" tweet after the cup final.He was very fulsome in his praise for them.

Liverpool tabled 22m offer for Alexis Sanchez according to eurosport, also strongly linked with Juve though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Micah Richards in a thinly veiled "I'd like to join Arsenal" tweet after the cup final.He was very fulsome in his praise for them.

Wouldn't be a bad Sagna replacement.

mike65 wrote: »
    Liverpool tabled 22m offer for Alexis Sanchez according to eurosport, also strongly linked with Juve though.

How many teams are you lads planning to field next season? You're linked with everyone.

How many teams are you lads planning to field next season? You're linked with everyone.

Same every summer, here is the current linked with list (some of these are very tenuous and others a bit cold)
    Goalkeeper
    Vorm - Swansea
    McCarthy - Reading
    Marshall - Cardiff
    Navas - Levante

Defenders
    Richards - City
    Caulker - Cardiff
    Lovren - Southampton
    Cole - Chelsea
    Moreno - Seville
    Shaw - Southampton
    Rodriguez - Wolfsburg
    Reid - West Ham
    Bertrand - Chelsea

Midfielders
    Milner - City
    Lallana - Southampton
    Can - Leverkusen
    Shaqiri - Bayern
    Martinez - Bayern
    Diame - West Ham
    Mascherano - Barcelona
    Rakitic - Sevilla
    Song - Barcelona

Forwards
    Remy - QPR
    Bony - Swansea
    Sanchez - Barcelona
    Son - Leverkusen

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

yaya toure ‏@Toure_yaya42

Everything dimitry said is true . He speaks for me . I will give an interview after world cup to explain

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Raneiri has left Monaco,Sporting Lisbon's coach is to be named as his replacement later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Craig Gardner signs for West Brom. If that's going to be the standard of most of their signings this summer then they'll be fighting relegation again next season.

Harry Rednapp must be thinking all his birthdays have come together when he sees the amount of hasbeens he has to choose from..

Scott Parker
    Joe Cole
    Rio Ferdinand
    Ameobi
    Johnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Harry Rednapp must be thinking all his birthdays have come together when he sees the amount of hasbeens he has to choose from..

Scott Parker
    Joe Cole
    Rio Ferdinand
    Ameobi
    Johnson

Talk of him adding Lampard, Ashley Cole and Barry to that list. A real Dad's Army

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Dani Alves and €20m to PSG, Marquinhos to Barcelona according to beIN sports, who are apparently reliable when it comes to PSG. The transfers had been mooted for a while.

• Advertisement
Advertisement